/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yaa 'Aabidal Haramayn

IbnAbdulHakim
10-28-2007, 05:58 PM
‘Abdullah ibn alMubarak (d.181AH)’s Letter to Fudayl ibn ‘Iyaad (d.187AH)

Media Tags are no longer supported

يا عابد الحرمين

يا عابدَ الحرمين لو أبصرتْـَنا … لعلمتَ أنَّكَ في العبادةِ تلعبُ
مَنْ كانَ يخضبُ خدَّه بدموعِه … فنحورنُـا بدمـائِنا تَتَخْضَبُ

أوكان يتعبُ خيله في بـاطل … فخيـولنا يوم الصبيحة تتعبُ

ريحُ العبيرٍ لكم ونحنُ عبيرُنا … رَهَجُ السنابكِ والغبارُ الأطيبُ

ولقد أتـانا مـن مقالِ نبيِنا … قولٌ صحيحٌ صادقٌ لا يَكذبُ

لا يستوي غبـارُ أهلِ الله في … أنفِ أمرئٍ ودخانُ نارٍ تَلهبُ

هذا كتابُ الله ينـطقُ بيننا … ليسَ الشهيدُ بميـتٍ لا يكذبُ

This is an amazing poem written by the Imam, Zaahid, and Mujahid ‘Abdullah ibn alMubarak (d. 181 AH) to another great Imam and Zaahid Fudayl ibn ‘Iyaad (d. 187 AH). Both from amongst the Imams of the salaf.

The audio above starts off by quoting the narration of this poem/letter found in the Tafseer of alHafidh Ibn Katheer (d. 774 AH) which is quoted below:

Al-Hafiz ibn `Asakir mentioned in the biography of `Abdullah bin al-Mubarak, that Muhammad bin Ibrahim bin Abi Sakinah said,

“While in the area of Tarsus, `Abdullah bin al-Mubarak dictated this poem to me when I was greeting him goodbye. He sent the poem with me to al-FuDayl bin`Iyad in the year 170,

‘O ye who worships in the vicinity of the Two Holy Masjids!

If you but see us, you will realise that you are only jesting in worship.

He who brings wetness to his cheek with his tears should know that our necks are being wet by our blood.

He who tires his horses without purpose, now that our horses are getting tired in battle.

Scent of perfume is yours, while ours is the glimmer of spears and the stench of dust [in battle].

We were narrated about in the speech of our Prophet, an authentic statement that never lies.

That the dust that erupts by Allah’s horses and which fills the nostrils of a man shall never be combined with the smoke of a raging Fire.

This, the Book of Allah speaks among us that the martyr is not dead, and the truth in Allah’s book cannot be denied.’

“I met al-Fudayl ibn `Iyad in the Sacred Masjid and gave him the leter. When he read it, his eyes became tearful and he said, ‘Abu `Abdur-Rahman (`Abdullah bin al-Mubarak) has said the truth and offered sincere advice to me.’ He then asked me, ‘Do you write the Hadeeth?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘Write this Hadeeth as reward for delivering the letter of Abu `Abdur-Rahman to me.’ He then dictated,

‘Mansur bin al-Mu`tamir narrated to us that Abu Saalih narrated from Abu Hurayrah that a man asked, ‘O Messenger of Allah! Teach me a good deed that will earn me the reward of the Mujahideen in Allah’s cause.’

The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said, ‘Are you able to pray continuously and fast without breaking the fast?’ The man said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! I cannot bear it.’

The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said,

‘By He in Whose Hand is my soul! Even if you were able to do it, you would not achieve the grade of the Mujahideen in Allah’s cause. Did you not know that the horse of the Mujaahid earns rewards for him as long as it lives?’”

[Ahmad]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
10-28-2007, 06:08 PM
^ lol Alhamdulillah none of them has that poem though, that poem brings tears bhai... subhanAllah

Re.TiReD
10-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Ya Allah! :cry: that was amazing!

Ibn Al Aqwa
10-31-2007, 10:08 AM
SubhanAllah...read and heard it before...but TAKBEER....Allahu Akbaaar....

May Allah bring the like of Abdullah bin Mubaarak to this world again...Ameen

SubhanAllah :cry:

May Allah cause this to benefit those who take Jihad lightly...

Jihad...the peak of Ibaadah....Nothing can compare to its ajar

Jazakallah for posting

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
^ INNIT BRO! so many people have tried to dispel that idea from my mind, but LAA! Allahs keeping it strong Alhamdulillah !

Ibn Al Aqwa
10-31-2007, 10:48 AM
^Masha'Allah carry on striving fisabeelillah bro...:D

Alhamdulillah

Ummu Sufyaan
10-31-2007, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ INNIT BRO! so many people have tried to dispel that idea from my mind, but LAA! Allahs keeping it strong Alhamdulillah !
:sl:
jazakallahu khair for the post.
its good that someone can even admit that. ^ not many people can without being paranoid that national security will rock up at the door.

Re.TiReD
10-31-2007, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Ibn Adam-

Jazakallah for posting
Ameeeen! Thumma Ameeen! great post there *thumbsup*

MinAhlilHadeeth
10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Ibn Adam-

Jazakallah for posting
:wasalamex

I don't know what you mean akhee, but the most beloved deeds to Allah are as the Messenger sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam stated:

It is narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah b. Mas'ud that he observed. I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) which deed was the best. He (the Holy Prophet) replied: 'Prayer at its appointed hour.' I (again) said: Then what? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: 'Kindness to the parents.' I (again) said: Then what? He replied: 'Earnest endeavour (Jihad) in the cause of Allah.' And I would have not ceased asking more questions but out of regard (for his feelings).

Saheeh Muslim, Book 001, Number 0151

It was heard from Abu 'Amr Shaibani that, pointing towards the house of Abdullah, he said: The owner of this house told me that he asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him): Which of the deeds are liked by Allah? He (the Holy Prophet) observed: 'Prayer at its proper time.' I (again) said: What next? He replied: 'Then goodness to the parents.' I (again) said: What then? He replied: 'Then Jihad in the cause of Allah.' He ('Abdullah) said: This is what I was told (by the Holy Prophet). Had I questioned further, he would have made additions for me.

Saheeh Muslim, Book 001, Number 0153

It is reported on the authority of 'Abdullah that the Apostle of Allah observed: The best of' the deeds or deed is the (observance of) prayer at its proper time and kindness to the parents.

Saheeh Muslim, Book 001, Number 0155

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah was asked about the best of deeds. He observed: 'Belief in Allah.' He (the inquirer) said: What next? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: 'Jihad (struggle to the utmost) in the cause of Allah.' He (the inquirer) again said: What next? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: 'Pilgrimage accepted into the grace of the Lord.' In the. tradition narrated on the authority of Muhammad b. Ja'far (the words are) that he (the Holy Prophet) said: 'Belief in Allah and His Messenger.' Muhammad b. Rafi and 'Abd b. Humaid, 'Abdur-Razzaq and Ma'mar and Zuhri have narrated a hadith like this on the authority of the same chain of transmitters.

Saheeh Muslim, Book 001, Number 0148

Notice he said as-salaatu 3ala waqtiha, and then birrul-waalidayn, and then jihaad fee sabeelillah. And in the last narration, he placed belief in Allah first. Not that I am belittling jihaad. Laa, abadan. It's just that we should not have ghuloo in any matter.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-31-2007, 04:32 PM
^ wow jizakAllahu khairan sister!

i always assumed jihaad to be greatest due to this hadith:

Sahih Muslim

Book 020, Number 4636:
It has been narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira who said: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) was asked: What deed could be an equivalent of Jihad in the way of Allah, the Almighty and Exalted? He answered: You do not have the strength to do that deed. The narrator said: They repeated the question twice or thrice. Every time he answered: You do not have the strength to do it. When the question was asked for the third time, he said: One who goes out for Jibad is like a person who keeps fasts, stands in prayer (constantly), (obeying) Allah's (behests contained in) the verses (of the Qur'an), and does not exhibit any lassitude in fasting and prayer until the Mujihid returns from Jihad in the way of Allah, the Exalted.
but now i think this comes AFTER birrul walidayn and salaaut upon its proper times... so imagine how much reward those two actions must give, subhanAllah

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
:salamext:

Yeah subhanAllah. Sometimes the Prophet sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam placed a lot of emphasis on a deed to show its excellence, but in the ahadeeth that I showed there is a clear order of excellence. The last hadeeth in particular. Tawheed and belief in Allah is the greatest of 'ibaadah since it is the reason we were created,

“I have only created Jinns and Men that they may serve Me.”
[Adh-Dhariyat 51:56]

and the reason why the books were revealed,

“Alif, Laam, Raa. (This is) a Book, with verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning), further explained in detail - from One Who is Wise and Well-acquainted (with all things): (It teaches) that ye should worship none but Allah.”
[Hud 11:1-2]

and the reason why the Messengers were sent.

“We have not sent any Messenger before you, except that we have inspired him with ‘Laa ilaaha illallaah, so worship Me (alone)’."
[Al-Anbiyaa 21:25]

Indeed, it was because of Tawheed that Jihad was established!

“I have been ordered (by Allah) to fight against the people until they testify that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah and that Muhammad is Allah’s Apostle, and offer their prayers perfectly and give the obligatory charity. So if they perform that, then they save their lives and property from me…”
[Bukhari, Volume1, Book 2, No.24]

So Jihad is a means, and not an end. If you're confused as to why I am stating that Tawheed is 'ibaadah, then the best definition of 'ibaadah is as Ibn Taymiyyah stated:

"Worship (al-’Ibaadah) is obedience to Allaah by following that which He ordered upon the tongues of His Messengers." He also said, "Worship (al-’Ibaadah) is a comprehensive term covering everything that Allaah loves and is pleased with - whether saying, or actions, outward and inward." - Majmoo’ul-Fataawaa (10/149) of Ibn Taymiyyah.

And truly Allah knows best!

IbnAbdulHakim
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
wa alaikum ussalaam wa rahmatullah

may Allah give us all tawfeeq to remain true muwahhids,

a lot of people use the story of uways al qarnee radhiallahu anhu to negate the imprtance of qitaal fisabeelillah, but if you analyse - didnt umar radhiallahu anhu meet him in an expedition for qitaal after the passing away of the messenger sallallahi alaihi wasallaam....?!

Ibn Al Aqwa
11-01-2007, 08:59 PM
^some good stuff being posted...Jazakallah...

yeh...well its a strange thing innit...in the hadith...

4.44: Narrated Abu Huraira: A man came to Allah's Apostle and said, "Instruct me as to such a deed as equals Jihad (in reward)." He replied, "I do not find such a deed." Then he added, "Can you, while the Muslim fighter is in the battle-field, enter your mosque to perform prayers without cease and fast and never break your fast?" The man said, "But who can do that?" Abu- Huraira added, "The Mujahid (i.e. Muslim fighter) is rewarded even for the footsteps of his horse while it wanders bout (for grazing) tied in a long rope.
[[Bukhari]]

And when Iman Ahmad Bin Hanbal (ra) was asked...

"If we are in the land of Jihad, and it is time for Salah, what should we do. Should we delay Jihad and perform the Salah, or should we delay Salah and perform Jihad"

He replied..."Jihad should be done first, the salah should be done delayed"

and note this...in the time of Ahmad bin Hanbal, Jihad was Fird Qifaayah...never mind fard Ayn...so what do you think if it is in our time...where Jihad is Fard Ayn?

Re.TiReD
11-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Masha'Allah jazakAllah khayr sis muwahhidah! and one more thing, I always thought Jihadu nafs was the greater Jihad, but some people say that hadeeth is weak, is that right?

IbnAbdulHakim
11-01-2007, 11:11 PM
subhanAllah, bro Umar i think theres ikhtilaaf on qitaal bein fard ayn wa allahu a'lam

i tried call you, went to 02 voicemail lol

Ummu Sufyaan
11-02-2007, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
Masha'Allah jazakAllah khayr sis muwahhidah! and one more thing, I always thought Jihadu nafs was the greater Jihad, but some people say that hadeeth is weak, is that right?
check this thread out, inshallah.:sunny:

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Wa iyakkum. Yes, Ibn Taymiyyah established the weakness of that report in his book 'Al Furqan bayna awliya ar-Rahmaan wa awliya ash-Shaytaan'.

:wasalamex

Re.TiReD
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
:salamext: Barakallahu Feeki.

Jazakillahu Khayran sis maryam11 :w:

Ibn Al Aqwa
11-02-2007, 08:58 PM
^for definitely...the greatest Jihad is Qitaal...(fighting)...

that you can say with no doubt...

-xRafeenax-
11-02-2007, 09:02 PM
jazakallah for sharing
sabhanallah

Ummu Sufyaan
11-04-2007, 07:26 AM
:salamext: Barakallahu Feeki.

Jazakillahu Khayran sis maryam11 :w:
no probs. 3ala ra2s wal 3yan, as some of the arabs say. its tranlsted along the lines of with my head and eye. :D:which means my pleasure/honor.okay:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.