/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Convert to Islam

Esther462
11-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Everyone.

As of about over a week ago I now a Muslim. I converted though a converting web site but I can't remember which one. :?
I've converted for Christianty to Islam and I'm really happy as I feel more at peace within myself.
I'm just scared to tell my family as they are elders of the church I did attend. I'm also scared to tell my christians friends too.:nervous:
Any advice on how to tell my family will be welcomed.
I've told most of my friends that are outside my christian circul of friends and they are all happy with it. :happy:
I've started to wear my hijab and I'm very happy with it and everyone says it's sutes me. :muslimah:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
11-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Assalamu Alaikum (peace be upon you),

Welcome and congratulations! Make yourself and home, and check out my siggy for helpful websites for converts :D

ummzayd
11-02-2007, 09:00 PM
assalamu alaikum sister

congratulations on accepting Islam, may Allah Most High continue to bless you and guide you and keep you and me on the straight path always ameen.

If you are in the UK, whereabouts do you live?

It is difficult to tell family members especially if they are active practising Christians. It's fairly likely that they will freak out, I'm afraid, given most peoples false ideas about this deen. Did they know you were investigating Islam?

I advise you first and foremost to pray the 5 daily prayers and stick to them as if your life depended on it.

:w:

-xRafeenax-
11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
salam
mashallah that is very good !!! it brings a tear of happiness to my eye.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Strzelecki
11-03-2007, 03:51 AM
Asalaamalayakum sister!
MashaAllah, welcome to Islam! ^^
I remember reading your intro hehe.
Don't stop praying for your family, and inshaAllah even if it takes some time they will be okay with it. :)

May Allah (swt) make it easy for you.

MuslimahBarb
11-03-2007, 04:06 AM
:sl:

MashaAllah! Welcome to Islam dear sister. It is great to have you join our Muslim "family." :D

Salam
Barb

Khayal
11-03-2007, 04:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
Hi Everyone.

As of about over a week ago I now a Muslim. I converted though a converting web site but I can't remember which one. :?
I've converted for Christianty to Islam and I'm really happy as I feel more at peace within myself.
I'm just scared to tell my family as they are elders of the church I did attend. I'm also scared to tell my christians friends too.:nervous:
I've told most of my friends that are outside my christian circul of friends and they are all happy with it. :happy:
I've started to wear my hijab and I'm very happy with it and everyone says it's sutes me. :muslimah:

MashaAllah n welcome to the way to jannah, InshaAllah

How did you start wearing hijab, :?as you mentioned your family doesn't know that you reverted to Islam, they didn't ask about your wearing hijab?:?

AND yeah, there is a noor ( light ) on everybodys face who wears hijab, Alhamdulilah

niler
11-03-2007, 08:12 AM
asssalamu aleykum.
thats really great sis, welcome to islam.
May Allah guide u 2 do wat He loves and avoid what He hates.

Its a blessing from God for He guides whom He wills to the right path.

lmaestro
11-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Asalaamalayakum sister
Welcome to Islam

muslim1
11-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Dear Sis
May Allah guide you always to the true path. My warm congrats.
Keep praying to Allah to guide u.

mojahid
11-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Congratulation sister.

May Allah guide us and have mercy on us. Can you advise me of Taking Shahad Online website

May Allah bless
you

Esther462
11-04-2007, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummzayd
assalamu alaikum sister

congratulations on accepting Islam, may Allah Most High continue to bless you and guide you and keep you and me on the straight path always ameen.

If you are in the UK, whereabouts do you live?

It is difficult to tell family members especially if they are active practising Christians. It's fairly likely that they will freak out, I'm afraid, given most peoples false ideas about this deen. Did they know you were investigating Islam?

I advise you first and foremost to pray the 5 daily prayers and stick to them as if your life depended on it.

I live in Dorset in the UK.

Only one person knew I was investigating Islam but no-one from my family knew.

I've told my parents now and they were a little shocked and just couldn't understand why I converted to Islam so I gave them a letter I wrote to them and all was explained and they understood but still a little mythed.

When they saw my Hijab, I told them that God told me to wear it and then after that I told them I am now Muslim.

I have been praying 5 times a day but when I'm at college I have to fit it round my lessons.

ummzayd
11-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I live in Dorset in the UK.
assalamu alaikum

snap! I am in Weymouth at the mo although I have to divide my time between here and London. Muslims are a bit thin on the ground here in the South West, I do know an English couple near Yeovil, and there are some good sisters in Southampton masha'Allah an excellent study circle there I believe.

well alhamdulillah your parents know now it must be a relief?

wassalam

omar_2133
11-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Congratulations! You've reverted to your natural birthright! I'll repeat some of the advice iven to you by others in your situation:

• Show that you've changed your behaviour and attitude for the better before telling her, so that when you do tell her, she;ll realize it;s for the better
  • Stress that you haven't changed who you worship (i.e. God) and you still highly respect Jesus Christ as a Prophet in Islam
  • Tell her that the religion of Islam is nothing to do with terrosim, or anything that the media portrays it as, and that Islam is wrongfully thrown into the world's major politicial crises, and exploited an as excuse to commit hideous crimes, and that Islam condemns these
  • Pray to Allah, asking for Help and Guidance

Just remember, you've turned a new leaf, but you're still the same old self with a fresh new start and approach to life!

May God ease your circumstances, and guide you through this splendid time,

omar_2133

Esther462
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
assalamu alaikum

snap! I am in Weymouth at the mo although I have to divide my time between here and London. Muslims are a bit thin on the ground here in the South West, I do know an English couple near Yeovil, and there are some good sisters in Southampton masha'Allah an excellent study circle there I believe.

well alhamdulillah your parents know now it must be a relief?

wassalam
That is were I live, where you are at the mo.
Yep Muslims are a little thin in the South West as there are no big citys that everyones knows. I do get a lot of looks from people in the town becuse I'm wearing a Hijab.

My parents are a little anioyed but I am happier but feel a little guilty as I've turned away from there faith but being Muslim is the right thing that I've done.

Esther462
11-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the advice Omar 2133.

ummzayd
11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
That is were I live, where you are at the mo.
Yep Muslims are a little thin in the South West as there are no big citys that everyones knows. I do get a lot of looks from people in the town becuse I'm wearing a Hijab.

My parents are a little anioyed but I am happier but feel a little guilty as I've turned away from there faith but being Muslim is the right thing that I've done.
wow alhamdulillah! so I might see you on the beach or at asda some day insha'Allah! I know what you mean about the looks, but I haven't found anyone to be really hostile mostly just curious or kind of shocked. My advice is to be confident and ignore the stares. smile and be friendly too, cos a lot of people are kind of scared of Muslims and think we are all fanatics who hate everyone non-Muslim. (obviously don't smile and be friendly too much with guys, who are terminally afflicted with 'she fancies me' delusions lol).

well I've been feeling like literally 'the only hijabi in the village' so I'm glad there's at least 2 of us now!

about your parents, maybe they brought you up with good values, and belief in God - so you should make it clear to them that you haven't rejected these values at all. Islam teaches us to live a moral life, and to worship God. as for hijab....how could a Christian possibly object to modesty? Hijab is dignity and self-respect alhamdulillah. Also remember that Allah ta'ala requires us to have unlimited patience and kindness with parents, although of course we do not obey them in anything displeasing to God.

salaam sister

Intisar
11-04-2007, 07:08 PM
:sl: Masha'Allah, Allah has truly guided you to the right path of Al-Islaam. To feel more welcomed in the Ummah, I suggest you go to Islamic functions and join an MSA (that is, if you're attending school). Try and find a place where you can learn how to read the Quran in Arabic so that you feel closer to Allah (SWT), and so you can pray. If you need a sister to talk to, I'm there for you and so are the other sisters on LI. Once you are admitted access to the sister's forum, you'll probably get addicted to this place - I have. ;D Enjoy your stay, and may Allah make you steadfast in his deen, increase your imaan and make your transition in to his deen a smooth one. :w:

Esther462
11-04-2007, 07:49 PM
wow alhamdulillah! so I might see you on the beach or at asda some day insha'Allah! I know what you mean about the looks, but I haven't found anyone to be really hostile mostly just curious or kind of shocked. My advice is to be confident and ignore the stares. smile and be friendly too, cos a lot of people are kind of scared of Muslims and think we are all fanatics who hate everyone non-Muslim. (obviously don't smile and be friendly too much with guys, who are terminally afflicted with 'she fancies me' delusions lol).

well I've been feeling like literally 'the only hijabi in the village' so I'm glad there's at least 2 of us now!

about your parents, maybe they brought you up with good values, and belief in God - so you should make it clear to them that you haven't rejected these values at all. Islam teaches us to live a moral life, and to worship God. as for hijab....how could a Christian possibly object to modesty? Hijab is dignity and self-respect alhamdulillah. Also remember that Allah ta'ala requires us to have unlimited patience and kindness with parents, although of course we do not obey them in anything displeasing to God.

salaam sister

More like in ASDA or at Weymouth College.
When ever I see a guy, my eyes goes on to the floor.
The 1st evening I wore my Hijab outside my house, I got yelled at by some Wey Vally kids that live on my road but I just walked quickly on and igonor them. I've been on a bus full of them and most of them just look out of instrest and say nothing to me.
At college there is a few lads that do winded me up but they did it when I was Christian too, so I just ignor them too. All my teachers and course friends are happy with me.

My parents are my ex-foster parents and I've known them for 15 years now. That is 3/4 of my life. They did bring me up on good values, unlike a lot of people my age. I did explain to them that I still believe in God but my views on Jesus (pbuh) is differant from them now. I do respected them as they are family to me. I'm going to not bring up my faith to much at family occations as I am now the odd one out, apart from my bother that does not believe in God at all. I will be happy if they don't question my faith after today. I have told them that I came take my Hijab off at there house if I want to.
I feel happier and safer as a person when I'm out and about because I cover my body up from head to toe, with only my face and hands showing.

Allah (stw) is blessing me with courage, inerstrength, compation, inerpeace and selfcontol over myself.

ummzayd
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I feel happier and safer as a person when I'm out and about because I cover my body up from head to toe, with only my face and hands showing.

Allah (stw) is blessing me with courage, inerstrength, compation, inerpeace and selfcontol over myself.
assalamu alaikum

I'm really happy for you sis, you are already getting so much benefit out of being a Muslim, may Allah swt continue to bless you and guide you.

I have some books you might like so feel free to drop in during the week. I will let you know my address in a private message.

Fishman
11-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Subhanallah!
:happy:

niler
11-04-2007, 09:30 PM
thats relly sweet sister. May Allah guide ur family to the right path thru u by His will inshAllah. Ameen

جوري
11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Allah akbar..
my only advise for anything new in general is to take it one day at a time.. that is why time is there, so not all events roll into each other and people get overwhelmed..
welcome to Islam my sister..

Woodrow
11-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Masha Allaah Sister. First of all you did not turn away from your faith, you have fulfilled it and have returned home. You did not convert to Islam, you reverted to your birth right and are now on the path to learning how to worship the God(swt) you have always loved and desired to follow.

Remember, while it only takes a few seconds to become Muslim, it takes a life time to be a Muslim. You are now venturing forth on a great adventure full of joy and discovery. there will be many trials and sometimes there will be road blocks put up in attempts to get you to leave the path. But, Allaah(swt) will never allow you to face any challange that he has not given you the strength to face. You are not alone, you are a member of the Ummah, the largest family on earth and you have countless brothers and sisters that will cheerfully come to your aid.

Welcome home sister and please remember me in your Du'as, there are no prayers more sincere than the du'as coming from a new born, sinless child and you are now that a new born, sinless child, beginning life with purity and a new freshness.

Esther462
11-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks Woodrow.

My confidents within myself has grown a lot since I became a Muslim. I manage to tell my whole course at college that I'm a Muslim and I managed to stick to a discution that my group were having about my Hijab as one person on my course was annioed that I could wear it in lessons and he couldn't wear his hat. I was very carm about the situation and that person went to the Equality and Diversity person after the lesson and everything was carm. I even told my parents which is a big thing for a convert and they are Christians and elders of the church I did attened. They still love me which is the main thing.

MustafaMc
11-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Assalamu Alaikum, welcome to Islam and to this forum. I too reverted to Islam from Christianity over 25 years ago. In growing up, my family was Christian, but they weren't particularly religous. Still most were quite upset with me for becoming a Muslim even though I had been the most religous among my family when I was a Christian.

I can imagine that it will be more difficult for you as it seems that you have a very religous family. I am hesitant to offer advice, but I encourage you to be true to your faith and try to initially emphasize the similarities between Islam and Christianity.

(Sorry, I hadn't read all of the posts to know that you had already told your parents.)

Ghira
11-05-2007, 04:52 AM
More like in ASDA or at Weymouth College.
When ever I see a guy, my eyes goes on to the floor.
The 1st evening I wore my Hijab outside my house, I got yelled at by some Wey Vally kids that live on my road but I just walked quickly on and igonor them. I've been on a bus full of them and most of them just look out of instrest and say nothing to me.
At college there is a few lads that do winded me up but they did it when I was Christian too, so I just ignor them too. All my teachers and course friends are happy with me.

My parents are my ex-foster parents and I've known them for 15 years now. That is 3/4 of my life. They did bring me up on good values, unlike a lot of people my age. I did explain to them that I still believe in God but my views on Jesus (pbuh) is differant from them now. I do respected them as they are family to me. I'm going to not bring up my faith to much at family occations as I am now the odd one out, apart from my bother that does not believe in God at all. I will be happy if they don't question my faith after today. I have told them that I came take my Hijab off at there house if I want to.

Welcome to Islam Sister!!! Reading your posts Looks like you already have a strong background and understanding. As you may know when you become Muslim (submit to God alone) then all your previous sins are erased completely. Since you are completely sinless and starting from clean plate I am requesting if you can make a du'a (prayer) for my elder brother he is going through some difficult times. Thank you in advance and May God continue to guide us and reward you ameen greatly.

muslim1
11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
My warm congrats on Islam :peace:
I know what u feeling and how u feeling it, but as you said you did the right thing.

Here's a link for a good Islamic magazine for new Muslims:

http://www.i-mag.org/component/optio...etails/gid,18/

------
11-08-2007, 02:23 PM
:salamext:

Congratulations!!! Allaahu Akbar!

Sis if you could post your conversion story on here, it would be really interesting to read Inshaa Allaah, e.g. what made you realise Islaam is the right religion, when did u come to this decision, etc.

Esther462
11-08-2007, 07:20 PM
To write my story, I find to hard Muj4h1d4 so I've done a video about how I came a Muslim.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up_uj_ljRDQ

MustafaMc
11-10-2007, 01:50 AM
May Allah continue to guide you and give you patience to make the transition in becoming a Muslim. Have you learned the Fatiha and say your prayers in Arabic?

Esther462
11-10-2007, 02:00 PM
The answer to your question MustafaMc is No. I only do my prayers in English as I find it hard to learn another lang. I will learn arabic but not quite yet.

MustafaMc
11-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Sisiter I encourage you to continue to do your best and continually strive to learn. You are going through a major transformation in becoming a Muslim - much like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly. It would be great for you to find an understanding Muslimah to help you learn.

Al Kuttab Quranic software that I find helpful as I can repeat an ayat (verse) over and over while simultaneously practicing it:
http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma..._Code=Software

I also follow along in a Quran with Arabic, English and Roman script transliteration:
http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma...Code=Eng_Quran

However, there are some Arabic letters with no English equivalent that are difficult to pronounce. This software is good for learning some Arabic as you grow.
Al Qari Plus software for learning Arabic:
http://soundvision.com/info/alqari/

Umar001
11-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Maybe someone can turn my story into a video, I always wished I had made it a video. Actually, I will, try, when I get a camera to do so. In poetry form.

Coming near you, Soon!

Eesa :)

A tip for learning arabic, I found it easier to read the writing more than try to remember it, since it was very hard to get my tongue around alot of the words, so I got my tongue around it and then tried memorising it.

YusufNoor
11-10-2007, 03:31 PM
To write my story, I find to hard Muj4h1d4 so I've done a video about how I came a Muslim.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up_uj_ljRDQ

Masha Allah Sister, from being afraid to tell your step-parents to telling the whole wide world!

Alhumdulillah, Allah suhannahu wa ta'aala must of gave you an extra heaping helping of Iman!!!!!

the sister that told you to check her siggy for links, you should check those out as they look super helpful.

May Allah suhannahu wa ta'aala guide you and strengthen you and help you find peaceful acceptance with your family and even help guide them to Islam! Ameen!

Aicha-belgium
11-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Assalam alaikum sister in the islam

Welcom to the islam sister and if you have some questions tell it us and ishallah we will help you, I'm a muslima but everyday I'm still learning. It's a continu proces.

walaikum salam

Umar001
11-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I know the feeling. It took me over a year to tell my mother, trust me, it doesn't get any easier.

As for friends, it was pretty hard with friends who were really Christian. I'd advise you to prepare an answer, I noticed that I choked a bit when people asked me why I became Muslim. :thumbs_up

Yes, though, as for telling parents and so forth, make your eman strong, build your knowledge, and tell you parents, remember that time does not always make it easier, and remember the longer you leave it, the less time you have to call them to Islam, the way to paradise. :)

Don't rush, but keep that in mind insha'Allah sister.

And remember, keep getting Islamic knowledge slowly, bit by bit, don't pressure yourself too much, but don't relax too much either :)

Well that depends on what type of parents you have and your reletionship with them sister.

Eesa

omar_2133
11-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Just to reiterate my previous advice, emphasize the similarities between both you and your parent's faiths, particularly on Monotheism, and not difference, and that you both worship exactly the same God.

And I'm guessing the subject of Jesus Christ may come up, but stress in your answer that one of the conditions of being a Muslim, is belief in the Prophethood of Jesus Christ. On a side note, this is actually true as you have to believe in all the prophets of Islam, including Jesus and Muhammad before being a Muslim.

Also, they may think you're "replacing" Jesus with Muhammad, but again stress that Muslims don't in any way worship him, or think of him as the Son of God, and that this is in fact forbidden.

And place emphasis in yor answer that you haven't changed who you worship, and you could put that it would improve your behaviour and conduct, and make you a more moral person.

Noor 13
11-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Assalamu alaykom wa Rahmat Allahi wa Barakatoh

MashAllah it is alwyas good to hear from new reverts to our sonderful religion. I reverted 21/2 years ago and it was by far the best thing I ever did alhamdullilah. I know it is hard to tell the family but you have to. I did it actually before I took my Shahada and altough my parents were shocked they got over it eventually alhamdullilah.
I will pray for you that Alah will make it easy for you
Salam alaykom
Noor

abd265
11-23-2007, 02:45 PM
salem alikoum ,
YOU ARE WELLCOME SISTER IN " ISLAM " AND WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU, if you need anything i'm abdelkader a muslim student from algeria, I will be very happy , my sister if I can do something to help a muslim.
salem,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.