/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Now you can eat more chocolate!

Zarmina
10-03-2007, 04:30 AM
After Iftaar of course. :D

=================================================

Chocolate 'aids fatigue syndrome'

A daily dose of specially-formulated dark chocolate may help cut chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms.
Patients in a pilot study found they had less fatigue when eating dark chocolate with a high cocoa content than with white chocolate dyed brown.

Researchers from Hull York Medical School said the results were surprising but dark chocolate may be having an effect on the brain chemical serotonin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7018055.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
JAZAKALLAH KHAIR :D

mosheen
10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
good info :) time to go have a mug of ovaltine!

Malaikah
10-03-2007, 10:50 AM
:sl:

But dark chocolate doesn't even taste good!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Md Mashud
10-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Scientific research is highly unreliable. Especially when it comes to measuring "fatigue", considering the psychological impact already by just having chocoloate may make someone better perform naturally.

Never trust researches!:P

rukayya
10-03-2007, 03:31 PM
assalamu alaikum
my mum dont let me have chocs
she says they give you spots

Nawal89
10-03-2007, 03:44 PM
chocolate gives me migraines if i eat too much, real bad ones. I cant even finish one bar ...it gets really bad.

Haidar_Abbas
10-03-2007, 06:12 PM

HAHAHAHAHAH NICE!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Al-Zaara
10-03-2007, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Selam aleykum,

Wrong. :cry:Dark chocolate has most choco in it, ey? So it makes it real chocolate, with real taste... not only "chocolate". It is the best.

It's white chocolate that tastes like nothing! ^o)

guyabano
10-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Cacao is basically bitter, in the 'black' Chocolate is more of it, and less creamy milk. Thats why less calories in fat and less sugar also. > double benefit !

Kittygyal
10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Hum........ Not good

bewildred
10-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Dark chocolate is THE connoisseurs' one. I'm what we call a chocolate freak. I love all kinds of chocolate. Milka and Hershey's are the topic words of my day,lol.

S.

Pk_#2
10-03-2007, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Hum........ Not good
Agree wiv Snowy,

I HATE ITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :X

Isambard
10-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Rosher is the best kind of chocolate or creamy Lindt.

If you disagree, then you suck :P

syilla
10-04-2007, 02:24 AM
but is the sugar that is not healthy....

Has anyone try licking the raw cocoa (cocoa fruit), it is the best.

but chocolate is made from its seed (cocoa bean) , which is bitter and hard to bite. :D

History of chocolate

The tasty secret of the cacao (kah KOW) tree was discovered 2,000 years ago in the tropical rainforests of the Americas. The pods of this tree contain seeds that can be processed into chocolate. The story of how chocolate grew from a local Mesoamerican beverage into a global sweet encompasses many cultures and continents.

The first people known to have made chocolate were the ancient cultures of Mexico and Central America. These people, including the Maya and Aztec, mixed ground cacao seeds with various seasonings to make a spicy, frothy drink.

Later, the Spanish conquistadors brought the seeds back home to Spain, where new recipes were created. Eventually, and the drink’s popularity spread throughout Europe. Since then, new technologies and innovations have changed the texture and taste of chocolate, but it still remains one of the world’s favorite flavors.
How to make chocolote

-Elle-
10-04-2007, 02:44 AM
:awesome:

Dark chocolate's my favorite!And how it's good for you health too!

ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!

...even though I highly doubt that this scientific research is true...but shhh, no one needs to know that :)

Woodrow
10-04-2007, 02:57 AM
In some Mexican sauces called Mole, the base ingrediant is cocoa. They are quite spicy BBQ sauces and have no resemblance to the taste of chocolate.

Chocolate is know to have ingrediants that are percursors to some neuro transmitters and as such can be safe mood enhancers or pain relievers. The study is very reasonable. But, I don't think you will see the day a Dr. will be writting prescriptions for chocolate bars. It will more likely result in a pill or with my luck an injection.

snakelegs
10-04-2007, 05:07 AM
mmmmmmmmmm....it's gotta be dark chocolate.
for some reason, i never eat chocolate when it's hot. but winter is coming....:p
one of the consolations of the colder weather.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-04-2007, 10:20 AM
after going through this thread im quite put off !

KeeKee
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
i dont like chocolate much...

SirZubair
10-05-2007, 07:22 AM

Even though Dark Chocolate is much much healthier for ones health, compared to Dairy Milk Chocolate,........

...i agree, dark chocolate doesn't taste good! Not 1 bit!

piXie
10-05-2007, 07:06 PM

Re: Now you can eat more chocolate!
my mum hides it from me :-\

al Amaanah
10-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Lol exactly.

Woodrow
10-06-2007, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Even though Dark Chocolate is much much healthier for ones health, compared to Dairy Milk Chocolate,........

...i agree, dark chocolate doesn't taste good! Not 1 bit!
You are being carefully monitored by the International Dark Chocolate Lover's Anti Defamation League. Further derogatory comments about the flavor of dark chocolate will be met with strong legal repercussions.

Now repeat after me:

Dark Chocolate is the best.
Dark chocolate is tastier than the Rest.

Don't dilute Chocolate down with useless sugar and milk,
Keep it natural, pure and smooth as silk.

True chocolate is 100% pure plant,
don't turn it into sweet goo only fit for an ant.

Memorize that and remember anti dark chocolate comments will be seen as:

Al-Zaara
10-06-2007, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
You are being carefully monitored by the International Dark Chocolate Lover's Anti Defamation League. Further derogatory comments about the flavor of dark chocolate will be met with strong legal repercussions.

Now repeat after me:

Don't dilute Chocolate down with useless sugar and milk,
Keep it natural, pure and smooth as silk.

True chocolate is 100% pure plant,
don't turn it into sweet goo only fit for an ant.

Memorize that and remember anti dark chocolate comments will be seen as:

I'd say Ameen to that. :p

lol

Tania
10-06-2007, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Now repeat after me:

[/CENTER]
:bravo: well said :giggling:
We always use dark chco in the cakes :statisfie

Muhammad
10-06-2007, 01:59 PM

Here's what I found:

A Short History of Chocolate

No one really knows when chocolate was discovered, but the earliest records of it are from approximately 2000BC.

Chocolate was very valuable to the Aztec people (in fact, the Aztec name for chocolate means "gift from the gods"), and the beans were used as currency and given as special gifts, as well as being made into drinks. The Aztec's chocolate drink was made with chili peppers and other spices, so it was not at all sweet.

Chocolate was "discovered" by the Spanish in the 1500s, however, they kept it secret for over one hundred years. The Spanish did not use chili peppers in their chocolate, preferring to drink it hot and sweetened.

When chocolate reached France and England in the 1700s, chocolate houses became very popular, much like today's coffeehouses. The English began adding milk to their chocolate drinks and enjoyed it as an after dinner beverage. The drink eventually traveled to the American colonies, and became very popular after the Boston tea party and the tea boycott.

Nearly a century later, solid chocolate treats were being perfected. In the early 1900s, a Dutchman invented the cocoa press. The cocoa press is used to press the cocoa butter out of cocoa beans. The beans can then be ground and sifted into cocoa powder. Further experimentation and refinement has led to the chocolate we know and love today.

Historical uses of chocolate:

-Wealthy Aztec and Mayan people (cocoa beans were used as currency) believed that they would gain wisdom and power by drinking chocolate.

-Montezuma, purportedly, drank nothing but chocolate, and believed it to be a powerful aphrodisiac.

-Supposedly, Napoleon carried chocolate with him and ate it when he needed quick energy.

-Europeans often drank chocolate to sooth or settle their stomachs.

How to Taste Chocolate

You didn't know you'd been doing it wrong, did you?

To taste and experience chocolate like a professional, follow these easy steps:

Look The piece of chocolate should have a nice, soft shine.

Listen Hold a square of chocolate up to your ear and break it in half. Darker chocolates will have a sharper snap, while white chocolate will be softer.

Smell Hold the chocolate under your nose and take several quick sniffs. White chocolate will smell more like vanilla, milk chocolate will have a delicate chocolate aroma, and dark chocolates will smell stronger.

Taste Finally. Put the chocolate in your mouth and let it melt a little before eating it. The lighter the chocolate, the faster it will melt. This is because lighter chocolates have more cocoa butter. Observe things like texture and other flavors.

Important Things and Terms to Know

Percentages Most chocolate bars indicate a percentage on them. Higher percentage = higher cocoa content. Cocoa butter is separated from the cocoa beans, and during the mixing of chocolate, both butter and cocoa powder made from the beans are mixed with other ingredients.

While you don't need to know exactly what the percentages mean, you should know:

White chocolate contains cocoa butter, but no cocoa powder.

The average milk chocolate is usually 30 – 40 percent cocoa.

Dark chocolate can come in many varieties. 50 – 56 percent is about average. 60 – 70 is quite dark. 70 and higher is very dark and is often bitter.

Vocabulary

Chocolate Liquor – Chocolate, straight from the bean, ground into a liquid. There is no alcohol in it, despite the name.

Cocoa Butter – Natural fat extracted from chocolate liquor. It has little or no aroma.

Cocoa Powder – The solid that is left after the cocoa butter has been extracted from the chocolate liquor. This can also go through a Dutch Process.

Dutch Process – A process that reduces the natural acidity of cocoa powder. It makes the cocoa milder.

Myth vs. Fact

While chocolate does contain fat, there is no evidence that it raises cholesterol.

Chocolate does not cause or aggravate acne. In fact, professional dermatologists do not link acne with diet at all.

Chocolate can be lethal to dogs. Just two ounces of milk chocolate can be fatal for a 10-pound puppy.

While chocolate is not an aphrodisiac, it does contain a natural substance that may stimulate the same bodily reactions as falling in love.

Since chocolate comes from a natural source (Theobroma cacao tree) it contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals including, copper, magnesium, iron, and zinc.

One of the causes of PMS is a drop in pre-menstrual progesterone levels. The addition of magnesium to the diet increases progesterone and eases the symptoms.

Chocolate has the highest natural magnesium content. Magnesium deficiencies can result in: hypertension, heart disease, joint problems, diabetes, and PMS. Eating dark chocolate (with 60 - 70% cocoa) can be very beneficial.

The healthiest chocolate is dark chocolate with a high cocoa content (60 - 70 % or higher) because it is low in sugar and fat and high in nutrients.

Chocolate and You

Storing If chocolate is stored in a warm environment too long, it will develop what is called bloom. This is grayish blotches and streaks on the outside of the chocolate. This is simply the cocoa butter forming into crystals. It almost always happens on my chocolate chips, but it does not seem to have an adverse effect in baking.

Just store your chocolate some place cool and dry. It can be refrigerated or frozen (for about 6 months) but it probably isn't necessary.

Melting You should always melt your chocolate in a double boiler. If you do not have a double boiler, you can improvise by filling a medium sized pot with about 1/2 inch of water and placing a smaller pot on top of the larger pot. After your chocolate starts to melt, stir it constantly. I mean that. If you just let it sit there it will seize, meaning that it becomes separated, lumpy and dry. So just keep stirring.
And:

Chocolate is a common ingredient in many kinds of sweets, such as chocolate bars, candy, ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies, chocolate mousse, and other desserts. This ingredient is made from the fermented, roasted, and ground beans taken from the pod of the tropical cacao tree, Theobroma cacao, which was native to Central America and Mexico, but is now cultivated throughout the world.

The Impact of Chocolate

Chocolate usually refers to bars made from the combination of cocoa, solids, fats, sugar, and other ingredients. It is often produced as small molded forms in the shape of squares, animals, people, or inanimate objects to celebrate festivals worldwide, such as eggs for Easter, Santa Claus for Christmas, and hearts for Valentine's Day. Chocolate can be made into drinks, such as hot chocolate, as originated by the Aztecs and Mayans.

Types of Chocolate

There are three different types of chocolate. Here are the three types:

1. Cocoa is the solids of the cacao bean.

2. Cocoa butter is the fat component.

3. Chocolate is the combination of the solids and the fat.

Now that we know what the three types of chocolates are, there are two main jobs for creating chocolate candy. These two are the chocolate makers and the chocolatiers. Chocolate makers produce couverture chocolate from harvested cacao beans. Chocolatiers take the finished couverture to make chocolate candies, such as bars, baked goods, etc.

Chocolate History and Modern-Day Use

The word, chocolate, originates from the Nahuathl language of the Aztec of Mexico. It comes from the Nahuathl word xocolatl, which is a combination of the words xocolli (butter) and atl (water); also represents the Mayan god of fertility. The earliest record of cacao use took place approximately 2,600 years ago. During this period, chocolate residue that was found in an ancient Mayan pot implied that the Mayans were drinking chocolate.

Approximately two-thirds of the world's cocoa is produced in western Africa. Like many food industry producers, individual cocoa farmers are at the mercy of world markets. Chocolate prices may vary from $945 to $5,672 per ton, in just a few years.

Chocolate Production

During harvesting, the beans are removed from the pod and left in pile or bins to ferment for three to seven days. The chocolate taste comes from the fermentation process.

To prevent mold growth, beans must be dried quickly-best to spread the beans out in the sun. Beans are roasted, graded, and ground. The residue product is cocoa powder, which is removed from the resulting chocolate liquor either by being pressed or by the Broma process.

With blending, the basic blends of ingredients for the various types of chocolate are:

Dark chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, and sometimes vanilla.

Milk chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, milk or milk powder, and vanilla.

White chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, milk or milk powder, and vanilla.

Manufacturers develop their own blends based on dark, milk, and white chocolate, but various proportions of different elements are used.

Conching is the grinding process. It produces cocoa and sugar particles smaller than the tongue can detect, maybe the smooth feel in the mouth. High-quality chocolate is conched for 72 hours, lesser grades approximately four to six hours.

The final process is called tempering. Uncontrolled crystallization of cocoa butter generally results in crystals of various sizes, some or all large enough to be viewed with the naked eye. It caused the chocolate surface to appear spotted and matte and causes chocolate to crumble rather than snap when broken.

There are two classic ways to tempering chocolate. One is working the melted chocolate on a heat-absorbing surface until thickening indicates the presence of sufficient crystal seeds. The chocolate is gently warmed to working temperature. Another way is stirring solid chocolate into melted chocolate to inoculate the liquid chocolate with crystals.

Storing is very sensitive to temperature and humidity. The ideal storage temperature is between fifteen and seventeen degrees Celsius (59-63 degrees Fahrenheit) with a humidity of less than 50%. Chocolate should be stored away from other foods as it can absorb different aromas.

Potential Health Benefits and Risks

In addition to being an appetizer, chocolate also has beneficial effects. For example, dark chocolate is a rich source of the flavonoids epicatechin and gallic acid, which are thought to possess cardio protection. Cocoa possesses a pivotal antioxidant action, protecting LDL oxidation, perhaps more than other polyphenol antioxidant-rich foods and beverages.

There are also some reported risks associated with chocolate. According to some studies, there are indications that cocoa flavonoids may possess anticarcinogenic mechanisms, but more evidence is needed for this theory. The major concern that nutritionists have is that even though eating dark chocolate may favorably affect certain biomarkers or cardiovascular disease, the amount needed to have this effect would provide a large quantity of calories which, if unused, would promote weight gain.

Chocolate Addiction

Chocolate has a really good taste, sometimes so good that it is addicting. Believe it or not, there is such thing as chocolate addiction. The following are the ingredients that cause many of us to become addicted to chocolate:

Sugar: For example, chocolate bars, unlike cocoa, contain large amounts of sugar.

Theobromine: This is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate and one of the causes for chocolate's mood-elevating effects.

Phenethylamine: Often described as a "love chemical." This is metabolized by the enzyme MAO-B, preventing significant concentrations from reaching the brain. This causes endorphin releases in the brain.

Caffeine: This stimulant is present mainly in coffee and tea. This exists in chocolate in very small amounts.

Chocolate consists of a number of raw and processed foods that originates from the seed of the tropical tree called the cacao. Many people may wonder how these little beans have this much impact on the world's food appetite and other benefits. Just thinking about the different types of chocolate, cooking processes, and its physiological effects is making one's mouth run water more than before the story of chocolate.

Sources:
http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/healthandfitness/a/chochealth.htm
http://nutra-smart.net/cocoa.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate

Tania
10-06-2007, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Chocolate Addiction
Thats really shocking. Its only a small daily pleasure, its not addiction :-[

Intisar
10-06-2007, 08:58 PM
:sl: I prefer Twix and KitKat Chunky. Speaking of which, I'm going to have them both for my afuur(iftaar). :D Dark chocolate doesn't taste good, white chocolate does though! Hershey's cookies and cream mmm, wait, does that even count as white chocolate? :rollseyes

SirZubair
10-07-2007, 04:35 AM
My sister in law made some 'chocolate balls', she used dark chocolate.

disgusting. tastes like fish balls..

syilla
10-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Chocolate Addiction

Chocolate has a really good taste, sometimes so good that it is addicting. Believe it or not, there is such thing as chocolate addiction. The following are the ingredients that cause many of us to become addicted to chocolate:

Sugar: For example, chocolate bars, unlike cocoa, contain large amounts of sugar.

Theobromine: This is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate and one of the causes for chocolate's mood-elevating effects.

Phenethylamine: Often described as a "love chemical." This is metabolized by the enzyme MAO-B, preventing significant concentrations from reaching the brain. This causes endorphin releases in the brain.

Caffeine: This stimulant is present mainly in coffee and tea. This exists in chocolate in very small amounts.

Chocolate consists of a number of raw and processed foods that originates from the seed of the tropical tree called the cacao. Many people may wonder how these little beans have this much impact on the world's food appetite and other benefits. Just thinking about the different types of chocolate, cooking processes, and its physiological effects is making one's mouth run water more than before the story of chocolate.
so...we should only eat the cocoa powder :? :D

is a good think i only addicted to sour stuffs. :D

Miss Palestine
10-15-2007, 03:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
JAZAKALLAH KHAIR :D

MY FAV CHOCOLATEE!!!!!!! lolzz

Eric H
10-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Greetings and peace be with you all

Chocolate produced by child slave labour

About forty percent of all chocolate is produced from cocoa farms from Cote Dioire, many of the farms use child labour. Worse still many of the children have been sold into slavery to produce the chocolate that we love to eat. You can read more at this site.

http://www.stopthetraffik.org/chocolatecampaign/

Stop the traffik is a campaign to try and stop people being sold into slavery,and you can sign a petition to add your voice against slavery. After reading it a couple of weeks ago I have since stopped buying chocolate other than Fair Trade chocolate which guarantees not to use child slave labour.

It is very sad and wrong that children or any one else should have to suffer simply for me to enjoy chocolate.

In the spirit of praaying for Trade Justice

Eric

sadia faisal
12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
yay! more chocolate for meee!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.