/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Turban I Like..

Kittygyal
10-27-2007, 02:27 PM
:sl:

This is good information which i like, i wouldn't mind wearing a turban :hiding:

Wearing a Turban

The Prophet said: "Pray as you see me pray" . As Bukhari showed in the hadith he cited in the chapter entitled "Wearing turbans," the Prophet wore it and sometimes he wiped on top of it during ablution in order not to have to remove it. [Bukhari, Book of Ablution, hadith of Ja`far ibn `Amr's father.]

He wore it in war and in the khutba, and he would receive it as a gift as established by the following three hadiths:

Jabir said: "The Prophet entered Mecca on the Day of victory wearing a black turban and he loosened its two ends between his shoulders." [Muslim and Abu Dawud. The first part is also in Tirmidhi (hasan), Ibn Majah, and Nasa'i.]

Ja`far ibn `Amr narrates from his father: "I saw the Prophet on the pulpit wearing a black turban with the extremity loosened between his shoulder-blades." [Muslim, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Nasa'i, and Ibn Majah.]

Abu Sa`id al-Khudri reported that when the Prophet got a new piece of garment, he would mention it, whether a turban or a shirt or a cloak, and then would say: "O Allah, all praise and thanks be to You. You have given me this garment. I seek from You its good and the good that is made of it and I seek Your refuge against its evil and the evil that it is made of." {Allahumma, laka al-hamd, anta kasawtanih, as'aluka khayrahu wa khayra ma suni`a lahu, wa a`udhu bika min sharrihi wa sharri ma ma suni`a lah.} [Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi]

Ibn Abi al-Ahwas said: I came in shabby clothes to see the Prophet and he said: "Do you have money?" I said yes. He said: "From where does your money come?" I said: "Allah has given me camels and sheep and horses and slaves." He said: "Then if Allah gave you money and possessions, he likes for you to show it." [Narrated with a sound chain by Abu Dawud in the Book of Garments and al-Nasa'i in the Book of Ornaments. Ahmad narrates something similar in his Musnad.]

Abu al-Darda' said that the Prophet said: "You are coming to your brethren, therefore mend your mounts and mend your garments until you stand out among the people (due to your excellence) like a mole on the face. Verily, Allah does not like obscene speech nor obscene behavior." [Narrated with a sound chain by Abu Dawud in the Book of Garments and Ahmad in his Musnad.]

al-Khatib al-Baghdadi narrates in his Tarikh Baghdad that one time Abu Hanifa asked a man who was shabbily dressed to stay behind after the others had left from his circle of study. Then he told him: "Lift up the prayer-rug and take the money that is there and buy yourself some nice clothes." The man told him he was wealthy and had no need of the money. Abu Hanifa said: "Has it not reached you that the Prophet said: Allah likes to see the mark of His benevolence on His servant?" [al-Khatib, Tarikh Baghdad 13:263]

Bukhari also narrates in the book of Salat that Hasan al-Basri said that in the time of the Prophet, because of scorching heat, "People used to prostrate on their turban-cloth (`imama) and turban-cap (qalansuwa) with their hands in their sleeves," and that Anas Ibn Malik said:

We used to pray with the Prophet and some of us used to place the ends of their clothes at the place of prostration because of scorching heat.
They were wearing head-covers and long sleeves in scorching heat.

The following is a saying of `Umar ibn al-Khattab narrated by Malik in the Book of Friday Prayer in his Muwatta:
"I love to see the reciter of the Qur'an [i.e. the leader of the Friday prayer] wearing white."

The Prophet said on the authority of Ibn `Umar: "Whoso resembles a people in appearance, he is one of them." [Narrated by Abu Dawud (Libas) and Ahmad (2:50, 2:92) with a chain which has some weakness according to Sakhawi in al- Maqasid al-hasana, however he states that its authenticity is verified by other narrations. Also narrated by Ibn Abi Shayba in his Musannaf (5:313), Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Bari 10:274 [Dar al-Fikr ed.], and Ibn Kathir in his Tafsir (8:53). `Iraqi said its chain is sound (sahih). al-Bazzar also relates it through Hudhayfa and Abu Hurayra, Abu Nu`aym through Anas, and al-Quda`i relates it through Tawus, a chain which Ibn Hibban declared sahih. Ibn Taymiyya in his Iqtida' al-siratal- mustaqim (p. 82) calls Abu Dawud's and Ahmad's chain "a good chain."]

Note that shaving the beard is considered effeminacy and is forbidden (haram) and recognized to be haram by the Four Imams.

Ibn Hibban's version of `Umar's saying is mentioned by Ibn Taymiyya who interprets it as an explicit prohibition for Muslims in non-Muslim countries against wearing unislamic clothing:

This is a prohibition on the part of `Umar directed at Muslims against all that belongs to the manner of dress of non-Muslims (mushrikun). [Ibn Taymiyya, Iqtida' as-sirat al-mustaqim (1907 ed.) p. 60]

Imam Nawawi in his Fatawa was asked: "Is there harm for one's religion and his salat if he dresses other than in the fashion of Muslims?" He answered: "It is forbidden to resemble the disbelievers in appearance, whether in clothing or otherwise, because of the sound and well-known hadiths concerning this; and wearing such clothing makes one's prayer incomplete tanqusu bihi al-salat."

Bayhaqi also cited the hadith of al-`Abbas al-Duri from Sa`id ibn `Amir al-Dub`i from Sa`id ibn Abi `Azuba from Ayyub from Nafi` who said:

Ibn `Umar saw me pray in a single garment and he said: "Did I not give you clothes?" I said yes. He continued: "And if I sent you on an errand would you go out like this?" I said no. He said: "Then Allah is worthier of your self-adornment."

It is narrated by Tahawi in Sharh ma`ani al-athar (1:221), Tabarani, Bayhaqi in his Sunan al-kubra (2:236), and Haythami said in Majma` al-zawa'id (2:51): "Its chain is fair (hasan)." Albani included it in al-Silsila al-sahiha (#1369).

Bayhaqi also cited the hadith of Yusuf ibn Ya`qub al-Qadi from Sulayman ibn Harb from Hammad ibn Zayd from Ayyub from Nafi`:

`Umar entered upon me one day as I was praying in a single garment and he said: "Don't you have two garments in your possession?" I said yes. He said: "In your opinion, if I sent you to one of the people of Madina on an errand, would you go in a single garment?" I said no. He said: "Then is Allah worthier of our self-beautification or people?"

Here comes the more nice information... which i like... :offended:

How to tie a turban

1. A ghaffiya or plain cap of heavy cloth can be worn to prevent hair from showing.

2. You start with one end of the turban about six inches below the base of the neck; this is going to be the tail which one sees on some period turbans.

3. From there, the turban passes over the head to just above the forehead and then you start winding it. A single wind is a clockwise circle tilted somewhat from the horizontal.

4. As you wind the turban, the circle grows; the low point moves around the head by about 90 degrees each wind. So if the first time around the low point is under the right ear then the next time it is at the back of the head, then left ear.

5. As you go, you can let the tilt increase, since the bottom of the circle will anchor itself below the bulge of cloth already there.

6. When you are down to a small peice or so, make a horizontal circle around the whole thing and tuck the end in. The result is the horizontal band.

Ma'assalama

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.