View Full Version : Covering the Face

Ummu Amatullah
09-12-2005, 10:30 AM
-----

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
:sl:
Muslim girls are tough. Girls in general have to go through a lot of crap. I have much respect for them.

S_87
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM

umm who wrote this?

alsoIt was narrated from Safiyyah bint Shaybah that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) used to say: When these words were revealed – “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” – they took their izaars (a kind of garment) and tore them from the edges and covered their faces with them.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4481

The following version was narrated by Abu Dawood (4102):

May Allaah have mercy on the Muhaajir women. When Allaah revealed the words “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)”, they tore the thickest of their aprons (a kind of garment) and covered their faces with them.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Ameen al-Shanqeeti (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

This hadeeth clearly states that what the Sahaabi women mentioned here understood from this verse – “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” – was that they were to cover their faces, and that they tore their garments and covered their faces with them, in obedience to the command of Allaah in the verse where He said “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” which meant covering their faces. Thus the fair-minded person will understand that woman’s observing hijab and covering her face in front of men is established in the saheeh Sunnah that explains the Book of Allaah. ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) praised those women for hastening to follow the command of Allaah given in His Book. It is known that their understanding of the words “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” as meaning covering the face came from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), because he was there and they asked him about everything that they did not understand about their religion. And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We have also sent down unto you (O Muhammad) the Dhikr [reminder and the advice (i.e. the Qur’aan)], that you may explain clearly to men what is sent down to them, and that they may give thought”

[al-Nahl 16:44]

It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah that the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to go out at night to al-Manaasi’ (well known places in the direction of al-Baqee’) to relieve themselves and ‘Umar used to say to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Let your wives be veiled.” But the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do that. Then one night Sawdah bint Zam’ah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), went out at ‘Isha’ time and she was a tall woman. ‘Umar called out to her: “We have recognized you, O Sawdah!” hoping that hijab would be revealed, then Allaah revealed the verse of hijab.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 146; Muslim, 2170.

It was narrated from ‘Urwah that ‘Aa’ishah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray Fajr and the believing women would attend (the prayer) with him, wrapped in their aprons, then they would go back to their houses and no one would recognize them.
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 365; Muslim, 645.

abdullahi
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
According to Sheikh al-Albaani rahimuhallah, it's mustahab and not obligatory

From the Book Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kadafi
09-12-2005, 05:39 PM

The 'ulema [past and present] differed whether niqaab is waajib or not. This issue requires more research.

:w:

Abunaaila
09-12-2005, 06:04 PM
The Obligation of Veiling The Face and the Hands:
By Sheikh Zayd bin Muhammad Hadee Al-Madkhalee

Insha Allah this book helps. There is indeed iktilaaf amongst the ulema of Ahlus Sunnah. Both sides of this disagreement should be seen.

Alhamdulilah the view of Sheikh Albani has been presented for us. Insha Allah see what the other ulema are saying in the above book.

May Allah Ta'ala rectify our affairs and forgive us our sins, Ameen.

Um Idrees
09-13-2005, 09:15 PM
As-Salamu Alaykum,

I agree with amani.

Wa-asalamualaykum

Ballerina
09-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Asalamualaikum,

agree with amani here as well!

the sahaba would never leave any act that was pleasing to Allaah Subhwanata'ala. they would never say this is just sunnah, as in to say its not important but they would always compete with each other to do all acts commanded by Allaah and here we are .. telling each other .. its this not this its this not this .. im not saying that niqaab is sunnah fard or whatnot but its just a thought.

We have no right to say what Allaah has not said .. no one has the right to make lawful what Allaah has made unlawful and vice versa .. read for yourself what Allaah has said concering times when disputes arrive among Muslims:

“If you differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is best and most commendable in the end.

Have you seen those (hyprocrites) who claim that they believe in that which has been sent down to you, and that which was sent down before you, and they wish to go for judgement (in their disputes) to the Tâghût (false judges, etc.) while they have been ordered to reject them. But Shaitân (Satan) wishes to lead them far astray.

And when it is said to them: "Come to what Allâh has sent down and to the Messenger (Muhammad )," you (Muhammad ) see the hypocrites turn away from you (Muhammad ) with aversion.

How then, when a catastrophe befalls them because of what their hands have sent forth, they come to you swearing by Allâh, "We meant no more than goodwill and conciliation!" [4:59-62]”

Now go back and see what happend when these verses were revealed. since the women are commanded to put on hijab see what the most pious women of that time did .. (check amani's post)

(al-Ahzaab:36) It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allâh and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allâh and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error.

Destiny
09-15-2005, 08:06 AM
As salaam mu alaikum, :sl:

Its a fact that the sin starts with the eyes. i.e. after what you have seen with your eyes other parts of our body starts to function. A beautiful face when exposed lead to the vulgur stares which every one knows. Mainly its the intention which counts.
Does it matter if a women covers her to safeguard herself. there is a saying that if you want to be shameless then do what you want.

May Allah lead us to straight path.
:love:

akulion
12-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Niqab can not be compulsory for one reason only.....

Veiling the Face while in Ihram:

Yahya related to me from Malik from Nafi that Abdullah ibn Umar used to say that a woman in ihram should wear neither a veil nor gloves.

Al-Muwatta Hadith Hadith 20.15
(Taken from Alim Software - reference numbers correspond to the software reference system)

further more....
Fiqh-us-Sunnah
Fiqh 5.49

4. Wearing any sewn clothes, such as a shirt, hooded robes, cloak, underpants or wrapping anything around the head, a cap or a fez, etc. Likewise one is not permitted to wear clothes dyed with a nice fragrant dye or to wear shoes or sewn slippers.

[b]As for a woman pilgrim, she may wear all of the above. But she is forbidden to use perfumed clothes, a veil that covers the face, and gloves.[b]

Ibn 'Umar reported: "Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade women pilgrims from wearing gloves, veils, and clothes dyed with saffron or warse. (A sweet smelling plant that was used to dye clothes yellow) Besides these, they may wear anything else, any color, silk clothes, ornaments, trousers, or a shirt or shoes." (Reported by Abu Daw'ud, Al-Baihaqi and Al-Hakim, with a sound chain of authorities)

Bukhari reported that 'Aishah wore a dress that was dyed with +usfur (Usfur: safflower, the red dyestuff prepared from its flower heads) while she was in a state of ihram, and she said: "A woman must neither wear a veil to cover her face, nor wear clothes that are dyed with saffron or other fragrant dyeing material." Jabir said: "I do not consider 'usfur a scent."
'Aishah held that there is no harm for women pilgrims in wearing ornaments, black or rose-colored clothes and shoes.

Bukhari and Ahmad have reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "A pilgrim woman must neither cover her face nor wear gloves." This proves that a woman in the state of ihram should not cover her face and hands. The scholars, however, say that there is no harm if she covered her face with something other than a veil. She may also use an umbrella or similar item as a screen between men and herself. But if she is afraid of tempting others she must cover her face.

'Aishah said: "Men on camels used to pass by us while we were with the Prophet (peace be upon him) and in the state of ihram. We would cover our faces with our gowns when they passed by us, and then uncover them again." This is reported by Abu Daw'ud and Ibn Majah. 'Ata, Malik, AthThawri, Ash-Shafi'i, Ahmad, and Ishaq hold that it permissible for women to cover their faces in the state of ihram.
so one has to think..if Niqab was such a compulsory act why would it be disallowed at the MOST important Muslim ritual of Hajj ?

Duhaa
12-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah but they say now that because there is so much in the fitnaa in the world that is why it is necessary to cover our faces.
During ihram we shouldnt wear veils but because of fitnaa females should cover their faces. They do this by wearing their veil slightly apart from the face with the help of a cap or likewise.
Hope you understand.

akulion
12-31-2005, 06:21 PM
salam alaikum

dont get me wrong I am not "anti-niqab" In fact I think only the most God fearing of women wear Niqab because they wish to be most modest. Like in the case of the wives of the Prophet(sa)

I just wanted to add that article because I found it in Fiqh us Sunnah so it helps people insha'Allah

But I do sincerely believe Niqab is not compulsory though.

sapphire
12-31-2005, 06:42 PM
many ulema say that niqab is wajid for this day and age........and the number of niqabis is increasing allhamdulliah......but no one is certain what wearing niqab is.......difference in opinion.......

*LJ*
12-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Salam, I don't think wearing niqab is compulsory because I thought that women were not allowed to cover the face during salah, is that right???

Snowflake
12-31-2005, 10:13 PM
I agree with amani too. It doesnt make sense to have to cover even your ankles and leave your face bare. After all men are going to be attracted to a nice face, before anything else.

Halima
12-31-2005, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *LJ*
Salam, I don't think wearing niqab is compulsory because I thought that women were not allowed to cover the face during salah, is that right???

This subject is still a controversy, and it hasn't been agreed upon scholars. Some scholars agree and some disagree. Some of them say that its sunnah to wear the niquab( the better of the protection) other scholars say that a hijab is sufficient enough for protective covering.Therefore, it is your own personal decision/judgement of wether you would choose to wear niqub or not. If you in any way feel that wearing niquab will benefit you more then go right ahead and wear it. On the contrary if you feel that wearing niquab is to big of a step for you to jump into then don't force yourself.

allahu al'm

Barak Allahu feekem.

please see

http://www.islamicboard.com/103841-post57.html

ummbilal
12-31-2005, 10:43 PM
shouldnt we just agree to disagree on this and stop fitnah in the ummah??

azim
01-01-2006, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummbilal
shouldnt we just agree to disagree on this and stop fitnah in the ummah??
Very good point. We know what is DEFINATELY fard, covering the hair. Alhamdulillah.

PS: Isn't this topic against forum rules.

12.This is not a Fiqh discussion board. Prolonged threads arguing over Fatwas and the details of Islamic law will be closed. Avoid asking questions that require a Scholar or Shaykh, as there is no one on the board qualified to answer your questions. Please use other knowledgeable means such as a scholar, Imam or knowledgeable person in your area or provide sources.

Salam.

Halima
01-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Therefore,

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.