/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reciting Allah's (swt) 99 names XX times?

kh@led
10-19-2007, 03:22 AM
:sl:

Many times I hear that if you are in any trouble or want to achieve someting etc. , you can recite a specific name of Allah (swt) a specific number of times so that your wish may be fulfilled. For example
Al-Waaris اَلْوَارِثُ - If this name is repeated 100 times at sunrise, protection will be given against all sorrows, grief, hardships and calamities. Moreover the reader will die as a Mu’min – Insha-Allah. Anyone who desires to be safeguarded against perplexities, perturbations and disturbances should repeat this name 1,000 times between Maghrib and Isha
How authentic are these kinda information? Are there any basis or reliable source in Islam for these kinda information?

Jazakallah Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
11-30-2007, 12:16 PM
:salamext:

Yeh I would like to know this as well please.

Angelzz
11-30-2007, 12:22 PM
wa alaykum salam akhi,

If I am understanding you correctly in what you are asking - I dont believe there is a islamic basis but allahu allam -- it does sound however something similar to what the shia do/have though.

Also I have heard similar to what you are saying but it is used by people involving haram and jinns but again allahu allam.

I may be wrong and may allah swt forgive me for my mistakes.

Angelzz
11-30-2007, 12:26 PM
May i further add just to clarify though -- there is nothing wrong in using the 99 names of allah swt and using them to appeal to Him via dua and that name ---- the confusion and maybe misguidance of some comes in the repetition of a particular name so mnay times -- where there is no basis for it islamically (and that is where i do not know if any exist - however in my personal readings of islam I have not come across this allahu allam)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sahabiyaat
11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
yes i have a book at home which says the same thing.read this name this many times/doing this or at this time....and hey presto,u will have what u want.
i am very disappointed that all my wishes cant be granted so easily lol

Angelzz
11-30-2007, 12:34 PM
sis what is the name of the book and who wrote it ?

Ummu Sufyaan
11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
yeah, i was given a book like that. whats your one called

Sahabiyaat
11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
take a wild wild guess

the 99 names of Allah

lol.cnt remember who its by??

------
11-30-2007, 12:38 PM

When in doubt, google it :D

Ummu Sufyaan
11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
take a wild wild guess

the 99 names of Allah

lol.cnt remember who its by??
lol...i dont know either, it didnt say. but it was published by al-idara.

Angelzz
11-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Well cant advise much if we dont know the author than can we -- however generally speaking --- investigate your books and their sources thoroughly brothers and sisters before belieiving what is in them ---- DONT TAKE UR ISLAM from just ANYWHERE AND FROM JUST ANYONE.

Please be careful my dearest brothers and sisters.

Angelzz
11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
hmmm sis im not too keen on this source

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Specifying a number of times to recite dhikr or du’aa’ that is not narrated in sharee’ah
Question:
What are the basis of using such du'a as Ya lADIFU 29 TIMES Ya Qahharu 306 times, Hasbunallahu wa ni'imal wakeel 450 times e.t.c,how right or how wrong is it to use them because i didn't find any verse of the Qur'an or Hadith that supports their use.
Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no sound (saheeh) basis for reciting these adhkaar the number of times mentioned in the question. These numbers are usually stated by some of the innovators, most of whom are Sufis, who describe adhkaar and the number of times they are to be repeated, making that up themselves; they say whoever recites such and such will get such and such benefits and protection, and whoever recites such and such a word will get such and such a reward.

Of course, these are matters which can only be known through wahy (revelation). So the basic principle in this case is that dhikr and du’aa’s are of two types:
1 – Adhkaar which were narrated in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, to be recited at a certain time, in a certain place or in certain circumstances. This type should be recited as prescribed, at the appropriate time, or in the appropriate circumstances or place, with the correct words or posture, without adding anything or taking anything away.

2 – All dhikr or du’aa’ in general that is not connected to certain times or places. These fall into two categories:
(i) Those which were narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so they should be recited in the wording that he used. They should not be connected to any particular time or place, and they should not be connected to a specific number of times to be recited.

(ii) Those which were not narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), rather the person makes them up himself, or they were narrated from the salaf. It is permissible to say such words so long as five conditions are met:
1- He should choose the best and clearest words, for he is conversing with his Lord and God.
2- The words should be of an appropriate style.
3- The du’aa’ should be free of anything that is forbidden in Islam, e.g. it should involve any element of seeking help from anything other than Allaah, and so on.
4- It should be of the general kind of dhikr and du’aa’, not connected to a particular time, place or circumstances.
5- It should not be taken as a regular practice.
Adapted from Tasheeh al-Du’aa’ by Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd (p. 42)

Based on the above, the words mentioned in the question are phrases that are narrated in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, but saying that they must be repeated this number of times is an innovated matter which should not be followed. Rather we should mention them during our du’aa’s and address Allaah by all His beautiful names, without singling out some names or stating that they should be recited a certain number of times or at certain times, making that up ourselves. We should adhere to what was narrated in sharee’ah concerning certain times, places or situations connected to a particular du’aa’; if no such details were narrated in sharee’ah then we should not make them up ourselves because that is encroaching upon the rights of Prophethood.

And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=22457&ln=eng

Angelzz
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
JazakAllah khair akhi for posting that

Pk_#2
11-30-2007, 01:56 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh bro 'Ubaydullah,

Specifying a number of times to recite dhikr or du’aa’
(ii) It is permissible to say such words so long as five conditions are met:
5- It should not be taken as a regular practice.
Allah's messenger (salallahu Alayhi Wassalam) said: "the best loved deeds to allah are the ones that are continuous even if they are not very many."

Huh is that a contradictions or am i seeing things?

And I believe thats for dhikr and du'a and more:

“… ‘My slave keeps drawing nearer to me with naafil (supererogatory) deeds until I love him.’” (Sahih al-Bukhari)

The phrase maa yazaalu 'keeps (drawing near' gives the impression of continuity. (Hadith Qudsi)

Indeed, when the Prophet (Salallahu Alayhi Wasalam) did something, he kept it up (Muslim)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh bro 'Ubaydullah,

Allah's messenger (salallahu Alayhi Wassalam) said: "the best loved deeds to allah are the ones that are continuous even if they are not very many."

Huh is that a contradictions or am i seeing things?

And I believe thats for dhikr and du'a and more:

“… ‘My slave keeps drawing nearer to me with naafil (supererogatory) deeds until I love him.’” (Sahih al-Bukhari)

The phrase maa yazaalu 'keeps (drawing near' gives the impression of continuity. (Hadith Qudsi)

Indeed, when the Prophet (Salallahu Alayhi Wasalam) did something, he kept it up (Muslim)
:w:

Allaahu Alam, I am not the one who wrote the fatwa. However, I don't see a contradiction between those hadith and what was stated in the fatwa, because the Shaykh, may Allaah have mercy upon him, says what you have quoted under this heading:
(ii) Those which were not narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), rather the person makes them up himself, or they were narrated from the salaf.
The "such words" is referring to duas or adhkar one makes up himself or they were from the salaf, but not from the Prophet - i.e. they are not a sunnah per say. Allahu Alam.

Pk_#2
11-30-2007, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Ubaydullah
:w:

Allaahu Alam, I am not the one who wrote the fatwa. However, I don't see a contradiction between those hadith and what was stated in the fatwa, because the Shaykh, may Allaah have mercy upon him, says what you have quoted under this heading:
(ii) Those which were not narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), rather the person makes them up himself, or they were narrated from the salaf.
The "such words" is referring to duas or adhkar one makes up himself or they were from the salaf, but not from the Prophet - i.e. they are not a sunnah per say. Allahu Alam.
AslamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

I thought i read, 'I am not the only one who wrote the fatwa', was getting worried,

Anyhow, what is Adhkar?, sorry am really stupid,

But I get it now, jazakAllah khair.

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-30-2007, 07:56 PM

Adhkaar is plural for dhikr, if I'm not mistaken.

snakelegs
11-30-2007, 09:42 PM
so saying Subahanallah 33 times and alhumdillah 33 times and allahuakbar 33 times (which adds to 99) is wrong - because it's a set number of times?
what about tasbih? some do it on their fingers - is that wrong also?
i can see that it is superstitious to believe that if you say anything a specific number of times you will get such and such a result, but it's wrong even if not done with that intent?
it seems like the problem would be with superstitious beliefs and not with the specific number itself, but the problem is that it is not sunnah?

NoName55
11-30-2007, 09:46 PM
so saying Subahanallah 33 times and alhumdillah 33 times and allahuakbar 33 times (which adds to 99) is wrong
Subahanallah is a meaningfull phrase as are alhumdillah and allahuakbar and are not same as repeating a name endlessly.

Book 4. Prayer.
Hadith 1239. (Sahi Muslim)

cant talk about prayer beads for fear of being "punished" for talking "sects"

snakelegs
11-30-2007, 09:51 PM
is the 33 times permissable?
(i know that some say using beads is bid'a)

Pk_#2
11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Jazakillah khair Faizah,

Good question Snakey,

I think that is permissable as it is in the Sunnah of the prophet (Salallahu Alayhi Wassalam) the above dealt with phrases that people made up or things that were from our pious predecessors but not Muhammed (Salallahu Alayhi Wassalam)

Heres the hadith by the way:

"Whoever glorifies Allah at the end of every Salah 33 times (Subhanallah), and praises Allah 33 times (Alhamdulillah), and utters the word of Greatness33 times, (Allahu Akbar) that is ninety nine, then completes it with one hundred, saying: `Laa ilaha illallah wahdahu laa sharika lahuu lahul Mulk wa lahul hamd wa huwa `alaa kulli shay in qadeer, his shortcomings will be forgiven, even if it is as large as the froth of the sea." (Muslim)

snakelegs
11-30-2007, 10:17 PM
thanks umma wasat. i didn't realize it was actually in a hadith! :happy: :statisfie

Pk_#2
11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
thanks umma wasat. i didn't realize it was actually in a hadith! :happy: :statisfie
Pleasure *Smiles*

Actually on a site called kalamllah or something I read that you should say Allahu Akbar 34 times but the other two 33 times, Hold up lemme find it.

It is authentically reported that people said, "O Messenger of Allah! The rich took the reward of akhirah, they do Hajj and we do not; they engage in jihaad, and we do not. So the Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, said, "Shall I not guide you to something that, if you stick to it, you will come with what is better than what one of them will come with: that you say Allahu Akbar 34 times, and Subhan Allah 33 times, and Alhamdulillah 33 times, at the end of every prayer."

Source: http://www.kalamullah.com/worship06.html

snakelegs
11-30-2007, 10:30 PM
thanks!

Ummu Sufyaan
12-01-2007, 12:11 AM
jazakallahu khair, brither ubaydullah

Thought
01-16-2008, 08:36 PM
.up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.