/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Paul Martin (Canada) pledges $24.5M to Palestinian Authority

solid_snake
09-15-2005, 11:06 PM
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Prime Minister Paul Martin announced that Canada will contribute $24.5 million in assistance to the Palestinian Authority for education, living conditions for refugees, and economic development.

Martin made his announcement at a hastily-called news conference at the 60th United Nations General Assembly in New York.

"Anything that will lead to peace in the Middle East should be encouraged," Martin told reporters.

Donor countries are expected to pour about $5 billion a year into aid for the Palestinian economy.

When Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas visited Ottawa in May, Canada committed $12.2 million for peace and security.

"I told Abbas to consider this a down payment today," Martin said. "We have a unique opportunity to help Palestinians work toward."

The additional funding comes after Israel's successful withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and parts of the northern West Bank.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Shadow
09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
:sl:

Maybe he is doing this as a publicity stunt act to get ppl to like him more i guess
i dunno
thts just my opinion

mary
09-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Salam,
Sorry to sound like a pessimist but whats the catch?
Wasalam

imaad_udeen
09-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Bush is trying to get Congress to pass a $350 million aid package for the Palestinians.

24.5 mil? Chump change....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Henry
09-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu
First providing money to the Israelites now the Palestinians? I thought he didn't like them?

Goodness he is one confusing fellow.

Wassalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

imaad_udeen
09-16-2005, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Henry
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu
First providing money to the Israelites now the Palestinians? I thought he didn't like them?

Goodness he is one confusing fellow.

Wassalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu
:sl:

I dont think he has ever said he did not like them.

But the US has given money and other things to the Palestinians for a while. It's nothing compared to what the US gives to Israel, though...

:w:

Mr. Zeidan
09-16-2005, 05:49 AM
It's all politics

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.