/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating the arrival from travel of a respected individual?

Ummu Sufyaan
10-04-2007, 05:43 AM
:sl:
today i was reading up on eid, and came across this:
Singing on `Eid
Singing accompanied by the beating of duff is an approved type of lahw (vanity) for women during the `Eid. `Aa'isha (R) said: "Allah's Messenger, sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam, entered (my house) when I had two little girls singing the songs of Bu`aath (pre-Islamic war lore) and beating on a duff; so he lay down on the bed and turned his face away. Then Abu Bakr came in and scolded me saying, 'The flutes of Shaytaan played in the presence of Allah's Messenger?' So Allah's Messenger (saws), turned toward him and said, 'Leave them alone, O Abu Bakr! Every people have a `Eid, and this is our `Eid.' [Saheeh al-Bukhari, Muslim, Ahmad and ibn Maajah]
Al-Baghawi commented on this hadith by saying:
"Bu`aath is a famous battle of the Arabs, in which there was a great victory for the Aws over the Khazraj. The war between the two tribes went on for one hundred and twenty years - until Islam came. The two girls were singing poetry that described fighting and courage, the mention of which is supportive to the Deen. But as for songs that involve mentioning sins, announcing prohibited matters, and displaying evil deeds - it is all prohibited. And it is impossible that anything like that would ever take place in the Prophet's (saws) presence without him objecting adamantly to it. And as for his saying 'this is our `Eid', it provides the reason for displaying joy in the two `Eids as being a symbol of the Deen, because they are different from other days." [Sharh us Sunnah 4:322]
From this hadith, and other subsequent evidence, it is important to note the following:
A) The Prophet (saws) did not object to Abu Bakr's statement that the duff, being a musical instrument, is a flute of Shaytan. This is taken as an approval from him (saws) of this general rule, which conforms with other authentic evidence prohibiting the use of musical instruments.
B) He (saws) modified Abu Bakr's understanding by indicating that there is an exception to this general rule on specific occasions.
C) The occasions in which Islam permits women to beat on the duff are the following:
1. The two `Eids
2. weddings, and
3. to celebrate the arrival from travel of a respected individual.
for the part that is highlighligted, i have never heard of this. so does anyone know what it is based on?? i.e can i have a daleel.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
10-05-2007, 06:01 AM
sorry, dont worry, found it already.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.