/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Spending money

jimbo123
10-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Assalaamualaikum,

I'm new so be nice.

================================================== =================================================
================================================== =================================================

1)

Let's assume I give Zakaat and money to family members. What I wanted to know was certain rules in Islam regarding spending money. For instance if I wanted to buy a watch should the amount I spend be dependent on:

a) A percentage of how much money I make.
b) What I need i.e I don't need a sportscar.
c) What's considered expensive in the times that you live (e.g. houses in London are much more expensive than they used to be)

The reason I ask is there are certain things I want to buy. Perfumes, quality clothes and a watch. I wanted to buy a (middle-range) watch that costs about £300 but it is made to a high standard with good materials and is automatic... that means it's mechanical and if serviced can work for decades unlike a cheaper Quartz watch that will last a few year.

I think there was a hadith saying that it's not being extravagant if you spend a 1/3 of your income on perfume. Please let me know if there is something like that.

2)

A lot of people save up their money just because in this day and age it's a sensible thing to do. What did Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) used to do? Are there hadiths for this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
srrehman2007
10-02-2007, 05:39 AM
i spoke with a consultant about your question. as far as we know there isn't any "rule" on how much you can spend or not. it only says that you should give zakat of 2.5% of your total savings for the year.

jimbo123
10-02-2007, 11:23 AM
jazakallahukhairun! though i won't be spending too much on luxuries...

UnknownMuslim
10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
:sl:

Brother it is best to be modest in our expenditure.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jimbo123
10-02-2007, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by UnknownMuslim
:sl:

Brother it is best to be modest in our expenditure.
true say but I'm sure there are things where Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) would have wanted us to spend a little bit extra such as perfume and clothes (during Eid).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.