/* */

PDA

View Full Version : christmas?

islamic_sister
10-22-2007, 05:36 PM
What are the rules when it comes to christmas? i mean like buying ur kaffur friends and family presents? and also buying christmas candy for yourself?

thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Irfan Nawaz
10-23-2007, 07:19 AM
I would personally not buy or recieve christmas cards. Did you get a Eid card from a Christian?

Kittygyal
10-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Salamualikum.

Sister when it comes down for Christmas i do get Christmas cards from blads/homies. I do take the cards as it would be bad for me to say 'NO'. I give presents to my nephews/neices, I give and get.
As for candies... Oh please im a dya for cadies :X. I do eat candies but thoese which are halal indeed.
Don't buy Christmas candies for my self as most of them are not suitable for muslims (Not Halal.).. I tend to eat the candies on Christmas the 'Loli-pops' or little 'Chop sticks of Sponge Candies' which are yammy yammy.

The main point is, my neicies/nephews..Blads/Homies won't take the present without Card. So i have to get them each and individual a card otherwise im so dead :embarrass.. and they won't talk to me imsad

Ma'assalama

islamic_sister
10-23-2007, 11:21 AM
ummm...ok...so one says yes and one says no....still haavent said if its actualy haram or not?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
10-23-2007, 11:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamic_sister
ummm...ok...so one says yes and one says no....still haavent said if its actualy haram or not?
:sl:

Hard for me agree with some parts. I don't celebrate it though, as the rest of my families are Christains i do not what to do :cry:

Abu Musab
10-23-2007, 02:09 PM
What are the rules when it comes to christmas? i mean like buying ur kaffur friends and family presents? and also buying christmas candy for yourself?

thanks
All about christmas,

http://islamqa.com/index.php?pg=rslt...glist=0&ln=eng

Kittygyal
10-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Salamualikum.

Question:
She says: I want to become Muslim, but my family gather to celebrate Christmas, and I want to go and greet them. This is not with the intention of celebrating or joining in, but simply to make the most of the opportunity of my relatives getting together. Is this allowed?

Answer:

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen,who answered as follows:

No, it is not permitted. If Allaah blesses her with Islam, then the first thing she must do is to distance herself from her former religion and its festivals.

And Allaah knows best.
^ I must keep that in mind indeed, but it's hard for little children like me neices/nephews :cry:

Ya Allaah forgive me and lead me to the right path. Amin

Ma'assalama

Kittygyal
10-23-2007, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Musab

Shukran brother for this, will have to read some of them indeed:thumbs_up

Ma'assalama

Grace Seeker
10-24-2007, 03:49 PM
We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen,who answered as follows:

No, it is not permitted. If Allaah blesses her with Islam, then the first thing she must do is to distance herself from her former religion and its festivals.

And Allaah knows best.
While it may be well-intended, I grieve for people who might loose contact with their family because of an answer like this. Surely if the prophet could maintain relations with his non-Muslim relatives, there is room for both family and faith in Islam.

ummzayd
10-26-2007, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
While it may be well-intended, I grieve for people who might loose contact with their family because of an answer like this. Surely if the prophet could maintain relations with his non-Muslim relatives, there is room for both family and faith in Islam.

ummzayd
10-26-2007, 02:57 PM

Grace Seeker, how nice to see you are still active here! I have been away from the board for a long time due to other commitments taking all my time.

anyway, I think the answer you quoted mentioned only distancing oneself from the former religion, and its festivals, not from family members. It is forbidden in Islam to cut off ties with blood relatives no matter what religion they are (there would be exceptions but only for very serious reasons).

this particular q-a website is not my favourite as it seems very harsh in a lot of its answers. I know of a Muslim who attends 'Christmas dinner' (halal) with their widowed mother who would otherwise be alone, and there are other examples of revert Muslims who have contact with their families at Christmas while not crossing the line of 'celebrating'.

peace

tomtomsmom
10-26-2007, 04:51 PM
At my house we have Christmas. We do the tree and Santa's cookies and go to so many dinners that we just might pop. We don't do the "Christ" part of Christmas. It is a time to give and get and spend time with family. Christmas' of my youth are cherish memories. I want my son to be able to have the same thing. The difference is he will have memories of Christmas and Eid. My husband attends all of these with me. He loves seeing our sons face light up Christmas morning when he comes downstairs and see all of his presents under the tree. He even eats the cookies left out for Santa!

princessz
10-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't plan on exchanging gift with friends. We just play this game at work called 'earthling and angel'.
It's super fun!
Of course I take advantage of the sales they have, loads of discount on shoes and stuff. That's about it for me.

Grace Seeker
10-27-2007, 02:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
At my house we have Christmas. We do the tree and Santa's cookies and go to so many dinners that we just might pop. We don't do the "Christ" part of Christmas. It is a time to give and get and spend time with family. Christmas' of my youth are cherish memories. I want my son to be able to have the same thing. The difference is he will have memories of Christmas and Eid. My husband attends all of these with me. He loves seeing our sons face light up Christmas morning when he comes downstairs and see all of his presents under the tree. He even eats the cookies left out for Santa!

Help me understand this better.

I can understand why a Muslim or a Jew would seek to avoid celebrating Christmas. And I can understand why any sort of non-Christian would participate in the social functions. But, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would adopt the silly Santa and gifts stuff and call that celebrating Christmas if you don't believe in Christ. Just call it what it is, American-materialism-run-amock-Santa-fable-holiday.

tomtomsmom
10-27-2007, 03:26 PM

I can understand why a Muslim or a Jew would seek to avoid celebrating Christmas. And I can understand why any sort of non-Christian would participate in the social functions. But, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would adopt the silly Santa and gifts stuff and call that celebrating Christmas if you don't believe in Christ. Just call it what it is, American-materialism-run-amock-Santa-fable-holiday.
Well Grace Seeker it is kind of complicated but I will try to break it down so it is understandable.

Growing up my father, though not athiest, didn't claim any religion. My mother was baptist growing up but turned away from the church in her youth. So I was never taught religion as a child. Which is party why it is so hard to wrap my head around it now. I know who God was, kinds. I knew that Christmas was supposed to be celebrating Jesus' birthday. But I never really understood.
So growing up Christmas was presents, turkey, and family.

Now I believe in God, though I am still not sure of exactly what he should be called. I believe in Jesus, though I don't understand the whole trinity thing.

My husband is muslim. We are not a Christian household. So doing Christmas the christian way just doesn't work for us. We do what does work, so we can still feel the love and joy of the season. My family is very understanding of this. They have all taken great strides to try and make things easier for us. They know that if they decide to pray, that we will not participate. And they have gotten used to reading labels to make sure there is no pork in the beans!:D

Pk_#2
10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Irfan Nawaz
I would personally not buy or recieve christmas cards. Did you get a Eid card from a Christian?
Yeah i do :oS

glo
10-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Well Grace Seeker it is kind of complicated but I will try to break it down so it is understandable.

Growing up my father, though not athiest, didn't claim any religion. My mother was baptist growing up but turned away from the church in her youth. So I was never taught religion as a child. Which is party why it is so hard to wrap my head around it now. I know who God was, kinds. I knew that Christmas was supposed to be celebrating Jesus' birthday. But I never really understood.
So growing up Christmas was presents, turkey, and family.

Now I believe in God, though I am still not sure of exactly what he should be called. I believe in Jesus, though I don't understand the whole trinity thing.

My husband is muslim. We are not a Christian household. So doing Christmas the christian way just doesn't work for us. We do what does work, so we can still feel the love and joy of the season. My family is very understanding of this. They have all taken great strides to try and make things easier for us. They know that if they decide to pray, that we will not participate. And they have gotten used to reading labels to make sure there is no pork in the beans!:D
That's an interesting post, tomtomsmom.
In some ways my position isn't that dissimilar to yours.

I am the only Christian as my family at home.
We largely celebrate Christmas in the tradition it has become in this country.

As parents (and partly through financial circumstance) both my husband and I are fairly anti-consumeristic in our outlook. We exchange gifts and enjoy good food, but really on a much smaller scale than many people I know.
We don't go in much for the Santa-thing.

Really, Christmas for us is a time to enjoy the good things we have - that includes material wealth as well as family time, each other's company etc.
For me as a Christian, of course, it also includes an awareness that all these things are God's blessings in our lives; and a celebration of his greatest gift of all - the birth and life and death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

As a family we do go to church at Christmas (the only time in the year we go together) and we do put out a nativity scene at home. At the moment those are merely tokens, and remnants of a religious past in an increasingly secular society ...
Every year I pray that the celebration of the birth of Christ will become more meaningful for my husband and children, and I trust that - God willing - one day it will! :sunny:

Peace

islamic
10-30-2007, 10:18 PM

thanks
what you will buy them? cross? common sister, i hope you know what Christmas means.

snakelegs
10-30-2007, 10:23 PM

i have never celebrated christmas, since i am not christian.
but i agree with the above - i could see it as a religious holiday, but this consumerism feeding frenzy is empty and pathetic.

Medina83
11-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Buying presents is not part of the religious side of Christmas if it is done without the Santa Claus part (since that comes from "St.Nick"). When I was a Catholic the priests used to go on about how religion was leaving the whole focus as people got into the traditional consumerist stuff.

So I buy my family gifts as a tradition for this traditional family gathering time.

I will not pray as a catholic, go to church , pray in a room where a nativity scene is sitting (or any other sculpture image/ of a living being - unless I cover them with a cloth or something).

My family and friends wished me happy Eid, I think I would not inshaAllah wish them a happy christmas (because I am in a way condoning Christmas then) , more like say 'have a lovely day'.

Esther462
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I was thinking about this before I told my parents that I've become a Muslim.
I have been reading everyones comments and this on stuck out for me,

At my house we have Christmas. We do the tree and go to so many dinners that we just might pop. We don't do the "Christ" part of Christmas. It is a time to give and get and spend time with family. Christmas' of my youth are cherish memories. I want my son to be able to have the same thing. The difference is he will have memories of Christmas and Eid. My husband attends all of these with me. He loves seeing our sons face light up Christmas morning when he comes downstairs and see all of his presents under the tree.
I am going to have a Christmas tree in my house as it is part of this countrys tradition.
My family are followers of Christaitly. I am going to give and reseave pressons to and from my family. My friends how ever, I will give them a card or gift if they give me one 1st. That is the nicest thing to do.
I am going to tell my family that Christmas is a time to be with them and for me a time to celerbate Jesus (pbuh) the prophets birth. This will keep my whole family happy. My family love me very much and it is one of the only times a year that we are all together.
I am the odd one out in my family being the only Muslim in it but at Christmas we are one family and it will be nice to spend time with them and see them all in a time for giving.

Alexius
11-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Could a Muslim possibly explain the problems of Christmas for this Christian? I know you believe in Isa and virgin birth, so it must be more to do with its established festival or something. Thanks...

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius:confused:

ummzayd
11-08-2007, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alexius
Could a Muslim possibly explain the problems of Christmas for this Christian? I know you believe in Isa and virgin birth, so it must be more to do with its established festival or something. Thanks...

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius:confused:
greetings Alexius

If the date of Prophet Jesus' birth (pbuh) were known, then it would still not be recommended for Muslims to celebrate the occasion as our Prophet Muhammad pbuh informed us that the only 2 festivals we should celebrate are the festival at the end of Ramadan and the festival of sacrifice.

Further, it is well known that the Christians took over pagan festivals and made them into celebrations of Jesus's birth and resurrection - ie Christmas and Easter. the pagan custom of taking evergreen trees indoors and decorating them is condemned in the Old Testament (sorry don't have my bible but will try and get you the verse). This facilitated the spread of Chistianity throughout Europe, as the pagans didn't have to give up their festivals but only added a few elements to Christianize it a bit.

Also for us Muslims who have Christian family, there is a little problem of Christmas being a time of unbridled spending (extravagance and wastefulness are not allowed in Islam) and also alcohol is pretty much a feature of Christmas celebrations.

Oh and finally the matter of Christians worshipping Jesus pbuh as God is a bit of a bar to sharing any festival with them :thumbs_do

peace

peace

tomtomsmom
11-08-2007, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
I was thinking about this before I told my parents that I've become a Muslim.
I have been reading everyones comments and this on stuck out for me,

I am going to have a Christmas tree in my house as it is part of this countrys tradition.
My family are followers of Christaitly. I am going to give and reseave pressons to and from my family. My friends how ever, I will give them a card or gift if they give me one 1st. That is the nicest thing to do.
I am going to tell my family that Christmas is a time to be with them and for me a time to celerbate Jesus (pbuh) the prophets birth. This will keep my whole family happy. My family love me very much and it is one of the only times a year that we are all together.
I am the odd one out in my family being the only Muslim in it but at Christmas we are one family and it will be nice to spend time with them and see them all in a time for giving.

Good to hear sister, glad I could be helpful.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.