/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 15 ways stores trick you into spending

Lina
10-14-2007, 07:05 PM
:sl:

1. Shopping carts. Most department-store customers enter the store intending to buy only an item or two, but the shopping carts are right there by the entrance and, oh, wouldn't it be convenient to have it so I can lean on it a bit while walking around and to put my stuff in it?

The cart has a huge bin compared with the size of most items for sale in the store, making it psychologically easy to toss in an item you don't need -- after all, there's room for plenty more, right?

2. Desirable departments are far away from the entrance. Most of the items I go to a department store to buy, such as light bulbs and laundry detergent, are located many, many aisles from the entrance. This means I spend my time walking by a lot of consumer goods on my way to find the item I want.

Because these consumer goods are effectively marketed to me, there's a good likelihood that I'll spy something that I don't necessarily need and toss it in the cart.

3. The toy section is far, far, far away from the entrance. Naturally, if I take my son to the store, he wants to visit the toy section. He gets excited and starts shouting "Ball! Ball!" to me when we go in because he remembers the enormous plastic balls in the toy section.

I tell him that if he's good, we'll go look at the balls, and at the end of the trip, we usually make our way over there. What do we see? Lots of children in that area, which means that there are parents that follow their children.

4. Impulse-oriented items are near the checkouts. Stores stock the latest DVD releases and "froth" magazines there, along with overpriced beverages and candy.

Why? Because people leaving the store are thirsty, and they're going to be standing in line for a bit, which is the perfect place to hook them with some entertainment options.

5. The most expensive versions of a product are the ones at eye level. Take a look sometime at the arrangement of different choices for a particular product, such as laundry detergent. Almost every time, the most expensive options per unit are placed at eye level, so you see them first when you enter an aisle. The bulk options and better deals are usually on the bottom shelves.

Read

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
As a student who achieved a B at A-level in Business and is now studying at year 2 University, I can safely say that I know all this stuff and it's less evil/negative than it is usually presented.

Obviously, there are tactics that are used by businesses/supermarkets alike, that are designed to attract the customer. Admittedly they are not always the most ethical (e.g. sweets at children's eye-level ---such a sly move, yet economically genius at the same time) but at the end of the day it is part of the service. If you're a complete newbie to shopping, then this list is a God-send.

The list was obviously comprised by someone who has little knowledge of the business industry. That being said, I have read the source link and on the whole the article is more of a warning for extreme consumerists or shopping newbies, as stated before. Though, I personally find it common sense to pay attention to price and value when purchasing a product.

Lina
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Ok, agreed.

aamirsaab
10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lina
Ok.
I just re-read my passage and I apologise if it offended you. The points I made were aimed at the author of the article, not the messenger.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lina
10-14-2007, 08:08 PM
No no, there's nothing to apologize for.

You just said it all, so, I agreed by 'Ok'.

Miss Palestine
10-15-2007, 12:39 AM
oh wow lolz

Muezzin
10-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Some stores trick you by smacking you upside the head and stealing your wallet.

Granted, what they're selling isn't exactly legal in the first place, but what is a wannabe undercover cop to do?

Ummu Sufyaan
10-15-2007, 09:39 AM
1. Shopping carts. Most department-store customers enter the store intending to buy only an item or two, but the shopping carts are right there by the entrance and, oh, wouldn't it be convenient to have it so I can lean on it a bit while walking around and to put my stuff in it?
whaaaat the? nooo!!! what happens when you're in the middle of a big shopping trip, and you have loads of stuff, or atleast intend to buy loads of stuff, its gonna be pretty annyoing to drop all ya things to go gret a trolley that you could have easil;y gotton at the front. in fact if that was to occur, wouldn't that drive customers away, not to?

Lina
10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Then use a cart.

Nabooly
10-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Most of these are true, but stores are a business afterall, and just like you make money at a job you have, they make money by selling stuff. Noone is forcing you in the first place to purchase anything, lol :D

Salam. :)

Lina
01-21-2008, 05:34 PM
The bulk options and better deals are usually on the bottom shelves.

I've noticed this. :mmokay:

MartyrX
01-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Back in my retail days I managed a Dollar Tree and I had a lady actually get upset at me because we had candy by the check out aisles. I honestly thought she was crazy because every store I've been to has the same set-up.

syilla
01-22-2008, 12:50 AM
I kinda agree with the article... :p

If they don't provide all of that...i'm sure i shop less :hiding:

Z-Blade
01-22-2008, 12:54 AM
:sl:,

I usually only buy more than intended if there are special offers, as these don't last forever!

Wassalam.

crayon
01-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Haha, simply genius...
We better try to not fall for these tricks.

guyabano
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
There are 5 additional charcteristics, which I miss to see in the list:

1. Shops are mostly build, that there is a left twist when you enter. Excuse my bad english, I try to explain: Natural behaviour of humans is, they prefer to turn left than right. Many phsycological studies showed this behavior up. That's why expensive items are always displayed to left, also after entering the shop, the interesting shelves are also mostly oriented to the left.
  2. Crossbuying: When you go for example to the snacks-department(chips, dips, taccos, peanuts), the softdrink-department is not far away. Or it is not unusual, when you buy spaghetti (supposed to be the noodles-departement), you find the bolognese sauce just beside and the spices which go with.
  3. Shelves: Expensive Items are always on the height of the eyes, which the much cheaper stuff like noname is always lowest shelf or highest.
  4. Paydesks: While you wait in the line at the paydesk, you always find these handy small snack-packs, like chewing gums, chocolates, and important: Exactly displayed on the height of children eyes sitting in pushcart: Lollypops, gadgets, etc.
  5. Last but not least: These loads of 'Buy now before it is too late'-offers. Malls give you the feeling, you must buy this item now, as ONLY today available. All these special offers, 50% discounted stuff, etc.. is so annoying, because when you go the next day, it is still discounted or even 10% cheaper.

I simply love malls. There really show us, how stupid we are, and they really milk that

Lina
01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
^''I simply love malls. There really show us, how stupid we are, and they really milk that''

You silly human, you.

Oh and no. 3 is in the list.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.