/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Attn Arabic Speakers - Advise on how to learn the Arabic language!

Md Mashud
09-29-2007, 10:22 PM
:-[ Do you think it is possible to self-teach yourself Arabic? Im at the level of, able to read the Quran, but cannot speak/interpret or understand what it means. How long would you think it would take one on self-study basis to get somewhat fluent in the language? I know this is possible with some european languages such as French/Spanish/German, but what about Arabic?

The goal won't be to be able to interpret Quran, as I know that requires you to be a Mujtahid, however I would love to be able to atleast have basic fluency in talking, understanding and writing.

Any good ways to learn alone? You think it is possible, yes? No? How long?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
09-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I know English speakers who became fluent in French, Spanish and German in less than a few months, listening to tapes from Michel Thomas, who shows you that english is nothing more than badly pronounced and misspelt French, Spanish and German.

I also know a person or two, who learned spoken fluency in Arabic from Pimsleur tapes in less than a month (they already were able to write and understand much of written texts)

Note: being able to converse with an Arab is no guarantee that it will also enable one to understand Quraan.

Md Mashud
09-29-2007, 10:47 PM
being able to converse with an Arab is no guarantee that it will also enable one to understand Quraan
100% agreed, I am aware of its complexity :).

Jazakallah Khair for the info!

Woodrow
09-29-2007, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55

Note: being able to converse with an Arab is no guarantee that it will also enable one to understand Quraan.
I will not only agree I will state that some dialects will even prove to be a hinderance in understanding the Qur'an. I originally learned Arabic in Morocco and I found that as a result of that I have a very difficult time in understanding proper pronunciation and my vocabulary is still filled with many slang phrases.

I am learning more about proper Qur'anic Arabic daily, but my pronuciation is still horrible, although my colloquial Moroccan Arabic is understandable to Moroccans.

If you are not a native Arabic speaker, I suggest you learn proper Qur'anic Arabic first and than concentrate on the vernacular spoken Arabic. I would suggest if you do desire to learn the daily spoken Arabic, Egyptian or Saudi dialects would be best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Md Mashud
09-29-2007, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I will not only agree I will state that some dialects will even prove to be a hinderance in understanding the Qur'an. I originally learned Arabic in Morocco and I found that as a result of that I have a very difficult time in understanding proper pronunciation and my vocabulary is still filled with many slang phrases.

I am learning more about proper Qur'anic Arabic daily, but my pronuciation is still horrible, although my colloquial Moroccan Arabic is understandable to Moroccans.

If you are not a native Arabic speaker, I suggest you learn proper Qur'anic Arabic first and than concentrate on the vernacular spoken Arabic. I would suggest if you do desire to learn the daily spoken Arabic, Egyptian or Saudi dialects would be best.
Thanks for the tip.

InToTheRain
09-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I heard that the dialect of the people of yemen is the closest to the Language of the Qur'an today, is this true?
:-\

Woodrow
09-30-2007, 12:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
I heard that the dialect of the people of yemen is the closest to the Language of the Qur'an today, is this true?
I have also heard people say that , but I have no first hand knowledge if that is true.

Anwarica
09-30-2007, 03:13 PM
:sl:
Yemen, Egypt, Sudan .. each one claims that their dialect is the closest to official Arabic .. I might agree with Yemen :) .. In Egypt, the problem is that young people developed their own language with many weird expressions!

Md Mashud, Whatever happens and whatever you decide, stick to official Arabic and never care about dialects since any Arabian can understand your official Arabic and you can't understand Quran properly without that official langauge.

As for talking, you can watch Arabic Islamic videos and pronounce like them .. it will be better if there's subtitles provided. :)

Re.TiReD
10-01-2007, 01:42 PM
:salamext:

I've been told that it is impossible to self teach yourself arabic, I did try and found it extremely difficult. However, I think it is possible, depending on your level of determination.

Books I used are:-

Book I need for my arabic degree:-

and I'd reccommend both, although they are slightly pricey. :w:

jzcasejz
10-01-2007, 01:49 PM
As-Salaamu'alaykum

Check this thread out Bro, should be of some help: http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/3...ng-arabic.html

Ummu Sufyaan
10-02-2007, 05:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
:salamext:

I've been told that it is impossible to self teach yourself arabic, I did try and found it extremely difficult. However, I think it is possible, depending on your level of determination.

Books I used are:-

Book I need for my arabic degree:-

and I'd reccommend both, although they are slightly pricey. :w:
not really, but i guess you would need a teacher to help you with pronouciation of the letters. i recommed the book called "easy quran reading-For teaching the arabic alphabet, diacritics, and eading for beginners" By Moustafa Al-Gindy.
i know its teaches how to read the quran, but i actually learnt a few grammer rules that i wasn't aware of before. It also has a breif section of tajweed. the only bad thing about it really is the translation is a little funny. but you can still understand the main point.

Danah
10-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Asalam Alykom all

I think if you want to be good in Arabic, you have to work hard first, then you have to be with a well knowen Arabic speaker because you will with him the correct pronouncation of the letters. and also, you will practice with him the speaking skills

Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid

Danah
10-03-2007, 05:43 AM
sorry but about my previuos post I want to say that about the closet to Quran, it is true I guess

Re.TiReD
10-03-2007, 01:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
not really:
i don't understand sister?

Learning how to pronounce the letters is always helpful, but if you can recite the Qur'aan you're probably all the way there masha'Allah.

I have only just begun my arabic degree, if you'd like to ask anything, or if you'd like me to post up my notes- i'd be more than happy to help Insha'Allah. :w:

Ummu Sufyaan
10-04-2007, 04:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
i don't understand sister?

Learning how to pronounce the letters is always helpful, but if you can recite the Qur'aan you're probably all the way there masha'Allah.

I have only just begun my arabic degree, if you'd like to ask anything, or if you'd like me to post up my notes- i'd be more than happy to help Insha'Allah. :w:
what i meant was, its not really hard to teach yourself arabic (im refering to the grammer) however, if your're teaching yourself, and your're begginer, than you may need a teacher for help with the pronounciation. i wasn't refering to brother Md Mashud, just generally speaking.

Woodrow
10-04-2007, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
what i meant was, its not really hard to teach yourself arabic (im refering to the grammer) however, if your're teaching yourself, and your're begginer, than you may need a teacher for help with the pronounciation. i wasn't refering to brother Md Mashud, just generally speaking.
The pronunciation is nearly impossible to get without an instructor to correct you. Many pronunciations can not be duplicated with english letters.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-04-2007, 12:14 PM
very true.

Seeker_of_truth
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Rosetta Stone Arabic very easy to follow. You can download it from bit torrent software. Or purchase it! www.rosettastone.com

Re.TiReD
10-22-2007, 01:31 PM

^^ quite good Masha'Allah, and also... a book called 'Al-kitaab', both available from amazon.com. I'm pretty sure our arabic worksheets are taken from there. All the best. :w:

mohammed essa
10-23-2007, 05:40 AM
al salam alikom
i want to add that if you want to good in arabic you should integrate with an arabic people ,talk with them , understand them.
many of the arab who are used to go to Britain and usa for many years you c that they become fluent in english
if you know any one (arabic person) in your chat list in msn or anything try to speak with him in voice so he can correnct ur mistakes and u to communicate with him

for me i am egyptian who speak with the egyptian dialect not very professional in classical arabic from the grammatical point of view

if u speak egyptian all the arab will understand you because of the softness of this dialect and the egyptian movies and songs which are popular in all the arabic countries

salam

Servant Of God
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM

hope :inshallah u guys are in the best of health

i was just wondering do any of u guys now and good softwares to learn arabic

:w:

Woodrow
10-26-2007, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Servant Of God

hope :inshallah u guys are in the best of health

i was just wondering do any of u guys now and good softwares to learn arabic

Rosetta Stone is probably the best, but the full version is costly. If you have had a little exposure to Arabic an excellent program is BYKI.

http://store.digitalriver.com/servle...uctID=47838300

If you just want to develop enough to be able to take part in self study courses written in Arabic Arabic School is a very good starting point. In a short time you will learn the alphabet, pronunciation and a few basic words.

It will give you enough so you can benefit from Arabic texts written in Arabic.

http://www.bestshareware.net/arabicschool.htm

NoName55
10-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Salam alaikum

Rossetta stone is good but you need to be on computer to use it, while pimsleur can be used anywhere any time (like a baby learns its mother tongue) it wont take year and half like babies but less than three weeks if you are persistent

edit:
Rosseta stone includes pictures and Arabic letters/words, so it is better in that sense

jzcasejz
11-03-2007, 04:26 AM
Anyone ever used the al-Kitaab book? Is it any good...?

Re.TiReD
11-03-2007, 12:12 PM
:salamext: I was told to get it...but my order got cancelled and I dint bother reordering as I already have Alif baa and mastering arabic, I think they are sufficient as they also have DVD's and CD's with them to make learning easier. Salaam

Re.TiReD
11-03-2007, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
Anyone ever used the al-Kitaab book? Is it any good...?
:salamext: is there any reason for you asking? is it compulsory for your course or something? if not I think you'd be best off getting other books instead.

jzcasejz
11-03-2007, 03:56 PM
^ Well nah, I'm not a part of any Arabic course. Just that I heard many different views about that book. I might give it a go InshaAllaah, sounds quite decent.

Anywayz, Jazaakillaah Khayr...

jouju
11-03-2007, 05:28 PM
as for any language u need the exposure and practise
i would also love to know arabic....writng and reading is easy...but speakin???

niler
11-04-2007, 09:41 PM
i dnt think the yemeni dialect is near in meaning to the quran

BintYousoff
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I wonder too...Mecca is quite close too...
U cant learn arabic on your own,u need a teacher for it..its not gonna be the same

Umm Safiya
11-13-2007, 08:59 PM
This series is also very good, for self-studying.. http://www.greatwaytoarabic.com/

Ummu Sufyaan
11-14-2007, 06:43 AM
you can those books at darussalaam bookstores as well. im not sure about the casettes, but last time i went they did have the books.:sunny:

muslim1
11-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Nothing like living with Arabic speaking people :okay:

Loay Adnan
11-15-2007, 10:05 PM

My advice:

1 - Learn Official Arabic which is closest to wholly Quran words, and all arabic people can coomunicate with, do not learn dialect.

2- You need an arabic teacher/instructor in addition to books and programs.

3- You need to practice speaking by communicating with others in arabic.

anyway I have searched the internet and found the following website which gives lessons to learn Arabic. I hope insha'alah that this can help you brothers.

http://www.mediu.org/eMaahad/eBooks/index.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.