/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Istikarah

azim
09-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Salamu alaykum.

I have a little problem, and insha'Allah I hope the brothers and sisters can help me on the issue, since Allah said in the Qu'ran: -

"And consult them (the believers) in the affair. Then when you have made your decision - put your trust in Allah" 3:159

I recently applied to go on a trip with a Catholic charity to travel to a third world country to help build a school. The trip is for 5 weeks and could be anywhere in Africa or India. I've been assured that no preaching takes place on the trip and I won't have to participate in anything exclusively Catholic/Christian.

Despite this, I began having some doubts regarding the trip and whether it is Islamically lawful and if it was in the best interest of my imaan to go. I was convinced that I should not go but decided to do Istikarah first. After performing Istikarah, it was obvious to me that I SHOULD go on the trip. I'm sure someone who's performed Istikarah knows the feeling I'm talking about, despite the fact it was going against what I intended to do, it was a very obvious feeling.

Yet I'm still feeling doubtful about the trip being the best thing for me. I'll be living for 5 weeks in a village, in the company of non-muslims, with no encouragment from anyone else to keep punctual in prayer and ibadah. I imagine myself being the only muslim among a non-muslim group, made up mainly of females with whom I'll likely be sharing rooms with (think village-hut-made out of wood-rooms). Can this really be the best thing for my deen?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Jazakhallah Khairal.

Walakum Salaam.

PS (post-salaam): If I havent made myself clear, simply ask and I will elaborate on any points.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zuko
09-16-2005, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
I imagine myself being the only muslim among a non-muslim group, made up mainly of females with whom I'll likely be sharing rooms with (think village-hut-made out of wood-rooms).
I don't really know the answer to your question, but this, 'sharing a room with females' is not a good idea, considering the fact that you're a male.... Hope someone can help you out with your problem...

mujahedeen2087
09-16-2005, 10:52 PM
salam alikom

my advice is that you do not go with the christian charity first of all they are not doing it for the sake of Allah and the people that are receving the charity see that they are getting it from christians and not muslims. you should go with a muslim group and give charity. you will be supporting christianity and not islam.

also being the only muslim for 5 weeks is not good, i speak from experiance it is really bad for your imaan. we all need encouragment from time to time, to keep up salat and read quran. my advice is not to go. im not saying charity is bad but you should do it the lawful way with muslim girls like your self.

azim
09-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, but just to clear up mujahedeen2087, I'm male. I agree with everything you guys have said, which is why I initially was going to back out. The problem is that I did Istikarah on several occaisons, and both times I received a very strong feeling that I should go on the trip.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Henry
09-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Ah..no Muslims to encourage you nearby...it can be hard :(

Anyways, I say this is a test from Allah (SWT). I'd imagine you would end up learning much more and being stronger in imaam once you get back and talking to Muslims in your area.

libyanhero
09-17-2005, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Henry
Assalamu Alaikam Waramatuallah Wabarakatu

Ah..no Muslims to encourage you nearby...it can be hard :(

Anyways, I say this is a test from Allah (SWT). I'd imagine you would end up learning much more and being stronger in imaam once you get back and talking to Muslims in your area.
No offense brother but what encouragement, you sound decieving to me this is a serious matter think before you speak

First of all, you been assured that there will be no catholic/christian preaching I don't believe that especially these days this stuff has gone about me but Allah has guided me too see through, its a good thing to do charity but these arnt muslims and are not doing charity but there doing donations and deception. Your gonna be surrounded by women then that would be the major attack you will have against your religion unless you got what Prophet Yousef(as) has. I don't think any of us are up to Prophet Yousef(as) standards. The prophet(SAWS) said that 1 women can take 4 men to hell with her plus these arnt muslims they wont be wearing hijab or protecting their modesty so beware and I don't your Istikhara is right.

azim
09-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Salamu alaykum.

Everyone has made very valid points, although just to explain the situation slightly more; there is one other sister who is going on the trip. She is a convert to Islam. The only reason I can imagine that I should go on this trip is possibly to keep her level of Iman up. This is a very confusing topic which is why I am seeking the advice of the brothers and sisters here.

I will insha'Allah perform my Istikarah again, but it will become the third time I have performed it and the feeling I have got both times is that I should go - even though it is strongly against my original intention. The first time I performed Istikarah I was definately pulling out, and I simply performed it as I usually do, just to ensure my decision is correct. Except this time I got a very strong feeling that I should go on the trip.

What brother Henry said regarding the potential benefits of the trip are the similar to the reasons I have to myself as to why Allah subhana-wa-tala would want to go on the trip, and obviously, Allah subhana-wa-tala is the knower of al'ghaib. I hope that possibly by consulting other muslims some of doubts could be silenced and I could confidently put my faith in Allah.

It is obviously going to be a difficult topic and I thank everyone for their replies and insha'Allah, Allah will reward everyone for their advice.

Jazakhallah Khairal. I look forward to what others have to say.

snowlilies
09-20-2005, 01:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice, but just to clear up mujahedeen2087, I'm male. I agree with everything you guys have said, which is why I initially was going to back out. The problem is that I did Istikarah on several occaisons, and both times I received a very strong feeling that I should go on the trip.[QUOTE]

trust yurself.after did few istiqarah and feel tat u get a "green light" from Him,then tat maybe the best way for u.ask yur instinct instead.but make sure u tell the organizer about do n don't in islam like halal food and pray....who knows if u show a good attitude there will make some ppl interest in islam....

Mrs A
09-20-2005, 02:12 PM
As I am not Muslim I can not advise you but as a Christian, I do not understand why a member said this charity would not been done for Allah as do we not all worship the same god. You must have a strong feeling that this is the correct thing to do because all the replies have been negative and you still have the feeling you should go. I personally feel that this is an opportunity for children of Abraham (PBUH) to work together for god. My husband is muslim and I enjoy discussing the diferences between our religions and feel myself understanding Islam more and more. I feel this would be a good chance for you to share your knowledge with others. As I said I cannnot advise you and hope I have not offended anyone. After all this is only for others opinions - I think you should discuss it with your parents and Imam? Good luck with your decision.

Rabi'ya
09-20-2005, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mrs A
As I am not Muslim I can not advise you but as a Christian, I do not understand why a member said this charity would not been done for Allah as do we not all worship the same god. You must have a strong feeling that this is the correct thing to do because all the replies have been negative and you still have the feeling you should go. I personally feel that this is an opportunity for children of Abraham (PBUH) to work together for god. My husband is muslim and I enjoy discussing the diferences between our religions and feel myself understanding Islam more and more. I feel this would be a good chance for you to share your knowledge with others. As I said I cannnot advise you and hope I have not offended anyone. After all this is only for others opinions - I think you should discuss it with your parents and Imam? Good luck with your decision.
Good reply, Mrs A.......

Although you are helping out with a Christian Charity, you will be held accountable for your actions during your time there.(if indeed you do decide to go)
Azim, bro, I would say go, if your feeling is to go, and istkhara has proved that. You will get the rewards for your part in the charity work. And as Mrs A said They are doing it for Allah although their ideas about worship maybe different this may be a good idea to explain the situation and perform da'wah, inshaAllah

take care....I have so much I wann discuss with you about this but im not sure how to put it all into a post :S

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

basitisnumberone
09-20-2005, 03:11 PM
:sl:
i don't know bro, girls these days are pretty you know, i don't want to say the word, so i advise you not to embark on this trip.
you're gonna be sharing a room with girls, as you say, and that's gonna be a major source of fitnah, serious. have you seen their pajamas these days, astagfirullah. (someone told me of course)

ps. i'm refering to non-muslim girls
:w:

azim
09-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Salamu alaykum.

Thank for the replies, very helpful alhamdulillah. It says I'm a brother on my profile doesnt it?

I mentioned sharing a room with girls as it's a problem in principle. There will be other males in the room, and it will be basically a village hut (if anyones ever seen them), so not much privacy full stop and definately not enough privacy for any 'happenings' to um...happen. lol.

Thank you Mrs. A for your reply. Some very valid points raised. Insha'Allah I will come to the best decision for me, my iman, this life and hereafter. Please make dua for me in this. Jazak'Allah Khairal.

Salaam.

akulion
09-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Salam Alaikum
Do isthikara and then follow your heart - leave the rest up to Allah - remember :
All that has come to pass
All that will come to pass
Is a test - the test of life.

asi17
09-24-2005, 09:48 PM
salaam brother if the feeling u got after doing istikharah was so positive about going u would have no need to ask advice from this forum. i have done istikhara on many an occasion and felt good about the situation until at the last minute things have come in my path to stop me from taking that original decision to my benefit. inshaallah since u have done istikhara and r doing it, the right choice will be made eventually when the time comes dont worry. personally speaking i would not go

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.