/* */

PDA

View Full Version : complimenting a womans beauty

nevesirth
10-19-2007, 12:32 AM
as muslims are we allowed to compliment a womans beauty. for example if u meet a beautiful muslim woman, is it ok to make a statement aknowledging the fact that she is beautiful, in a harmless way of course, devoid of any sinister motives? and what if shes married?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NYCmuslim
10-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Hmmmm...maybe you can say it in a modest way like: "You look nice"? I don't know. The girl might get a wrong impression.

Peace be unto you all

:w:

*charisma*
10-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I don't think you should do that. Even passing salaams becomes a touchy subject, and Islamically, it shouldn't go any further than that unless necessary. Especially since you're face-to-face, it may make her uncomfortable, even if you're saying it in a harmless way; and if its flattering to her then you'd both be at risk of, if not already counted as, fitnah.

I personally wouldn't accept any brother, especially if I have great respect for him to ruin his islamic image by giving me his opinion on how I look to him. For him to go to the extent on complimenting me, would mean he doesnt lower his gaze and acts upon some desire. That's just me though.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

MadeenJibreel
10-19-2007, 01:24 AM

don't do it. Not so long ago when I was visiting my family with my wife, when we were outdoors, a man (perhaps a Christian or a kafeer) said in an ugly way something about my wife's beauty - I almost cut his head off. First of all, she did nothing wrong, not with the way she was dressed not with anything else. Second of all, the country is a supposed Christian country, but I would probably react the same the way I did, be it a Muslim country or not, be it a Muslim man or not. In fact, I'd probably get more angry if if happened in a Muslim country and if I heard words like those from a Muslims.

Now imagine somebody saying words like this to a Sahaba's (r.a.) wife? Hmmmmm

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
10-19-2007, 01:40 AM
This is a very delicate subject. Things a person says to a member of the opposite gender have to be considered carefully being say them. If there is any possibility the words could be mistaken for fitnah, it is best not to say them. Compliments should be reserved for honest statements about something said or done. Like for instance after eating at a Brothers house, it would be appropriate to say to the brother that you greatly enjoyed the meal and he is fortunate to have a wife who is such an excellent cook and hostess. Or in the dealing of business transaction with a woman it would be appropriate in complimenting her on her honesty or expertise, providing it is an honest compliment.

To ever compliment a woman about her physical beauty is at the least in poor taste. The immediate question that arises is: "How come you were in a situation to even be aware of her physical beauty?"

Abdul-Raouf
10-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Y u need to comment..control yourself ?......keep it to your heart and say Alhamdulillah....once..

Try not to see her face again and again....

nevesirth
10-19-2007, 02:35 AM
i appreciate ur replies. but there are certain women u come across and u are struck by their beauty, u will definitely think abt it in ur mind tht shes beautiful but u might chose not to voice it out. isnt it like sincerely appreciating Allahs creation?

*charisma*
10-19-2007, 02:53 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Say it to yourself, if she is as beautiful as you say she is, I don't think she'll need you to say something in order for her to think you're thinking it lol. Say Mashallah wa subhanallah to yourself and leave it at that and inshallah that will suffice the sincerity to Allah, as He is afterall the creator of all beauty. Her beauty may be a test for herself, and a test for others, so don't fall into the traps.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

nevesirth
10-19-2007, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Say it to yourself, if she is as beautiful as you say she is, I don't think she'll need you to say something in order for her to think you're thinking it lol. Say Mashallah wa subhanallah to yourself and leave it at that and inshallah that will suffice the sincerity to Allah, as He is afterall the creator of all beauty. Her beauty may be a test for herself, and a test for others, so don't fall into the traps.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
salam

i will take ur advise, ill just keep it to myself. shukran

Qingu
10-19-2007, 03:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MadeenJibreel

don't do it. Not so long ago when I was visiting my family with my wife, when we were outdoors, a man (perhaps a Christian or a kafeer) said in an ugly way something about my wife's beauty - I almost cut his head off.
Wow. Praytell, why would you cut someone's head off for complimenting your wife? Or even for saying something rude to your wife?

And may I ask: who was more offended, you or your wife?

*charisma*
10-19-2007, 03:26 AM
^ It's very natural for any muslim man to feel protective over his wife. Some idiots go further than rude compliments and need a little sign to know to back off. The husband is there for a reason, the woman shouldn't have to speak a word if her husband is around.

He didn't cut the guys head off, nor do I think he would've... its only a description of the anger he felt, so just chill.

Qingu
10-19-2007, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
^ It's very natural for any muslim man to feel protective over his wife. Some idiots go further than rude compliments and need a little sign to know to back off. The husband is there for a reason, the woman shouldn't have to speak a word if her husband is around.

He didn't cut the guys head off, nor do I think he would've... its only a description of the anger he felt, so just chill.
I feel that there is a large gulf between "feeling protective" of one's wife and "wanting to cut off someone's head for catcalling" one's wife. I understand that he did not in fact cut the guy's head off, but I find it a little frightening that he was apparently angry enough to write that he wanted to.

*charisma*
10-19-2007, 03:52 AM
Why be frightened? It's very common for a lot of people to say such comments, and not just written but to actually say it, especially amongst men. Face it, men have a bad rep from their tempers. The point is, the event occured, bro got mad over it, and its over with and nothing happened.We don't know every single detail that made him that angry to that point, or it could simply be an issue with anger itself. So let's not make a mountain out of a grain of sand.

In addition to what has been said, the majority of men are overprotective/jealous of their female relatives. I think its a fitrah.

snakelegs
10-19-2007, 04:36 AM
beautiful people can't help the fact that they are beautiful - it is from god. so that is where praise/thanks are due.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2007, 04:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu
Wow. Praytell, why would you cut someone's head off for complimenting your wife? Or even for saying something rude to your wife?

And may I ask: who was more offended, you or your wife?
:sl:
dont mean to attac you, but i say good for him. his wife should feel important that her husband is jealous or her (unlike many husbands these days, who are completely the opposite).
:sl:

Abdul-Raouf
10-19-2007, 05:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Y u need to comment..control yourself ?......keep it to your heart and say Alhamdulillah....once..

Try not to see her face again and again....

If her face stays in ur memory... just say Alhamdulillah again and again...

Thats it.... :alright:

:threadclo

Al-Zaara
10-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Best advices given, mashaAllah.

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.