/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interfaith fast for an end to Iraq war

glo
10-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I came across this article, and thought it might be of interest to people here at LI.

Religious leaders representing tens of millions of Americans have stood in the shadow of the U.S. Capitol calling religious communities of various traditions to a day of fasting and prayer to end the Iraq war.

[...]

Ancient practices were used at the news conference in the call to the nation. The ram's horn, or Jewish shofar, was sounded to "wake up" a nation. Ashes were placed on the leaders' foreheads as signs of repentance. A bell was tolled to call America's people of faith to join together on October 8 to fast from dawn to sunset, breaking the fast with their Muslim sisters and brothers.

"When you are fasting for Ramadan, you are enhancing your sense of compassion," said Dr. Sayeed Syeed from the Islamic Society of North America. "We will be asking mosques to open their doors to people of other faiths around the world on October 8 for prayer and dialogue."
[...]
Full article here.

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
10-02-2007, 06:28 AM
wow.... so many religious groups endorsed this event.

glo
10-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I found another article on this topic here.
Among those religious leaders organizing or endorsing this event are: Rabbi Arthur Waskow, Shalom Center, Philadelphia; Sayyid M. Sayeed, Islamic Society of North America, Plainfield, Ill.; the Rev. Shanta Premawardhana, staff executive for interfaith relations and the Rev. Michael Livingston, president, National Council of Churches; Jean Stoken, Pax Christi Roman Catholic peace ministry; Tarunjit Singh Butalia, moderator of Religions for Peace USA; Rick Ufford-Chase, Presbyterian Peace Fellowship and Christian Peace Witness, and Bishop Christopher Epting, The Episcopal Church.
And one from what looks like an Islamic site (mods, please check the content) here.
We call on all Americans to join in fasting from dawn to dusk on Monday, October 8, to call for an end to the Iraq War. On this day, people of faith in local communities across our nation will act as catalysts to transform the meaning of the day from one of conquest to community and from violence to reverence.
Just as Isaiah called the People Israel to hear the Yom Kippur fast as God’s call to feed the hungry, just as Jesus fasted in the wilderness, just as Christians through Lenten fasting and Muslims through Ramadan fasting have focused on spiritual transformation, just as Mohandas Gandhi, Cesar Chavez and others drew on fasting to change the course of history, so we call on all our communities of faith to draw now on fasting as a path toward inner spiritual transformation and outward social transformation.
Ending this war can become the first step toward a policy that embodies a deeper, broader sense of generosity and community at home and in the world.
Peace

bewildred
10-03-2007, 08:53 PM
A eucumenic fast to end a war. I hope leaders would fast, too..........

S.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
10-03-2007, 09:06 PM
the people are against the war.

the major religious leaders are against the war.

When are the leaders going to listen?

This is a good opportunity for the world to express it's opinion about the war.

north_malaysian
10-04-2007, 06:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
A eucumenic fast to end a war. I hope leaders would fast, too..........

S.
Like George W. Bush?

Amadeus85
10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
There is difference between ending the war and pulling out american troops from Iraq.Pulling out troops wont end the war but rather would turn this conflict in new Rwanda or Srebrenica. But of course you are right, this war should somehow be ended.Actually i never supported it.

Keltoi
10-04-2007, 06:55 PM
"Ending the war" might be what many American people and politicians want, but will that actually mean a peaceful turn of events for Iraqis? I have my doubts. Of course, the American presence isn't doing them alot of good either...

Eric H
10-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Greetings and peace be with you glo,

On the 3rd October 1932 Iraq gained its independence from Britain, now look at the mess we are in.

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth

Eric

Tania
10-05-2007, 01:25 PM
In 2008 will be end for sure. I think in november :-[

IbnAbdulHakim
10-05-2007, 01:27 PM
so they are stopping themselves from food and drink to stop war? :?

glo
10-05-2007, 02:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
so they are stopping themselves from food and drink to stop war? :?
Do you believe that God hears our prayers/duas?
Is fasting not a way to focus our minds closer on God and to pray with greater intensity and meaning?

Jesus said "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Now just imagine thousands and thousands of people coming together in prayer for peace ...!

On a purely human level, this - in my mind - is a great gesture from non-Muslims to their Muslim brothers and sisters. Firstly by praying for the suffering people of Iraq (who, after all are mostly Muslim) and secondly by joining in the Muslim practice of Ramadan fasting.
I would hope that Muslims see it in the same way. :)

Will you join in the prayer for the end of war in Iraq, brother?

Peace

IbnAbdulHakim
10-05-2007, 03:04 PM
^ now i understand, thank you for clarifying and i think its extremely noble :)

but dont you think physical action is also required... such as a huge unity to topple the corrupt leaders lol.

sorry im dreaming a bit :X

IbnAbdulHakim
10-05-2007, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Will you join in the prayer for the end of war in Iraq, brother?

Peace
i've been praying for the likes for a long time now, not just iraq also palestine/afghanistan/chechnya and every other place full of oppression... may Allah grant them all true justice...

north_malaysian
10-08-2007, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
In 2008 will be end for sure. I think in november :-[
Yeah... the americans might be leaving Iraq...

But Sunni-Shiite civil war?

Tania
10-09-2007, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Yeah... the americans might be leaving Iraq...

But Sunni-Shiite civil war?
It must be after a new president its elected :) The religious war will have no basis to continue, no :? They are fighting now only because they are not alone in the country. But when they will have no foreign foot there, will be peace :)

I_notGenerous
10-09-2007, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I came across this article, and thought it might be of interest to people here at LI.

Full article here.

Peace

"just pray not to repeat the same mistakes again":scared:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.