/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Clothing must not be Tight.

Kittygyal
10-27-2007, 02:06 PM
:sl:

Clothing must not be Tight.

Covering entire body is preferred over covering just lower half.

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 1.357, Narrated Said bin Al Harith

I asked Jabir bin 'Abdullah about praying in a single garment. He said, "I traveled with the Prophet during some of his journeys, and I came to him at night for some purpose and I found him praying. At that time, I was wearing a single garment with which I covered my shoulders and prayed by his side. When he finished the prayer, he asked, 'O Jabir! What has brought you here?' I told him what I wanted. When I finished, he asked, 'O Jabir! What is this garment which I have seen and with which you covered your shoulders?' I replied, 'It is a (tight) garment.' He said, 'If the garment is large enough, wrap it round the body (covering the shoulders) and if it is tight (too short) then use it as an Izar (tie it around your waist only.)' "

Allaah hu alim.

Ma'assalama

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Musab
10-27-2007, 03:05 PM
:wasalamex

Jazakallhu khair for the hadith.

It's a fiqh maslah, only applicable to males btw, you can call it the lesser of two 'evils' (for lack of a better word) because a males awrah is from the navel until the knee (and for the ahnaaf including the knee as well), so his awrah has to be covered, and wearing tight clothes is not permissable for men as it isn't permissable for females, though it should be remembered that the sahabah ridhwanullahi alayhim ajmaeen didn't have wardrobes full of clothes, some didn't have any clothes at all so poor they were, so if a person has clothes and makes salaah without a top on then his salaah will be invalid, it will be like a person who has water to use but makes tayammum without any valid shari' reason (like being sick and the water would make the sickness worse etc)

The hadith shows the emphasis of making salaah that even if you have no clothes you still have to make salaah, and it also shows the importance of not wearing tight clothes.

Anyway i think i should stop there before people fall asleep :confused:

Lina
10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Musab
:wasalamex

Jazakallhu khair for the hadith.

It's a fiqh maslah, only applicable to males btw, you can call it the lesser of two 'evils' (for lack of a better word) because a males awrah is from the navel until the knee (and for the ahnaaf including the knee as well), so his awrah has to be covered, and wearing tight clothes is not permissable for men as it isn't permissable for females, though it should be remembered that the sahabah ridhwanullahi alayhim ajmaeen didn't have wardrobes full of clothes, some didn't have any clothes at all so poor they were, so if a person has clothes and makes salaah without a top on then his salaah will be invalid, it will be like a person who has water to use but makes tayammum without any valid shari' reason (like being sick and the water would make the sickness worse etc)

The hadith shows the emphasis of making salaah that even if you have no clothes you still have to make salaah, and it also shows the importance of not wearing tight clothes.

Anyway i think i should stop there before people fall asleep :confused:

Interesting.

sevgi
10-27-2007, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal

Clothing must not be Tight.

Covering entire body is preferred over covering just lower half.

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 1.357, Narrated Said bin Al Harith

I asked Jabir bin 'Abdullah about praying in a single garment. He said, "I traveled with the Prophet during some of his journeys, and I came to him at night for some purpose and I found him praying. At that time, I was wearing a single garment with which I covered my shoulders and prayed by his side. When he finished the prayer, he asked, 'O Jabir! What has brought you here?' I told him what I wanted. When I finished, he asked, 'O Jabir! What is this garment which I have seen and with which you covered your shoulders?' I replied, 'It is a (tight) garment.' He said, 'If the garment is large enough, wrap it round the body (covering the shoulders) and if it is tight (too short) then use it as an Izar (tie it around your waist only.)' "

Allaah hu alim.

Ma'assalama

jazakallah for sharing sis...mashallah..lots of lovely daleel here...

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hijabi_jilbabi
10-27-2007, 03:52 PM
salaamualaikum!

sister...purdah (covering) is fard on both the men and the women...there are a list of criteria which have to be obeyed in order to obey the rulings of islam...

1. the garment must not be figure hugging
2. must not resemble the dress of the non muslims
3. must not resemble the dress of the opposit sex
4. must not be transparent to any degree
6. must cover the whole body aside from the face and the hands (for a woman)

the thing that is important to take on board is that the first 5 crtieria apply to both the men and the women...the last criteria differs in EXTENT but not CONTENT.. ie...men should still observe purdah but the extent to which they observe it is different to the extent to which the woman has to observe it.

there is an ayah in the Holy Quran..in surah Ahzab (33), verse 59 which clearly states that the woman must 'draw their cloaks close around them when they go abroad' ...

from the various evidences that i have come across i understand that hijab (that is covering as well as appropriate conduct and behaviour ) is fard for the women as well as for the men.

any mistakes i have made in this reply are mine and mine alone. may Allah increase all our knowledge about our Deen and forgive our mistakes inshaAllah.

Souljette
01-08-2008, 04:16 PM
mashallah nice information here which many sisters should read..jazakhullah khair for sharin this:D

islamirama
01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Rasulullah S.A.W. said, "A women who reveals her body or even wears tight fitting clothes won't come within 500 years of the smell of Jannah."

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said that the following type of women constitute one of the categories of the dwellers of Hell: "Those women who seem naked even when dressed and those who walk flirtingly and those who plait their heads like the humps of camels, thus inviting people's attention, will not enter Paradise nor will they smell its fragrance even though its fragrance can be smelt from a very long distance." (Muslim).

More @ http://www.troid.org/articles/sister...conditions.htm

---------------------------------------

"Khimaar comes from the word khamr, the root meaning of which is to cover. For example, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Khammiru aaniyatakum (cover your vessels).” Everything that covers something else is called its khimaar. But in common usage khimaar has come to be used as a name for the garment with which a woman covers her head; in some cases this does not go against the linguistic meaning of khimaar. Some of the fuqahaa’ have defined it as that which covers the head, the temples and the neck. The difference between the hijaab and the khimaar is that the hijaab is something which covers all of a woman’s body, whilst the khimaar in general is something with which a woman covers her head."

Imam Abu Abdullah Qurtubi: "Women in those days used to cover their heads with the khimar, throwing its ends upon their backs. This left the neck and the upper part of the chest bare, along with the ears, in the manner of the Christians. Then Allah commanded them to cover those parts with the khimar."

Imam Abu'l-Fida ibn Kathir: "'Draw their khumur to cover their bosoms' means that they should wear the khimar in such a way that they cover their chests so that they will be different from the women of the jahiliyyah who did not do that but would pass in front of men with their chests uncovered and with their necks, forelocks, hair and earrings uncovered."

---
Food for thought ... are today's sisters Muslimah or from the women of Jahiliyyah in their covering (exposing ears, neck, chest)?

adeeb
01-09-2008, 03:59 AM
good thread...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.