/* */

PDA

View Full Version : British people are the fattest in Europe

ahsan28
10-23-2007, 01:46 AM
British people are the fattest in Europe

Published: 23 October 2007
Independent

British people are the fattest in Europe, drink more alcohol, eat less fruit and vegetables and are more likely to die from smoking than the average across the European Union.Despite declining teenage pregnancy rates, the UK still has the highest proportion of births to under-20s compared with other western European countries.

The figures are set out in the Health Profile for England 2007, published by the Department of Health yesterday.

They show that one in four adults is obese and the prevalence of diabetes rose by 50 per cent between 1998 and 2003. Britons drink more alcohol per person than the EU average. Binge drinking is highest in the north-east involving one in four adults.

Liberal Democrat health spokesman Norman Lamb said: "Ten years of Labour government has left us with widening health inequalities and a crisis in public health.

"It is shocking that England is still the fattest nation in Europe.

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article3087274.ece

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ahsan28
10-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Britain is sickest nation in Europe

23/10/2007
Telegraph

Britain has been branded "the sick man of Europe" after a Government report revealed a nation blighted by record levels of obesity, alcohol abuse, diabetes and smoking related deaths.

Findings of the report included:

* Britons drink 11.37 litres of pure alcohol per person compared with an EU average of 10.95 litres.

* The number of women aged 35 to 54 dying of alcohol abuse has almost doubled in the last 15 years.

* There are 288 deaths per 100,000 people from smoking-related causes in the UK, compared with an EU average of 263.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...3/nsick123.xml

Qurratul Ayn
10-23-2007, 02:01 PM
:salamext:

It's true, I saw it on the news, especially Scotland. Well, CBBC Newsround to be precise.

:salamext:

kh@led
10-24-2007, 05:39 AM
hmmm...very sad...erm...well anyway, I've to go now...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
10-28-2007, 03:29 PM
thanks for that !!!!!

Sahabiyaat
11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
then why am i still 7st at 20 lol ...oops too much information :D

aadil77
11-07-2007, 06:05 PM
:sl:

Also, the nhs have to make new ambulances just to carry the fat people, lol

Sahabiyaat
11-07-2007, 06:12 PM
has anyone watched that program where they show EXTREMELY FAT people i mean fat spilling for miles and thay can do nothing except lie on a bed for years and breathe.and they have 3 people to look after them around the clock, and they just go on eating and eating,i swear these people deserve to be beaten the crap into,and the nhs pays ppl to look after these fat .............fatties! lol. im just frustrated that they do this to themselves and then people are paid to keep them alive.

wilberhum
11-07-2007, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
has anyone watched that program where they show EXTREMELY FAT people i mean fat spilling for miles and thay can do nothing except lie on a bed for years and breathe.and they have 3 people to look after them around the clock, and they just go on eating and eating,i swear these people deserve to be beaten the crap into,and the nhs pays ppl to look after these fat .............fatties! lol. im just frustrated that they do this to themselves and then people are paid to keep them alive.
Why do there problems frustrate you?
I'm sure before you made your assessment you went through there medical records so that you could understand there situation.

Or are you just quick to judge?

guyabano
11-10-2007, 09:46 AM

You judge people a little bit too fast, now don't you. Apparently, you never heard something about 'Morbide Obesity' also called 'Adipositas'. Better inform yourself first, before making such silly comment. You would not like it neither if somebody would beat the stupidity out of you, right ?

Muezzin
11-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Methinks we have some overweight people on this forum.

I'm just playing. Chill out dudes and dudettes. Sizeism isn't very nice.

Especially if you have the build of a Twiglet.

See what I did there? I took the mick out of both obese people and supermodels! I'm so equal opportunities. And average build people? Pfeh. No originality whatsoever. Tools.

And now I'll be quiet before somebody complains.

Sahabiyaat
11-11-2007, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
And now I'll be quiet before somebody complains.
yes that would be prefered lol

oh come on,i didnt literaly mean beat them,i couldnt hurt a fly myself,stop taking things so seriously lol i was just trying to be humorous

and guyabano ,i am well aware what you mean when you speak of people with these conditions,im not stupid, and i feel very much sorry for such people.

there are various factors that contribute to morbid obesity,amongst them enviromental, genetic and psycological.

what im getting at is psycological;

A person’s risk of developing morbid obesity is often heavily influenced by psychological factors. Boredom, depression, anxiety, stress, trauma (whether as an adult or child), and feelings of low self-esteem are examples of psychological factors that could result in an individual’s overeating and under-exercising. Although the psychological aspect of morbid obesity can be difficult to overcome, it is NOT impossible.

so the bottom line is if you've gone through trauma,if you were molested as a child,bullied or whatever else,(i know its easy for me to say),but its NOT wise to eat yourself to death or disablement......i know its easier said than done,but im saying it anyway.

guyabano
11-11-2007, 06:11 PM
yes that would be prefered lol

oh come on,i didnt literaly mean beat them,i couldnt hurt a fly myself,stop taking things so seriously lol i was just trying to be humorous

and guyabano ,i am well aware what you mean when you speak of people with these conditions,im not stupid, and i feel very much sorry for such people.

there are various factors that contribute to morbid obesity,amongst them enviromental, genetic and psycological.

what im getting at is psycological;

A person’s risk of developing morbid obesity is often heavily influenced by psychological factors. Boredom, depression, anxiety, stress, trauma (whether as an adult or child), and feelings of low self-esteem are examples of psychological factors that could result in an individual’s overeating and under-exercising. Although the psychological aspect of morbid obesity can be difficult to overcome, it is NOT impossible.

so the bottom line is if you've gone through trauma,if you were molested as a child,bullied or whatever else,(i know its easy for me to say),but its NOT wise to eat yourself to death or disablement......i know its easier said than done,but im saying it anyway.

People show effects of a depression in different ways. Some might try to forget by alcohol, other take drugs, others find a friend in food.... there are plenty of different ways to cope a depression.
But nevertheless, it is tactless to pretend obese people are just fat because they 'eat'
It is the typical image: When an obese person enter a restaurant, people immediately assume, that this person is just fat, because he visit 'all the time' restaurants. And I know, it, because I was obese 15 years ago. After that, I made a bypass surgery on my stomach. Today, I'm back to normal.
If I just ignore now the stats, I would say (blindfolded, just by guessing) , that in USA are the fattest people. But it becomes pervert, when you see a person in a rolling buggy with the oxygen bottle at the back, enter Walmart and buy then 15 packs of potatoe chips.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.