/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Walking isn't enough to keep you fit, say experts

ahsan28
10-11-2007, 03:27 AM
Walking isn't enough to keep you fit, say experts

By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
Published: 10 October 2007

Run, don't walk, if you want to maximise your chances of living a long and healthy life .

A survey by researchers from the universities of Exeter and Brunel found more than half of men (56 per cent) and over two thirds of women (71 per cent) believe moderate activities, such as walking, are most beneficial for health, counter to the evidence.

Gary O'Donovan, exercise physiologist at the University of Exeter and lead author of the research, published in Preventive Medicine, said: "Time and time again, the largest and most robust studies have shown that vigorously active individuals live longer and enjoy a better quality of life than moderately active individuals and couch potatoes.

Until the mid-1990s, the advice was that all adults should spend at least 20 minutes three times a week engaged in vigorous exercise such as jogging. Surveys in the early 1990s showed that 90 per cent of adults believed this was best for health.

The advice was changed in 1995 to 30 minutes of moderate exercise on five days a week, more than doubling the time involved. Evidence shows moderate exercise is beneficial – but not as much as vigorous exercise.

How much exercise is enough to stay healthy?

Experts recommend adults expend 400 calories a day in order to avoid gaining weight.

Approximate time it takes to burn 400 calories:

* Light to moderate activities: dusting and cleaning, 114 mins; vacuuming or mopping, 82 mins; walking briskly, 75 mins; cycling at 10mph, 71 mins; golf (walking and pulling clubs), 66 mins; mowing the lawn, 63 mins.

* Vigorous activities: tennis (doubles), 48 mins; badminton (competitive singles), 41 mins; circuit training or jogging at 5mph, 36 mins; swimming or running at 6mph, 29 mins; cycling at 16-19mph, 24 mins; running at 8mph, 21 mins.

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article3043739.ece

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Miss Palestine
10-15-2007, 03:09 AM
oh wooww....i walk a lottt nd im fit lolzz

Zarmina
10-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Yeah, I heard you have to break a sweat in order for the workout to be effective.

Isambard
10-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Is this really a surprise to anyone?:P

Any only 400calories? There is roughtly 350calories in a small bag of doritos lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Taalibah~
10-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Well before Ramadaan i used to try and do a workout at least twice a week. Have to see about getting back into action again!

jimbo123
10-16-2007, 06:04 PM
what about a short but intense weight training (full body workout) session?

bewildred
10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
In order to lose weight, one has to burn more calories than the daily number needed to 'function' right. Weightlifting is very effective because muscles burn calories even when you're sleeping.

S.

jimbo123
10-16-2007, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bewildred
In order to lose weight, one has to burn more calories than the daily number needed to 'function' right. Weightlifting is very effective because muscles burn calories even when you're sleeping.

S.
Jazakallahu-khairun,

Let's say I'm not interested in losing weight (I'm fairly lean). The way the article talks about living a long life, would weight-lifting be sufficient? I mean... is burning calories the main issue or are there other things which contribute to living a long life?

chacha_jalebi
10-16-2007, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
Walking isn't enough to keep you fit, say experts

then maybe people should start runnin:p

Kittygyal
10-16-2007, 08:55 PM
salamualikum.

People should start joggin or run on there 3wheeler like my nan goes bike Windows Messenger riding ---------------------------
---------------------------
You are now signing out from Windows Messenger. All conversation windows will be closed.
OK Cancel

ahsan28
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Stretching before you exercise may be 'a waste of time'

17th October 2007

Stretching before exercise may be a waste of time, a study suggests.

The elaborate limbering up routines favoured by many athletes and gym-goers do little to prevent muscle aches and stiffness, researchers found.

Stretching muscles after exercise may be equally pointless, they say. The findings, published today in a respected medical journal, are likely to prove fiercely contentious as fitness experts have long advised that stretching is vital to increase flexibility, improve performance and reduce the risk of injury.

However, a number of studies in the last few years have cast doubt on the efficacy of stretching, some even suggesting that it may cause more problems than it solves. Having more pliable muscles, they say, could increase the risk of strains, while stretching can cause tiny tears in muscle tissue.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1774

Isambard
10-21-2007, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jimbo123
Jazakallahu-khairun,

Let's say I'm not interested in losing weight (I'm fairly lean). The way the article talks about living a long life, would weight-lifting be sufficient? I mean... is burning calories the main issue or are there other things which contribute to living a long life?
A proper diet really hlps. If you are skinny, try weigtlifting and eating lots of protein both in the forms of meats,eggs and in powered supplement form.

jimbo123
10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
A proper diet really hlps. If you are skinny, try weigtlifting and eating lots of protein both in the forms of meats,eggs and in powered supplement form.
I'm not skinny and I'm not built, somewhere in-between. Funnily enough I just had a weight-lifting session.

Even if I was skinny, it's possible to have fat around vital organs and this is really bad.

aligzander
10-21-2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.