/* */

PDA

View Full Version : From the Fruits of Taqwaa

madeenahsh
09-14-2005, 08:29 AM
From the Fruits of Taqwaa

Introduction

All praise is for Allah, Lord of the Worlds. Peace and Prayers be upon our noble Prophet Muhammad, his family, his Companions and all those who follow in their footsteps until the Last Day.

Taqwaa is the shield for us and our families in this life, for whoever fears Allah then he is protected. It is from amongst the best provisions for a believer, benefiting him, easing his affairs for him, protecting him from Satan, causing him to enjoy high status in this world, as well as ease and good tidings at the time of death. Taqwaa is a treasure, which each one of us should seek and compete for as the virtues, blessings and fruits attached to it are vast.

Dear reader should we not race for something which can cause us to inherit Paradise, fulfil our heart’s desires and please our eyes, admit us into a place of security, among gardens and fountains, and much, much more? Who would deny or undermine such favours? Do you not want Allah as your friend or to occupy a seat of truth near the Most High?

Dear reader this book, the English translation of Min Thamaraatit-Taqwaa clearly illustrates the excellence of the muttaqee (the one who has Taqwaa) and shows that when Taqwaa affects the soul then changes should become apparent in the believer’s character, priorities and even his voice! It shows how it facilitates the believer in gaining knowledge and remaining strong, and all this is just a brief mention of what is within these covers. It has been compiled simply and concisely, with abundant Qur'aanic and Hadeeth references by the noble Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-’Uthaymeen, who is from amongst the leading Muslim scholars. May Allah reward him for all that he has done for this Ummah, and bless him in the da‘wah which he is currently engaged in.

We ask Allah to make us of the muttaqoon, and indeed success lies with Allah alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of the Worlds. Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon Muhammad , his family, his Companions and all those who follow him till the Last Day.

O believers !

Indeed the advice which Allah has given to His servants from the time of Aadam up until now, has been to have Taqwaa (fear) of Him, Glorified and Exalted be He.

The Mighty the Majestic says, And we have instructed those who were given the scripture before you and yourselves to have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah. But if you disbelieve then to Allah belongs whatever is in the Heavens and whatever is on the Earth. And ever is Allah free of need and praiseworthy."[1]

It is also the advice of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihe wa-sallam) to his nation:

Abee Umaamah Suddee ibn ‘Ujlaan al-Baahilee reports: I heard the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihe wa-sallam) giving a sermon in the farewell Hajj, saying, “Fear your Lord, pray your five prayers, fast the month of Ramadaan, pay your Zakaah, and obey your leaders, in doing so, you will enter your Lord‘s Paradise.”[2]

Whenever the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihe wa-sallam) sent a leader of a raiding party on a military expedition, he would advise him, to have a deep rooted Taqwaa (fear) of Allah and he would also advise the rest of his military party likewise.

The Pious Predecessors (salaf) did not stop giving mutual advice for having Taqwaa (fear) of Allah in their sermons, their letters and their testaments after the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihe wa-sallam) passed away.

‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab wrote to his son ‘Abdullaah: “To proceed: Verily I advise you to have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah the Mighty and Majestic, for whoever fears Him, Allah will protect him, and whoever gives a loan to Him, Allah will reward him, and whoever thanks Him, Allah will increase him.”

Alee gave advice to a man, and he said: “I advise you to have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah the Mighty, the Majestic. There is no escape in meeting Him and there is no other to meet you except Him when you reach the Hereafter, for verily Allah owns this world and the Hereafter.”

One of the righteous, wrote to his believing brother: “I advise you with Taqwaa (fear) of Allah who knows your secrets and sees your open actions, so remember Allah at every time of the night and day, and fear Allah according to His nearness, and the power He has over you. And know that He always sees you. And do not leave His Rule for another rule, nor His Dominion, for another dominion, So glorify Him, by fearing Him immensely.”

The meaning of Taqwaa is that the servant puts between himself and that which he fears, a guard that will protect him.[3]

The meaning of Taqwaa regarding Allah’s servants is “That the servant puts between him and that which he fears, i.e. gaining the anger and the wrath of his Lord, a guard which will protect him.” By obeying Him and abstaining from disobeying Him.

My noble brother, here are some sayings of our Pious Predecessors, in explaining the meaning of Taqwaa (fear) of Allah:

Ibn Abbaas said: “The ones who fear Allah, they are the ones who are wary of Allah and His Punishments.”

The Taabi’ee (successor) Talq ibn Habeeb said: “If an ordeal appears amongst you extinguish it with Taqwaa.” When asked what is Taqwaa, he replied, “Taqwaa (piety) is that you act in obedience to Allah, and hope in His mercy, upon a light from Him; and Taqwaa is leaving acts of disobedience to Allah out of fear of Him, upon a light from Him." [4]

Ibn Mas’ood said: “Speaking about the statement of Allah: "O you who believe, have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah, as you should have of Him and do not die except as Muslims. [5]

.. is that Allah is meant to be obeyed, and not disobeyed; remembered at all times, and not forgotten; and to be thanked, and we are not to be ungrateful to Him.”

So strive O my noble brother, in fearing Allah, the Mighty and Majestic, for He is entitled to be feared, revered and glorified in your heart.

[1] Soorah an-Nisaa' (4): 131. Al-Haafidh Ibn Katheer said that “Allah instructed you just as He instructed others before you to fear Him and no one else.” Tafseer Qur'aan al-‘Adheem (1/504).

[2] Reported by Sunan at-Tirmidhi, Hadeeth no.73

[3] Ibn Rajab - rahimahullaah - said: “The essence of Taqwaa is to make a shield (which guards) against Allah’s anger and punishment. That shield is to obey His commandments and abstain from His prohibitions...” (Jaami’ul-’Uloom wal Hikaam: 190/191).

[4] Talq ibn Habeeb was a famous Taabi’ee. He was known for his knowledge, piety and his recitation of the Qur’aan. Related by Ibn Abee Shaybah in Kitaabul-Eemaan (No.99) and it was declared Saheeh by Shakyh al-Albaanee.

[5] Soorah al-Imran (3): 102

Some obvious benefits, which are the results of fearing Allah, in this world:

[1] Verily, fearing Allah causes the general affairs of mankind, to become easy.

Allah, the Most High, says, And whosoever has Taqwaa (fear) of Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him. [1]

As for him, who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allah, and has Taqwaa (fear) of Him and believes in al-Husnaa (a reward from Allah), we will make smooth for him, the path of ease. [2]

[2] Taqwaa protects mankind from the harm of shaytaan.

Allah, the Most High, says, Verily those who have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah, when an evil thought comes to them from shaytaan, they remember (Allah), and indeed they then see (aright). [3]

[3] Indeed Taqwaa, is also the cause for opening up the blessings from the heaven and the earth for them.

Allah, the Most High, says, And, if the people of the towns, had believed and had Taqwaa, certainly we would have opened (bestowed) for them blessings from the heaven and the earth. [4]

[4] Taqwaa, causes the servant of Allah to be successful in distinguishing the truth from the falsehood, and to have knowledge of each one of them.

Allah, the Most High, says, O you who believe, if you have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah, He will give you a Furqaan (criterion to judge between right and wrong). [5]

Al-Haafidh Ibn Katheer (d.777H) - rahimahullaah - said: “Ibn Abbaas, as-Suddee, Ikramah, ad-Dahhak, Qataadaah and Muqaatil Ibn Huyyaan, all said about “Furqaan” that it means that it is a way out (from difficulty). Mujaahid added: A way out (from difficulty) both in this world and in the Hereafter. In a narration from Ibn Abbaas he said it means, “Salvation"; and in another narration from him, ‘being helped’. Muhammad Ishaaq said that it means: A criterion to judge between truth and falsehood. This explanation from Ibn Ishaaq is the most general of what has preceded and it is a necessary consequence of it. Since whoever has Taqwaa of Allah by obeying His commands and abandoning what He has prohibited, will be given the ability to recognise truth from falsehood. This will be the cause for his salvation, his being helped; and the cause for his worldly affairs being made easier and his happiness on the Day of Judgement. It will be the cause for his sins to be expiated by Allah, and his being granted forgiveness and Allah shielding him from the people. It will likewise be the cause of him being the recipient of a great reward from Allah, as He the Most High says: O you who believe! Have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah and believe in His Messenger; and He will bestow upon you a double portion of His Mercy and He will provide you with a light by which you will walk. [Soorah al-Hadid (57): 28]”[6]

[5] If a believer is in difficulty, indeed having Taqwaa, enables him to come out of it, and to attain provisions and ease from Allah, the likes of which he could never imagine.

Allah, the Most High, says, And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him (has Taqwaa), He will make a way for him, to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him (sources) he could never imagine. [7]

[6] Indeed Taqwaa is a means of attaining guardianship of Allah’s Deen. For verily, the guardians of Allah’s Deen are the ones who fear Him.

Allah, the Most High says, Its (true) guardians are not but the Muttaqoon. [8]

And Indeed the wrongdoers are friends and protectors of one another; but Allah is the Friend and Protector of the Muttaqeen (righteous and God fearing) [9]

[7] Taqwaa causes a believer not to be frightened by any harm caused by the disbelievers or by their plots.

Allah, the Most High, states, And if you are patient and have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah, their plot will not harm you at all. Indeed Allah is encompassing of what they do. [10]

[8] It is also the reason, for which Allah sends help from the heavens at the time of adversity, and meeting the enemies of Allah.

Allah, the Most High, says, And already had Allah given you victory at the Battle of Badr while you were a weak little force. Then have Taqwaa of Allah, so that you may be grateful. Remember when you [Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)] said to the believers, “Is it not sufficient for you that your Lord should reinforce you with three thousand angels sent down?” Yes, if you remain patient and have Taqwaa of Allah and the enemy comes rushing at you in rage, your Lord will reinforce you with five thousand angels, having marks (of distinction).And Allah made it not except as a glad tiding for you and to reassure your heart; And victory is not except from Allah, the Exalted in Might, the wise. [11]

The descending of help becomes a glad tiding for the believer an assurance for the hearts and an attainment of help from the Most Powerful, the Most Wise.

Allah made it not, but as a message of good news for you, and as an assurance to your hearts. And there is no victory except from Allah, the All-Mighty, the All-Wise. [12]

[9] Taqwaa causes a lack of enmity or grievance between the servants of Allah.

Allah, the Most High, says, Help you, one another in al-Birr and at-Taqwaa (virtue, righteousness and pied) but do not help one another in sin and transgression. [13]

Birr is the excellence, virtue and goodness present in something. This follows from the root and the derivation of this word in Arabic. Related to it is burr (wheat), which surpasses other grains in benefits and goodness. Also, a good man is described as barr (fulfilling his promise). Allah described the angels as Bararah (pious and just) and the dwellers of Paradise as abraar (righteous). Birr, then comprises of all kinds of good and perfection expected in a human being. Opposite to it is "ithm" (sinning). The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “Birr is good manners, and "ithm" is those (evil) thoughts that weave about in your chest and you fear that other people may know about them." [Reported by Muslim].

Taqwaa, on the other hand, is the means and way leading to Birr. The root of the word in Arabic means “protection”. One practicing it protects himself from the fire. Thus the relationship of Birr and Taqwaa is similar to that of health (which is a purpose) and care for the body (which is a means).

Allah has stated in the story of Mary, Then we sent to her our angel (Gabriel), and he appeared before her in the form of a man in all respects. She said, 'Indeed - I seek refuge with the Most Merciful (Allah) from you, (so leave me), if you do fear Allah.” [14]

[10] Indeed Taqwaa, causes a believer to honour the symbols of Allah (the sacred places).

Allah, the Most High, says, And whosoever honours the symbols of Allah, then it is truly from the Taqwaa of the heart. [15]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Soorah at-Talaq (65): 4

[2] Soorah al-Lail (92): 5-7

[3] Soorah al-A'raf (7): 201

[4] Soorah al-A'raf (7): 96

[5] Soorah al-Anfal (8): 29

[6] Tafseer Qur'aan al-‘Adheem (2/301-302) of Ibn Katheer

[7] Soorah at-Talaq (65): 2-3

[8] Soorah al-Anfaal (8):34. Muttaqoon literally: “those who have Taqwaa” i.e. who have piety, righteousness, fear and love of Allah, and who take great care to avoid His displeasure.

[9] Soorah al-Jathiyah (45): 19

[10] Soorah al-Imran (3): 120

[11] Soorah al-Imran (3): 123-126

[12] Soorah al-Imran (3): 126

[13] Soorah al-Maaidah (5): 2

[14] Soorah Maryam (19): 17-18

[15] Soorah al-Hajj (22): 32

[11] It is also a means by which a believer does good actions, and a cause for them to be accepted by Allah. Likewise it is a forgiveness of sins.

Allah, the Most High, says, O you who believe! Have Taqwaa (fear) of Allah and always speak the truth. He will direct you to do righteous and correct actions and will forgive you your sins and whosoever obeys Allah and His Messenger has indeed attained a great achievement. [1]

[12] Indeed Taqwaa causes a believer to lower his voice in front of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) whether that was during his life time or after his death.

Allah, the Most High, says, Indeed those who lower their voices in the presence of Allah’s Messenger they are the ones whose hearts, Allah has tested for Taqwaa (piety), for them is forgiveness and a great reward. [2]

[13] Indeed Taqwaa causes a believer to attain Allah’s Love, and this love which Allah bestows upon the believers is for this life and the Hereafter.

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said that Allah said: “There is no better way in which my servant comes close towards Me, except by the things I have made obligatory for him. And my servants who do the optional actions, keep on coming towards Me, until I Love him, and if I Love him, I become his hearing by which he hears, and his sight by which he sees, and his hand, by which he grasps with, and his feet by which he walks with, and if he asks Me, indeed I will grant him, and if he seeks protection in me, I will indeed protect him.."[3]

Allah, the Most High, says, Yes, whosoever fulfils his pledge and has Taqwaa (fear) of Allah much, then indeed, Allah loves those who are muttaqoon (righteous and God fearing). [4]

[14] Taqwaa causes a believer to attain knowledge, and it is the key to knowledge.

Allah, the Most High, says, So have Taqwaa of Allah, and Allah teaches you, and Allah is the All-Knower of each and everything.[5]

[15] Taqwaa causes a believer to become strong. A person who has Taqwaa will be protected from deviation, and straying from the Right Path, after Allah has bestowed the guidance upon him.

Allah, the Most High, says, And verily, this is My Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not other paths, for they will separate you away from His Path. This He has instructed for you, that you may become al-muttaqoon. [6]

[16] Indeed Taqwaa causes a believer to attain Allah’s Mercy and this Mercy is for this life and the Hereafter.

Allah, the Most High, says, And My Mercy embraces all things, that (mercy) I shall ordain for those who are the muttaqoon, and give zakaat; and those who believe in our Signs. [7]

[17] Taqwaa causes the believer to attain Allah’s company, and this is of two types:

1. The first is general for all of His servants, where Allah accompanies them by His Hearing, Seeing and Knowledge for verily, Allah, the Most High, is the All-Hearer, Seer, and Knower of all His servants condition.

Allah, the Most High, says, And He is with you wherever you may be. [8]

Have you not seen that Allah knows whatsoever is in the heavens and the Earth! There is no secret counsel of three, but He is their fourth (with his knowledge, while He Himself is over the throne, above the seventh heaven) nor of five, but He is their sixth not of less then that or more, but He is with them wherever they may be. [9]

2. As for the second type, it is a specific type of accompanying which includes Allah’s help, support and aid.

As Allah, the Most High stated, Be not sad (or afraid), surely Allah is with us. [10]

He (Allah) said Fear not Verily I am with you both (Moosaa and Haaroon), Hearing and Seeing. [11]

There is no doubt that this specific type of accompanying is for those who fear Allah.

Surely! Allah is with those, who have Taqwaa (fear) of Him, and those who are the doers of good. [12]

And know that indeed Allah is with those who fear him [13]

[18] Indeed they will have a good outcome on the Day of Judgement due to their Taqwaa of Allah.

Allah, the Most High, says, And the good end (Paradise) is for the muttaqoon. [14]

And verily, for the muttaqoon is a good final return. [15]

So be patient. Surely the good end is for the muttaqoon [16]

[19] Indeed it causes the believer to have glad tidings in this life, either by it being a righteous dream or by the love and praise, which the people have for him.

Allah, the Most High, says, Those who believed and used to fear Allah, for them are glad tidings, in this life of the present world, and in the Hereafter. [17]

Imaam Ahmad reported, from Aboo Dardaa that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said with regards to Allah's statement, For them are Glad tidings

"That it is the true good dream (that conveys glad tidings) which the Muslim will see, or he will be seen in it by someone else. [18]

Aboo 'Umar al-Ghafaare radhi Allahu anhu reported that he asked the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) : "O Messenger of Allah ! What about the man who does deeds which the people praise and commend him for?" The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) replied: "That is the good news in this life for the believer." [19]

[20] Taqwaa prevents a women from speaking softly, thus stopping a man who has a sickness in his heart (i.e. an evil desire for adultery).

Allah, the Most High, says, O Wives of the Prophet! You are not like any other women. If you keep your duty (to Allah), than be not soft in speech, lest he, in whose heart is a disease, should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner. [20]

[21] Indeed, it prevents injustice in matters of wealth (e.g. a will, testament etc.)

Allah, the Most High, says, It is prescribed for you, when death approaches any of you, if he leaves wealth, that he make a bequest to parents and next of kin, according to reasonable manners, this is a duty upon the muttaqoon (the pious) [21]

[22] It causes the believer to give the divorced woman her prescribed compensation.

Allah, the Most High, says, And for the divorced women, maintenance (should be provided) on a reasonable (scale), this is a duty on the muttaqoon (the Pious) [22]

[23] Indeed it causes a believer not to lose good rewards, which he has gained, for this life or the Hereafter.

Allah, the Most High, says - after He had bestowed His blessings upon Yoosuf, 'alayhis-salaam, by uniting him with his family:

Verily, he who fears, Allah with obedience to Him, and is patient, then surely, Allah makes not the rewards of the good-doers to be lost.[23]

[24] Indeed it causes a believer to gain guidance.

Allah, the Most High, says, Alif Laam Meem. This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are the muttaqoon. Who believe in the unseen, establish prayer, and spend out of what we have provided for them.[24]

Those are upon (right) guidance from their Lord, and it is those who are successful.[25]

[1] Soorah al-Ahzab (33): 70-71

[2] Soorah al-Hujarat (49): 3

[3] Saheeh al-Bukhari (english trans.) vol.8, Hadeeth no. 509.

[4] Soorah al-Imran (3): 76

[5] Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 282

[6] Soorah al-An'aam (6): 153

[7] Soorah al-A'raf (7): 156

[8] Soorah al-Hadid (57): 4

[9] Soorah al-Mujadalah (58): 7

[10] Soorah at-Taubah (9): 40

[11] Soorah Ta-Ha (20): 46

[12] Soorah an-Nahl (16): 128

[13] Soorah at-Taubah (9): 36

[14] Soorah Ta-Ha (20): 132

[15] Soorah Sad (38): 49

[16] Soorah Hud (11): 49

[17] Soorah Yunus (10): 63-64

[18] Musnad Imaam Ahmed and Sunan at-Tirmidhi.

[19] Saheeh Muslim (english trans.) Hadeeth no.6388

[20] Soorah al-Ahzab (33): 32

[21] Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 180

[22] Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 241

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.