/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The world is gettting smaller.....

Karina
10-27-2007, 09:13 PM
.....whether we like it or not...... :-\

I am currently studying Sociology/Criminology/Psychology and "Globalization" is a big interest within these areas.

I am intrigued by the spread of what used to be relatively small businesses, and their effect on society as a whole, I need to know what you all think about companies like McDonalds, Coca-Cola, Procter & Gamble, Texaco, Nestle etc etc, any globalized household names you can think of.

I am not going to preach the negative qualities of these companies but I would sincerely like to know how these have had an impact on the Muslim world, negative, positive, any observations or opinions, please let me know.

Do you enjoy eating a McDonalds without necessarily considering the corporate ethical arguments and debates that it has generated?

Do you realise the third world breast-feeding formula contoversy that errupted not so long ago in respect of Nestle?

Will Coca-Cola own all soft drinks in 2050?

Let me know what you think!!

:)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
10-27-2007, 11:40 PM
I didn't know people still ate at mcdonalds?.. I really hate fast food.. I can't say it has affected me.. and I am not much of a soda fan.. I do get annoyed with stabucks though since I love coffee and they have taken over every corner and I simply never drink their coffee although I have had a few moments of weakness when someone would open the door and I get a whiff of that sweet Java.. but generally I'll shop around until I find a suitable coffee house..

companies that handle toiletries and sundries are welcome.. I love cleaning products of all sorts.. and they are generally helpful if you complain about their products.. one time I complained that the deodorant stick I bought smelled worst than B.O and they gave me tons of replacement and coupons I made a mental note that day to complain more often =).. I really like quality assurance of some of these companies..

well that is my two cents.. hope it was of help?

cheers

snakelegs
10-27-2007, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I didn't know people still ate at mcdonalds?.. I really hate fast food..
a great virtue of mcdonalds and other fast food joints is that they have bathrooms! i never eat in them, but don't know what i would do without their bathrooms. :D
i don't like hamburgers or soda (esp. not cola). i rarely eat out at all, never buy coffee out.
wal-mart is my favourite Hate Object. i live in a fairly small town which gave wal-mart $20 million in corporate welfare to come here and drive out most of the small and medium sized businesses, many of which had been here for years.

Isambard
10-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Im meh with McDonalds and Coca-cola mostly cause I enjoy both their products and theres plenty of alternatives.

Only major franchise that irritates me Chapter-Indigo. They have driven out most of the independant bookstores around where I live and in the city and they refuse to carry certain titles or simply dont stock some books.

So I am constantly annoyed when I go to one of their stoes discover the book I want cant be found yet they have plenty 'Generic quick rich scehems' or 'How to be happy' books which appeal to the barely literate.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
guyabano
10-28-2007, 03:19 PM
when you have kids, you barely can escape McDonalds. This Ronald McDonald Clown get them all, sooner or later. Last time, I made the effort to make homestyle Chicken Nuggets, kind of chicken filet dipped into egg/flower/breadcrumps, but pffff, the reaction of my kids was 'Papa, when do we go back to McDonalds' ?

Plus, noone knows to make better bread then french. I really hate this sweet american sandwish toast bread. There is nothing more then a fresh crusty 'croissant' that you can dip in a big cup of fresh brewed milk coffee ! :D

Sahabiyaat
10-28-2007, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
a great virtue of mcdonalds and other fast food joints is that they have bathrooms! i never eat in them, but don't know what i would do without their bathrooms. :D
:D haha me too
when i used to go college,we had macdonalds literally next door,lol but becuse of being extremley poor at the tym,the only thing we could afford was a mcflurrrryyy,yum.

Karina
11-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all replies, been away for a few days hence the delayed response!

I look forward to investigating these areas in so much more detail, something to really get my teeth into at college.

Thanks again everyone :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.