/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women do only four hours housework a week

ahsan28
10-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Women do only four hours housework a week, half as much as 30 years ago

11 October 2007

When it comes to housework, women have long been martyrs - and men have long been absent.

Not any more, it seems. Today's mothers are so busy they can squeeze in only four hours of housework a week - half the time they managed 30 years ago, according to a survey yesterday.

The main reason is longer office hours and hectic social schedules cutting the time available for vacuuming, dusting, washing and cleaning.

But, according to the research, it appears that men have also begun to take on a fairer share of the domestic chores than they once did.

The survey, commissioned by Pot Noodle, also found that the average mother has more disposable cash.

In 1977, she was able to afford three pairs of shoes and two handbags, while today she is more likely to have the choice of ten pairs of shoes and six handbags.
:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Karina
10-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I'd be interested to know what the figures are for men!! :okay: :D

Protected_Diamond
10-13-2007, 08:37 PM
LOL, my mum does more than 4 hours and men are lazy....they never help out

glo
10-13-2007, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
Yes, perhaps men account for the missing 4 hours of housework! :D
(I know my hubby does ... I am the one with the paid job in our house, so he gets lumbered with the housework)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karina
10-13-2007, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Yes, perhaps men account for the missing 4 hours of housework! :D
(I know my hubby does ... I am the one with the paid job in our house, so he gets lumbered with the housework)
Well I mustn't grumble about my other half - he does as much as me so it's more or less 50/50. Mind you - he does more of the physical stuff (I'm such a wimp!) and I do more of the cooking side, but that's not a chore, it's more a pleasure!

Gender roles have changed though, even in the last 15-20 years. That may explain where those missing hours are like you say!!

Mawaddah
10-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Only 4 hours of housework!!

What do their homes look like :eek:

:giggling:

glo
10-13-2007, 08:57 PM
I guess many people don't spend much time cooking anymore.

I love to cook, and we almost always cook from scratch with fresh ingredients. (You know what's in your meal, and it is cheaper!)
I love making jams and bottle fruit, make wine and bake biscuits, cakes and pies.
I sometimes wonder whether I should have been around in the fifties ... before career women were invented! :D

Karina
10-13-2007, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I guess many people don't spend much time cooking anymore.

I love to cook, and we almost always cook from scratch with fresh ingredients. (You know what's in your meal, and it is cheaper!)
I love making jams and bottle fruit, make wine and bake biscuits, cakes and pies.
I sometimes wonder whether I should have been around in the fifties ... before career women were invented! :D
Me too! (when I have time that is!) :happy:

Mawaddah
10-13-2007, 09:02 PM
^ I love all those things too

And home cooked food is always much much more tastier, cheaper :)

Karina
10-13-2007, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ I love all those things too

And home cooked food is always much much more tastier, cheaper :)
You're so right, but a lot of families don't realise this - it's a shame.... :cry:

glo
10-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Yay! Let's hear it for home cooking! :D

I spent most of today making blackberry and apple jam. I have enough jam now (plum, apple, rhubarb and the above) to see us through the winter!

Mawaddah, I agree with you.
Living on one part-time income, frugality certainly is an important factor in the running of our household. It is more fun as well though, and healthier (less additives, salt etc)!

ahsan28
10-13-2007, 09:46 PM

Men are generally considered hardworking and responsible. They take due interest in their assigned tasks and responsibilities :D

They mean business and don't waste precious time. They have the requisite ability to complete a 20 minutes job in 20 minutes :D

Since they are not worried about variety of shoes and handbags, they normally avoid frequent shopping and manage to save money :D

Karina
10-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Women are generally considered hardworking and responsible. They take due interest in their assigned tasks and responsibilities :D

They mean business and don't waste precious time. They have the requisite ability to complete a 20 minutes job in 20 minutes :D

Handbags and shoes, cars and computer games..... not much difference as far as I can see!!

PS This is all very subjective!

Miss Palestine
10-14-2007, 04:12 AM
woow...lolz...thatsz funny...

Woodrow
10-14-2007, 04:22 AM
I've been single for the past four years so untill I moved in with my daughter last year I did 100% of the housework. Now that I live with my daughter and her 2 youngest ones that are still at home I now do 200% of the housework. How is it possible to do over 100%. Simple, I am poor at math.

ahsan28
10-14-2007, 06:40 AM
[QUOTE=Mawaddah;842098 home cooked food is always much much more tastier:)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, cooking inside the home is traditionally women's work, but we have male chefs in every restaurant, indicative of the fact that men are more professional than women in this field :D

ahsan28
10-14-2007, 06:46 AM
They have the requisite ability to complete a 20 minutes job in 20 minutes :D

Needs reconsideration. The women are generally patient, so therefore, a 20 minutes job usually gets delayed by hours :D

Tania
10-14-2007, 08:27 AM
There is a town here where the men are looking after babies and are doing the housework during the time when the wife its out a job. Thats happening because the jobs are mostly for women :)

snakelegs
10-14-2007, 08:44 AM
tania, are women able to earn enough money to support a family there?

Tania
10-14-2007, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
tania, are women able to earn enough money to support a family there?
Yes + the government are giving 200 euros/month for the babies under 2 years. The man is unemployed. During communism more cities appeared around a plant (manufacture towns). After communism, this plants collapsed and appeared more shops. In that town, now are shops and a confection plant(this took the place of the old engine plant). In the report, the men were very content. In the morning they are cleaning the house, give meal and change the baby, going at shopping and around noon time, they take the baby to the central park where they can play a backgammon or chess game until the child its contemplating the beautiful nature.:confused: Because the child need more contemplation in the afternoon our fathers are coming back in the park.:D

snakelegs
10-14-2007, 09:12 AM
that's interesting. here most women cannot earn enough money to support a family. so, the men are happy - are the women happy with that arrangement too?

Tania
10-14-2007, 09:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
that's interesting. here most women cannot earn enough money to support a family. so, the men are happy - are the women happy with that arrangement too?
They were not ask in the report but the men said they are. :) They took the decision together.

Karina
10-14-2007, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28
Needs reconsideration. The women are generally patient, so therefore, a 20 minutes job usually gets delayed by hours :D
Like I said - it's all very subjective, and amusing!

Would you like to let me know the source for which you obtained this fascinating information, or are we just talking about your personal opinion?

:giggling:

ahsan28
10-14-2007, 03:21 PM

or are we just talking about your personal opinion?

Yes :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.