/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Islam

Samkurd
10-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey people,

I always wanted to know:

Why do muslim men wear those cap things on their head? Are we supposed to ?

Im really nervous about going to my mosque because i dont know what time to go, how i pray with other people and stuff, where i go for wudu.. I know how to pray just not at a mosque..

Hopefully some of you can answer my questions, thanks!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MustafaMc
10-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Though not stated, I understand you to be a recent revert. If so, congratulations and welcome!:sunny:

format_quote Originally Posted by Samkurd
Why do muslim men wear those cap things on their head? Are we supposed to ?
Some brothers wear a kufi, particularly for prayer. According to Alim software "Men and boys are always to be covered from the navel to the knee. Also, some Muslim students wear a small head covering, called a kufi." I personally don't wear a kufi, but some Muslims that I know do wear one. I understand that the Prophet (saaws) wore a turban which is a cloth wrapping several times around the head. According to muttaqun.com "Wearing the izar (loin-wrap), thawb (long cloth), `imama (turban), jubba (coat or mantle), sirwal (baggy pants), etc. is of the Prophet's (SAAWS) Sunnah of dress. There is no such thing as an unimportant or unnecessary Sunnah."
Im really nervous about going to my mosque because i dont know what time to go, how i pray with other people and stuff, where i go for wudu.. I know how to pray just not at a mosque..
I use islamicfinder.com to find masjids in the cities that I visit. I believe that the best time to go to a masjid for the first time is at Jummu'ah on Friday at the time of Zhuhr. I would make wudhu before going to the masjid. In the masjid the adhan is called to announce the time for prayer and the kutbah (Friday sermon) is presented. After the kutbah, the iqamah is said to indicate the prayer is about to start. There is no kutbah for regular congregational prayers. In congregational prayer an imam stands in front center and people line up in rows behind him. The people make straight rows with their their heels lined up and stand with feet about shoulder width apart and touching the ones on either side. (Some people are shy to touch at the feet.) It is better to be on the right side and on the front row if it can be done without displacing anyone or rushing to get there first. In congregational prayer, one always follows the imam in his actions which are prefaced with "Allahu Akbar". One recites the Al-Fatiha silently to himself following along with the iman and says "Ameen" at the end of the audible Al-Fatiha. He only listens to the second surah recited by the imam. The Jummu'ah prayer is 2 rakat instead of the usual 4 and it is recited aloud by the imam instead of the usual silent for zhuhr.

Jummu'ah (Friday) prayer is compulsory for all men. Daily prayer in congregation by men has 27X the reward of prayer alone. Women are permitted to attend congregational prayers, but they usually pray at home.

Others more knowledgeable are welcome to correct my unintentional mistakes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.