/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ties are made of silk

jimbo123
10-21-2007, 03:19 PM
The general consensus regarding the wearing of silk is that you can only wear it if it isn't the dominant material.

I love wearing suits and ties.

Most ties are made of 100% silk. Are there any other alternatives to silk ties? There must be some sort of Islamic shop capitalizing on this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tomtomsmom
10-21-2007, 03:38 PM
I am sure there are. They even make "fake silk" that looks like it but isn't. Bonus to that is they cost a lot less! It might be easier to order them online unless you live in a large city!

jimbo123
10-21-2007, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
I am sure there are. They even make "fake silk" that looks like it but isn't. Bonus to that is they cost a lot less! It might be easier to order them online unless you live in a large city!
Thanks... I live in London and haven't really found any apart from Next which I think does polyester ties.

tomtomsmom
10-21-2007, 03:50 PM
You can try this site

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/ties/

They have al ot of non-silk ties!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
10-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Over the years I have accumulated several ties. After deciding to practice Islam, I decided to not wear any silk ties. I have only one tie that I now wear and it is made from wool. It is in the design of the Scottish tartan for my family name.

MaiCarInMtl
10-22-2007, 11:31 AM
There are many ties available that are not made of silk. Just go to large department stores (they usually have a large selection of ties with various prices, materials and patterns) and take a look at the tag. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

Kittygyal
10-22-2007, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Over the years I have accumulated several ties. After deciding to practice Islam, I decided to not wear any silk ties. I have only one tie that I now wear and it is made from wool. It is in the design of the Scottish tartan for my family name.

:sl:

Oh that looks neat. I have one in Pink : and it's checked :shade:

Ma'assalama

jimbo123
10-22-2007, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc

made of wool eh?

Kittygyal
10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jimbo123
made of wool eh?

There not 'Ties, ties' as you would recon but there wolly ties as what i call 'em

There keep ya warm man.

They look neat aswel.:shade:

IbnAbdulHakim
10-22-2007, 12:14 PM
2 words bro:

"Palestinian scarfs"

:shade:

Abu Musab
10-22-2007, 12:35 PM
The general consensus regarding the wearing of silk is that you can only wear it if it isn't the dominant material.

Most ties are made of 100% silk. Are there any other alternatives to silk ties? There must be some sort of Islamic shop capitalizing on this.
How much makes it dominant? *scratch head*

The hadith says,

AbuUthman an-Nahdi narrated that while we were with Utbah ibn Farqad at Azerbaijan, there came Umar's letter indicating that Allah's Apostle (peace_be_upon_him) had forbidden the use of silk except this much; then he pointed with his index and middle fingers. To our knowledge, by that he meant embroidery.

Bukhari

I haven't heard of this dominant thing before *rubeyes*

jimbo123
10-22-2007, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Musab
How much makes it dominant? *scratch head*

The hadith says,

AbuUthman an-Nahdi narrated that while we were with Utbah ibn Farqad at Azerbaijan, there came Umar's letter indicating that Allah's Apostle (peace_be_upon_him) had forbidden the use of silk except this much; then he pointed with his index and middle fingers. To our knowledge, by that he meant embroidery.

Bukhari

I haven't heard of this dominant thing before *rubeyes*
I guess if it's made of 49% silk and 51% Polyester it's allowed.. The dominant thing I got from Islamonline.net

jimbo123
10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
2 words bro:

"Palestinian scarfs"

:shade:
nah not with a suit

Woodrow
10-22-2007, 12:43 PM

I have never been able to afford a silk tie in my entire life. I've had at least a thousand ties in my lifetime and not one of them was silk. I did all of my shopping at the el cheapo stores. The reason for the large number of ties is that during my working years I used to wear a new tie every day. they were cheap and disposable so it was a lot cheaper to get a new tie every day than to try to get my wife to wash and iron one. I doubt if I ever paid over 2 dollars for a tie.

I haven't worn a suit and tie in over 15 years and don't plan to ever again.

'Abd al-Baari
10-22-2007, 12:43 PM

nah not with a suit
red ones are better but yh not with a suit ;D

NoName55
10-22-2007, 12:55 PM
They even make "fake silk" that looks like it but isn't.
Sad, sad and very bloody sad! ain't it?

I have seen "Muslims" looking for silk substitute also seen some in search of an "halal" alternative to pork sausages.

in past when they had zillions of simultaneous khilafats going on in Spain, they were busy searching for alternatives to gold cutlery and crockery.

and were promptly dispatched by Christians to hell or where ever those end up who think they can trick Allah?

what next? alternative to prostitution? oh wait! some have already found it

may be a way to avoid paying mahr? oh no that's been found too!

pehaps a trick to prevent daughter from inheriting from father's estate? oopse! Pakistanis found out the method since before I can remember

:(

Don't let your desires be higher than what Allah's (SWT) orders and wants for you. Worship and be guided by Allah (SWT) only--not shaytan

Re.TiReD
10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
:salamext:

^^ the Palestinian scarves are good but wouldnt look too professional with a suit. I own one like this....

Sold by Interpal. However, as for silk and non silk ties, I am certain that there isnt a single shop that would sell silk ties only, wherever you walk into will most likely sell a mixture of both so just have a search around Insha'Allah.

tomtomsmom
10-22-2007, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55

I have seen "Muslims" looking for silk substitute also seen some in search of an "halal" alternative to pork sausages.

in past when they had zillions of simultaneous khilafats going on in Spain, they were busy searching for alternatives to gold cutlery and crockery.

and were promptly dispatched by Christians to hell or where ever those end up who think they can trick Allah?

Ummmm sorry to be dense but what is wrong with a substitute to silk or something else?

And btw- turkey sausage is really tasty!!!! And so are chicken and beef hot dogs!

NoName55
10-22-2007, 01:24 PM
we need men in our ranks who are men, not comfort seeking, effeminate little woofters!
And btw- turkey sausage is really tasty!!!! And so are chicken and beef hot dogs!
last year I went to a Pakistani grocers shop and in his freezer I saw sausages labelled as "halal Pork style sausages" made of soya or similar.

Don't let your desires be higher than what Allah's (SWT) orders and wants for you. Worship and be guided by Allah (SWT) only--not shaytan

Abu Musab
10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
I guess if it's made of 49% silk and 51% Polyester it's allowed.. The dominant thing I got from Islamonline.net
oh qaradawi says it's permissable like that *rubeyes*

Kittygyal
10-22-2007, 01:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
:salamext:

^^ the Palestinian scarves are good but wouldnt look too professional with a suit. I own one like this....

Sold by Interpal. However, as for silk and non silk ties, I am certain that there isnt a single shop that would sell silk ties only, wherever you walk into will most likely sell a mixture of both so just have a search around Insha'Allah.

They do look neat, i've got the red with abit white one, But they don't keep ya warm as the wool one.
I must admit they do look neat.... Like SOULJA'S :mmokay:

Ma'assalama

tomtomsmom
10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
we need men in our ranks who are men, not comfort seeking, effeminate little woofters!
last year I went to a Pakistani grocers shop and in his freezer I saw sausages labelled as "halal Pork style sausages" made of soya or similar.
That doesn't answer my question though...........

MaiCarInMtl
10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
If you have a really hard time finding a tie that is acceptable, grab someone you know who has a sewing machine, buy a regular tie, buy some material you like at a material store and have them custom make you some ties (using the store bought tie as a pattern). If anyone important (to me) asked me to do this for them, I would! I love crafty things so anything sewing, knitting, etc is loads of fun for me.

Kittygyal
10-22-2007, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

red ones are better but yh not with a suit ;D

Thats wrong, they still look neat even with a suit :shade:

Makes ya like a >Soulja< init

NoName55
10-22-2007, 02:00 PM
That doesn't answer my question though...........
what was the question?

I have no problems with any halal or kosher meats or meat substitutes in any shape or form as long as no one labels them as pork style/flavor etc. however I draw the line at calling my food "dog" hot or not!

tomtomsmom
10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
what was the question?

I have no problems with any halal or kosher meats or meat substitutes in any shape or form as long as no one labels them as pork style/flavor etc. however I draw the line at calling my food "dog" hot or not!
Ok I am confused what else is new?

It seems like your post was saying that a alternative to pork sausage is bad. But that is what turkey sausage is, and you say that is ok?

Is it the actual label that you disagree with? I have never seen turkey sausage say that it tastes like pork. I actually think it tastes better and it is much more healthy! So take bacon for example. Everyone knows that it is traditionally made of pork. But they also make a very tasty version made out of turkey. Is there anything wrong with the substitution?

Sorry if I sound stupid but I am having a rough morning!

You have never had a hot dog????

NoName55
10-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Ok I am confused
So be it! (I am unable to keep up with you and am bound to slip up and open doors to God knows what)

tomtomsmom
10-22-2007, 02:14 PM
So be it!
Gee thanks. I was asking a real question. So thank you for your real answer.

I will let this thread go back on-topic now!

NoName55
10-22-2007, 02:20 PM
only I can drag a thread from silk ties to "tasty" bacon alternatives!

Woodrow
10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Ummmm sorry to be dense but what is wrong with a substitute to silk or something else?

The problem is not that something halal can be made to be a duplicate of a haram substance the problem comes from the labeling and the intent. It gives the false impression that a Muslim can enjoy all of the advantages/disadvantages/pleasures of something that is haram, while not being haram.

In other words, while the item is halal it is being marketed with the intent that a person can have a loophole for something that is haram.

I have no problem with the soybean meat substitutes and it does not bother me that they can taste like bacon or whatever. but I do have a problem when it is being sold to be a halal form of bacon etc. It does not have to be sold as a substitute, it will still taste good if it is sold as smoke flavored soy strips.

tomtomsmom
10-22-2007, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The problem is not that something halal can be made to be a duplicate of a haram substance the problem comes from the labeling and the intent. It gives the false impression that a Muslim can enjoy all of the advantages/disadvantages/pleasures of something that is haram, while not being haram.

In other words, while the item is halal it is being marketed with the intent that a person can have a loophole for something that is haram.

I have no problem with the soybean meat substitutes and it does not bother me that they can taste like bacon or whatever. but I do have a problem when it is being sold to be a halal form of bacon etc. It does not have to be sold as a substitute, it will still taste good if it is sold as smoke flavored soy strips.

Thank you brother Woodrow for addressing my question, but as I said I would like this thread to go back on topic. If you see fit please delete my question and all answering posts due to it. I don't think the sarcastic tone this thread has turned into is very helpful to the original poster.

NoName55
10-22-2007, 02:42 PM
delete posts for being Sarcastic? or to prevent members reading about the folly of searching for loopholes?

Share'e Rules are made to be obeyed! not to be circumvented by creative "accounting"!!! and they need to know that since their success or failure is linked to the Laws. and spending time on finding escape clauses brings nothing but failure and disgrace upon us!

It will be very saddening for me if someone does delete any post in this thread.

tomtomsmom
10-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Sarcastic?

or is it to prevent members reading about the folly of searching for loopholes?

Share'e Rules are made to be obeyed! not to be circumvented by creative "accounting"!!!
It has nothing to do with loopholes. It DOES have to do with a genuine question getting sarcastic answers from a member of this forum who seems to want to antagonize and upset other members.

Abu Musab
10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Ok I am confused what else is new?

It seems like your post was saying that a alternative to pork sausage is bad. But that is what turkey sausage is, and you say that is ok?

Is it the actual label that you disagree with? I have never seen turkey sausage say that it tastes like pork. I actually think it tastes better and it is much more healthy! So take bacon for example. Everyone knows that it is traditionally made of pork. But they also make a very tasty version made out of turkey. Is there anything wrong with the substitution?

Sorry if I sound stupid but I am having a rough morning!

You have never had a hot dog????
Which muslim wants to have anything to do with pork? *vomit*

Kittygyal
10-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Listen, remember the sister is not a muslim... and as the sister said 'Lets get back on topic' lets do so init? :mmokay:

tomtomsmom
10-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Reverts mostly brother. I grew up eating pork often. Many dishes that I knew how to cook when I met my husband had pork in them. I have altered my recipes to non-pork items that I can still enjoy. I was trying to ask if this was ok. That is all.

Kittygyal
10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Reverts mostly brother. I grew up eating pork often. Many dishes that I knew how to cook when I met my husband had pork in them. I have altered my recipes to non-pork items that I can still enjoy. I was trying to ask if this was ok. That is all.
Hi.

Well im a revert i don't ponder about Pork or anything like that, but but i do have hard time when family member says 'Have some' :cry:

Abu Musab
10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal

Listen, remember the sister is not a muslim... and as the sister said 'Lets get back on topic' lets do so init? :mmokay:
:w:

which muslim wants anything to do with pork, was what i said, christians and them were not muslims the last time i looked *rubeyes*

anyway back to the topic and away from the pork.

jimbo123
10-22-2007, 03:22 PM

But what does it matter though? If something is haram it's haram and if it's not it's not. I've not heard about the prostitution or mahr thing but if something isn't made of silk we should be allowed to wear it. Right?

jimbo123
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Thank you brother Woodrow for addressing my question, but as I said I would like this thread to go back on topic. If you see fit please delete my question and all answering posts due to it. I don't think the sarcastic tone this thread has turned into is very helpful to the original poster.
Don't worry I won't be deleting posts I didn't even know I had the power to do that. I was just interested really in how other people deal with the wearing of ties

tomtomsmom
10-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Don't worry I won't be deleting posts I didn't even know I had the power to do that. I was just interested really in how other people deal with the wearing of ties
LOL bro sorry to tell you but you don't. Bro Woodrow is a supermod on this site. I was telling him to delete if he thought it would help.

I am very sorry to have taken over your thread with such nonsense. My apologies brother.

Peace!
TT

MustafaMc
10-22-2007, 11:22 PM
made of wool eh?
Yes, the neck tie that I wear with my suit is made from wool. I showed the color pattern of the tie which is the Scottish tartan for my family name.

جوري
10-22-2007, 11:37 PM
my experience shopping for ties for my dad or brother.. unless it is made by Herm&#232;s it is going to be a blend...Dept stores and most designers want cheap labor, with cheap material with highest price tag.. would love to personally go to a shop that would sell me all natural material, whether cotton, wool, linen or silk .. truth be told... I struggle so much to find non-flamable, non synthetic material to wear that is flattering and conservative...I'd think it would be more difficult to find a 100&#37; silk tie than a shiny satin or polyester one..
eh maybe things are different in England?

speaking of which.. I have been to many places that hold the 'ugliest tie' day.. I have always found that rather amusing..

here is one to liven this thread.. it was getting too serious

Kittygyal
10-23-2007, 11:30 AM
^ That looks like party hats, apart from it's just shaped in a tie :p

JayKay
09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Jimbo123 - I know that this is a bit of an old thread, but if you are looking for nice non silk ties. Try http://www.adeena.co.ukwww.adeena.co.uk . The site offers a decent range of up to date designs.

JayKay
09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
The link came out a bit funny. The place for non silk ties is: www.adeena.co.uk

chacha_jalebi
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
also you can buy polyester ties :D and they jus look smoooth and sleeeek:D

jimbo123
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
thanks jaykay I appreciate it

healing hands
11-19-2008, 06:05 AM
thanks jaykay I appreciate it
i'd also recommend jaan j. non silk ties and cotton ties www.jaanj.com

they have a lot of nice designs. i just wish their signature collection was cheaper.

north_malaysian
11-19-2008, 07:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I have never been able to afford a silk tie in my entire life. I've had at least a thousand ties in my lifetime and not one of them was silk. I did all of my shopping at the el cheapo stores. The reason for the large number of ties is that during my working years I used to wear a new tie every day. they were cheap and disposable so it was a lot cheaper to get a new tie every day than to try to get my wife to wash and iron one. I doubt if I ever paid over 2 dollars for a tie.

I haven't worn a suit and tie in over 15 years and don't plan to ever again.
I wear tie to work everyday....but none are made from 100% pure silk... mostly from polyester... the most expensive tie I've bought is a RM 40.00 tie.... because I love the colour....and specially bought for lawgraduates dinner...

I really love to wear the Palestinian keffiyeh replacing the ties.... but of course the judges will kick me out from their courts for wearing that:exhausted...

P/S: Woodrow? 2 dollars (RM7.60) for a tie.... that's way cheaper than the cheapest tie in Malaysia, which is RM10.00....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.