/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cold or Flu Cures?

ranma1/2
11-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Well its getting to that time of the season again so im curious "as i finsih off my 1st box of tissue" any home remedys for colds, flu, sore throats, stuffy nose, dry irritated eyes and such.

I use to drink a mug of hot Dr. Pepper with lemon and it was great for a sore throat but alas none is here in japan.

SO what do you got?

UPDATE: i found a store here in Japan that has DR.P for abotu 150 a can... maybe if im desperate ill buy some.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-01-2007, 03:38 AM
if your sx. are indeed due to an acute respiratory illness, then focus on relieving symptoms.. what you are doing is ok, if it helps alleviate your sx. Honey, vicks or whatever else..
I suspect any anti-viral drugs are too late now for you they must be taken within the first 24 to 36 to shorten the duration of your Sx.
fluids and tylenol or whatever your mama told you is best. If you experience your SX. for a more protracted period of time, you should pay your ole GP a visit... chances are it is more sinister than just that..

be well and don't pass this around..

cheers

tetsujin
11-01-2007, 06:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
Well its getting to that time of the season again so im curious "as i finsih off my 1st box of tissue" any home remedys for colds, flu, sore throats, stuffy nose, dry irritated eyes and such.

I use to drink a mug of hot Dr. Pepper with lemon and it was great for a sore throat but alas none is here in japan.

SO what do you got?
According to the qur'an there's a natural cure for every disease, so I suggest eating everything you lay your eyes on.

The_Prince
11-01-2007, 07:23 AM
stay in bed and sleep. :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
11-01-2007, 11:04 AM
If you have the flu, try Relenza. I don't know if it works on all strains of the virus though.

By the way, Vitamin C does not help cure the cold/flu. This is a myth!! There is no proof for it at all.

Camomilla
11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
hot tea and honey is good for a person who has flu or cough.
Keep your body warm, wear socks and sleep well.

snakelegs
11-01-2007, 11:54 PM
if you get sinus pressure, boil some loose chamomile tea in a big pot of water. put a towel over your head and inhale the steam.
this also works very well for cluster headaches, at least up to a point.

-Elle-
11-02-2007, 03:50 AM
winter hasn't even started yet here and I already had a few colds..:mmokay:

Best remedies: Gargle with salt water as many times a day as you can(this really helps,especially if you have a sore throat)
really strong.Trust me,you'll feel better after a day or two.
and finally......drink lots of orange juice:) Make sure to stay hydrated so your muscles won't get sore(yep,I heard that dehydration causes sore muscles.)

I've got about a million more tricks since I always get colds during winter...but these are my top 3's..lol.

:w:

Malaikah
11-02-2007, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~
and finally......drink lots of orange juice:) Make sure to stay hydrated so your muscles won't get sore(yep,I heard that dehydration causes sore muscles.)
:sl:

If you are recommending orange juice because of Vitamin C... well let's just say there is no proof at all that vitamin C helps the cold.

The idea came about when a guy did an experiment. He took vitamin C and then discovered that he didn't get a cold, wrote a book and told everyone that vitamin C protects from the cold... the only problem is that he has no proof that it was the vitamin C that stopped him from getting the cold!!:giggling:

-Elle-
11-02-2007, 10:45 PM
lol I don't have any scientific proofs for any of these,I tested them out when I was sick and found out that these help me...either way,orange juice is good for you,

Go with citrus juices. Orange juice is a morning favorite and one of the most nutritious beverages available. An excellent source of vitamin C and potassium, orange juice also is a good source of folate and thiamin. Compared to other juices, orange juice is higher in protein, vitamin A, B-vitamins, vitamin C (it contains more than 10 times as much vitamin C as apple juice), calcium, iron and potassium, making it a heavyweight among fruit juices. Drinking an 8-ounce glass counts as one of your five necessary fruit and vegetable servings for the day.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T043200.asp

:D

Malaikah
11-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Of course, there is no doubt orange juice is great (in fact I am craving some right now...) but as for helping with a cold, umm ell yeh... there is no scientific research to back that claim in case anyone is interested. :)

Muezzin
11-05-2007, 10:35 PM
My biology teacher always told us that if you get ill, you should wrap up really warm and sweat your.. your... well, I can't say what parts of our bodies he told us to sweat off, but it was a boys' school, so you can probably guess.

Man, that dude was awesome. Looked like Basil Fawlty. Funny as heck.

But anyway, stay really, extremely, uncomfortably warm and burn those virii right out of your system.

Or just go to the doctor. But ask yourself - what would Rambo do?

tetsujin
11-05-2007, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
My biology teacher always told us that if you get ill, you should wrap up really warm and sweat your.. your... well, I can't say what parts of our bodies he told us to sweat off, but it was a boys' school, so you can probably guess.

Man, that dude was awesome. Looked like Basil Fawlty. Funny as heck.

But anyway, stay really, extremely, uncomfortably warm and burn those virii right out of your system.

Or just go to the doctor. But ask yourself - what would Rambo do?
I don't think wearing camo pants and dropping from a helicopter in the middle of the night to single handedly infiltrate an army base of virii and bacteria, with a heavy machine gun, a few grenades and a knife would help. Although it sounds like fun. :)

Zarmina
11-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Here's a good source:

Cold vs. Flu
http://www.healthninjas.com/features...rus_cold.shtml

Camomilla
11-20-2007, 08:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zarmina
thanx for the share, Jazakallah Khair!:sunny:

mestiza
01-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Erm.... there is really no cure for a Cold or a Flu as of yet. But you can help relieve it's symptoms, or take preventive measures like:

- Get enough sleep, helps your body to recover more efficiently
- Keep warm: when you're cold you're more prone to getting illnesses
- Eat healthily, 'what you are is what you eat' could build ur immune system
- Get some fresh air
- Try using vicks or any sort of decongestant ointment to help relieve decongestion
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Could try Ginger Tea, eat spicy food (for some reason it helps my friend:-\) hot lemon & honey drink
- ORR you could always resort to Cold & Flu medication:statisfie

ikaj
01-01-2008, 04:19 AM
i was feeling under the weather..
took a hot shower and put on some warm clothes and ate some chicken soup and popped a tyelenol.. felt better
fresh air is good
stay clean..wash your hands regularly
don't blow your nose and throw your tissues everywhere..that's gross

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.