/* */

PDA

View Full Version : children and fasting

hawaisat
10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
when is the right age for a child to start fasting. my daughter is 6 and fasted for the first time last wkend although she wants to fast all through the week the school does not allow it. only kids at the age of 10 can fast. i remember my first fast was when i was 7.
is there a proper age as to when on can introduce fasting
this from a very confused sista

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
10-05-2007, 01:23 PM
my niece also said her school doesnt let her fast.

i dont think theres an age limit to fasting, allahu a'lam !

my niece is 8/9 btw, i forget exactly what she is :confused:

islamirama
10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hawaisat
when is the right age for a child to start fasting. my daughter is 6 and fasted for the first time last wkend although she wants to fast all through the week the school does not allow it. only kids at the age of 10 can fast. i remember my first fast was when i was 7.
is there a proper age as to when on can introduce fasting
this from a very confused sista

Islam is obligatory on the adults. A child is an adult when he/she hits puberty and all their sins will be recorded at that point. As for kids, it varies parent to parent as to when they want to have their kids practice it. Some start early and some late and some all the way thru and some half way. Many Muslims in asia do what you call a "birdy fast", basically the child gets up and fasts with you in the morning and by lunch time they can break their fast :) and then they can join breaking the fast at night time too with adults to get that special feeling.

Intisar
10-06-2007, 04:59 AM
:sl: I started fasted on weekends when I was in the fourth grade. Fasting should start when it becomes wajib, otherwise you can have them doing a couple of times out of the week. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.