/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Book Club

جوري
10-16-2007, 05:17 AM
If we started a book club section on LI how many would participate?
How would you like the discussions to go about? chapter by chapter or half way through the book?
Also would books on philosophy in general be of interest? for instance be interested in reading something like Thomas Reid's Inquiry and Essays or A Treatise of Human Nature by David Hume stuff of that nature so when some drop names about to be condescending others aren't left out or clueless?
pls let me know in general if you'd like to participate, and if you do, if you'd like to stick with one category or if you'd like to expand into others like art, or history or psychology etc etc..
thank you
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
10-16-2007, 05:27 AM
I would be interested. My interests in books is very varied. I am not much for novels, but I enjoy biographies, history, anything scientific etc.

جوري
10-16-2007, 06:20 AM
hmmmmmmmn a disappointing three votes...
Think we should get at least 20 to be committed?

Ummu Sufyaan
10-16-2007, 06:29 AM
:sl:
can we post about islamic books. Inshallah, it would help me with remebering them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
10-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Yes insha'Allah.. once we get enough members.. each member will be given a chance to recommend a book and that person should be the arbiter of the discussion.. say I recommend one book, then see how many can get it, once we all have it, then we assign a discussion about it, say once a week or so, everyone puts their input, what, they thought of it, learned, points of focus, interests.. then the next person suggests another book..once we are all on board we discuss it etc, will go like until we have gone through the members of the book club then start all over insha'Allah.. but this really needs commitment and with commitment always comes growth insha'Allah

'Abd al-Baari
10-16-2007, 07:04 AM

I love the idea..A great way of learning! :)
P.S If it does happen i'd love to take part...if i'm allowed

Ummu Sufyaan
10-16-2007, 07:09 AM
why wouldn't you be allowed:?

'Abd al-Baari
10-16-2007, 07:12 AM

since i'm only 14...unfortunatley :(

Ummu Sufyaan
10-16-2007, 07:15 AM
im sorry, what does that have to do with anything?

'Abd al-Baari
10-16-2007, 07:18 AM

oops forgive me..i just thought sister PA might have wanted older people :)
Sorry..:-[

Ummu Sufyaan
10-16-2007, 07:20 AM
i see. i thouht i was misunderstanding something.

Umu 'Isa
10-16-2007, 07:51 AM
:salamext:
I'd be interested insha Allaah. But only islamic books, I don't really read much of anything else.

Woodrow
10-16-2007, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rahmah
:salamext:
I'd be interested insha Allaah. But only islamic books, I don't really read much of anything else.
The books would have to be halal, so I believe many would be Islamic.

believer
10-16-2007, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Yes insha'Allah.. once we get enough members.. each member will be given a chance to recommend a book and that person should be the arbiter of the discussion.. say I recommend one book, then see how many can get it, once we all have it, then we assign a discussion about it, say once a week or so, everyone puts their input, what, they thought of it, learned, points of focus, interests.. then the next person suggests another book..once we are all on board we discuss it etc, will go like until we have gone through the members of the book club then start all over insha'Allah.. but this really needs commitment and with commitment always comes growth insha'Allah

I love books! and I would really love to be a member of a book club!... but you must have patience with me... since my library is out of reach. I am in the middle of the dessert and I don't have my books with me. It's also difficult for me to go out and buy books right now. However, I am very much enthusiastic about this.

Regarding whether a book is Hallal or Harram... if a book is cleverly disguised to be Hallal seemingly... it is our duty as Muslims to identify it in order to give the general public or Ummah a foreword.

I am always challenged to read any book that any one claims to be great... for I know for a fact that only the books from Allah are the greatest... and any other book is purely for entertainment or past time. since they pose only as reference materials in enriching our knowledge. And of course, what comes in a mans body (including the mind) doesn't really make him dirty.... it's the output that makes one dirty... the brain activities or what happens in the mind will make us dirty. If our hearts and mind is fully occupied by our prayers and constant remembrance of Allah... no book in this world will ever lead it astray.

I vote yes for this! :sunny:

Abdul-Raouf
10-16-2007, 12:29 PM
My primary interest >> reading islamic books ...

also books about nature, creations,... etc...
also IT/Computer books.......

Amadeus85
10-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Recently i have read "Shahinshah" by Ryszard Kapuscinski about the reigns of Shah Pahlavi in Iran and Alain Finkielkraut' "In The Name of The Other.The antisemitic face of The Left" and a book by Bernard Lewis about contacts between muslim world and the West . Now im reading a book "Muslims in Europe". Soon i want to read Huntongton's "The Clash of Civilizations' and Pat Buchanan "The Death of West".

'Abd al-Baari
10-16-2007, 03:50 PM

Sister PA..how many members do you think we need before starting:?..Just wondering :)

czgibson
10-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The books would have to be halal, so I believe many would be Islamic.
I guess that means David Hume is out of the question, then...

In response to PA's original post: I'd be very interested in discussing philosophy books with others here. I think it's a great idea.

Peace

Isambard
10-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Political philosophy uggg..

Not that I dont like it, just its a great majority of what I already read cause of school so Im a bit bored of it atm >.<

Alot of the books I enjoy may be a bit umm...spicy and/or unorthodox so would most likely be considered haram, but if anyone is a very liberal reader and enjoys a good novel or non-Islamic religious text Id be happy to discuss :)

Trumble
10-16-2007, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I guess that means David Hume is out of the question, then...

In response to PA's original post: I'd be very interested in discussing philosophy books with others here. I think it's a great idea.
Likewise, although I don't have much time to commit to reading anything new outside of what I'm currently studying formally (philosophy of mind, and assorted Buddhist stuff nobody else would be remotely interested in).

An excellent idea, but I suspect it's only likely to work in relation to Islamic books. I'd hate to wade through 'Being and Nothingness' only to find I was the only person who had actually read it, and come to think of it I'm struggling very hard to think of many non-Islamic philosophers whose thought couldn't be considered haram in some way. As you say, Hume is definitely out, as would be my fave philosopher Spinoza. Political philosophy is even dodgier; Locke and Mill would be safe enough but Rousseau or Marx?!

Woodrow
10-16-2007, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Likewise, although I don't have much time to commit to reading anything new outside of what I'm currently studying formally (philosophy of mind, and assorted Buddhist stuff nobody else would be remotely interested in).

An excellent idea, but I suspect it's only likely to work in relation to Islamic books. I'd hate to wade through 'Being and Nothingness' only to find I was the only person who had actually read it, and come to think of it I'm struggling very hard to think of many non-Islamic philosophers whose thought couldn't be considered haram in some way. As you say, Hume is definitely out, as would be my fave philosopher Spinoza. Political philosophy is even dodgier; Locke and Mill would be safe enough but Rousseau or Marx?!
I would not be too quick to rule out a book even by Hume and Spinoza. Each book is very individual . I could see a valid critique of either of their works being done from an Islamic perspective and from a secular view.

Keep in mind this idea of a book club is currently just an idea and if it becomes a reality, than specific guidelines can be put in place.

Isambard
10-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Nietzche would definely be out :(

czgibson
10-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Greetings,
I would not be too quick to rule out a book even by Hume and Spinoza. Each book is very individual . I could see a valid critique of either of their works being done from an Islamic perspective and from a secular view.
I would love to see an Islamic critique of Hume's 'Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion'.

Peace

Haidar_Abbas
10-16-2007, 05:24 PM

:D count me in but i think it should be made muslims only (alot of issues dont need to be talked about outside believers ranks)

:D :sl:

جوري
10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Hello everyone.. it is awesome to see this turn out.. I was hoping to hear from Rav He too isn't a fan of Nietzche but his input on some of these book discussions would be enriching..
let me just say, I am not the boss of this and word doesn't return to me, it is something that the mods will have to agree on based on turn out here
1- THERE ARE NO AGE RESTRICTIONS, and I'd urge the older better read members to be kinder to the young ones..
2- Also we'd have to find a really cheap website for purchase and pay attention to everyone's financial situation.. I am a big fan of building your private library with things you enjoy.. but I am also a fan of just borrowing from libraries, so, if you don't have a library card this would be a good time to get one...
3-Due to the young age of some of the members, some books will have to be a restriction.. I am not a fan of censorship and agree fully with all that Br. believer said.. but some material is simply inappropriate for 14 year olds
4- If you recommend a book, we'll have to have a consensus and it will be binding i.e you can't suggest everyone reads something and then back out after chapter three.. if it is your recommendation you'll be in charge of starting the thread and initiating the discussions.
5- I have never been a member of any book club discussions since I was in high school and that was ages ago ( I am not that old but it really was a long time ago)
Pls let me know what you all think? we still need a minmum of 20 members no?
questions, comments, complaints, backtalk are all welcome

peace :w:
M

Woodrow
10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Perhaps a trial Book club on a separate web page, one that can be viewed by all of the forum members, yet separate from the forum. a trial thing to see if it can be worked into something here.

جوري
10-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Just an addendum:
we'll be reading 'clean books' Insha'Allah.. -- I enjoy philosophy on all leves but I don't enjoy anti-Islamic books and will not be paying for them or borrowing them from libraries...
I'd not mind someone like mr CZGibson recommending what he thinks is a reasonably well thought book that raises points of interest, but I won't be reading any (daniel pipe-esque) type books so let me just get that out of the way!
BY the way a personal favorite of mine are poetry especially Machado, akhmatova and khalil Jibran but if no one is into poetry then we can exclude that from our club...

thank you
:w:--peace

Isambard
10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Weeee, my books just came in :D

If anyone is interested, I will be reading;

The Puppet Masters- Robert Heinlein
Dying to Live- Kim Paffenroth
Atlas Shrugged- Ayn Rand

So yeah, if anyone is interested in any of those lemme know to be reading buddies haha

Ummu Sufyaan
10-17-2007, 09:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

Sister PA..how many members do you think we need before starting:?..Just wondering :)
atleast 20, she said.
Think we should get at least 20 to be committed?

smile
10-17-2007, 03:54 PM
I like reading novels!!!

جوري
10-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Good things are in the making insha'Allah.. I am sorry akhi for negelcting your Q.. 20 does sound like a good number but it doesn't have to be.. if it is within reason..

Soon I'll make an announcement insha'Allah

Miss Palestine
10-17-2007, 10:38 PM
thatss nice masha'Allahh

Woodrow
10-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Good things are in the making insha'Allah.. I am sorry akhi for negelcting your Q.. 20 does sound like a good number but it doesn't have to be.. if it is within reason..

Soon I'll make an announcement insha'Allah

Us book lovers can't stand waiting. go ahead and make the announcement. Although I will probably have to move this thread to the links exchange section as soon as you do.

We know everything is just in the forming stage, but maybe we can all help.

جوري
10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
lol akhi.. though I think this would be much better received from you?

I hear by declare the grand opening of the book club.. all interested pls sign
http://abdullahx2.proboards76.com/index.cgi

brother woodrow did all the hard work and is giving me all the credits...
Jazaka Allah khyran and I hope all of you enjoy it insha'Allah

'Abd al-Baari
10-18-2007, 08:33 PM

I've joined..looks good Mashallah! Well done Uncle Woodrow and sis PA :)

MuslimahBarb
10-18-2007, 09:11 PM
How would you like the discussions to go about? chapter by chapter or half way through the book?
Also would books on philosophy in general be of interest? for instance be interested in reading something like Thomas Reid's Inquiry and Essays or A Treatise of Human Nature by David Hume stuff of that nature so when some drop names about to be condescending others aren't left out or clueless?
pls let me know in general if you'd like to participate, and if you do, if you'd like to stick with one category or if you'd like to expand into others like art, or history or psychology etc etc..
thank you

My Dear Sister,
I think this is an excellent idea! Count me in!!:D

Salam,
Sister Barb

IbnAbdulHakim
10-18-2007, 09:20 PM
lol, i think its going to be hard to keep up an internet book club.. especially with 20 people always involved.

the main deterrent would be getting hold of the book :X

Kittygyal
10-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Salam.

I joined in and be nice

Ma'assalama

Woodrow
10-18-2007, 10:18 PM
It should be noted that non-Muslim members are welcome. there is a seperate section for legitimate debates, that is visible by request only.

جوري
10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
members don't all have to be reading the same book at the same time.. that is absured.. someone may make a suggestion and those who want to partake it is actually nice to see debates of that sort unravel.. you may for instance have a discussion on to kill a mocking bird.. I have already read it so I can join in out of having read it but not all members should or would.. did you actually see how it is setup?

Abdul-Raouf
10-19-2007, 07:28 AM
I voted and i have joined........

Pk_#2
10-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey!!!!!!!!!! Mr super mod you moved everything but my post, im hurt :p ..NOT :D

Hiya :embarrass

What's up with your background, what colour is it, my pc messed up and i can't see nothing 'cause i think your background colour is dark :'(

I cant see the register button, :-\

AsalmuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Woodrow
10-19-2007, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
Hey!!!!!!!!!! Mr super mod you moved everything but my post, im hurt :p ..NOT :D

Hiya :embarrass

What's up with your background, what colour is it, my pc messed up and i can't see nothing 'cause i think your background colour is dark :'(

I cant see the register button, :-\

AsalmuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

On the site there is a post on how to register for those who are having problems registering.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-19-2007, 12:17 PM
isnt it gonna get a bit messy if we all dont discuss the same book :confused:

but its a nice idea, suggest a book! my sister would love to join actually

sevgi
10-19-2007, 12:21 PM
salams...

i cant be bothered reading all the posts so im gna ask...do we have to be reading something religious? if yes, all religions?

thanks.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-19-2007, 12:22 PM
^ na it doesnt have to be religious, just novels n stuff, maybe we can discuss horror books at some point? but NOT james herbert, such a filthy maN :|

sevgi
10-19-2007, 12:28 PM
yaayyy!!!!

charles dickens...:)

as a lit student, im gna love this!!!

Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
chaeles dickens. jog my memory. who was he again. btw, did you find out who iceman was?

IbnAbdulHakim
10-19-2007, 12:37 PM
^ he wrote the all famous "christmas carol", quite a good writer in my opinion

Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2007, 12:39 PM
christmas coral? and famous too? im completley lost.

sevgi
10-19-2007, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
chaeles dickens. jog my memory. who was he again. btw, did you find out who iceman was?
lol..no i couldnt look into it...its quite embarrasing as i am a medieval hsty student:embarrass

dickens...pen name was 'boz'...died in 1870...cant remember birth...1812?:embarrass

he wrote: David copperfield, great expectations, oliver twist, a tale of two cities, dombey and sons, hard times, bleak house ....many more:)

Musaafirah
10-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I'd love to take part ..but what does Recherche mean? :-[

Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
lol..no i couldnt look into it...its quite embarrasing as i am a medieval hsty student:embarrass

dickens...pen name was 'boz'...died in 1870...cant remember birth...1812?:embarrass

he wrote: David copperfield, great expectations, oliver twist, a tale of two cities, dombey and sons, hard times, bleak house ....many more:)
david copperfield i have heard of, oliver twist also. (forget the others-:pargh!! im gonna have to use the ugly smily again) didn't have a clue he wrote them though....;D;D

but what does Recherche mean?
lol, thats exactly what i was thinking.

Musaafirah
10-19-2007, 12:48 PM
^^ hehe..I wonder if anyone'll answer..
Btw Charles Dickens also wrote Nocholas Nickleby if you've ever heard of it..

Isambard
10-19-2007, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye

Aww that bring back memories.....

of watching the kids show Wishbone where the little dog would play out the main characters of famous works of literature lol.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2007, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
nope. lol. wait, great expectations i'm pretty sure i've heard of.

sevgi
10-19-2007, 12:56 PM
hmmm..im pretty sure i have an e-copy on my usb....but i havent read it...

*KB*
10-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Assalamualykum

Marsha'Allah fantastic idea! Even though i do not like admitting it but i am a little book worm:):statisfie: So to have this would be great! We could have a mixture on books, fantasy, islamic, horror and all sorts of genres ranging from kids books like Roald Dahl to adult books like ...(sorry don't know any i'm not an adult lol).

Hope this idea is put through please PM me to let me know Jazak'Allah Khairan.

Assalamualykum
*KB*
:coolious:

Woodrow
10-20-2007, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *KB*
Assalamualykum

Marsha'Allah fantastic idea! Even though i do not like admitting it but i am a little book worm:):statisfie: So to have this would be great! We could have a mixture on books, fantasy, islamic, horror and all sorts of genres ranging from kids books like Roald Dahl to adult books like ...(sorry don't know any i'm not an adult lol).

Hope this idea is put through please PM me to let me know Jazak'Allah Khairan.

Assalamualykum
*KB*
:coolious:
I believe a seperate book section as a category in the forum would be a bit too large. However, some of us members have started a book clup specificaly for LI members.

Check the link exchange section:

http://www.islamicboard.com/exchange...tml#post844744

czgibson
10-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
Here you go:

Charles Dickens

Iceman

I'd love to take part ..but what does Recherche mean?
Recherch&#233;

Folks, don't forget: you're on the Internet - the largest information resource the world has ever seen.

Peace

Kittygyal
10-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Salamualikum.

I think because of background the site is taking even longer as it should..

It's not ma Computer just that site Humm... :L

Ma'assalama

aasia
10-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Assalama Alaykum,
I love the idea of a book club, it makes it more interesting when you start one with people on the internet. My friends and I are planning to start one Insha Allah. One thing i have noticed is that everyone agrees on the idea of having a book club but not on what book to read. I hope that we choose a book soon.

جوري
10-20-2007, 09:42 PM
we are waiting for more members to join and for everyone to be comfortable.. I think sometimes people get exceited and then feel the burden of reponsibility to they back out... for now they can log in and share some of their writing, or favorite short pieces or small critiques then work their way.. to making polls with suggestions and seeing how many of the joined members would actively partake in reading such a book and actively having discussions

Musaafirah
10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
My taste in books is totally varied..I go through phases..
however, are you guys going to choose a specific book to review or will you jus write up thoughts on a book you've liked reading? ?:

shible
10-22-2007, 06:51 PM
As of Now i shall enroll myself .

but i have books on many categories on my PC so i will have a discussion abt this with either PA or someone and then i could move on further

Insha Allah

amille40
10-23-2007, 12:55 AM
You can count me in, I am certainly interested. Id actually love to be pointed in the direction of some great Islamic books.

Woodrow
10-23-2007, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Salamualikum.

I think because of background the site is taking even longer as it should..

It's not ma Computer just that site Humm... :L

Ma'assalama

A few changes have been made. after a person registers as a member they can now go to there profile and select what "skin" hey want to few the Bookclub with. The simplest one is labled plain, it is very generic with only text. There are about 5 choices now and more are being added.

Inquisitive
10-23-2007, 10:08 PM
I would like to join the bookclub. What do i have to do take part in it? :?

Woodrow
10-23-2007, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inquisitive
I would like to join the bookclub. What do i have to do take part in it? :?

Whatever you desire, there are books up for review you can comment on, there are plenty of books to read on line, You can suggest books, you can start a thread about any book you are interested in. the main thing is read, learn how to review and critique book anything that has to do with books.

Isambard
10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Woodrow, are there certain texts that are just a no-no?

Like say if I wanted to discuss (objectively) works by De Saude, Rushdie, or even certain piece of 'contrivesial literature' would that be okay?

Woodrow
10-23-2007, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
Woodrow, are there certain texts that are just a no-no?

Like say if I wanted to discuss (objectively) works by De Saude, Rushdie, or even certain piece of 'contrivesial literature' would that be okay?
Yes, there are some texts that are a no-no, anything that is obviously anti-Islam, pornography, etc. Controversial is a very subjective opinion. the best choice there would be if a person is not certain, there is a password protected section in which a person could post it and than it can be screened by either myself or an admin.

Isambard
10-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Yes, there are some texts that are a no-no, anything that is obviously anti-Islam, pornography, etc. Controversial is a very subjective opinion. the best choice there would be if a person is not certain, there is a password protected section in which a person could post it and than it can be screened by either myself or an admin.
Alrighty ty:D

ranma1/2
10-24-2007, 12:47 AM
thank you
I think it would be a neat idea, perhaps have different sections for different genre.

fiction / nonfiction / scifi /fantasty etc....

جوري
10-24-2007, 01:04 AM
it has been up for a while if you want to join..

http://abdullahx2.proboards76.com/index.cgi

cheers

Woodrow
10-24-2007, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
I think it would be a neat idea, perhaps have different sections for different genre.

fiction / nonfiction / scifi /fantasty etc....
At the present time we have 98 topics in 17 categories. That is being added to daily. There is probably a genre for nearly everybody, plus members can request or start new topics and categories.

Numerous books can be read either online or downloaded in PDF. The registered members have access to over 3,000,000 books that can be read online, if they take the time to click the links given.

جوري
09-30-2008, 05:01 PM
:bump:

Eid mubarak everyone

Güven
10-01-2008, 02:08 PM
its Been a While since i read any books , i used to hate them!
But since this year i started reading again :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.