/* */

PDA

View Full Version : [General Article] Commandments of the Imams of Ahl as-Sunnah

Ansar Al-'Adl
09-11-2005, 04:45 AM
Commandments of the Imams of Ahl as-Sunnah Concerning Following the Sunnah and Avoiding Bid'ah
by 'Abd-Allah ibn 'Abd al-Hameed al-Athari

1. Mu'aadh ibn Jabal (R) said:
"O' people, you must seek knowledge before it is taken away, for indeed when its people (the scholars) die, it wll be taken away. And beware of bid'ah, innovation and sophistication, and adhere to the ancient way [i.e., the way of the Prophet (S)]." [1]
2. Hudhayfah ibn al-Yamaan (R) said:
"Do not perform any act of worship that was not practiced by the Companions of the Messenger of Allah, for the earlier generation did not leave any room for the latter to add anything (to the religion). Fear Allah, O' readers, seekers of knowledge, and follow the patho of those who came before you." [2]
3. 'Abd-Allah ibn Mas'ood (R) said:
"Whiever wants to follow an example, let him follow the example of those who have passed away, the Companions of Muhammad (S). They were the best of this ummah, the purest in heart, the deepest in knowledge, the least in sophistication. They were people whom Allah chose to be the Companions of His Prophet (S) and to convey His religion, so imitate their ways and behaviour, for they were following the Straight Path." [3]
And he (R) said:
"Follow and do not innovate, for everything has been taken care of, and you must follow the ancient way (i.e., of the Salaf)." [4]
4. 'Abd-Allah ibn 'Umar (R) said:
"People will continue to adhere to the correct way so long as they folow the footsteps [of the Prophet (S)]." [5]
And he said:
"Every bid'ah is misguidance, even if people think it is good." [6]
5. The great Sahabi Abu ad-Darda' (R) said:
"You will never be misguided so long as you follow the footsteps [of the Prophet (S)]." [7]
6. Ameer al-Mu'mineen 'Ali ibn Abi Taalib (R) said:
"If religion were based on opinion (what people think is common sense), then we should wipe the bottom of the khuff (leather slippers) rather than the top, but I saw the Messenger of Allah wiping the top of them." [8]
7. 'Abd-Allah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'Aas (R) said:
"No bid'ah is introduced but it will spread further and no Sunnah is neglected but it will dimminish further." [9]
8. It was narrated that 'Abbaas ibn Rabee'ah said: I saw 'Umar ibn al-Khattaab (R) kissing the Black Stone and saying,
"I know that you are only a stone and can neither do harm or bring benefit. If I had not seen the Messenger of Allah kissing you, I would not have kissed you." [10]
9. The just caliph 'Umar ibn 'Abd al-'Azeez (R) said:
"Stay within the limits of the people, because they stayed within the limits on the basis of knowledge, and because of their deep knowledge they did not transgress limits, even though they had the means to go as far as they wanted. If there was any virtue in going beyond the limits, they could have done that if they wanted to. If you say that innovations were introduced after they died, they were only introduced by people who went against their guidance and preferred a way other than theirs. They (the salaf) explained their way and made it clear to everyone, and they said enough about it. Whoever tries to outdo them, is going to extremes, and whoever falls short in that is lacking. There are people who fell short and were negligent, and there are people who tried to surpass them and went to extremes. Theirs is a middle path between these two extremes, and it is a straight path." [11]
10. Imam al-Awzaa'i (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"You must follow the footsteps of those who came before, even if the people reject you. Beware of personal opinions even if people make them attractive. The clear way is that of the Straight Path." [12]
11. Ayyoob as-Sakhtiyaani (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"The more the innovator increases his efforts in innovation, the further away he becomes from Allah." [13]
12. Hassaan ibn 'Atiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"No people introduce innovation into their religion but an equivalent amount of Sunnah will be taken away." [14]
13. Muhammad ibn Seereen (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"They used to say: so long as he is following the footsteps (of the Salaf), then he is on the right path." [15]
14. Sufyaan ath-Thawri (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"Bid'ah is dearer to Iblees than sin, because a person may repent of sin but he cannot repent of bid'ah." [16]
15. 'Abd-Allah ibn al-Mubaarak (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"Be one who relies on the narrations (from the Salaf) and accept of people's opinions that which may explain the hadith to you." [17]
16. Imam Ash-Shaafi'i (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"Every issue of which I spoke in a manner that goes against the Sunnah, I retract it during my lifetime and after my death." [18]
It was narrated that Ar-Rabee' ibn Sulaymaan said:
"One day Ash-Shaafi'i narrated a hadith, and a man said to him, 'Do you accept that, O' Abu 'Abd-Allah?' He said, 'If I narrate a saheeh hadith from the Messenger of Allah and I do not accept it, then bear witness that I have lost my mind.'" [19]
17. It was narrated that Nooh al-Jaami' said:
"I said to Abu Haneefah (may Allah have mercy on him), 'What do you say about the philosophical issues that people have innovated?' He said, 'That is just the words of philosophers. you should adhere to the way of the Salaf, and beware of every newly invented thing, for it is an innovation (bid'ah)." [20]
18. Imaam Maalik ibn Anas (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"The Sunnah is like the ship of Nooh (Noah). Whoever rides in it will be saved and whoever hangs back and does not get on board will be drowned." [21]
And he said:
"If 'ilm al-kalaam (philosophical rhetoric) were (beneficial) knowledge, the Sahaabah and Taabi'oon would have spoken of it just as they spoke of the rulings of Islam. But it is falsehood and points to falsehood." [22]
It was narrated that Ibn al-Majishoon said:
"I heard Maalik say, ' Whoever introduces an innovation into Islam thinking that it is good is implying that Muhammad betrayed his mission, because Allah (SWT) says:
{...This day, I have perfected your religion for you...} (Qur'an 5:3)
So, whatever was not part of the religion on that day, cannot be part of the religion today.'" [23]
19. Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, the Imam of Ahl as-Sunnah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"The basic principles of Sunnah in our view are: adherence to the way of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah, following their example and forsaking bid'ah, for every bid'ah is a going astray." [24]
20. It was narrated that Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"If a man who met the early Salaf were to be brought back to life today, he would not recognize anything of Islam" - and he put his hand on his cheek, then said, "apart from this prayer - By Allah, anyone who lives in these strange times and did not meet the righteous salaf, and sees the innovator promoting his bid'ah and the one whose main concern is wordly gains calling others to join him; but Allah protects him from that and causes him to long for the righteous salaf, asking about their path and following their footsteps, and he follows their path, he will be compensated with a great reward. Be like that, in sha' Allah." [25]
21. How beautiful are the words of the scholar Al-Fudayl ibn 'Iyaad (may Allah have mercy on him) who said:
"Follow the path of guidance, and do not worry about how few are the people who follow it. Beware of the paths of misguidance, and do not be decieved by the large numbers of those who doomed." [26]
22. 'Abd-Allah ibn 'Umar (R) said to a person who asked him about something and said, "Your father forbade that":
"Is the command of the Messenger of Allah more deserving of being followed, or the command of my father?!" [27]
He (R) was one of the strongest of the Sahaabah in denouncing bid'ah and following the Sunnah. He heard a man sneezing and saying "Praise be to Allah and peace and blessings be upon the Messenger of Allah." Ibn 'Umar said to him:
"This is not what the Messenger of Allah taught us to do. Rather, he said, 'When any one of you sneezes, let him praise Allah (by saying Al-Hamdu Lillaah).' He did not say, 'and send blessings upon the Messenger of Allah.'" [28]
23. Ibn 'Abbaas (R) said to a person who opposed the Sunnah by quoting the words of Abu Bakr and 'Umar (R):
"Soon stones from heaven will be sent down upon you (as a punishment). I say to you, 'The Messenger of Allah said,' and you say, 'Abu Bakr and 'umar said'." [29]
Ibn 'Abbaas (R) spoke the truth when he described Ahl as-Sunnah in the following terms:
"You will always see a man of Ahl as-Sunnah calling people to the Sunnah and forbidding bid'ah." [30]
24. Sufyaan ath-Thawri (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"If you hear that a man in the east is a follower of the Sunnah, then send salaams to him, for Ahl as-Sunnah are becoming very few." [31]
25. Ayyoob as-Sakhtiyaani (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"Whenever I am told of the death of a man among Ahl as-Sunnah, it is as if I have lost one of my limbs." [32]
26. Ja'far ibn Muhammad said: "I heard Qutaybah (may Allah have mercy on him) say,
'If you see a man who loves Ahl al-Hadeeth, like Yahya ibn Sa'eed, 'Abd ar-Rahmaan ibn Mahdi, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Ishaaq ibn Raahawayh...' - and he mentioned others; 'he is following the Sunnah, and whoever goes against them, know that he is an innovator.'" [33]
27. Ibraheem an-Nakha'i (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
If the Companions of Muhammad had wiped over a fingernail (in wudoo'), I would never have washed it, seeking virtue in following them." [34]
28. It was narrated that 'Abd-Allah ibn al-Mubaarak (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"Know that death nowadays is an honour for every Muslim who meets Allah adhering to the Sunnah. Verily, to Allah we belong and unto Him is our return. It is to Allah that we complain of our Alienation, the passing away of our brothers, the lack of support and the emergence of bid'ah. it is to Allah that we complain of the great calamity that has befallen this ummah because of the passing away of the scholars and Ahl as-Sunnah, and the emergence of bid'ah." [35]
29. Al-Fudayl ibn 'Iyaad (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"Allah has slaves through whom He will revive the land. They are the followers of the Sunnah." [36]
30. How true are the words of Imam Ash-Shaafi'i (may Allah have mercy on him) when he described Ahl as-Sunnah in the following terms:
"When I see a man among the scholars of hadith, it is as if I have seen a man from among the Companions of the Messenger of Allah." [37]
31. Imam Maalik set out an important rule which sums up all that we have quoted from the Imams. He (may Allah have mercy on him) said:
"The last generations of this ummah can only be reformed by that which reformed its first generations. What was not part of the religion then cannot become part of the religion now." [38]
These are the words of some of the Imams of the righteous Salaf, Ahl as-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah. They are the most sincere of people, the most caring towards their ummah, the most knowledgeable of what is in their best interests and will guide them. They enjoin adherence to the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (S), and they warn against newly-invented matters and innovations. They tell us - as the Prophet (S) taught them - that the path to salvation lies in adhering to the Sunnah and teachings of the Prophet (S).

References

[1] Al-Bia'h wan-Nahy 'anha by Ibn Waddaah.

[2] Narrated by Ibn Battah in Al-Ibaanah.

[3] Al-Baghawi in Sharh as-Sunnah.

[4] Ad-Daarimi in his Sunan.

[5] Al-Laalkaa'i in Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahl as-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah.

[6] Ibid.

[7] Ibn Battah in Al-Ibaanah.

[8] Ibn Abi Shaybah in Al-Musannaf.

[9] Ibn Battah in Al-Ibaanah.

[10] Bukhari and Muslim.

[11] Quoted by Ibn Qudaamah in Lum'at al-'Itiqaad al-Haadi ila Sabeel al-Rashaad.

[12] Al-Khateeb in Sharaf Ashaab al-Hadeeth.

[13] Al-Bia'h wan-Nahy 'anha by Ibn Waddaah.

[14] Al-Laalkaa'i in Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahl as-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah.

[15] Ibid.

[16] Al-Baghawi in Sharh as-Sunnah.

[17] Al-Bayhaqi in Sunan al-Kubra.

[18] Al-Khateeb in Al-Faqeeh wal-Mutafaqqih.

[19] Ibn Battah in Al-Ibaanah.

[20] Al-Khateeb in Al-Faqeeh wal-Mutafaqqih.

[21] Miftaah al-Jannah fil-I'tisaam bis-Sunnah by As-Suyooti.

[22] Al-Baghawi in Sharh as-Sunnah.

[23] Al-I'tisaam by Imam Ash-Shaatibi.

[24] Al-Laalkaa'i in Sharh Usool Ahl as-Sunnah.

[25] Al-Bia'h wan-Nahy 'anha by Ibn Waddaah.

[26] Al-I'tisaam by Imam Ash-Shaatibi.

[27] Zaad al-Ma'ad by Ibn al-Qayyim.

[28] At-Tirmidhi in his Sunan with a hasan isnad.

[29] 'Abd ar-Razzaaq in Al-Musannaf with a saheeh isnad.

[30] Al-Laalkaa'i in Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahl as-Sunnah.

[31] Ibid.

[32] Ibid.

[33] Ibid.

[34] Abu Dawood in his Sunan.

[35] Al-Bia'h wan-Nahy 'anha by Ibn Waddaah.

[36] Al-Laalkaa'i in Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahl as-Sunnah.

[37] Al-Khateeb in Sharaf Ashaab al-Hadeeth.

[38] See Ash-Shifa' by Al-Qaadi 'Ayaad, vol. 2, p. 88.
Excerpted with slight modifications from Islamic Beliefs: A Brief Introduction to the 'Aqeedah of Ahl Assunnah wal-Jama'ah by 'Abd-Allah al-Athari, International Islamic Publishing House 2004, pp. 213-222.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-14-2007, 11:41 PM
:sl:

Wallahi a most excellent thread brother. Jazakallah Khayr for posting this.

Al-Zaara
03-30-2007, 05:06 PM

SubhanAllah... Didn't Imam Abu Hanifa comment about this?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-13-2007, 06:09 PM

^ Yeah, he did. Here's such a quote from him:

Imaam Abu Haneefah (rahimahullaah) said:
"Adhere to the Athaar (narrations) and the Tareeqah (way) of the Salaf and beware of newly invented matters, for all of it is innovation."
[Reported by As-Suyootee in Sawn al-Mantaq Wal -Kalaam, p. 32.]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Ibn Abbaas (d. 68H) said:
"Indeed the most detestable of things to Allaah are the innovations."
(Reported by al-Bayhaqee in as-Sunan al-Kubraa 4/316)

Imaam ash-Shaafi’ee (d. 204H) said:
"That a person meets Allaah with every sin except Shirk is better than meeting Him upon any one of the innovated beliefs."
(Reported by al-Bayhaqee in al-I’tiqaad p.158)

Al-Layth bin Sa’d (d. 175H) said:
"If I saw a person of desires (i.e. innovations) walking upon the water I would not accept from him."
So Imaam as-Shaafi’ee then said:
"He (al-Layth) has fallen short. If I saw him walking in the air I would not accept from him."
(Reported by as-Suyooti in al-Amr bil ‘Ittibaa wan-Nahee anil Ibtidaa’.)

Yunus bin Ubaid said to his son,
"I forbid you from fornication (zinaa), stealing and drinking wine. However that you meet Allaah with any of these sins is better to me than that you meet him with the view of Amr bin Ubaid and the associates of Amr (i.e. the Mu’tazilah)."
(al-Ibaanah 2/466).

Sa’eed bin Jubair said,
"That my son accompanies a sinful and cunning scoundrel who is a Sunni is more beloved to me than that he accompanies a devoteful and worshipful Innovator."
(al-Ibaanah no. 89).

Imaam Al-Barbahaaree said,
"However, if you see a person whose manner and opinion is despicable, he is wicked, sinful and oppressive, yet he is a person of the Sunnah, accompany him and sit with him, since his sin will not harm you. If you see a man who strives hard and long in worship, is abstemious, being continual in worship, except that he is a person of innovation, do not sit with him, do not listen to his words and do not walk along with him, since I do not feel safe that you will not eventually come to be pleased with his way and go to destruction along with him."
(Sharh us-Sunnah no. 149).

Imaam Ahmad said,
"The graves of Ahl us-Sunnah from those who committed the major sins are like gardens. And the graves of Ahl ul-Bid’ah from amongst their abstemious pious ones are hollow and empty. The sinners of Ahl us-Sunnah are the Awliyaa’ (Friends) of Allaah and the abstemious pious ones of Ahl ul-Bid’ah are the Enemies of Allaah."
(Tabaqaat ul-Hanaabilah 1/184).

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Imam Al-Barbahaaree (May Allah's Mercy be upon him) said:
"The innovators are like scorpions. They bury their heads and bodies in the sand and leave their tails out. When they get the chance they sting: the same with the innovators who conceal themselves amongst the people, when they are able, they do what they desire."
[Sharhus-Sunnah, p.94]

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Imaam al-Barbahaaree (d.329H) - rahimahullaah – said,
"Beware of small innovations, because they grow and become large. This was the case with every innovation introduced into this Ummah. It started as something small, bearing a resemblance to the truth, which is why those who entered into it were misled, and then were unable to leave it. So it grew and it became the religion which, they followed, so they deviated from the Straight Path and thus left Islaam. May Allaah have mercy upon you! Examine carefully the speech of everyone you hear from, in your time particularly. So do not act in haste, nor enter into anything from it, until you ask and see: Did any of the Companions of the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) speak about it, or any of the (early) Scholars? So if you find a narration from them about it, cling to it and do not go beyond it for anything, nor give precedence to anything over it and thus fall into the Fire.’’
Sharhus-Sunnah (no. 8)

’Abdullaah Ibn ’Umar (radiyallaahu ’anhu) once he heard a man sneezing and saying, ‘Praise be to Allaah and may the salaah and salaam (the praises of Allaah and blessings of peace) be upon Allaah's Messenger.’ So he said to him,
What is this? This is not what Allaah’s Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) taught us, rather he said, ‘‘When one of you sneezes then let him praise Allaah.’’ And he did not say: And also send salaah (blessings of peace) upon Allaah’s Messenger.’’
Related by at-Tirmidhee (no. 2738) and al-Mizzee in Tahdheebul-Kamaal (no. 552-553). The isnaad is good.

It is reported from Sa’eed Ibnul-Musayyib (d.90H) – rahimahullaah - that he saw a man praying after the appearance of dawn, more than two rak’ahs, making many rukoos (bowings) and sajdahs (prostrations), so he forbade him from this.
So the man said, ‘O Aboo Muhammad (i.e. Ibn al-Musayyib)! Will Allaah punish me for my Prayer?’ So he said, ‘‘No! But He will punish you for opposing the Sunnah (Prophetic guidance).’’
Related by al-Bayhaqee is as-Sunanul-Kubraa (2/466) and the isnaad is authentic.

A man came to Imaam Maalik (d.179H) - rahimahullaah - and said,
‘O Aboo ’Abdullaah! Where shall I enter the state of ihraam (the dress for one intending to do Pilgrimage)?’ So Imaam Maalik replied, ‘‘From Dhul-Hulayfah, where Allaah’s Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) entered the state of ihraam.’’

The man then said, ‘But I wish to enter the state of ihraam at the mosque by his grave.’ So Imaam Maalik said, ‘‘Do not do that, for I fear for you the fitnah (trial).’’

So the man said, ‘What fitnah are you referring to, since it is only a few extra miles.’ So Imaam Maalik said, ‘And what fitnah can be greater than for you to think that you have attained some virtue, which Allaah’s Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) fell short of. Have you not heard the saying of Allaah,
‘‘Let those beware who oppose the command of the Prophet, lest they are afflicted with fitnah (trial),or lest they are afflicted with a painful punishment.’’
[Sooratun-Noor 24:63]

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Imaam Maalik said:
"Nothing will benefit the Ummah to come except that which benefited its early generations.'"
[Related by Imaam Ibn 'Abdil Barr in At-Tamheed].

'Abdullaah Ibn Mas'oud said:
“The Jamaa'ah is what conforms to the Truth, even if you are alone."
[Reported by Ibn 'Asaakir in Taareekh Dimashq with a saheeh isnaad]

Imaam Muhammad Al-Barbahaaree said:
"Know that Islaam is the Sunnah and the Sunnah is Islaam and one of them cannot be established Without the Other."
[Quoted from his book Sharhus-Sunnah. English Translation].

He also said:
"Everything (some) worshippers claim as hidden knowledge ('Ilmul Baatin), which is not found in the Qur 'aan and the Sunnah, is innovation and misguidance. It is not to be acted upon nor called to."
[Ibid]

Abu Qilaabah said:
"A people never introduces an innovation, except that they make use of the sword lawful."
[Ad- daarimee with a saheeh isnaad].

Al-Fudayl Ibn 'lyaad said:
"Indeed, I love those whom Allaah loves. They are those whom the Companions of Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) are safe. I hate those whom Allaah hates. They are the people of the deviant sects and innovations."
[Reported by Abu Nu’aym in Al-Hilyah with a saheeh isnaad. See Sharh us Sunnah by AI-Barbahaaree, English Translation, p. 94].

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-24-2007, 04:18 PM
From The Prohibition of Studying Works on Speculative Theology (Kalam) - A treatise including a refutation of Abu al-Wafa ‘Ali b. ‘Aqil al-Hanbali - By al-Imam Muwaffaq al-Din Ibn Qudama al-Maqdisi (d. 620/1223)

[Author’s counsel]

I bid you, my brothers—may God guide you rightly!— to adhere to the Book of your Lord and to the Sunna of your Prophet, to hold fast thereto, and to avoid all innovations, For every innovation is a heretical innovation, and every heretical innovation is an error. Do not allow yourselves to be deceived by the discourse of a person who will turn you away from the orthodox path which you have been following, no matter who he may be. For he is incapable of adding anything to that which has been said by your Prophet, or by his worthy Companions or by your Imam—Imam of the Sunna by universal agreement— Abu ‘Abd Allah Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Hanbal, or by the Imams who were his contemporaries or his predecessors. You have already heard, and we have already mentioned to you, some of the doctrines which they followed and some of their counsels; do not deviate therefrom through the doctrine of someone, though you may think him to be a great Imam. For it has been related that Mu’adh b. Jabal said: “[I warn you against] the deviation of the sage.”[67] ‘Umar has said: “Three things are detrimental to religion: the slip of a learned man, the disputation of a hypocrite who uses the Quran, and Imams who cause others to go astray.”[68] It is related that the Prophet said: “I fear for my community three things: I fear for them the slip of a learned man, the judgment of a despot, and a pursued heresy.”[69] And again he said: “I have left with you two things; so long as you cling to them, you will never err: the Book of God and the Sunna of His Apostle.”[70]
God has given you a lesson in this man, whom you believed to possess a wealth of religious knowledge, by showing you how he has committed his foul sin; so do not allow yourselves to be deceived by anyone. Moreover, take care not to enter into discussions treating of innovated questions which have not been the subject of some past tradition, or treated by an approved Imam; for they are innovated heresies; and your Prophet has warned you against innovations, by saying: “Beware of innovated things, for every innovation is a heretical innovation and every heretical innovation is an error.”[71] And again: “The most evil of things are the innovated ones.”[72] Such are, for instance, the question of diacritical points and vocalization; the question of the eternal punishment of the partisans of heretical innovation in hell-fire; and other innovations and stupidities such as these, concerning which there is no tradition so that it may be followed, nor a statement from an approved Imam so that it may be hearkened to. Plunging into a discussion of it is a dishonour; whereas silence about it is an honour. He who speaks about it is a heretic, plunging into heretical innovation, and guilty of the most evil of things, by virtue of the testimony of established tradition. And God will be asking him who has discussed it to give an account of his discussion, and He will demand of him his argument and his evidence.
Sahl b. Abd Allah al-Tustari said: “No one has ever innovated a thing in matters of religious knowledge, but that he is questioned about it on the Day of Resurrection; should he conform to the Sunna, well and good; otherwise, he shall perish.” But he who holds his tongue from these stupidities shall not be questioned about them; and he has an excellent example to follow in the Apostle of God, his Companions and their Successors. We are more learned in the traditions than you are, and more tenacious in our search for them; and we have contented ourselves with following the path of our Salaf and avoiding the innovations which came after them. Will you not therefore content yourselves with this? Is not that which was fit for them, fit for us? Have we not in the Sunna ample scope to avoid heretical innovation?
He who does not find fit what proved to be fit for the Prophet, for the Salaf and the Imams, may God not make ample his means of subsistence. He who is not contented with what they were contented with, nor pleased with what they were pleased with, nor follows their path, but weakens in spirit and censures them, belongs to the faction of Satan: “he only invites his party that they may be among the inmates of the Blaze.”[35:6] He who is not contented with the straight path, will enter upon the path of Hell. He who travels a path other than that of his Salaf, will be brought thereby to his perdition. He who deviates from the Sunna is deviating from the path which leads to Paradise.
Therefore, fear God, and fear for your souls, for the matter is a difficult one. There is nothing outside of Paradise but hell-fire; there is nothing outside of the truth but error; and there is nothing outside of the Sunna but heretical innovation. Now you know that every innovation is a heresy; therefore, do not discuss an innovation—Peace be with you, and the mercy and blessings of God upon you! May God keep us steadfast on the path of the Sunna, and grant us refuge from heretical innovations, and the cause of temptation, by virtue of His mercy and beneficence.
Guard yourselves—may God be merciful to you—from obstinate dispute with regard to the Quran, and from inquiry concerning matters which God did not impose upon you as a task, and which serve no practical purpose. For it is related that the Prophet said: “Obstinate dispute with regard to the Quran is unbelief.”[73] The Salaf have prohibited disputing about God, His attributes and His names. We have been prohibited to examine God mentally. Malik has said: “Discussion concerning religious matters, I hate; and the inhabitants of our town have not ceased to hate it. I do not approve of discussion except with regard to that which serves a practical purpose. But as for discussion concerning religious matters and God, silence is more preferable to me; because I have seen the people of our town prohibiting the discussion of religious matters, except that which serves a practical purpose.”[74] Now what Malik said has been followed by the community of scholars and jurisprudents—the people of tradition and fatwas, both in ancient and in modern times. Only the partisans of heretical innovation have opposed this; but as for the community, it follows what Malik said.
If you have a desire for discussion, and the extension of the range of your knowledge, inquire into fiqh, its problems and its regulations; inheritance ab intestat and its regulations; vested inheritance; the division of the deceased’s estate; the problems of acknowledgment; guardianship, which has many facets; then wills and legacies, and their regulations. After that, the problems concerned with algebra, calculus, and the mensuration of land. In all of this, you have ample scope to forego plunging into that from which you have been prohibited—matters which your Salaf did not discuss, which your Imam has disapproved, which will not bring you to good, and in which you cannot help but innovate a heresy in which your Imam would be Satan. God will hate you for it; and your Prophet will declare himself free from you on account of it; and your brothers, people of the Sunna, will abandon you for your having abandoned the Sunna of your Prophet; and you will be kept back from the Pool of your Prophet, pursuant to the tradition wherein it is related that on the Day of Resurrection, people will come to the Pool, and come close to the Prophet. The Prophet has said; “I will say then, ‘O my Companions! O my Companions!’ And I will be told: You do not know what they innovated after you had left them!’ Therefore, I will say to them, ‘May God alienate you from good, and curse you!’ ”[75]God grant us and you protection from this!
But if you adhere to the Sunna of your Prophet, accept his admonition, follow the path of your Salaf, and abstain from busying yourselves with that which does not concern you, you maybe assured of your safety, and rejoice at the annunciation of excellence, dignity, and eternal dwelling in the abode of everlastingness “with the Prophets, the Truthful Ones, the Martyrs and the Righteous upon whom God has bestowed favour; good company are these!”[4:69]—God grant us and you the right direction towards what pleases Him, by virtue of His mercy. Amen.
Praise be to God, Lord of the Worlds. The blessings of God and His salutations on our Master Muhammad, our Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of prosperity, the leader to prosperity, and the Apostle of mercy.

[67] Collected by al-Hakim who declared it Sahih, al-Tabarani in Mu’jam al-Kabir and Ibn ‘Asakir in Tarikh Madinat Dimashq [68] Al-Darimi

[69] Dha’if, collected by al-Tabarani in Mu’jam al-Kabir and al-Daylami in al-Firdaws.

[70] Hasan, mentioned by Malik in al-Muwatta as mu’dhal, however, it is strengthened by a similar tradition related by Ibn ‘Abbas and collected by al-Hakim.

[71] Sahih. See footnote #25

[72] Ibid.

[73] Sahih, collected by Ahmad, al-Bazzar, al-Hakim and Abu Nu’aym in al-Hilya.

[74] Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr, Jami’ Bayan al-‘Ilm 2/938, ed. Abu al-Ashbal, Dar Ibn al-Jawzi 1998

[75] Al-Bukhari, Muslim and Ahmad

Umm Yoosuf
09-30-2007, 09:56 PM
It is reported from Abû Idrîs Al-Khawlânî – Allah have mercy on him – that he used to say:

I would rather hear of a fire in the masjid than hear of a bid’ah in it without there being anyone to do away with it. Never do a people innovate a bid’ah in their religion except that Allah removes a sunnah from them.

Ibn Waddâh, Al-Bida’ p92.

Abû Idrîs Al-Khawlânî was the chief judge of Damascus in his time, its main scholar, renowned for his exhortations. He was born in the year of the Conquest of Makkah and his father is regarded as a Companion. He narrated from a number of the Companions. He died in 80H, Allah have mercy on him.

http://sayingsofthesalaf.blogspot.co...in-mosque.html

It is reported from Sufyân Al-Thawrî – Allah have mercy on him – that he said:

A person who sits with a heretic (an adherent of bid’ah) will not escape one of three things:

Either he will become a trial (fitnah) for others, or some deviation will occur in his heart and he will slip and be cast into the Fire by Allah, or he will say to himself, ‘By Allah, I don’t care what they say, I am confident about myself;’ but whoever feels secure from Allah about his religion even for the blinking of an eye, Allah will take his religion away from him.

http://sayingsofthesalaf.blogspot.co...-affected.html

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Shaikhul-Islaam Muhammad Ibn Aslam at-Toosee (died 242), rahimahullaah, spoke the truth when he said:
"Whosoever honours, gives respect to, or venerates a person of bid'ah, then indeed he has aided in the destruction of the Religion"
Ibn Waddaah, no. 120, Aboo Shaamah, no. 36.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Al Haafidh Ibn Rajab said in his commentary to al Arba'een:
'So his (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) statement, "Every innovation is misguidance." is from the all encompassing word, not excluding from it anything. And it is the greatest principle from the principles of the Religion. And it is associated with his (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) statement, "Whoever invents in this affair of ours, what is not from it, then it is rejected." So whoever invents things and attributes them to the religion, and it does not have an origin in the religion to return to, then it is misguidance, and the Religion is free from those things. And equal to that are matters of beliefs, or actions, or statements whether hidden, or manifest.'
Jaami'ul 'Uloom Wal Hikam, p. 233

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Mu’âdh b. Jabal – Allâh be pleased with him – used to say:
Ahead of you are times of trials (fitan) in which there will be much wealth and in which the Qur’ân will be opened and taken (read) by believers and hypocrites, men and women, young and old and freemen and slaves. At that time it is likely that there will be people who will say, “Why aren’t the people following me when I have read the Qur’ân? They will not follow me until I invent something else.So, beware of everything that is innovated (in religion), for those things that are innovated are misguidance.
Ibn Waddâh, Al-Bida’ p62, Al-Lâlakâ`î, Sharh Usûl I’tiqâd Ahl –Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jamâ’ah Vol. 1 p125 and others.

imam bukhari
01-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Assalaam o alaykum,

jazaakAllaahu khair for the posts

brotherubaid
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
The sunnah the better , N may Allah reward u all for all the posts

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.