/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Iranian women tackle rugby

wilberhum
10-26-2007, 07:04 PM
I thought this was good fun.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...32348A49D3.htm

Rugby and women may not seem an ideal combination in Islamic Iran, but females are enthusiastically taking up the rough sport amid official encouragement for them to participate in physical activities.

Women in Iran proudly see themselves as the most liberated in the Middle East, but are still expected to combine their careers and leisure activities with traditional expectations of childbearing, cooking and cleaning.

All women must cover their heads and bodily contours in Iran, with the rugby field being no exception.

Players wearing the 'maghnaeh', a garment that fully covers the head, shoulders and neck, along with a loose blue waistcoat, a long-sleeved dark T-shirt and loose tracksuit trousers run from rucks to mauls all over the field.

It is not the most appropriate uniform for playing rugby, but the players don't seem to mind, especially when the game allows them to let off steam in a way that is unimaginable elsewhere in their lives.

"I am extraordinarily interested in rugby and it does not matter what I wear. It is not uncomfortable," said 16-year-old Sahar Azizi, a high school student.

Elham Shahsavari, a 24-year-old Iranian woman, believes she has found a sport perfect for her, and is a member of the Tehran women's rugby team.

"In early 2006, Gorgan University advised me to play rugby because of my physical power," said the well-built Shahsavari, who overcame objections from her family who worried about her travelling to training in a Tehran suburb.

"Rugby Union was just my thing."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Sam~
10-26-2007, 07:10 PM
I am suprised you went and posted this message. It come across to my mind many woman may want to become some called ''Rugby head woman'' or so not.

guyabano
10-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Funny ! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.