/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read this book? or has it?

جوري
10-15-2007, 01:44 AM

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
00:00
10-15-2007, 09:41 AM
No.

Marmaduke William Pickthall (1875-1936) was a Western Islamic scholar, translator of the Qur'an, and a convert to Islam
Cant find any info about the book, whats it about?

NoName55
10-15-2007, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00
No.

Cant find any info about the book, whats it about?
a little info at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...649C946597D6CF

جوري
10-16-2007, 01:57 AM
I tried to buy a first edition from a fellow on ebay but I didn't think the price was right and he didn't accept the offer I made.. They have private sellers on Amazon much cheaper but I am not sure it is of the same edition or kept in as good a condition.. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it at all before I took the dive.. I know we probably have many book readers and collectors on board?...

It got good reviews even from H.G wells but such old books have become some what of a forgotten relic..

I still hope someone can find me more info about it.. and I do appreciate Br. NoName's effort.. Jazaka Allah khyran but the brief introduction has me more intrigued than ever about the characters and the subject ^o)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
10-16-2007, 03:13 AM
I read it years ago. But, to be honest I can not recall much of it. For some reason it did not make an impression on me at the time. However, now that I am Muslim, I may re-read it and see if my opinion is different.

جوري
10-16-2007, 03:42 AM
what was it about?

Woodrow
10-16-2007, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
what was it about?
:sl:

My memory is very vague of it. I just remember it was kind of a romance story set in Syria in the late 1800s or very early 1900s. I wasn't into Romance stories at that time. I was in high school when i read it.

Woodrow
10-16-2007, 04:42 AM
I should clarify what I meant by romance novel. That was written in the late Victorian Era and romance novels were more in line with being character and morality building books and have no resemblance to what is today thought of as a romance story. They were primarily written for young men and women and the characters portrayed very high values and virtues.

جوري
10-16-2007, 04:53 AM
I have a feeling I am going to like it... I lovvvvvvvvvve victorian era books in general (limited to short victorian horrors pls don't crucify me for saying that) anyhow
I was wondering if we should start a book club on LI for Islamic literature and the likes and you can be our arbiter, everyone would bring something new to the table? would people be up for that? we can start with this book? although I do appreciate the scarcity of it :mmokay:
eh it is just an idea...

believer
10-16-2007, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I have a feeling I am going to like it... I lovvvvvvvvvve victorian era books in general (limited to short victorian horrors pls don't crucify me for saying that) anyhow
I was wondering if we should start a book club on LI for Islamic literature and the likes and you can be our arbiter, everyone would bring something new to the table? would people be up for that? we can start with this book? although I do appreciate the scarcity of it :mmokay:
eh it is just an idea...
A Book Club would be nice! - .... have you encountered "Behold a Pale Horse"? - I don't know how I would classify this book... since it is based on facts and documents... about one mans' journey in discovering truth. Author is William Cooper. I am sure Woodrow is familiar with it.

In fact, I read some years ago just before I began re discovering my Bible to find and reflect on the book of Revelations... and when I finally read the Qur'an... I appreciated it the fact that I have read that book... due to the some truth written in it. That book was banned for many years... it was only recently after having so many movies and stories or write up came out to displell and deglamorize the existence of secret societies which came out in the public and this book eventually surfaced in the internet. If you google it - you will probably find it now... but last year in retrospect.... it wasn't available, (I tried all search sites to see if anyone has it). And most of the guys who have it before were afraid of their lives for merely possessing it. Anyway, just a thought. :statisfie

Eidh Mubarak!

جوري
10-16-2007, 05:51 PM
:sl: akhi.. That sounds like a good book to start with, if we can get many members to join our discussion.. perhaps you can make that recommendation? I don't know how we should do this, I'd like someone more knowing than me to take charge.. perhaps have a poll of 4 or 5 suggestions see what everyone would like to start with?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.