PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever faced prejudice or discrimination?



Mysterious Uk
10-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi ppl, i was just wondering has anyone faced prejudice or discrimination just because they were a muslim? I'm asking because i have and so have my friends, on a number of occasions. Ranging from being spat on, terrorist comments from strangers to being humiliated by so called friends. It is really upsetting... oh well some people choose to remain ignorant and i pity them.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Noddy
10-27-2007, 09:44 PM
I've seen it at times in London, but you just have to be strong and not let these imature people put you down.

And in Newcastle it must be much worse there. Just take no notice.
Reply

Mysterious Uk
10-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Yeh we should be strong but it is really hard because no matter how many times people say or do really horrible things to you, you can never get used to it. It hurts every time. :(
Reply

Samkurd
10-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah ive been stopped by police for no reason and told to f*** off and that im a piece of sh*t. And no i didnt get their badge number whats the point at the end of the day police always win in the end.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Mysterious Uk
10-27-2007, 10:09 PM
if everyone had that attitude then nothing will be done about cruel people like that. Only yesterday a bus driver was rude and patronising to me and he really upset me, but i complained about him because i don't want other passengers to feel like i did. (dont mean to sound mean btw)
Reply

nebula
10-27-2007, 10:12 PM
salaam

i get racism all the time were i live...
Reply

Woodrow
10-27-2007, 10:20 PM
I have never faced it as a Muslim, however as a child I faced a lot of racial prejudice. although I do not have oriental features most of my family does and during WWII it was not acceptable to be oriental in the USA
Reply

chacha_jalebi
10-27-2007, 10:30 PM
edit:D
Reply

chacha_jalebi
10-27-2007, 10:30 PM
ive never experienced it personally, but heard and seen cases

lik this past week its been islamic relief charity week and we was collectin money at places like uni + tube stations.

and when you go upto ppl sayin bla bla you wana donate, most ppl jus donate, sum ppl ask wot it for, and when u tell ppl ur workin on behalf of islamic relief there face go funy lol, like they wan fart or summin psssh:p

but i do believe its a minority like that
Reply

Mysterious Uk
10-27-2007, 10:35 PM
'like they wan fart or summin psssh' haha
Reply

Intisar
10-27-2007, 10:46 PM
:salamext: Yeah I have tons of times, and the ones who've done it to me usually target me because I am alone and I am a woman. I always defend myself, whether it be psychically or verbally.
Reply

Ourra-Tul-'Ain
10-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
:salamext: Yeah I have tons of times, and the ones who've done it to me usually target me because I am alone and I am a woman. I always defend myself, whether it be psychically or verbally.
lol sister ameena i rate u for that lol good goin sis:D...Alhamdulillah that never really hapenz 2 me, inshAllah Allah swa will keep us all safe:statisfieameen


keep your head up:sunny:
Reply

Samkurd
10-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Where ever you go in the world there will be discrimination. Whether you are muslim, christian, jewish, black, white, arab, indian, chinese, fat, thin, the list goes on..

Just ignore the remarks
Reply

Intisar
10-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ourra-Tul-'Ain
lol sister ameena i rate u for that lol good goin sis:D...Alhamdulillah that never really hapenz 2 me, inshAllah Allah swa will keep us all safe:statisfieameen


keep your head up:sunny:
:sl: ukhti, jazakallahu khair. One of the biggest and best lessons I've ever learned (by myself and about this world) is that no one can protect you but yourself. I come home around 10 pm 2 days out of the week and honestly get scared out of my wits because of the weirdos that I encounter. :cry:
Reply

جوري
10-27-2007, 11:04 PM
'spat on'-- I am no atticus finch to accept a spit, I usually don't reply to dull losers, but I would have pummeled him or her... I must say, the few times I was 'discriminated against' I was rather loud and obnoxious back.. Most people take me for a Jewess, I have no idea why? But I simply don't go to areas where I know I'll meet people who are ill bred or where the demographics won't suit me.

You can always talk back you know, ask.. 'excuse me, is there a good reason for your sunny dispositions or are you just by nature yokelish and underbred?' then smile (with sarcasm, maintain a savage fixed eye gaze)--and then walk away!

I honestly think girls handle themselves better than guys lol.. the many times I almost derailed people of the road... .. but to be quite truthful.. my brother was harassed on the road once and I was with him, he took it rather personally so in the middle of the highway, he parked the car side way to block the other guy from passing, halt traffic, then got out of the car with took the club we lock the steering wheel with



and asked the other guy to get out of the car.. I was never so frightened in my life.. and I can tell the other macho guy almost crapped his pants lol.. my br. of course has a beard and he needed no introduction to the whole 'muslims terrorist' thing.. it was hilarious now in retrospect, that other guy's partner just tried to diffuse the situation.. don't do that though.. really control your anger.. prophet sala Allah 3lyhi waslaam said don't ever be angry! ...There are graceful ways to handle prejudices, I recommend you get the book 'don't sweat the small stuff, and it is all small stuff' from amazon..

:w:
Reply

Samkurd
10-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
'spat on'-- I am no atticus finch to accept a spit, I usually don't reply to dull losers, but I would have pummeled him or her... I must say, the few times I was 'discriminated against' I was rather loud and obnoxious back.. Most people take me for a Jewess, I have no idea why? But I simply don't go to areas where I know I'll meet people who are ill bred or where the demographics won't suit me.

You can always talk back you know, ask.. 'excuse me, is there a good reason for your sunny dispositions or are you just by nature yokelish and underbred?' then smile (with sarcasm, maintain a savage fixed eye gaze)--and then walk away!

I honestly think girls handle themselves better than guys lol.. the many times I almost derailed people of the road... .. but to be quite truthful.. my brother was harassed on the road once and I was with him, he took it rather personally so in the middle of the highway, he parked the car side way to block the other guy from passing, halt traffic, then got out of the car with took the club we lock the steering wheel with



and asked the other guy to get out of the car.. I was never so frightened in my life.. and I can tell the other macho guy almost crapped his pants lol.. my br. of course has a beard and he needed no introduction to the whole 'muslims terrorist' thing.. it was hilarious now in retrospect, that other guy's partner just tried to diffuse the situation.. don't do that though.. really control your anger.. prophet sala Allah 3lyhi waslaam said don't ever be angry! ...There are graceful ways to handle prejudices, I recommend you get the book 'don't sweat the small stuff, and it is all small stuff' from amazon..

:w:
Your bro is a GGGGGGGGGG!!!

hahahaha no its just i hate when people take the mickey. Some people deserve what they get.
Reply

nebula
10-27-2007, 11:19 PM
tell ur bro to come down to my area and help me fight heh im alone here none of my bois live near me
Reply

Isambard
10-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Prejudice for being a muslim? Cant say that I have, but then I have never been a muslim :D I have received prejudice fro muslims thou. Dunno why some ppl associate Atheist with hedonism. Meh ;)

I remember being blamed for stuff stolen in elementary school cause I was the only spanish kid, and whenever I complained I was accused of lying :(

At university, I receive dirty stares for supposily being a 'dirty capitalist pig'. Usually arises when I point out that certain actions suggested from my lefty peers (my school is basically Commie-U) are unfeasible and their critisizims baseless.

I think deep down thou, I subconsciencly remind ppl of the old depictions of Mephisto (German Satan). I mean long Hispanic face, well trimmed beard, short well combed hair, sharp dress style and devilish good looks just triggers somtin in ppls mind. Me=Satan

At least this is what I tell myself

lol
Reply

جوري
10-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Samkurd
Your bro is a GGGGGGGGGG!!!

hahahaha no its just i hate when people take the mickey. Some people deserve what they get.
:sl:
my brother just has(d) road rage.. I pray he tuned it down on the account he has small children.. I was always saying prayers getting into the car with him.. people generally think me crazy on the road but that is because no one ever rode with him..

one time we were stuck in traffic for quite some time and he got annoyed, you know how by the highway there are areas of trees on the side? no one ever goes there unless you have a mal-function and you pull your car to the side, but we are not even talking cemented road anymore, I am talking on the incline, well he backs the car into that area, drove the entire stretch of that highway backward at a crazy speed, then made a turn and got off that high way into the regular roads.. I swear I was so surprised they didn't pull us over somewhere.. I imagine other people just had this look on their face as he was doing it :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Anyhow, we never spoke of those days again..

:w:
Reply

InToTheRain
10-27-2007, 11:32 PM
:sl:

Sorry to hear what your going through ukhti, May Allah Azza Wa Jal bring the ease he promises the patient after their trials.

Originally Posted by nebula
tell ur bro to come down to my area and help me fight heh im alone here none of my bois live near me
Where do you live Akhi?
Reply

جوري
10-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by nebula
tell ur bro to come down to my area and help me fight heh im alone here none of my bois live near me
:sl:
the older you get the more you realize none of it is worth it...
I don't know if you have ever read the story of al Hajaj? he was a tyrant ruler of Iraq?.. well there was just one guy who stood up to him, but not with a good fist, but very sharp wit..
whenever al-hajaj would threaten him with something, the fellow would just have a really witty come back, can't remember it all by heart, but things along the lines of
Al-Hajaj-- I'll drop you to the ground and splatter you
other guy-- then I'll die looking at the heavens
Al-Hajaj- then I'll turn your face to the ground and stab you in the back
other guy- Then I will be embraced by the earth from which I came..

it just went on like that back and forth, Al Hajaj eventually did kill him, but he died shortly thereafter himself.. he couldn't defeat the witty guy..
Wit over violence any day..
Just hold your head up high and know, no one can make harm befall you.. all that will happen to you is but the will of Allah.. and you shoud marvel at the Muslim condition... if Good happens and you are thankful, you are rewarded.. if ill happens and you are patient, you are rewarded.. so how can you be bummed?

:w:
Reply

InToTheRain
10-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
:sl:
my brother just has(d) road rage.. I pray he tuned it down on the account he has small children.. I was always saying prayers getting into the car with him.. people generally think me crazy on the road but that is because no one ever rode with him..

one time we were stuck in traffic for quite some time and he got annoyed, you know how by the highway there are areas of trees on the side? no one ever goes there unless you have a mal-function and you pull your car to the side, but we are not even talking cemented road anymore, I am talking on the incline, well he backs the car into that area, drove the entire stretch of that highway backward at a crazy speed, then made a turn and got off that high way into the regular roads.. I swear I was so surprised they didn't pull us over somewhere.. I imagine other people just had this look on their face as he was doing it :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Anyhow, we never spoke of those days again..

:w:
Mash'Allah, your Brother is cool :shade: of course if he got pulled over it wouldn't be as cool :nervous: :muddlehea :eek:
;D

I remember friends of mine did a similiar thing on the pavement in this place called Southhall during Eid (those that been there in UK will know what I mean :uhwhat) place just get's rammed with mass traffic, and if wer'e lucky we move 10 metres in 1/2 hour...so I can't blame him for doing it.

:w:
Reply

nebula
10-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
:sl:

Sorry to hear what your going through ukhti, May Allah Azza Wa Jal bring the ease he promises the patient after their trials.



Where do you live Akhi?
bro i live in a area called essex in outer london...
Reply

جوري
10-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
Mash'Allah, your Brother is cool :shade: of course if he got pulled over it wouldn't be as cool :nervous: :muddlehea :eek:
;D

I remember friends of mine did a similiar thing on the pavement in this place called Southhall during Eid (those that been there in UK will know what I mean :uhwhat) place just get's rammed with mass traffic, and if wer'e lucky we move 10 metres in 1/2 hour...so I can't blame him for doing it.

:w:
:sl:
I don't think it is cool at all to endanger your life and the passangers with you.. and I pray for his own sake, he has changed his ways a little :D
I don't ride with him anymore.. got my own car...

well actually that is not true.. he is wonderful and he recently drove me from Georgia to NY for 14 hours straight.. without a break.. which was gracious of him (may Allah bless him)..

I am just painfully aware of my mortality now a days, and think people should heed the speed limit and the fact that they have munchkins waiting for them at home...

:w:
Reply

nebula
10-27-2007, 11:48 PM
hey sis purest ambrosia your name reminds me of this delicious yogart my mum used to feed me when i was young lol strange (yes i kno its off topic but ive always wanted to tell you lol)
Reply

جوري
10-27-2007, 11:49 PM
;D;D
thank you..
Reply

Mr. Baldy
10-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
Hi ppl, i was just wondering has anyone faced prejudice or discrimination just because they were a muslim? I'm asking because i have and so have my friends, on a number of occasions. Ranging from being spat on, terrorist comments from strangers to being humiliated by so called friends. It is really upsetting... oh well some people choose to remain ignorant and i pity them.
you must be kidding boy, this is like an everyday occurrence. i cant even count the times popo has stopped me searched and cuffed me. just this wednesday a police stopped me at kings cross and searched me and interrogated me for an hour. and this time me and my friend are walking along and this unmarked police car is tailing us and they get us, cuff us and interrogate us. its like cuffs are a permanent bracelet for me. and actually on wednesday i witnessed about 5 police strip search some brother in the middle of a tube station.

for real the popo hate us.
Reply

InToTheRain
10-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by nebula
bro i live in a area called essex in outer london...
What's the demography like their? is their a mosque near by?

It's wierd that coz I always thought going out of London would be better, I just wanna get away from the fitnah around me. Was thinking about going to places like erm Scotland or something lol.
Reply

InToTheRain
10-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by nebula
hey sis purest ambrosia your name reminds me of this delicious yogart my mum used to feed me when i was young lol strange (yes i kno its off topic but ive always wanted to tell you lol)
LOL YEAH THATS WHERE I HEARD IT LOoooooooL

It's a CUSTARD!

http://www.english-shop.de/images/am...ardcan425g.jpg

:w:
Reply

nebula
10-28-2007, 12:01 AM
no therse no mosques in this area

i dunno wat demgraphy means but im guessing it means what type of people live around me?

well there all whites around me and im a brown kid :D people look at me like im a alien or something heh

i think its not just racism but its gone worse because of the sucide bombings people hate you coz ur brown like the bombers... thats what i reckon

theres alot of fitnah over here aswell..
fitnah means like bad images stuff like that right? half naked people?
Reply

snakelegs
10-28-2007, 12:06 AM
nobody, but nobody has fond memories of snakelegs! :cry:
seriously, i have never been a victim of prejudice except for the normal amount of sexual harassment that almost every working woman encountered back in the day. (i hope it's better now!) but i did see a KKK burning cross once. actually, i can still see it as though it was yesterday. it was in the playground of a school i went to which was largely jewish - we were all scared.
Reply

InToTheRain
10-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by nebula
no therse no mosques in this area

i dunno wat demgraphy means but im guessing it means what type of people live around me?

well there all whites around me and im a brown kid :D people look at me like im a alien or something heh

i think its not just racism but its gone worse because of the sucide bombings people hate you coz ur brown like the bombers... thats what i reckon

theres alot of fitnah over here aswell..
fitnah means like bad images stuff like that right? half naked people?
Half naked people is just one of its form yes.
Fitnah means trials and tribulations. It's best to try and find a place where there is less and May Allah Azza Wa Jal give us the Tawfiq to do so.

:w:
Reply

Mysterious Uk
10-28-2007, 10:50 AM
31 replies in a day... i never realised what a major issue this is.
Reply

Isambard
10-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
31 replies in a day... i never realised what a major issue this is.
Well most of us live in culturally diverse areas so itrs garentee someone out there wont like us :D lol
Reply

Camomilla
10-31-2007, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by nebula
well there all whites around me and im a brown kid :D people look at me like im a alien or something heh
same in here, I know what your talking about, I get thous looks all the time...:uhwhat
they look at my clothes :hmm::(
I hate It when they do that.
Reply

Camomilla
10-31-2007, 07:04 AM
I've experienced racism since I was a kid and I still do.
Ok this is embarrassing, but...I used to fight alot when I was a kid, i used to fight with boys and girls, muslims and especially non-muslims....:embarrass
I mean like kicking and punching....
Reply

Mysterious Uk
10-31-2007, 03:23 PM
speaking of racism i just came accross an article in the papers today which said 'police DO stop more black people' (duh). Black people are seven times more likely to be stopped and searched by police than whites.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 05:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 11:37 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 10:15 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 02:36 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!