/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK engineers invisible tank...wow

MTAFFI
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1811

Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'
Last updated at 11:56am on 30th October 2007

New technology that can make tanks invisible has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence.

In secret trials last week, the Army said it had made a vehicle completely disappear and predicted that an invisible tank would be ready for service by 2012.

The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.

Now you see it: How the tank might look with background images beamed onto the side

The result is that anyone looking in the direction of the vehicle only sees what is beyond it and not the tank itself.

A soldier, who was at the trials, said: "This technology is incredible. If I hadn't been present I wouldn't have believed it. I looked across the fields and just saw grass and trees - but in reality I was staring down the barrel of a tank gun."

Breakthrough: The MoD's 'Q', Professor Sir John Pendry
How the technology works in a combat situation is very sensitive, but the MoD is believed to be testing a military jacket that works on the same principles.

It is the type of innovation normally associated with James Bond, and the brains behind the latest technology is the MoD's very own "Q" - Professor Sir John Pendry, of Imperial College London.

He said the only drawback was the reliability of the cameras and projectors.

But he added: "The next stage is to make the tank invisible without them - which is intricate and complicated, but possible."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nebula
11-01-2007, 02:39 PM
wow this is amazing..

Keltoi
11-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Cool idea. I would like to see a video of it or something.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-01-2007, 03:19 PM
whooah :ooh:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
it is wild isnt it?

Pygoscelis
11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
As the guy on the linked to page asked: What do they do about the tank's shadow?

------
11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
:salamext:

Kool! I want one :D [invisibility cloak, not tank :lol:]

guyabano
11-01-2007, 07:55 PM
I would like to know, how much a Tank like that will cost ?
Besides, they will be invisible 'at sight' but not for a radar !

Muezzin
11-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Har!

...oh keep your hair on, it wasn't that bad.

Woodrow
11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I'll believe it when I see it.

Har!

...oh keep your hair on, it wasn't that bad.
:w:

5000 point infraction for making fun of bald mods.

MTAFFI
11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
As the guy on the linked to page asked: What do they do about the tank's shadow?
WELL IF IT IS INVISIBLE OBVIOUSLY IT DOESNT HAVE A SHADOW.....LOL ;D J/K, that is a good question, perhaps they use some sort of projection for that as well, who knows, if they can make a tank that size appear invisible I am sure that they didnt forget the shadow....lol

MTAFFI
11-01-2007, 08:37 PM
an even better question might be what kind of engine is in the thing because every tank i have ever heard fired up and moving along isnt exactly quiet :D

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
11-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I seen a video of an invisable Israeli shield on their tAnks a couple of years ago which also had video to it, looked just if not more impressive but havemt heard or seen anyhting about it yet

MTAFFI
11-01-2007, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
I seen a video of an invisable Israeli shield on their tAnks a couple of years ago which also had video to it, looked just if not more impressive but havemt heard or seen anyhting about it yet
well that is because it is invisibile

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
11-01-2007, 10:12 PM
no its like a bubble around the actual tank.

Keltoi
11-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I think this would be useful in situations where an enemy force is advancing into areas where radar is jammed or the enemy doesn't have radar capability. There are all kinds of situations where this would be an advantage, but like all things in warfare, it is only a tool, not a magic bullet.

Muezzin
11-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Wouldn't you kind of feel and hear a tank approaching, invisible or not?

It's like 'holy turd Batman, the ground is moving and I can hear growling and catterpillar tracks!

-It must be an earthquake, Robin! It's the only... possible... explanation!'

syilla
11-02-2007, 06:49 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Ila6WfzXuQ

the invisible cloak

MTAFFI
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM
no its like a bubble around the actual tank.
lol... i know i was just kidding

Bittersteel
11-02-2007, 01:26 PM
wow that's wow!
I was under the impression UK was building a tank with force shields(yeah shields like those in cartoons) around it to protect it in combat.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
lol... i know i was just kidding
I knew you were kidding around :embarrass

anyway here is the LINK

MTAFFI
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I knew you were kidding around :embarrass

anyway here is the LINK
That is pretty crazy!

------
11-05-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
:salamext:

Not bad lol, but I want the Invisibility Cloak like in Harry Potter films :D

omar_2133
11-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Well I just hope they never have to use this or any other tanks again, and avoid any future possible war.

~Taalibah~
11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
an even better question might be what kind of engine is in the thing because every tank i have ever heard fired up and moving along isnt exactly quiet :D
True, but this is amazing!

NobleMuslimUK
11-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Amazing technology, but i cant help but get this sickening feeling these barbarians will be using this against muslims.

~Taalibah~
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
:sl:
I had the same thought but didnt want to mention it.:thumbs_do

MTAFFI
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Amazing technology, but i cant help but get this sickening feeling these barbarians will be using this against muslims.
good God man, are you just trying to fire something up or what?

syilla
11-12-2007, 06:47 PM
good God man, are you just trying to fire something up or what?
I posted in the local forum...everyone is thinking that way... :uuh:

Amadeus85
11-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Another great invention of the Western World.

Muezzin
11-12-2007, 11:39 PM
As Darth Vader might say about certain of the more heated posts, 'Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to hide a tank is insignificant next to the power of the Recycling Bin'.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.