/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Room

AhlaamBella
10-12-2007, 03:14 PM
subhanAllah! My college DOESN'T have a prayer room. Nearly half the college is muslim and we're not allowed 2 ask teachers if we can use their rooms.
My friend was told 2 pray in the CHAPEL at her college.

Don't colleges want 2 accomodate for different faiths???!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummAbdillah
10-12-2007, 03:18 PM
:sl:
we have an Islamic society and prayer rooms at my college Alhamdulilah.
what did they say when you asked for a salah room?

ISLAMASWEENEY
10-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Yes I Dont Have A Prayer Room At My School Either.

ummAbdillah
10-12-2007, 03:47 PM
why don't you speak to a teacher about it brother? :w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ISLAMASWEENEY
10-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I Do But Most Of Them Are Christian Sister.

ummAbdillah
10-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Most class rooms arent in use during lunch right? why not find an empty room and do your salah there... if not just find a somewhere quite. But make sure you pray on time =)

ISLAMASWEENEY
10-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Nobody Else Is Muslim In My School Though Sister.

Kittygyal
10-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Salamualikum.

Ya Allaah guide us all. Amin

The Ruler
10-12-2007, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DeepOcean
If it was to be that way, not only would we have prayer rooms, we'd also have wudhu area i.e. no, they don't accomodate for different faiths.

But college does let you out anytime. Take that time to go somewhere where you can pray, if possible.

:w:

ISLAMASWEENEY
10-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Yes but not in my country.

Miss Palestine
10-14-2007, 05:08 AM
prayer comes b4 anythinggg

AhlaamBella
10-14-2007, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Liúyú de Lian
If it was to be that way, not only would we have prayer rooms, we'd also have wudhu area i.e. no, they don't accomodate for different faiths.

But college does let you out anytime. Take that time to go somewhere where you can pray, if possible.

:w:
we have been told NOT to use classrooms. its disgusting. the assistnt principal won't help AT ALL. she thinks we can just use the mosque 'around the corner'. its ages away!!

------
10-14-2007, 03:08 PM
:salamext:

Try to make an appeal with other people's signatures on it, and take it to the headteacher Inshaa Allaah?

chacha_jalebi
10-14-2007, 03:33 PM
start a riot :p

'Abd al-Baari
10-14-2007, 03:43 PM

You could try asking some local prominent muslim people such as councilors and Imams etc to right a letter to your college and ask them for a prayer room?

------
10-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Ignore that post by chacha :D [y u giving away my secret weapons for?! :raging:]

Protected_Diamond
10-14-2007, 04:51 PM
^^LOL

Re.TiReD
10-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Sister, in my opinion the best way of bringing about a change is to have a group of united people, start a pertition and have everybody sign it. that way the teachers will realise the enormity of the situation Insha'Allah and how serious you are about practising your Deen.

Make sure you keep bringing the matter up and don't let it go ignored, because even though the changed may not occur during your time at the college, your petition may help future Muslims students there Insha'Allah. Hope that helps. :w:

nebula
10-14-2007, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
haha ur a joka bro

ISLAMASWEENEY bro all i can say is just try your best to get a prayer room, because once you do generations of muslims who go to ur skool will pray in that room and ull get some duah nd sawaab for it and ull be known as the person who got the muslims a prayer room!! see were im going? :thumbs_up they might just build a scale model statue of you hehehe if ur lucky

fight for the room!! :raging: ahhhhhhhhhhh

Kittygyal
10-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Salamualikum...

Well i dunno what to say Man :L but best thing is.. May Allaah guide us ALL.. Amin

Ma'assalama

Pssst: Bro Nebula i like your edit reason :X

AhlaamBella
10-22-2007, 09:21 AM
i'm determined to get a prayer room going! But no one is helping!!!! lol

ummAbdillah
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
No even the muslims in your college? InshaAllah you'll get one soon sis. :sl:

Ummu Sufyaan
10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DeepOcean
i'm determined to get a prayer room going! But no one is helping!!!! lol
do you need my help?? maybe i could email them a letter or something.
if worse come to worse, i heard a story that boys at a achool had to pray on the ashphalt -or however you spell it. outside. do not sacrifice your prayers sis. go behind the school. hey, is there a muslim in your area that you know. maybe you could knowck on their door and ask them. but then again, why should you have to do that. i say fight to you get your room.

Esther462
11-05-2007, 08:47 PM
That is sad that ur college dosn't have a prayer room.
At my college, even though there are not that many Muslims in the college but we do have a Multi Faith Prayer room and there is a time on the time table for that room for all the faiths but the noon prayer time does not really fit into my time table, I quite nervious praying in there when I do have time and I think the room is kepted locked when it's not in uses, even when there is something time tabled into it. I am still new to the fiath and my confidents is growing everyday. I will pray in there before my college year is out. We even have a Equality and Diversity person who is there that every person with a disabilty or faith is catered for in the college. He is lovely and he is very easy to talk to.
I would advise to see your Equality and Diversity teacher, if you have one,and get them envoled as thats there job.

AhlaamBella
11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Just thought I'd let you all know.........

WE GOT A PRAYER ROOM!!! ALHAMDULILAH! ALLAH HU AKBAR!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ummu Sufyaan
11-26-2007, 10:13 AM
YAY!!! :D

------
11-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Alhamdulillaah...

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM

Allahu Akbar! MashaAllah!

Re.TiReD
11-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Masha'Allah :D and out of curiosity...how did you manage it? :D

Esther462
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
I tryed to use the prayer room at my college the other day at the time it is time tabled in but it was locked.:mad:
I went to my courses bacis room and no-one was in there so I prayed in there. One of my course mates did come in and he stayed quite for me.
I also pray in my departments medical room 2 days a weeks as my breacks don't fit into the time for the prayer room. It's lovely and quiet in there and no-one can disturbe me. :statisfie

AhlaamBella
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
Masha'Allah :D and out of curiosity...how did you manage it? :D
We all complained to the head of R.E and each of my friends complained to their form tutor :D

Esther462
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
There is a prayer room (multi faith chaple) at my college. As I said before the room is kepted locked when it's not in uses as there is a computer in there. I went to it yesterday at the time it said I can uses it and it was locked and I had to pray in a class room. I spoke to my tutor and she made a phone call and all I have to do is ask for the key from college reception which is cool. I used it for the 1st time today and it's really quiet in the room even though it is just round the corner from the canteen which gets very noisy at lunch times. The room has symbals from many faiths in there but founturely for me the Qibla is pointing away from the symbals. It's better to pray in the chaple/prayer room, than in a class room.
:Crescent: :alright:

Fayrouz
12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Im think im the only muslim that prays in college. I talked to my tutor and asked him whether there was anywhere i would be allowed to use.. and he was really friengly about it, he even said like isnt it illegal or something not to atleast have a multifaith room? ..Anyway in the end i am allowed to use the first aid room which is tiny! and i mean tiny. I have to ask reception everytime i want to use it and obvioulsy if someone has to use it i cannot, it has a lock and everything so nobody can just walk in which is good. So alhamdulillah everything worked out fine. I admit its a bit difficult to do wudu and pray at college but enshallah allah will accept my prayers and the prayers of the rest of the muslimeen and make it easy for us to keep our prayers on time amen.

Anyway i think its unacceptable for them not to allow you to pray. And its not just muslims, all religions should be able to practice their faith at school/college.

Esther462
12-11-2007, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fayrouz
Im think im the only muslim that prays in college. I talked to my tutor and asked him whether there was anywhere i would be allowed to use.. and he was really friengly about it, he even said like isnt it illegal or something not to atleast have a multifaith room? ..Anyway in the end i am allowed to use the first aid room which is tiny! and i mean tiny. I have to ask reception everytime i want to use it and obvioulsy if someone has to use it i cannot, it has a lock and everything so nobody can just walk in which is good. So alhamdulillah everything worked out fine. I admit its a bit difficult to do wudu and pray at college but enshallah allah will accept my prayers and the prayers of the rest of the muslimeen and make it easy for us to keep our prayers on time amen.

Anyway i think its unacceptable for them not to allow you to pray. And its not just muslims, all religions should be able to practice their faith at school/college.
It sad to hear about your situation Fayrouz. Pray that more Muslims come to the college and that they will have to provied a prayer room for you to pray in.

I used my college prayer room today and it wasn't locked which was good but I was a little nervious useing though.
I do find doing Wudu hard at college and when there are people walking into the tolets and looking at you strangely. I do everything except my feet. As I've said before, I use the medical room on 2 days when my lunch break doesn't fit in with the times for the prayer room. I don't know what I will do if the medical room is being used but I will over come that jump when I get to it.

mayza
12-13-2007, 03:23 AM
I was thinking this probelm y'day.... i mean i live in country where they have mosques everywhere.... After reading this thread, I will not take praying at my uni's mosque for granted.... good luck to all to find somewhere to pray...

mayza

ayesha309
12-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Alhamdulillah, despite living in a non-Muslim country (in the west) my university has several prayer rooms and even a wudhu area. I did not know how lucky i was until i read these posts. Alhamdulillah.

Fayrouz
12-13-2007, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
It sad to hear about your situation Fayrouz. Pray that more Muslims come to the college and that they will have to provied a prayer room for you to pray in.

I used my college prayer room today and it wasn't locked which was good but I was a little nervious useing though.
I do find doing Wudu hard at college and when there are people walking into the tolets and looking at you strangely. I do everything except my feet. As I've said before, I use the medical room on 2 days when my lunch break doesn't fit in with the times for the prayer room. I don't know what I will do if the medical room is being used but I will over come that jump when I get to it.
I know how you feel. Well my college said theyre planning on building an extension or something in 4 years time and that will include a prayer room, however i would have graduate uni by then enshallah so thats not much help to me! As for doing wudu we have disabled toilets with little sinks so i go in there an do my wudu in private where i can take my hijab off and do it properly, i dont know what id do without out the disabled toilets!! I remeber when the first aid room was being used once i asked if there was anywhere else i could use and they let me use the massive main hall and i just locked it and closed the curtains! now that was an experience!!!

Esther462
12-14-2007, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fayrouz
I know how you feel. As for doing wudu we have disabled toilets with little sinks so i go in there an do my wudu in private where i can take my hijab off and do it properly, i dont know what id do without out the disabled toilets!! I remeber when the first aid room was being used once i asked if there was anywhere else i could use and they let me use the massive main hall and i just locked it and closed the curtains! now that was an experience!!!
Thanks. There are disabled toilets at my college but they don't like none wheel chair users from useing them and if I lift my legs above a certen point, I get really bad hip cramp which really hirts.
If the medical room is in useage, I'll proberly end up praying in the kitchen class room or in the empty office in the staff area in my block. That would be scary as a few of the tutors are Christian and 1 or 2 like to take the wind me up. They are just having a little fun with me.

Alim Apprentice
12-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Yes, bro Abdullah's idea is good. Getting assistance from local muslims in your area about this issue is important. Its a mystery why they can't just allocate ONE empty classroom during lunchtime *shakes head* If a classroom is not available, Inshallah a quiet and clean area would suffice.

Alim Apprentice
12-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Oh man, my apologies. I did not read the rest of the pages, haha. Alhamdulillah you have a prayer room now! I believe this issue is a more difficult one for our muslim sisters than brothers. Inshallah you all will get assistance soon.

Fayrouz
12-20-2007, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
Thanks. There are disabled toilets at my college but they don't like none wheel chair users from useing them and if I lift my legs above a certen point, I get really bad hip cramp which really hirts.
If the medical room is in useage, I'll proberly end up praying in the kitchen class room or in the empty office in the staff area in my block. That would be scary as a few of the tutors are Christian and 1 or 2 like to take the wind me up. They are just having a little fun with me.
Oh right, well we have 2 wheelchair access toilets, one is with the main toilets and everyone uses it, so sometimes i use that. But if there's someone in (which there always seems to be!) i use another one right next to the first aid room. I asked if i would be able to use it, in case it was just for wheelchair users, and they said it was fine. I'm sorry to hear about your hip :(
Are your teachers just messing or being serious? Even if they are just messing i think it's wrong to pester students about issues which are nothing to do with education.

x-samia-x
01-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Asalamualaikum,

we don't have a prayer room at my school either =(. its reli upsetting me now, because there is nowhere we can pray. we have a staggered lunch time system, which means theres only one third of the school on lunch at any one time. its reli difficult to find out which rooms are free.. and theyr often still occupied by people, who are reli stubborn and they say we wouldn't be able to move the tables.. pray.. then move them back again. cos we only have half an hour lunch time.

i'm reli upet about it, because it means i have to miss my salat. there are a few other sisters (im at a girls only school.. in the sixth form) and we have asked.. but we just get told theyr trying to do something about it. since september?!?!

any ideas?
jazka'Allah khairun,
sister Samia

praying4jannah
01-01-2008, 04:27 PM
assalamualayakum

i go to an 6thform where 80% of the students are muslim mashallah. before there were no facilities for a prayer room.. but.. many of the students gathered together.. and took the matter further and spoke to many of the teachers about this. alhumdulilah they started off by allowing one classroom open at lunchtimes.. where the students were able to pray.. but this was very confusing at times.. as the classroom would regularly change.. but eventually.. after alot of persistance.. the school did create a permenant room for prayer.. which is ONLI used for prayer. so i would just like to say.. NEVA GIVE UP. keep going to the teachers.. with greater number of students each time. inshallah they will listen and do something about it.
assalamualaykum
sister Nadia

x-samia-x
01-01-2008, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by praying4jannah
assalamualayakum

i go to an 6thform where 80% of the students are muslim mashallah. before there were no facilities for a prayer room.. but.. many of the students gathered together.. and took the matter further and spoke to many of the teachers about this. alhumdulilah they started off by allowing one classroom open at lunchtimes.. where the students were able to pray.. but this was very confusing at times.. as the classroom would regularly change.. but eventually.. after alot of persistance.. the school did create a permenant room for prayer.. which is ONLI used for prayer. so i would just like to say.. NEVA GIVE UP. keep going to the teachers.. with greater number of students each time. inshallah they will listen and do something about it.
assalamualaykum
sister Nadia

jazaka'Allah khairun sis

erm, our sixth form is like.. 20% muslims masha'Allah.. probs less actually. but we'll see, insha'Allah

:D

asma2
01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
alhamdulilah my college got one

Ummu Sufyaan
01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by x-samia-x
Asalamualaikum,

we don't have a prayer room at my school either =(. its reli upsetting me now, because there is nowhere we can pray. we have a staggered lunch time system, which means theres only one third of the school on lunch at any one time. its reli difficult to find out which rooms are free.. and theyr often still occupied by people, who are reli stubborn and they say we wouldn't be able to move the tables.. pray.. then move them back again. cos we only have half an hour lunch time.

i'm reli upet about it, because it means i have to miss my salat. there are a few other sisters (im at a girls only school.. in the sixth form) and we have asked.. but we just get told theyr trying to do something about it. since september?!?!
any ideas?
jazka'Allah khairun,
sister Samia
when i was going to school, we made a deal with the english staff. When one of us needed to pray, we'd just go to the english staff room and ask for a key for one of the english rooms. they knew straight away.
could you pray at the back of the school or something?

EDIT: I havnt read it myself, maybe this helps http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=13705&ln=eng

Mikayeel
01-04-2008, 07:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RoseGold
subhanAllah! My college DOESN'T have a prayer room. Nearly half the college is muslim and we're not allowed 2 ask teachers if we can use their rooms.
My friend was told 2 pray in the CHAPEL at her college.

you know my college i pray in the chapel aswell :(, sometimes there as another room free, but most of the times i just have to do it in the chapel!

adeeb
01-04-2008, 07:38 AM
alhamdulillah,

since my society is the Islamic one, we have a comfortable room called 'musholla' to do the prayer..:)

if u dont have one, place doesn't matter, wherever you are, u are able to do the prayer except two places, bathroom and graveyard...

may Allah make u easy tho do the prayer even in the smallest room at ure collage...hehe ameen..

MaiCarInMtl
01-06-2008, 10:42 PM
My university used to have a prayer room for muslim students but they took it away about 3 years ago. It was a huge issue and students are still fighting to have a prayer room of their own. It's very sad to see this kind of thing especially when another university just a few blocks away has made a great prayer space for their muslim students (it has 2 entrances, one for men and one for women, a tiled ablution area and carpeted floors in the main area. The male and female prayer sections are divided by a movable wall which is great for Saturday morning Halaqas (so the teacher can sit in the middle of the walls and both sides can hear him and he can see if anyone has any questions). Meanwhile, my university recently invested 2.1 million dollars into renovations for the Hillel house!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.