/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Free Will

tomtomsmom
11-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I saw a mention of free will in another thread and it got me thinking. I know that is scary!

We all have free will to choose how we are going to live our lives. It is our divine choice on if we are believers of any certain faith or none at all. We have free will to be good people or bad people. We are given so many options in life that many people, including myself, ask........ shouldn't this whole living thing be easier? Why does it have to be so complicated?

So here is my question to all of LI.

Do you think that the world would be a better place if we didn't have free will to do as we please? Would we all be better off if there was a grand design with a puppet master making us do what is right instead of trying to figure it out on our own? I would like everyone's view on this but only if it can remain a civil discussion!!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Peace,

hey how about a place where we have free-will but we cant use that free-will for evil? i think thats what would make the world the best place... and guess what, thats just what paradise is ! Free-will.. no evil !

tomtomsmom
11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
Peace,

hey how about a place where we have free-will but we cant use that free-will for evil? i think thats what would make the world the best place... and guess what, thats just what paradise is ! Free-will.. no evil !
Ahhh yes this is true brother, but who would decide what was evil and what was not? If you asked 100 people what they thought was evil you would get a 100 different answers. Plus that doesn't solve the problem of free will of religion.

sevgi
11-02-2007, 02:33 PM
i dnt think we have free will in this way.

yes, we have free will...but religion makes this 'easier'...so we dnt have to maka all decisons on our own...

for ppl with no religion there is social conformity and norms and values...

for ppl with neither...they are bad ppl...

and for ppl with both...then when u have a good human being.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Ahhh yes this is true brother, but who would decide what was evil and what was not? If you asked 100 people what they thought was evil you would get a 100 different answers. Plus that doesn't solve the problem of free will of religion.
lol let me put it this way, in paradise we will all make our own decisions, however no man or woman will ever feel hurt by another, and everyone will feel content at all times.

I hope you realise this cannot be achieved if the ideal form of evil wasnt wiped out, therefore no matter who decided what that evil was, the fact that the state of people is in such peace proves that there is no evil in such a place

I hope that made sense

tomtomsmom
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
lol let me put it this way, in paradise we will all make our own decisions, however no man or woman will ever feel hurt by another, and everyone will feel content at all times.

I hope you realise this cannot be achieved if the ideal form of evil wasnt wiped out, therefore no matter who decided what that evil was, the fact that the state of people is in such peace proves that there is no evil in such a place

I hope that made sense
Yes it made sense. Perhaps I haven't made my post make sense though. I am not asking about heaven. I am curious to your views of the here and now. If there was no free will, then we would all know what religion we were supposed to be. There would be no question and there would be no arguments. And though we would still have suffering and trials in our life, we would know better how to handle them.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
^ lol yes indeed, i understood perfectly the question.

But my answers purpose was to show you that God had intended to create life in an imperfect manner, and it is paradise he created for perfect harmony.

Indeed the earth would be a better place without free-will, but to earn such a place we must strive...

so i want you to feel at peace and realise that God knew this, and he created such a place. Its up to you if you want to strive to reach that place...

Re.TiReD
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
:salamext: nup...0% freewill would and could never exist...we always have some factors weather internal or external, determining some of the things we do. Life would be boring if we were puppets, and thats why Allah has given us freewill to do as we please, ok he has given us a guide on how to live our lives but that doesnt mean we HAVE to. Look at the number of non-Muslims for that.

I dont understand why you're asking the question though...no freewill would result in a robotic race :-\

tomtomsmom
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
IbnAbdulHakim
^ lol yes indeed, i understood perfectly the question.

But my answers purpose was to show you that God had intended to create life in an imperfect manner, and it is paradise he created for perfect harmony.

Indeed the earth would be a better place without free-will, but to earn such a place we must strive...

so i want you to feel at peace and realise that God knew this, and he created such a place. Its up to you if you want to strive to reach that place...

To feel at peace is much easier said than done brother. I do believe that there is a place like that. It is the road to getting there that is so complicated. Even if the road is Islam, isn't there supposed to be something like 73 sects and only one on the right path? And then you throw in all the other religions and there aren't really that many people that are supposed to get a ticket to heaven.

JihadunNafs

I dont understand why you're asking the question though...no freewill would result in a robotic race
Maybe it would be and maybe it wouldn't be. But would a robotic race not be better than the horrible things we have now? People blowing things up, thousands of souls dying because of hate, mothers killing their own children.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Even if the road is Islam, isn't there supposed to be something like 73 sects and only one on the right path?
yes but throughout the ages it has been like this, there has always been deviated people, it is the people who go against their nature. This doesnt nullify the truth, it only distinguishes the truth further, in order to see the whiteness it must be surrounded by black or you will not recognize it.

This rainbow effect of deviations might seem daunting but the brightness of the straight path farly outshines all deviations, it is clear and when someone is upon the truth it is easy to tell. It takes just listening to one speech of an imaam and i can tell if his on the truth or not from his adhaab to the message his spreading...

things become complicated when you make it complicated, God has given us two things, a brain and a heart... if we keep our heart clean and our brain reflecting then why shouldnt we be able to find God?..

tomtomsmom
11-02-2007, 03:06 PM
yes but throughout the ages it has been like this, there has always been deviated people, it is the people who go against their nature. This doesnt nullify the truth, it only distinguishes the truth further, in order to see the whiteness it must be surrounded by black or you will not recognize it.

This rainbow effect of deviations might seem daunting but the brightness of the straight path farly outshines all deviations, it is clear and when someone is upon the truth it is easy to tell. It takes just listening to one speech of an imaam and i can tell if his on the truth or not from his adhaab to the message his spreading...

things become complicated when you make it complicated, God has given us two things, a brain and a heart... if we keep our heart clean and our brain reflecting then why shouldnt we be able to find God?..
Gosh, you always make it sound so easy!!! I wish it really were.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
^ then i ask that God make it easy for you...

sevgi
11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Gosh, you always make it sound so easy!!! I wish it really were.
its easy because as the brother said...its is a clear and luminous road...

what makes it hard is the ever-expanding shadow which lurks over it..always.

so u cant always see it..

this shadow may be interpreted as anything...may be derived from ones personal life...it may be seen as the devil himself.

if this makes sense.im lucky.if it doesnt.i beg ur pardon.its 2.11am where i am...

peace.

Eric H
11-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Greetings and peace be with you IbnAbdulHakim;
God had intended to create life in an imperfect manner, and it is paradise he created for perfect harmony.
I look at this from another perception, that God created life and he saw that it was good ‘Genesis’ In the same way a manufacturer might make a range of kitchen knives and see that they are good, but the maker cannot stop his kitchen knives being used for murder. Should he stop making knives because there is a very real probaility that one of his knives will be used to kill?

I believe that God created man in the greatest good way possible and for the greatest good intentions, but there are risks, only God can understand how the risks are worthwhile. Despite all the ways man mess up in this life, God has the power to put all things right in a greater life after death.

Above all else in Christianity we are asked to love God and to love our neighbour as we love ourselves. If I force someone to love me then I become an overbearing dictator and love has no meaning. If someone is to truly love me then by its very definition this should be done freely and willingly. I believe this has the same meaning for God and he wants our love freely and willingly, and this is the greatest reason we have choice.

I believe this is very similar in Islam that Gods wants submission freely and willingly. The greatest problems for man seems to be how do we love each other and get on with each other freely and willingly despite all our differences?

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth.

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.