/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Selling Christian religious items?

Michael
09-30-2007, 04:17 AM
I was wondering, what should I do with the Christian religious items that I still have? I have icons (stylized pictures of 'Isa (alayhi salam), his mother Maryam holding him, Michael the Archangel and various "holy" people in the Orthodox Church who are recognized as saints and are prayed to for intercession to God), a statue of the Virgin Maryam, a plaque with a picture of Maryam and a prayer to her. crucifixes (images of the Cross with the body of "Isa" on it), rosary beads which contain a crucifix, chaplets, an incense burner, a prayer book that contains prayers to the Triune God, holy water bottles with a crucifix on the back. and various books.

Would it be permissible to sell these items on TradeMe (online auction site like eBay)? Since I am a Muslim and know that they are sinful, would selling them to someone else who is a Christian be giving them to someone else to participate in sin? If I did sell them, would the money be haram? Would it be possible to use it for the trip to Malaysia that I am planning?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
10-01-2007, 09:22 AM

nocturne
10-11-2007, 07:44 AM
I would say chuck them into the bin.

NoName55
10-11-2007, 08:20 AM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
10-11-2007, 10:03 AM
:sl:

I know that if you have, for example, music instruments you are not allowed to sell them, you have to through them away. Likewise we are forbidden from selling alcohol.

Your Christian stuff is so much worse than alcohol and musical instruments...

Well I can't give you definite answer, just thought I would give you some insight...

Ebtisweetsam
10-11-2007, 10:33 AM
You can ask an Imam about selling them and giving the money to charity like you would if you received interest in the bank.....
Sometimes i purchase a product with an animal ingredient in it and end up throwing the product rather than giving it to my neighbour who is not Muslim.
I think there is more benefit to you throwing them for the sake of Allah SWT..... Allahu a'lam.

NoName55
10-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Was it haram to use Hagia Sophia as a Mosque since "christian stuff is so much worse than alcohol and musical instruments"?

sevgi
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
hmmmm

intresting thread..

well, i guess by selling the items you would be making them more accesible for individuals of the christian faith...more accesible at a cheaper price!

but at the end of the day, your intention is also vital...however, in this such case, the action may just override the intention...

needless to say that i am not even merely qualified to answer this query. Inshallah someone a lot more worthy will stumble across this thread and give you some advice of a more 'notable' sort.

this is just my two cents.:)

Michael
10-20-2007, 10:21 PM
I burnt the icons, and I buried the rest of the items.

YusufNoor
10-21-2007, 02:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Michael
I burnt the icons, and I buried the rest of the items.
:sl:

wow, you have quite a bit of taqwa for a brand new Muslim, Akhi!

you COULD'VE hemmed and hawed and made a proffit or at least got some cash out of the deal using any minor excuse.

BUT, you didn't! Alhumdulillah!

May Allah(swt) reward you and replace the money you could've have made with some nice halaal money! and may He(swt) assist you in your journey to Malaysia! Ameen!

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.