/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malays.... need a little help.

gladTidings
10-05-2007, 08:13 PM
:sl:

Im been sick with a high fever and sore throat, tickly cough and consant head aches last couple of days. Alhamdullilah I feel a little better today. My lovely housemate is taking care of me. She is malay and gave me this very sour drink made from 'asam jawa'... Im just wondering if any malays know what it is? Where its from and its benefits/effects etc.

Dont get me wrong, I do trust my housemate shes a very caring person MashAllah. Only she found it abit difficult to explain what it is to me, so I thought someone here may know. It doesnt taste half as bad as what my parents would try on me!:hmm:

JazakAllahu Khayr.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
10-05-2007, 09:59 PM
lol...it is actually tamarind juice. Yeah you don't have to worry, alot of the malaysian use it for sore throat. :D

But i don't :X.

The fruit look like this

But usually buy it in packet

north_malaysian
10-10-2007, 02:04 AM
like syilla said... it's tamarind juice... very good for sore throat...

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Salamualikum.

Get well soon hun :)

Wether its sour or sweet, liquid or solid, Allaah will make you better insha'Allaah

Ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
gladTidings
11-08-2007, 06:51 PM

JazakAllahu Khair for your replies...

I have another question, what is gamat? :|

Yes once again I was a victim of malaysian therapy:offended:. Nah Im kidding, I dont really mind as long as it works :P. Im just wondering what the oil is made of and why it is used. I had a muscle cramp and it sort of helped to relieve it, but another friend said it can also be taken orally and helps the healing of skin tissue after surgery i.e. reduces scar formation.

syilla
11-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Gamat actually is a sea cucumber a very good medicine.

Come from Langkawi, try googling it :)

north_malaysian
11-15-2007, 11:20 PM
I dont really like the smell of gamat.:giggling:

gekk0
11-24-2007, 03:51 AM

Any wanna try to drink GAMAT water? :zip: :D

:w:

Fishman
11-24-2007, 10:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Gamat actually is a sea cucumber a very good medicine.

Come from Langkawi, try googling it :)
Dead sea cucumber as oil?!

Muslim Knight
11-24-2007, 12:46 PM
^

that picture certainly exaggerates a lot. It doesn't look that creepy or alien. I've been to Pangkor Island and encountered one. It's as benign as a stone and won't even move or bite.

Anyways, gamat really helps. In my childhood years, being active little fellow, my parents often use gamat to treat my many injuries.

north_malaysian, the smell isn't too difficult to get rid off. I've smelled even worse in petai. And that isn't medicative, but loved by my dad.

north_malaysian
11-24-2007, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
It doesn't look that creepy or alien.
Yeah.... I thought fishman put an alien pic...:exhausted

I've seen dried gamat in Langkawi before...

north_malaysian, the smell isn't too difficult to get rid off. I've smelled even worse in petai. And that isn't medicative, but loved by my dad.
You can use petai as a remedy for "buang angin" +o(

smile
11-24-2007, 08:20 PM
those pics of tamarind are making me lis for it !!!

Fishman
11-24-2007, 09:41 PM
^

that picture certainly exaggerates a lot. It doesn't look that creepy or alien. I've been to Pangkor Island and encountered one. It's as benign as a stone and won't even move or bite.
It's not what they look like that I have a problem with, its the way that its like hacking open a snail or something and using the juice as oil! :zip:

Muslim Knight
11-25-2007, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
It's not what they look like that I have a problem with, its the way that its like hacking open a snail or something and using the juice as oil! :zip:
There's a reason why they call it a sea cucumber. Cucumber!

If you aren't over that yet imagine hacking open a carrot and using the juice as oil. Meanwhile I go hack some more gamat. LOLs.

If my memory serves me right it don't take much force extracting the oil from sea cucumbers. My friend once held it limp between his hands and the gooey just starts oozing out and while the whole process certainly seem utterly disgusting it gave me a new wide area of fantasy to experience about.

I don't know how this is done commercially (i.e. for the production of gamat oil in mass)

north_malaysian
11-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't know how this is done commercially (i.e. for the production of gamat oil in mass)
gamat farms?

Fishman
11-25-2007, 04:58 PM
There's a reason why they call it a sea cucumber. Cucumber!

If you aren't over that yet imagine hacking open a carrot and using the juice as oil. Meanwhile I go hack some more gamat. LOLs.
But its not really a cucumber, cucumbers are plants not sea whatever-those things-are...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.