/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fatwa in Turkey allows for 3 daily prayers

NYCmuslim
10-31-2007, 01:27 AM
source: http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English...1.0.1409142549

Turkey: Fatwa allows Muslims to pray just three times a day

Ankara, 10 Oct. (AKI) - Turkish Muslims will be allowed to pray only three times a day from Wednesday instead of the usual five - without fear of committing a sin.

A member of the scientific council of Istanbul University, Muhammad Nour Dughan, has issued a controversial fatwa or religious edict cutting Islamic prayer requirements from five to three times a day.

The move has provoked widespread debate as well as opposition from orthodox imams or Muslim clerics.

Sharia law allows for the possibility of praying three times a day in case of sickness or travel.

The fatwa extends this option allowing Muslims to pray three times a day, especially when they are heavily committed with work or personal issues.

The Turkish debate echoes a similar one that has already taken place in Egypt where the fatwa has also drawn support.

Jamal al-Banna, brother of the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood, Hasan al-Banna, endorsed the Turkish move.

"Merging prayers has become a modern necessity," he told the al-Arabiya website. "In most cases, people do not always perform the five prayers on time due to the pressures of modern life."

Al-Banna is often criticised for his modern interpretation of Islamic rules. He said the Prophet Mohammad himself had given followers this option that could be applied when prayers cannot be carried out in a given time.

A member of Egypt's Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, Sheikh Youssef al-Badri, rejected the argument saying it was unacceptable to merge prayers unless it was due to travel, illness, rain or pilgrimage.
Interesting indeed. Comments?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sudais1
10-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Very Very Sad. The prophet said there would come a time when all the strings of Islam would be pulled it started with our Khilafah and the prophet said prayer would be the last. Allah kepp us straight

yigiter187
11-01-2007, 04:39 PM
ı live in turkey..this news totally lies...no one prays three times...everyone prays for five times a day as our religion wants us..

The_Prince
11-01-2007, 05:48 PM
just because one imam makes a fatwa does not mean following it is correct, not at all, especially when the evidence and the majority of scholars contradict his own stance, so no the article is wrong in itself by making it seem a fatwa by one scholar is binding on all Muslims.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sevgi
11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
whoooaaa!!!

i almost had a heart attack when i saw this thread!!!!

this aint true.i know my people.whoa!

maybe one guy got up and said something like this...man...

bin laden got up and did what he did...does he represent the arab world of muslims?

why shud this guy represent turks or islamic practice in turkey.

as if his fatwa is credible.whos gna believe that...cmon.turks? pish posh!

Malaikah
11-02-2007, 12:05 PM
:sl:

I don't see anyone saying Turks are going to follow this. Relax! :)

Alhamdulilah most Muslims would never believe this.

sevgi
11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I don't see anyone saying Turks are going to follow this. Relax! :)

Alhamdulilah most Muslims would never believe this.
they aint sayn it...but some ppl mite be thinkn it...and i surely dnt want non-muslims thinking there is a division here also..

im just saying and taking precautions:)

NoName55
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Ismaili Shiite have been doing it (3 prayers thing) ever since I can remember

sevgi
11-02-2007, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
theyve been doing a lot of things which are 'diffrent' since i can remember...

Talha777
11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
This is a sad time the ummah is going through, the Holy Quran says:

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds
(Al Anam 6.162)

These so called "muftis" should at least know the fundamental principles of the Holy Quran before making such batil judgments and terming them as "fatawa".

It is true that the pressures of modern life make the observance of salat more difficult. The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa salam) said the prayer in the latter days would gain more rewards.

What these people actually mean by the pressures of modern life is that the more you pray and the more time you devote in worship the less money you will earn. Our Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa salam) said that wealth and money is the greatest trial for this ummah. Should we love money more or should we love Allah more? If you love money more, you will be inclined to accept this so called fatwa, but if you love Allah more you will be disgusted with it.

If modern life means we cannot worship Allah as we should, than it would be better to return to a pastoral lifestyle.

H4RUN
11-04-2007, 11:30 PM

This 3 times business if i remember correctly is carried out by some shia's, so i reckon, well i do reckon, i know i reckoned cos i jus did the reckoning that the imam may well have been a shi'ite...What ya reckon!?

:w:

chacha_jalebi
11-05-2007, 12:36 AM
ridiculous:D

it really annoys me when islam is associated with a lifestyle or culture

may Allah swt guide these people

Al-Zaara
11-05-2007, 08:45 AM
LOL Total rubbish. And it's even more rubbish if people because of this ridicilous "news" will go all "oh they are so misguided". Gee. Saudi Arabia has got lots of problems, Iran, Irak, Egypt... Every Muslim country has. I don't see many saying "oh they are so misguided". Why? Because they understand, it could be one in a thousand. Or hundred. Well, rare cases.

I've heard weird "fatwas" before, and they weren't from Turkiye.. :giggling:

Rainbow44
11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
they pray five times a day.. if you do not believe, go and visit mosques in Iran.. and they do not miss the friday prayer.. it is not like what media or some so-called scholars tell us..

some say that prayers can be combined.. Maghrib and Isha prayers for example.. but if you really have a good reason..

anyways, i as a Turkish Muslim haven't even heard about this guy who gives this fatwah..

NoName55
11-05-2007, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rainbow44
they pray five times a day.. if you do not believe, go and visit mosques in Iran.. and they do not miss the friday prayer.. it is not like what media or some so-called scholars tell us..

some say that prayers can be combined.. Maghrib and Isha prayers for example.. but if you really have a good reason..

anyways, i as a Turkish Muslim haven't even heard about this guy who gives this fatwah..
^^you could have been believed by me except for the fact that I have known many a Ismaili in my lifetime!

could you be confusing twelver shiites with Ismailis?

I would never set foot in Iran unless I was ........

Amadeus85
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
^^you could have been believed by me except for the fact that I have known many a Ismaili in my lifetime!

could you be confusing twelver shiites with Ismailis?

I would never set foot in Iran unless I was leading an invading Muslim army for which I'm far too late!
I dont know why but i find iranian shiism quite interesting.Probably it's because i have read a book "Shahinshach" about the riegns of Reza pahlavi in Iran and shiism (dont know if i spell it right) played very important role in getting rid of the cruel Shach.

Rainbow44
11-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Brother Aaron85. Can you tell a little more about that book please? Who's written and in which language?
thanks..

adeeb
11-11-2007, 03:25 AM
this fatwa is absolutely wrong, may Allah guide us too keep the quran and sunnah in our heart, so the kuffar or hypocrite can not misguide us, ameen!

barney
11-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Just makes no sense.
The obligation for prayer has been 5 a day since the Prophets nights journey,and more importantly, was a command from God.

How can a fatwa be made on the pretext of "fitting in with Modern life"? i dont see how they can get away with it.

sevgi
11-11-2007, 06:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney

How can a fatwa be made on the pretext of "fitting in with Modern life"? i dont see how they can get away with it.
theyre not getting away with it...this peice seems to be missing some puzzles. i think there is more to the 'fatwa' or 'fatwa-giver' than has been expressed...

peace.

rehmans_mba
11-11-2007, 09:16 AM
assalma wa alaykum
allahu akbar
if the news is correct then probably the fatwa maker has to under go a serious trial from our IMAMS and scholars so that things get resolved and save oursleve from ALLAH jalleshaanhau's azaaab.
Infact Turkey is the place which is been mentioned frequently in Scholars views on Qiyamah.may allahs peace upon all of us and our faith.

sevgi
11-11-2007, 10:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rehmans_mba
assalma wa alaykum
allahu akbar
if the news is correct then probably the fatwa maker has to under go a serious trial from our IMAMS and scholars so that things get resolved and save oursleve from ALLAH jalleshaanhau's azaaab.
Infact Turkey is the place which is been mentioned frequently in Scholars views on Qiyamah.may allahs peace upon all of us and our faith.
lol...alrighty.

rehmans_mba
11-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I didnt get please can u tell me what you are intend to say

sameer
11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Salaams, the initial thing that ran through my mind when i saw the headline was - What!!!!!!! and i thought that the turkish muslims supported this.
However, after that initial reaction I realized that the people who support this can be only a few and headlines are just written in a way to get people to stop and read the story. While the article says that the fatwah has some support in Egypt, its good to see that other scholars are refusing it.

-----------------------------------
Srinagar: A controversial 'fatwa' (edict) by a member of the scientific council of Istanbul University, Mohammad Nour Dughan, cutting Islamic prayer requirements from five to three times a day, has evoked sharp reactions from religious leaders here. In a statement here, the official Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir, Mufti Bashir-ud-din Ahmed, strongly criticised the 'fatwa', terming it provocative and uncalled for. ''The fatwa is unacceptable. There is absolutely no question of changing the prayer schedule of Muslims. Five-time prayers a day form one of the five basic fundamentals of Islam. And these fundamentals cannot be changed,'' he added. Describing Professor Dughan as a ''mentally sick'' person, the Mufti said the 'fatwa' should be condemned in the strongest terms. Prof Dughan recently issued the edict, allowing Turkish Muslims to pray only three times a day instead of the usual five - without fear of committing a sin. The fatwa allowed Muslims to pray three times a day, especially when they are heavily committed with work or personal issues. The move provoked widespread debate as well as opposition from orthodox Imams or Muslim clerics. Several other religious leaders and organisations have condemned the 'fatwa', saying it was unacceptable to cut prayers.

http://www.thekashmirmonitor.com/news/story.php?id=3699

------
11-13-2007, 02:10 PM
:salamext:

Fatwa in Turkey allows for 3 daily prayers
WHAT?!?! :ooh:

Auuthu Billah :-\

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.