/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy

Qingu
10-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Hello everyone. I'm Qingu and I'm very excited to participate on this forum. I used to post on another Muslim message board, but it became so glitchy that it became impossible to use, and I've greatly missed the discussions I had there.

I am an atheist and a secular humanist. I am greatly opposed to the Iraq War and I am not a fan of Zionism. I believe people everywhere should treat each other respectfully and settle their differences with rational discussion, not violence.

I have studied Islam, along with several other religions, including Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, and ancient Mesopotamian religions. Even though I am an atheist, I am greatly interested in religion in general. I've read the Quran and a few portions of hadith and other Islamic sources in college and I am hoping to learn more about your religion from talking about it with you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hawaisat
10-16-2007, 09:30 AM
welcome enjoy ask away

believer
10-16-2007, 09:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu
I have studied Islam, along with several other religions, including Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, and ancient Mesopotamian religions. Even though I am an atheist, I am greatly interested in religion in general. I've read the Quran and a few portions of hadith and other Islamic sources in college and I am hoping to learn more about your religion from talking about it with you.
Hi Qinggu!

Welcome here!!!

You mentioned you have read the Qur'an... I hope you don't mind if I ask... how much of the Holy Qur'an have you read?

I was once all of the above you have mentioned.... never really bothered studying partial information of something but would rather experience immersion to everything.

Apparently you are a seeker of knowledge.

Which reminds me of a verse in the Qur'an where Allah SWT said... that the path to paradise of those who seek knowledge about the truth will be made easy. Pardon me for not quoting the actual verse....

again, welcome and may you find this website forums beneficial to you.

P.S.

I am against war in Iraq or in any place whatsoever... the real war happens inside the minds and hearts of men. The real war is happening inside everyone of us. It has been a constant battle between the right and evil decisions... the battle field is in our mind... the fort is in our hearts. who ever wins the battle in our minds... gains control of the forts in our hearts.

Take care!

Abdul-Raouf
10-17-2007, 05:44 AM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tilmeez
10-17-2007, 06:28 AM
:Welcome: on board!

*~Sofia~*
10-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Peace

Welcome to the LI family.. i hope u have a beneficial stay
Explore the forums, take part in the discussions, enjoy and get posting :D

Just ask away any questions u may have :)

Peace out

Kittygyal
10-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Ehyo!

Al_Imaan
10-18-2007, 02:00 AM
:welcome: to the forum. Hope you have a beneficial stay.

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
10-18-2007, 08:26 PM

Qingu
10-19-2007, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by believer
Hi Qinggu!

Welcome here!!!
Why thank you. :)

You mentioned you have read the Qur'an... I hope you don't mind if I ask... how much of the Holy Qur'an have you read?
All of it, though it's been 5 or 6 years. Had to for college. I started reading it again a few months ago but I sort of lost interest.

I am against war in Iraq or in any place whatsoever... the real war happens inside the minds and hearts of men. The real war is happening inside everyone of us. It has been a constant battle between the right and evil decisions... the battle field is in our mind... the fort is in our hearts. who ever wins the battle in our minds... gains control of the forts in our hearts.
Strangely enough, I sort of agree with you. Though I have a feeling we'd disagree on what the "sides" are in this "battle." :)

Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2007, 05:01 AM
hi,
welcome to the forum
:sl:

believer
10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu
Why thank you. :)

All of it, though it's been 5 or 6 years. Had to for college. I started reading it again a few months ago but I sort of lost interest.

I wouldnt be surprised... are you performing ablution before reading it?... before I first read the qur'an I was advised to wash myself first and pray for guidance. It is believed that one who reads it without cleaning himself and asking for guidance will never really understand it or will simply lose interest.

Strangely enough, I sort of agree with you. Though I have a feeling we'd disagree on what the "sides" are in this "battle." :)

I don't know what sides you are referring to.... I am not siding with anyone except what is for the common good... everything is a cause and effect... I don't judge an effect to be the cause. Effects are just tips of the ice berg. It seems to me you are jduging many things by looking at the trees and not the forest.

I also have the impression you are not here to be convinced of anything whatsoever... and don't expect me to do that anyway. You are free to agree or disagree to anything... just leave your prejudices outside this thread. AGREE?...

Sahabiyaat
10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
(whoa....calammmmmm ^)

welcome to the forum

Qingu
10-20-2007, 05:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by believer
I wouldnt be surprised... are you performing ablution before reading it?... before I first read the qur'an I was advised to wash myself first and pray for guidance. It is believed that one who reads it without cleaning himself and asking for guidance will never really understand it or will simply lose interest.
Ablutions, eh? Well, I do wash my hands pretty compulsively but no, I must say I've never performed ritual ablutions before reading any holy book. As for praying, I'm not sure who I would be praying to for guidance, since I'm an atheist. :)

I don't know what sides you are referring to.... I am not siding with anyone except what is for the common good... everything is a cause and effect... I don't judge an effect to be the cause. Effects are just tips of the ice berg. It seems to me you are jduging many things by looking at the trees and not the forest.
Oh, the sides in the mind vs. matter battle, in my opinion, can be identified through the theory of evolution. Whereas religious people tend to view it in terms of spirit vs. flesh or God vs. evil human nature. (I'm worried we're getting a little too discussion-y for an introduction thread!)

I also have the impression you are not here to be convinced of anything whatsoever... and don't expect me to do that anyway. You are free to agree or disagree to anything... just leave your prejudices outside this thread. AGREE?...
Well. I don't think anyone goes anywhere with the intention of being convinced.

I doubt very much that anyone is going to change my mind about religion, as it's something I've thought about and studied quite extensively. But I try to keep an open mind, and my mind has changed many times about many things. I am here to learn and discuss, and if anyone would like to try to "convince" me, I would always welcome such a discussion!

Woodrow
10-20-2007, 05:15 AM
Welcome to the forum. I apologize for not having noticed this thread earlier. I see you have already been quite active. Honest disagreement is acceptable.

I hope your stay here will be a beneficial or at least an enjoyable experience for you.

Feel free to ask questions. Fortunatly, you seem to have had some experience with speaking with Muslims and have some knowledge that we will have differences of opinion. We can at least agree to disagree with respect.

Qingu
10-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

'Abd al-Baari
10-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey,

Welcome to the forums :)
Hope you have a beneficial stay :shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!