/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Troubling findings

Henry
09-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah

Surah 8: Verse67 - It is not for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war (and free them with ransom) until he had made a great slaughter (among his enemies) in the land. You desire the good of this world (i.e. the money of ransom for freeing the captives), but Allah desires (for you) the Hereafter. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.

Basically it is saying to capture an enemy and sell him off for ransom. I don't get how that is halaal? Also, I remember reading another verse how it told the Muslims to kill their allies on certain months if they are disbelievers. Again, how is this Halaal?

Also, I didn't find this on one of those corny websites (IE: ---...I even proved their verses wrong with my Quran). I read these right out of this translation.

If anyone could please enlighten me, as I AM ignorant in the subject, please do.

Wassalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
basitisnumberone
09-16-2005, 03:00 PM
:sl:
any of the more knowlegable borthers gonna reply?

:w:

kadafi
09-16-2005, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Henry
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah

Surah 8: Verse67 - It is not for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war (and free them with ransom) until he had made a great slaughter (among his enemies) in the land. You desire the good of this world (i.e. the money of ransom for freeing the captives), but Allah desires (for you) the Hereafter. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.

Basically it is saying to capture an enemy and sell him off for ransom. I don't get how that is halaal?
Wa'alaikuum as-salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu akhee.

The ayaah that you cited indicates that the Muslims should grant amnesty or ransom them after they have subdued the land. It is prohibited to take prisoners of war whilst the enemy is strong. Once the Muslims have subdued the land to demolish the strength of the enemy, then they are allowed to take prisoners of war.

The previous ordainment that Allaah (Exalted is He) mentioned in the ayah that you cited is:
"Thereafter (is the time) either for generosity (i.e. free them without ransom) or ransom."
There is a great wisdom behind the not-capturing-enemies-before-weaking-the-enemy dictation.

A good article would be:

Islamic Law and Prisoners of War

Also, I remember reading another verse how it told the Muslims to kill their allies on certain months if they are disbelievers. Again, how is this Halaal?
Brother Ansaar-Al-Haq documented in his article at:

Misquoted/Misunderstood verses/narrations

:w:

Henry
09-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Thanks so much for clearing it up :)

Wassalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.