/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Because we're worth it

ahsan28
10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Because we're worth it

From The Sunday Times
October 7, 2007

Our shopping habits are out of control – as are debt levels. So when is this narcissistic spree going to stop?

A survey by ClearDebt, published recently in More magazine, showed that about 8 in 10 women are spending more than they earn. Of 2,000 women polled, half owed an average of £3,830 on credit cards, and 40% have been bailed out by their parents. Men may have to save up for ages for a car, a suit or a new laptop, but then they have the money to pay for it. Sorry, sisters, but the trend of “binge debt” is basically a female phenomenon.

Now, shopping is the No 1 leisure activity, rather than a boring household chore. Even when we go away for weekends we spend part of them shopping – because we’re hooked on buying stuff, and spending money has become a basic human right. We are what we buy, and we buy because we are. “L’Oréal’s slogan ‘Because you’re worth it’ has come to epitomise the banal narcissism of early 21st-century capitalism: easy indulgence and effortless self-love all available at a flick of the credit card,” says Geoff Mulgan, director of the Young Foundation think-tank.

“I don’t impulse-buy; I always think carefully before I spend money on something,” says the writer Liz Jones. Then, in the next breath, she confesses to having just bought an “elephant club chair” and, oh yes, a house. “But I’ve still got a terrible credit rating, and the bailiffs have been round. What happens is, I get what I want, and then I discover that it doesn’t make me any happier and then I get depressed.

After you’ve discovered that the new handbag will not, after all, change your life, you discover, to your chagrin, that you’re still the same person – then what?

The cunning, insidious brilliance of the slogan “Because you’re worth it” persuaded many women that debt should never be an obstacle to spending, because their only debt was to themselves.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle2562649.ece

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
10-07-2007, 11:50 AM
:muddlehea

Astaghfirullah :eek: call me a man but i hate shopping, it's equally a male/female problem

Nah i aint a femenist but you're sexist. :offended:

Malaikah
10-07-2007, 12:05 PM
:sl:

Men hate shopping! My dad and brothers are proof of that lol.

ahsan28
10-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Lavish spending is one problem, the time taken during shopping is the biggest issue :D

"Time is so important, just see yesterday, today was tomorrow" :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
amirah_87
10-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Psstt...Anyone done their eid shopping yet? :p lol j/k

You've just gotta spend your money n time wisely, and all's a cupcake inshaAllaah.

.. just stick to your debit cards and stay away from getting a credit card! :hmm:

Pk_#2
10-07-2007, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Men hate shopping! My dad and brothers are proof of that lol.
I'm in their crew, :p Big up ;D

Ahh u shud see jj shopping, she got like 1000 jackets in her tinsy wardrobe :hmm:

Malaikah
10-08-2007, 05:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
Psstt...Anyone done their eid shopping yet? :p lol j/k

Yeh, I just did! :D By myself I might add... no brothers giving me death threats lol. :happy:

syilla
10-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Alhamdulillah...i'm not the type who shop for myself... :D

ahsan28
10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Alhamdulillah...i'm not the type who shop for myself... :D
Just not possible ;D

IbnAbdulHakim
10-08-2007, 09:32 AM
:salamext:

i get a migraine if shopping lasts for more then 1 hour.

but seriously shopping seems like people wasting time, u like somethin BUY IT, dont go picking up one million things u gnna end up putting back :grumbling

piXie
10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
Astaghfirullah :eek: call me a man but i hate shopping
me too :mmokay: [alhamdulillah]

shible
10-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Rather than going on shopping for festive season's i use to shop when there is a sale and dump some stuff's

This way i can save money...

Malaikah
10-08-2007, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
but seriously shopping seems like people wasting time, u like somethin BUY IT, dont go picking up one million things u gnna end up putting back :grumbling

But we have to make sure we know what available before we buy something. We might like something more than what we already bought, or find something similar for cheaper. That is why you gotta take your time and look around!

IbnAbdulHakim
10-08-2007, 10:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

But we have to make sure we know what available before we buy something. We might like something more than what we already bought, or find something similar for cheaper. That is why you gotta take your time and look around!
if u liked somethin why look for something better :confused:

time is more valuable then that !!

shible
10-08-2007, 10:13 AM

time is more valuable then that !!
May be that is wat they call as human habits.

i hope u heard of the hadith that even if Allah grants two valley of gold then too the son of Adam ask for the Third.

It differs on the intention for going to that stuff from people to people.

some buy for their relatives

some for themselves

some for poor people

some for fame

some for their family members and so on

Malaikah
10-08-2007, 10:15 AM

Let's just say its a female thing...

IbnAbdulHakim
10-08-2007, 10:17 AM
^ i think its more of an individual thing. my older sister is exactly like me at shopping, but her husband is a complete girl, he tries on everything etc

yes guys like that DO exist :uuh: they just keep it hidden because its embarassing

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.