/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Working in Ramzaan!!!

Shorty x
10-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Salaamz,

I work in retail part time, and the place i work in is very busy, We sell everything, clothes like, for men, women, ladies, and children, inc all accessories. so you can imagine how busy it is.

I sometimes feel that, the non muslims, managers and supervisors, dont understand how difficult it is for us to work a 10 hr shift when we are fasting.

I read somewhere that non muslims, should make jobs easier for us , and not make us work so hard.

They even sometimes keep us behind an hour, so we end up opening our fast at work, and even then its just to go downstairs for a drink of water till we have to be back up again.

They are very strict, as in u have to have eveything done on time. Because i am anemic, i am always tired and havent got the energy, to work at a fast pace, and the energy that is left inside me, is all drained out by working too much. Is there any advice that anyone could give me, on maybe how to tackle this problem, or maybe talk to managers at work about being easy on us in this holy month.

I also found out that i have to work on eid, im so gutted, because im a uni student, and away from home, i am not able to spend eid with my family. I do have family near me, but its not the same. It is a religious holiday, and they should give us the day off. Its like asking them to work on xmas day. Or is it something we have to accept because we are living in a western country?

I feel that, i do so much for them , whenever they need a favour, and i have nothing in return. I wish i could leave, but as a student you need a part time job, and i am looking else where but the hours are not as good as i get here.

salaamz
shorty xx

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
10-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Ahh man :( sorry to hear that,

"Has -bi -yal-laa-hu wa ni'- mal wa-keel".

Allah (SWT) is sufficient for me and He is the Best Helper.

Yaa man yakfee min kulli shay' Walaa yakfee minhu shay'

Ikfinee maa ahammanee mimmaa anaa feeh.

O He who is sufficent from all things But nothing is sufficient from Him
Be sufficient for me in what worries me in the state I am.

La ila ha illa anta subhanaka inni kuntu minazzalimeen(Ch. Al-Anbiya (21): vs. 87)

And Yunus, when he went away in wrath, so he thought that We would not straiten him, so he called out among afflictions: There is no god but Thou, glory be to Thee; surely I am of those who make themselves to suffer loss.

source: <Link Removed>

All the best sis, ull be fine.

Kittygyal
10-08-2007, 03:11 PM
salamualikum.
Leave the job your not there jowey!

tomtomsmom
10-08-2007, 03:15 PM
May I ask, what country are you in?

As for working on eid I feel sorry for you, however there have been many times that I have had to work on Christmas day. Most retail and food places are open on christmas.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
samer
10-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Asalaam alaikum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatu,

If you want to look for a new job with an Islamic environment, try looking in this website, http://www.workhalal.com . It is a new website.

wa'salaam
Samrin

Umm Yoosuf
10-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah Sister,

Maybe you can talk to your manager and ask him/her to give you 15-20mins to eat and pray. I am sure they’ll understand. When working in retail sadly the reality of it is that the work is very demanding! Especially at this time of the year when it is nearly Christmas.

Shorty x
10-09-2007, 10:39 AM
salaamz,

hope you are all well,

thank you for emails, and the Dua's, very helpful, the whole website has been actually , thank you Umma Wasat, may be peace be upon you and your family.

Tomtomsmum? i live in the uk, so our public holidays are basically christmas and easter etc , never eid.

Thank you Samer, for the website, i didnt know that existed, i will check it out,
i keepp saying to myself, its only a month, etc, but come next year, fasts will be longer and harder, for us. They will probably just be the same then too.
What amazes me is that ONE of the managers is actually a muslim himself, we tell him all the time, but app he has no say in what happens. But i thot maybe he could atleast talk to the main manager about it, etc.

Oh Well.
Thank you everyone
Wsalaams
shorty xx

nadia85
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Salam sis I can understand what u feel I nearly always open my fast at work ,I get chance to have a quick something to eat I work at a nursing home always busy busy,as for eid I got saturday 13 of thats all

tomtomsmom
10-09-2007, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shorty x
salaamz,

hope you are all well,

thank you for emails, and the Dua's, very helpful, the whole website has been actually , thank you Umma Wasat, may be peace be upon you and your family.

Tomtomsmum? i live in the uk, so our public holidays are basically christmas and easter etc , never eid.

Thank you Samer, for the website, i didnt know that existed, i will check it out,
i keepp saying to myself, its only a month, etc, but come next year, fasts will be longer and harder, for us. They will probably just be the same then too.
What amazes me is that ONE of the managers is actually a muslim himself, we tell him all the time, but app he has no say in what happens. But i thot maybe he could atleast talk to the main manager about it, etc.

Oh Well.
Thank you everyone
Wsalaams
shorty xx
I live in USA so I don't know much about the UK. But here it is against the law for religious discrimination. Employers have to honor the employees religion. It is the same in public schools as well. Do you know if there is any such law in the UK?

Also I know that you aren't supposed to fast if it makes you ill. Does anyone know if it would be ok for her to break fast if she feels to weak to continue to work and then make up that day later on a day she isn't working??

Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 02:39 PM
:sl:

Sister i 100% sure you can take holidays off but you won't get paid for them though, so thats entirely up to you if you want certain number of days of but you will get them days of by 'non-paid'
Uk holidays are not bad as to United States holidays trust me there worse, this is nothign compared to USA holidays. You can talk to the boss and explain to her/him that you want to take specific days but not paid so therefore you can have few days off work but you will not get paid. I would say money is nothing unless you have atleast Eid day off and be with parents thats the most important thing.

Ma'assalama

Shorty x
10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
salaamz,

Thank you Sister Nadia, i will be thinking of you next time i am at work, lol, now that fast is nearly over, but i will be thinking of you, thank you xx

Kittygyal? thank you for your email, i applied for holiday through filling in a form, like were supposed to at work, wether it was a paid holiday or not, i really did not mind, to tell you the truth it didnt even cross my mind, all i wanted was to spend eid with my family.

only 4 people got that weekend off, and there are about 5/6 of us who have to work, next time, instead of applying 4 weeks before eid, i will apply 8 weeks before, because there is so much staff working at my work place, theres a limited no of places for ppl to book there hols, i got told i had to book 4 weeks befre, and i did, but apparently it wasnt enough.

I know because im anemic, i shouldn't be fasting on the days im working, but i do take one iron tablet at Sehri time, but im due another by the time it turns 1pm, and thats when my energy levels get really low, and i have to stay strong till Iftari. But im not in a bad state as some people out there. My dads diabetic, and we tell him all the time, not to fast, but hes very stubborn, and adament that he will fast. He's broken his fast once, when he nearly fainted, but he's carried on. i guess i get my stubborness from him, lol

cheers guys
shorty xx

Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 08:10 PM
salaamz, Kittygyal? thank you for your email, i applied for holiday through filling in a form, like were supposed to at work, wether it was a paid holiday or not, i really did not mind, to tell you the truth it didnt even cross my mind, all i wanted was to spend eid with my family.
Yes im Kittygyal you got that correct:sunny:, Yes you do at times where you have to fill in a forum either it's light pink or white which asks how much holiday you want.. Then the boss some of his/her department mangers pick any out and it's a random number of people can have holidays.. That happen always but it's not your boss fault cause they do it failry and if a person has more holidays taken off before then they would lessen down your holidays. Think about how many abbsenses you've had..

only 4 people got that weekend off, and there are about 5/6 of us who have to work, next time, instead of applying 4 weeks before eid, i will apply 8 weeks before, because there is so much staff working at my work place, theres a limited no of places for ppl to book there hols, i got told i had to book 4 weeks befre, and i did, but apparently it wasnt enough.
Yes next time do the order of holidays earlier because only a random of people can have holidays and it sux! Insha'Allaah next time eh?
Maybe for Christmas do the holiday organistaion first insha'Allaah.

I know because im anemic, i shouldn't be fasting on the days im working, but i do take one iron tablet at Sehri time, but im due another by the time it turns 1pm, and thats when my energy levels get really low, and i have to stay strong till Iftari. But im not in a bad state as some people out there. My dads diabetic, and we tell him all the time, not to fast, but hes very stubborn, and adament that he will fast. He's broken his fast once, when he nearly fainted, but he's carried on. i guess i get my stubborness from him, lol
Oh Masha'Allaah your pa is strong.. May Allaah reward him you and your pa for your efforts and accept your fasts and make you better Amin

Sister remember one thing money is NOTHING, if your going to work make sure your in the best health.. Don't just work for money but health comes first hun k?

Ma'assalama

Shorty x
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
SAlaamz

Yeh, because there are quite a few asians working there, they cant allow everyone to have a holiday, its a shame. but they could have played it fair, and those who didnt get a chance to have eid of last time, maybe given them the chance this time.

cheers
salaamz

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shorty x
SAlaamz

Yeh, because there are quite a few asians working there, they cant allow everyone to have a holiday, its a shame. but they could have played it fair, and those who didnt get a chance to have eid of last time, maybe given them the chance this time.

cheers
salaamz
:sl:

Yes i understand sister, not much can happen now exspecially over I-net but Ya Allaah guide them.. Amin

Hope you have a nice Eid though once you come back to your yard insha'Allaah

Always stay strong sister :coolious:

Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
10-10-2007, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samer
Asalaam alaikum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatu,

If you want to look for a new job with an Islamic environment, try looking in this website, http://www.workhalal.com . It is a new website.

wa'salaam
Samrin
wa alaikum ussalaam wa rahmatullah

i got so happy when i saw this until i realised its in america, is there any UK version?

i wanna work in an islamic environment so badly...

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Salamualikum.

^ Maybe work in a boarding school :X

Anywho i don't think there's an Islamic environment where you can work at..

Allaah hu alim

IbnAbdulHakim
10-10-2007, 02:58 PM
^ if there was just ONE, JUST one other practising brother alongside me i woulda been sooo happy...

Alhamdulillah tho, Allahs given me halal rizq. Alhamdulillah !!

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 03:00 PM
^ Oh Alhamdulilah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.