/* */

PDA

View Full Version : This World - India's Missing Girls

NoName55
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
This World - India's Missing Girls
BBC 2 Mon 22 Oct, 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm 30mins

(will post link to youtube video, later)

Documentary looking at the problem of abandoned girls in India.
When a farmer in southern India discovered a two-day-old baby girl buried alive,
it appeared that she was one of the thousands of unwanted girls in a country
where daughters are seen as an expensive burden, needing a large wedding dowry.
Among all classes, girls are often aborted as soon as their gender is determined and,
despite the economic boom, the country is now missing so many young women
that men are struggling to find brides in some states.

Related link >> click here <<

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mizan_aliashraf
10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
That was really sad and it shows a return to the time of the Prophet when fathers would bury their unwanted baby girls alive.

"And when the buried infant asks for what sin was she slain". Surah 82

Attitudes will have to change if this situation is to get any better.

Mysterious Uk
10-23-2007, 02:36 PM
It was rather disturbing watching this program about girls who were abandoned,aborted or murdered because they 'cost too much' and couldn't 'take the family name'. It was really sick seeing a man being so casual about burying, his newborn daughter ALIVE because he already had 7 daughters. People can be so sick and disgusting :cry:

Mysterious Uk
10-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Yeh it is a massive problem, the worst affected states, such as Haryana and Punjab, now have some of the most skewed sex ratios in the world - and the proportion of baby girls is still falling.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
10-23-2007, 02:55 PM
:sl:

Check this thread
http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...ing-girls.html

shible
10-23-2007, 02:57 PM
All those things happen more on the illitrate North Indian Villages were Poverty strikes like anything and as far as South Indian Villages are concerned this is reduced since there are more human welfare and other Associations running that educates the importance of children to the villagers.

shible
10-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Yet there are places unexplored in the whole indian nation .

This was the same nation that worships more WOMEN GODESS than any nation and yet it is the same Nation that kills the same Women's

Kittygyal
10-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Salamualikum.

That sux man!

already thread about this.

Ma'assalama

NoName55
10-23-2007, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible
All those things happen more on the illitrate North Indian Villages were Poverty strikes like anything and as far as South Indian Villages are concerned this is reduced since there are more human welfare and other Associations running that educates the importance of children to the villagers.
^^ if that is true could you read and refute the following 2 articles in their
entirety or partially to show which are inaccurate parts

1) http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/ro...ssing_gir.html

2) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ld/7039681.stm

thanx

shible
10-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I saw that buddy that's why i told there are unexplored places in the whole nation

NoName55
10-23-2007, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible
I saw that buddy that's why i told there are unexplored places in the whole nation
I am slightly bemused and confused now.

So may be if we leave the unexplored and concentrate on 2 videos? would that not be a good idea "buddy"

جوري
10-23-2007, 04:02 PM
:sl:-- this is very sad.. women are half of humanity..

I am a little confused as to why girls pay dowery in India?... shouldn't be the other way around? that is an unusual role reversal... sob7an Allah.. do Indian Muslim women also pay the dowery or do the men as religiously decreed?

:w:

NoName55
10-23-2007, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
:sl:-- this is very sad.. women are half of humanity..

I am a little confused as to why girls pay dowery in India?... shouldn't be the other way around? that is an unusual role reversal... sob7an Allah.. do Indian Muslim women also pay the dowery or do the men as religiously decreed?

wa alaikum salam sister, it is slightly more complicated than that I will expand on this when I can get some help, for now suffice it to say that:

in our part of world there are two things a dowry (from girls family to girl in exchange for giving up all inheritance rights)

and haq mahr from groom to bride (presumably to keep her, in-case of marriage break-up) kinda prenuptial arrangement (she gets cheated out of that).

watching both the videos will be benificial to understand more ( I'll edit this and add to it later)

omar_2133
10-23-2007, 04:48 PM
I hope the Indian Government is more robust in tacking these issues, and enforces the existing legal ban more, but I think overall education is the decisive factor in this.

shible
10-23-2007, 04:55 PM
The main issue in Indian government is the politicians

they make politics on each and every issue. and the religious leaders of many religions also play their part.

U know there was an issue about Ramsethu a bridge.

check this out for more details

The Bridge

Ummu Sufyaan
10-24-2007, 07:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf
That was really sad and it shows a return to the time of the Prophet when fathers would bury their unwanted baby girls alive.

"And when the buried infant asks for what sin was she slain". Surah 82

Attitudes will have to change if this situation is to get any better.
true said. i am interested to know though how do these people expect to have kids, if they bury the daughters alive? ridicilous really.

KAding
10-24-2007, 01:36 PM
The same is happening in China :(.

NoName55
10-24-2007, 01:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
The same is happening in China :(.
surely you mean was, when there was a limit placed on how many children they could have, so parents chose to keep the boy as an insurance (to keep them in old age, since girls go away after marriage)

is there a one child limit in china now?

sevgi
10-24-2007, 03:07 PM

i definetly do not know enough on this troubling topic, yet i have a query/statement to make/offer.

I know that it is in villages and places as such where this issue is dominant. Isnt there some form of heirarchy in those areas? Like a minor government figure...or a provincial leader of some sort...? could they not do something to reverse and redeem the effects and development of this disturbing practice?

i know this sounds very childish...but i believe it is a valid point. Why doesnt the government do anything? It has come to the point where it is being documented on...and yet(to my limited knowledge) little or none is being done. Third world country yes...but, minor civil steps can lead somewhere with time...

someone needs to intervene...it could well be labeled a self inflicted genocide one day when there are no women left for the men to reproduce with and all the pure bred indians are lost...(im being corrupt now).

Allahu alam...

peace be with u all.

Amadeus85
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
surely you mean was, when there was a limit placed on how many children they could have, so parents chose to keep the boy as an insurance (to keep them in old age, since girls go away after marriage)

is there a one child limit in china now?
Yes it is still there.Chinese in cities and towns cam have just one child, people from villages and ethnic minorities can have two. But nowadays the new rich Chinese often have more children and they arent afraid of the fines because they can afford to pay them.

NoName55
10-24-2007, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Yes it is still there.Chinese in cities and towns cam have just one child, people from villages and ethnic minorities can have two. But nowadays the new rich Chinese often have more children and they arent afraid of the fines because they can afford to pay them.
Thank you, I've got to update on my commie customs' knowledge! wa salam (and peace)

Amadeus85
10-24-2007, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
Thank you, I've got to update on my commie customs' knowledge! wa salam (and peace)
Actually there is no good solution for China's demographic problems. If they allowed the citizens to have as many children as they wish, China would be overpopulated with millions of starving people.But on the other hand, nowadays the chinese population is getting older quickly.Soon they will have the same problems as Europeans have.And probably soon China will have about 100 million single young men. As we know from history, large numbers of single young men lead to wars often.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.