/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci Code.....!!!!

Danah
10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Here is my question:

I think many of you brothers and sisters know Davnci Code novel, the novel which entirely talk about Christianity and its groups and their actions too.

Since I read it for the first time until now, there are many questions in my head needed to be answered, because what we now about Christianity is different than what mentioned in the novel.

I have heard many rumors about Davnci Code movie and novel, I heard that it was forbidden to be sold or shown in some countries, and also they have edit it someway to be allowed to enter other countries like eygpt.

The novel was — and still is — generating a lot of controversy and confusion.

Actually, I have read the novel, and (as I remember but not very sure) that at the beginning of the novels the author Dan Brown said that every thing in the novel is right and every description of groups actions are also right.

( please correct me if I am wrong because it has been a long time since I read it)

But what confuses me now, is what I have seen in an article on the Internet:

Dan Brown, the author of the novel, has readily admitted in interviews that most of the ideas in "The Da Vinci Code" are not original to him. The intellectual, ideological and spiritual heritage of "The Da Vinci Code" can be traced back many decades, even centuries.
So, whats going on. Is what I read in the novel about Christianity was right or wrong???

And as I know the author is Christian too

And is it really that the Christians are divided into the parts mentioned in the novel? And is it really that they were in fighting for who will lead the religion?

And why there is such controversy about this novel.

TELL ME PLEASE, BECAUSE I WANNA KNOW.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
souloftym
10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
well,bro all i can say that i have not read the da vinci code nor seen the film. but alli can say, not to bring such doubts in ones mind. you should ask a vicar or a christian scholar on this basic topic, seeing that no1 has replied to your thread yet. and i heard that it had some bad reviews on it on the topic of jesus and mary.^o)

Ebtisweetsam
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Maybe you shoud put this thread in Muslims asking christians about christianity thread, in the religion column.
I didnt read the book or movie either, i just thought its a waste of my time...

souloftym
10-11-2007, 10:24 AM
yh, that what i thought. i neer knew there was a religious coloumn. i think its best if you put it there you wolud get various of comments.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*~Sofia~*
10-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Salams sister,

I read it a while back too, so only remember it vaguely! From what I remember what you said was correct: Dan brown did say that the book was based on actual facts..(but i somehow doubt this lol)

Im not so sure bout all the controversy either, but I think that in the book, it said that Jesus was married to Mary magdalene.. and that Jesus also had a child..so they think that Jesus's bloodline is still being carried on... thats what i understood neway.

I know i wasnt of much help to you sis, maybe you shud post it in the comparative religion section, and you will get a better response?

w'salam :)

Isambard
10-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Conspiracy theories have been around for a very long time and for just every group. Mr. Brown's book is just a novelized re-telling of another guys book (whos name I cant remember). Alot of whats said in the book is based upon questionable research taken from the writing of even more questionable questionable researches taken before.

I personally never understood the controvery. Its a novel. Sure some ppl may think its tru, but thats what apologetics is for and its easy enough to correct them.

Its basically the same treatment Rushdie got with his book, the Satanic Verses. Given, its to a lesser degree

Danah
10-13-2007, 10:04 AM
thanks to all you brothers and sisters reply to me

Actually what make me post this thread is that I thought that one of Christian members or those members who interested in the Christianity will answer me since they will be more knowledgeable than the others.

I was wondering where I can put it. I wanted to put it in comparative religion section but I did not have an access there (dont know why)

So I will be very grateful if one moderator moves the threads to the appropriate section.

Gator
10-13-2007, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
Is what I read in the novel about Christianity was right or wrong??? Some facts are correct, some are huge leaps in logic and some are just made up.

And is it really that the Christians are divided into the parts mentioned in the novel? If you mean sects that believe this and hidden conspiracies. No, that's just made up.

And is it really that they were in fighting for who will lead the religion? Eh, some things were correct while others were fictional.
And why there is such controversy about this novel. Basically the book says the Catholic Church is involved in a huge conspiracy to hide that Jesus' blood line through Mary Magdelene still exists and that the history of the church has been manipulated.

TELL ME PLEASE, BECAUSE I WANNA KNOW.
Hello, not a christian (though I play one on TV. :)) but know something of christianity and read the books/saw movie. My answers/opinions are in blue above. In my opinion, the book is just entertainment and is a work of historical fiction.

The original idea of Jesus' blood line still existing through a hidden order has been around for awhile and codified in a book call Holy Blood Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Henry Lincoln and Richard Leigh (Who sued Dan Brown).

Hope this helps.

جوري
10-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I think the book/movie started off well enough and then went down insanity lane..

there are points of interest from a Muslim view speaking of the early church deciding on whether or not to accept divinity of chirst ( the making of a divine Jesus), he quotes well known sources and facts.
So points to agree with.. no Christ isn't the son of God, he is a messenger, early christians agreed to that fact, as do unitarians and is of course what we believe as Muslims.

He goes off saying that Jesus (p) had a relation with Maria Magdalena and had children by her... Jesus was very poor, he himself used to describe the earth as his bed and the sky as his blanket, so no children.. a few other things in the way of quackery is the Mary Mag.Gospel :haha: and her move to Europe and having a blood line that continues to this day.. giving christianity that all time needed western approval because of the sheer impossibility that religion should originiate from the middle east.. and of all the shmultzy things, he ends by finding her grave and praying to her, as if a religion that exalts a man to a God isn't bad enough form of Shirk.. how can we delve deeper and deeper into shirk except by appointing saints and praying at their tombs...

So you can see it started off well enough, then deranged to fiction... no different than what happened in real life to christianity.. that which christ meant.. and that is what they inferred..

:w:

NoName55
10-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Who was Jesus?

Son of Who?

Bible - A Closer Look

Christianity vs Islam

Audio lectures

Video lectures

Danah
10-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Gator
so, from what you said, not all facts on the novel are right. But I am confused to see someone who is christian talking about his religion and mentioned wrong facts. Actually from the beginning I have an adoubt about that. I was wondering about the facts about that group who hurting them self to forgive their sins (as they thought)

PurestAmbrosia
he ends by finding her grave and praying to her
that is one of things I want to know. is i really that her grave under the Lover or what.
and regarding making Jesus the son of God (that what they thought), but it is the first time to me to know that they thought that Mary is a holy thing in their religion

NoName55

thanks for links you gave

snakelegs
10-13-2007, 08:44 PM

I was wondering where I can put it. I wanted to put it in comparative religion section but I did not have an access there (dont know why)

So I will be very grateful if one moderator moves the threads to the appropriate section.
i'm not a christian and i didn't read the book/see the movie so have no opinion.
the comparative religion section (and world affairs) were closed for ramadan. they will probably open tomorrow or monday...

جوري
10-13-2007, 09:36 PM

PurestAmbrosia

that is one of things I want to know. is i really that her grave under the Lover or what.
and regarding making Jesus the son of God (that what they thought), but it is the first time to me to know that they thought that Mary is a holy thing in their religion
of course not, that isn't her grave it is FICTION.. plus this is 'Mary Magdalene' who was a former prostitute and asked for forgiveness-- I hope you are not mistaking her for (Mary RA) the mother of Jesus?

Trumble
10-14-2007, 07:24 AM
So, whats going on. Is what I read in the novel about Christianity was right or wrong???
If you mean the controversial stuff, "wrong". It is a NOVEL. Like many novels, though, some of the the things in it aren't totally made up by the author and have a foundation (not necessarily a 'true' one) elsewhere.

For example, the 'Priory of Sion' did exist... but it was a hoax in 20th century France, not something that went back to 11th century.

Opus Dei exists. While it is somewhat controversial within (and outside) Catholicism, they don't really have assassins running about!

And regarding the Jesus/Mary Magdelene bloodline thing, that's pretty much ripped (although to an insufficient extent to justify plagiarism or copyright infringement, apparently) from the 'conspiracy theory' book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail - which hatched onto the Priory of Sion forgery - see above.

Those who wonder why Dan Brown said in his preface that all that stuff was true might want to ponder on his sales figures... the public LOVE that sort of stuff! He learned that from his previous book on the Illuminati. It is, after all, a NOVEL.

Isambard
10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Exactly.

Alot of if was a sales stunt. These theories arnt new, but doesnt mean they have alot of credibility to them either.

PS. thnx PA for ruining the movie for me :(

جوري
10-14-2007, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
PS. thnx PA for ruining the movie for me :(
lol-- my humble apologies.. when you participated early on in the post I assumed it was due to having seen or read it ^o)

you should see it anyway..it was a good movie,except for tom Hanks' hair style...left you with the urge to drag him by his greasy hair stick him in a tub and pour some clorox and buckets of cold water on him!

peace!

Woodrow
10-14-2007, 05:08 PM
It is a movie, makes as much sense to view it as a valid information source as it is to view Bambi as a wild life documentary.

Danah
10-14-2007, 07:47 PM
PurestAmbrosia

I hope you are not mistaking her for (Mary RA) the mother of Jesus?
Of course not I know that they are different

Trumble

Opus Dei exists. While it is somewhat controversial within (and outside) Catholicism, they don't really have assassins running about!
Actually I was wondering also about if Opus Dei is really exist or it is just fiction. the same thing for the group that Davinci and Michel Angelo are belong too (as I remember)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.