/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learning Arabic In An Obligation (Fard) On EVERY Muslim

NoName55
10-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Shaykh Ahmed Ibn ‘Abdullah Al-Baatilee writes:

"The Praise is for Allâh, the one who has honoured us with the Qur’ân, and chosen for us the noblest
of languages, and the peace and the blessings be upon the best one of the ones who articulated
themselves in Arabic, and the most-preferred from the servants of Allâh, Our Prophet Muhammad
(P.B.U.H.), and his family and his distinguished companions.

The Arabic language is the language of the Noble Qur’ân, and with it, the Qur’ân was revealed upon
the seal of the Messengers, so attention to the Arabic language is to have attention to the Book of
Allâh the Most High and the studying and the practising of it helps in the understanding of the Noble
Book of Allâh and the narrations of the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H.). It is also the
language of our esteemed Islamic law (Sharee’ah), so when we defend it we are not proceeding on a
path of nationalism or racism or culturalism, but in factwe are defending the language of our religion
(way of life) and it is the cloak of our Civilisation.

As such, Shaykh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: “The Arabic Language is from the Religion, and
the knowledge of it is an obligation. For surely the understanding of the Qur’ân and the
Sunnah is an obligation, and these two are not understood except with the
understanding of the Arabic Language, and whatever obligation is not fulfilled except
by certain steps then those steps themselves become obligatory (to fulfil the initial
obligation)” [The Necessity Of The Straight Path by Ibn Taymiyyah ( 1/470)]

So then the knowledge of the Arabic language is essential for every Muslim so that he can perform
his religious acts of worship and he can be proficient in the recitation of the Noble Qur’ân. Allâh says
in His Book:

“Verily we have sent it down as an Arabic Qur’ân in order that you may understand” (Soorah Yusuf: 2)

“And thus We have inspired unto you (O Muhammad) an Arabic
Qur’ân that you may warn the mother of the towns (Makkah) and
all around it” (Soorah ash-Shura: 7)

“And truly this (the Qur’ân) is a revelation from the Lord of the
'Alamin (all that exists), which the trustworthy
Ruh (Jibreel) has brought down upon your heart (O Muhammad)
that you may be (one) of the warners, in the plain Arabic
language” (Soorah ash-Shura: 192-195)

“A Book whereof the verses are explained in detail, a Qur’ân in
Arabic for people who know” (Soorah Fussilat: 3)

So from these verses we see why the Arabic Language has reached its station due to the fact that
Allâh has guaranteed its protection when He undertook upon Himself the preservation of this Noble
Qur’ân since it is the language of that Book.

The Most Merciful said:

“Verily! It is We who have sent down the Reminder (the Qur’ân)
and surely We will guard it (from corruption)” (Soorah Hijr: 9)

Despite this, many of the Muslims are content by spending their whole lives reading a translation of
the Qur’ân and so depriving themselves of the miracle of the Speech Of Allâh. Also a translation
implies a human factor, which goes against the very essence of the Book of Allâh. Also, the person
who does not know Arabic, will have added difficulty in his concentration during his prayers and also
in his understanding of the Sunnah. This is because a language is just not a collection of words
which can readily be translated into another language but is a whole way of thinking!.

Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali (Translator of the Noble Qur’ân) writes:

“It is a pity that many nations are only satisfied in the translated meaning of the Qur’ân and
Prophet's Sunnah instead of studying the (true) Arabic text of the Qur’ân and Prophet’s Sunnah. For
this reason they are divided into various sects (due to the lack of knowledge about the religion of )
e.g. as regards to the ways of religious education, etc. so they are plunged in differences, which was
prohibited by Allâh. If the translation of the meaning of the Qur’ân is meant for the above said
purpose then it is a real mischief-doing, and an evil action and is against what was brought by
Allâh’s Messenger (P.B.U.H.) and also against the opinions of the early present day religious scholars. All
the religious scholars unanimously agree that the Qur’ân and the Sunnah should be taught in the
language of the Qur’ân (Arabic) So did the early religious scholars of the Muslim
nation when they conquered different countries.

Translations are mainly meant for informing the people who have not yet embraced to make clear to
them the principles of and the teachings of Muhammad (P.B.U.H.) and to know its exact facts. When they
reach this state and Allâh has blessed them with , they must take the Qur’ânic and the Messenger’s
Language (Arabic) as the language to understand".

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
11-05-2007, 03:59 AM
I am looking for "The Status of the Arabic Language in Islâm by Shaykh ul-Islâm ibn Taymiyyah" (without cost)

Ummu Sufyaan
11-05-2007, 04:08 AM
:sl:
have you tied goolgling it?

NoName55
11-05-2007, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
have you tied goolgling it?
:w:

well no, I was hoping for a proof read copy (since I have never owned the hard copy or I don't remember owning it) google found books are sometimes interfered with. (so I will only accept a copy from people of al-madani and fi_sabilillah type, no offence intended to other types but can't be helped if its taken)

edit: PDF books are only good if signed and locked by original Author/Publisher

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
11-05-2007, 08:20 AM

Good post. Learning arabic is soo important! You can never really appreciate the Quran without it.

Ummu Sufyaan
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
true said....

omar_2133
11-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Is it just me, or is Arabic really hard to read? I mean, I have to spend about 10 seconds or more to transliterate a single Arabic word, while I can instanataneously drink in whole sentences every ten seconds, with the Latin script.

Pk_#2
11-05-2007, 05:50 PM
JazakAllah khair, i really like this thread, another excuse i mean..reason to get out and study!!!!!!!! woooo

Not that i will get that chance :o| Tried teaching maself, jus' int workin inay

Anywho, where can you get that book from? ^^

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-06-2007, 03:16 AM

Jazakallah Khayr for this thread!

This lecture hits the nail on the head on the subject of learning Arabic:

Why study Arabic and how? - Nouman Ali Khan

http://www.halaltube.com/nouman-ali-...arabic-and-how

Woodrow
11-06-2007, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by omar_2133
Is it just me, or is Arabic really hard to read? I mean, I have to spend about 10 seconds or more to transliterate a single Arabic word, while I can instanataneously drink in whole sentences every ten seconds, with the Latin script.
I find it best for a newcomer to Arabic to read the Qur'an in english, but listen to the words on tape or cd. Begin with the shorter ayyats and at first only try to master al-Fatiha. Later move to the last 10 Surahs 105-114. Once you get so that you can follow these on the CD, you will suddenly find that learning to read the others goes very smooth.

doorster
09-26-2008, 05:53 AM
:bump::statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.