PDA

View Full Version : Take ur time Answering it !!



WomanOfJihad
01-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Assalamu'Aleykum..

Hmm.. here is something interesting ... for u all to answerr..


To all the sisters on this forum, I wanted 2 pose a few questions 2 u...Wat made u decide 2 begin wearin the Islamic dress code? n After deciding 2 do it, what r some of d changes u noticed.... not only in ur attitude and character but also in your dealings with people and society in general. What does being a muhajiba mean 2 u n wat importance and significance does it have in your life?

To all the brothers on this forum, In Islam we know dat there r dress codes not only 4 d women but also 4 the men. Does adhering 2 an Islamic dress code affect ur character, attitude, or d way you react to issues?.....n Is there a difference in your eyes between a hijabi and non-hijabi woman? If so, what is it? If not, then why?

Jazakallahu Khairan

Wassalamu Alaikum.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brother_Mujahid
01-07-2005, 06:01 PM
not too sure what dress code you on about for men, as it is only stated that the men have to cover from the knee to the navel and thats all. you see in the prophets time there were no jubas or red scarves that the saudis wear today.

Although wearing a shalwar kameez doesnt affect my attitude or anything like that.

there is deffinetely a difference between a hijabi and a non hijabi. a hijabi fulfills her obligation as a muslim whereas a non hijabi (not so sure if this is a muslim non hijabi or not, ill persume a non hijabi muslimah) is not fulfilling her obligation as a muslimah to cover up

and allah ta'allah knows best

wasalam
Reply

Khaldun
01-07-2005, 06:38 PM
:sl:

Wearing a qamis doesnt really have a direct effect on me as such...its become apart of who I am, so I really cant feel a "change"....but then again takin it of, makes me feel abit..."naked"....or somethings missing, also if I was to wear "normal" clothes, I would get even more ppl staring at me then when I am wearing the qamis...ppl have gotten used to seeing you like that i guess

As for non Hijabis and stufff, I would agree with brother Mujahid...also when your around non Hijabis you dont "feel" the same, if you understand what i mean?? When you see a hijabi you can understand that her religion is important to her and that her main proirtiy is to please her Lord. And I believe this could have a positive influence on the ppl in the sourrunding enviroment.

WaAllahu Ta'la 'Alm
Reply

WomanOfJihad
01-07-2005, 09:05 PM

Assalamu'Aleykum

Allah swt gave me the hidayah to do Hijaab .. few years bak .. n the great startin point was in ramadhan .. wat made me decide to wear the islamic dress code is because Allah swt has said so inthe Quran ..
After i started wearing it .. it made lots of difference in my life... it stopped me from commiting sins ... and also people's attitude towards me changed in a good way .. n as for the people and society around me ..i didnt really notice how they reacted ..n they didnt bother me .Although i wasnt confident goin to a place of non muslims ( i.e. town) .. since there r lots of racist pple .. but Alhumdulillah.. i dnt let them get to me.. no matter if they make some racist comments or give me Dirty looks ... as long as i m pleasing Allah swt .. the wrld doesnt matter to me ....

Being muhajiba .. makes u realise lots of thingss.. n we gotta be careful with wat we do.. since we never know who is following our footsteps..(ALLAHU ALIM)

Wa 'Aleykum As salam..
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
aamirsaab
01-07-2005, 09:14 PM
very good points from all of you

what i would like to say is that we shouldnt neccesarily judge people by what they wear. i know that it does happen naturally sometimes e.g. u dont really feel completely safe in town walking near a bunch of youths dressed in hoodies, smokin who knows what :P
but the point is we really shouldnt.

i understand that hijaab is obligatory for women but not all can do it i.e the school girls in france are not allwed 2 wear hijaab.


basically wot i am trying to say is that it shouldnt matter the clothes someone wears - its not about appearance because we all know that appearancees can be deceiving.
we should try to use our heart and mind more than our eyes

i know alot of people who dont wear hijaab or qamiz but i treat them no differently then those who do because i dont know waht they do when they are at home or in other surroundings etc just like they dont know waht i do at home etc (unless of course they are spying on me :D) - perhaps their ''clothing'' is their only fault. perhaps it isnt.

p.s. i myself do not wear qamiz.
Reply

root
01-08-2005, 05:47 PM
I agree with the last poster. I would support France that bans on wearing of extreme Religous Articles in schools, I would also ban religous schools such as Catholic and Islamic since it creates division. How does one validate a religion! and why not allow "Goth's" to dislpay their Identity in "full".

I recently stayed in Pakistan (Karachi) for three months working for my UK employer. I had a very interestng time, however Pakistan is an "Islamic Republic", and I remember two sisters that came from the same family, who came to work for us and they were both loyal muslims to their faith, I would say equal in beleif, and character. One wore the Hijad, one did not. The one that did not was more feminime that the one who did. I puzzled them, and the one who did explain that the wearing of the Hajib goes back to the question "Should a women cover up her buety". Wether or not this includes the entire face is purely a question of your own faith. It is not a banner of identity!!!!!

Also, I toned down my "Britishness" by after some weeks switching to wearing the Kaftan (perhaps a mis-spelling) with western suit trousers and sandles. I lived for 3 months life with "Pakistani Pakistan", I loved em all, made great freinds with many many people, was treat with respect and assistance. Had memories I will never forget, but most of all experienced a sense of Islamic life. I toned down, to be less "different", and in reverse i feel we should not have the wearing of this head gear at our schools. And whilst at school allow the culture of unity develop amongst the different religions.

I also noted that one of my boss's daughters came to her Uncles place of work a number of times, taking off her head gear once inside, no matter who was their. I found communicating with her much easier because I was taking so many facial expressions as feedback to response to what i was communicating to her. How would you know if u embaress someone if you only see the eyes!

Their 5 prayer breaks (including fridays preyer), two coffee breaks and a 30 minute dinner break was disputed when we debated UK or Pakistan working hours!!!

Pakistan has many problems, is in full scale economical development and a definate high flyer of the Islamic world I only wish the world was more peaceful and that Pakistan could better develop it's tourism and watch the money come rolling in to further improve what they are constantly improving, despite heavy corruption.


I loved Pakistan..........
Reply

aamirsaab
01-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by root
I only wish the world was more peaceful
You and me both
Reply

Uthman
01-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Alhamdulillah Allah (SWT) told us to obey the laws of the land. I just said this in another thread. We should think what we are more worried about. Pleasing Allah (SWT) or what the western society is gonna think? I think 'Womanofjihad' is an example to all muslim women! She's tops! :)
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
01-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Asalaamu Alaykum wr wb


As a Muslimah my Hijaab means everything to me, without it i feel low, mindless, and unrespectful. I always wore my hijaab alhamdulilaah, but theres a diffrence between just wearing a head-scarf on your head not know why or for waht reason your wearing it and actually knowing the correct hijaab and having an understanding of why im wearinng it.

O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the believing women that they should draw over themselves their jilbab (outer garments) (when in public); this will be more conducive to their being recognized (as decent women) and not harassed. But God is indeed oft-forgiving, most merciful. (33:59)

A sister showed us "couple of other sister" this ayaah and thats when it hit me. I was wearing Hijaab BUT YET not a correct hijaab.

I wanted to dress like the the women at the time of the Prophet and oneday i just brought a jilbaab and put it on. Alhmdulilaah.

Its a long story and i kept it short.

Insha Allah I'll tell you my experience and how people reacted next time.

Waslaam
Reply

WomanOfJihad
01-08-2005, 11:41 PM

I think 'Womanofjihad' is an example to all muslim women! She's tops
brother , New Rule: Those who make others the centre of attention shud b banned? :eek:

Insha Allah I'll tell you my experience and how people reacted next time.
inshAllah sis Muslimah..lokin fwd to hear all abt it :)

Reply

Umm Yoosuf
01-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Well my experience was not hard, people just asked me the odd questions like why you wearing it and blah blab and yeah the odd stares.....people kinda looked sacred of me espically when they saw me in public transport..probably thought i had a bomb attached to me or something. There were some muslims asking me oh your religous and blah blab ...you know i hate when some tells me im religous....cuz im not....im doing what a muslims is surpose to do...obeying Allah and His Message ...so i do become religous...im a muslim...Other then that i got alot of respect from people espically the men! And the hijaab alhamdulilaah it scars of all sorts of fitnah!
Reply

Uthman
01-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by WomanOfJihad
brother , New Rule: Those who make others the centre of attention shud b banned? :eek:


Really? Sorry, I don't want to b banned! Plz don't ban me! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Plz forgive me! I'll commence my letter of apology right away!

Originally Posted by ProudMuslimah
Well my experience was not hard, people just asked me the odd questions like why you wearing it and blah blab and yeah the odd stares.....people kinda looked sacred of me espically when they saw me in public transport..probably thought i had a bomb attached to me or something. There were some muslims asking me oh your religous and blah blab ...you know i hate when some tells me im religous....cuz im not....im doing what a muslims is surpose to do...obeying Allah and His Message ...so i do become religous...im a muslim...Other then that i got alot of respect from people espically the men! And the hijaab alhamdulilaah it scars of all sorts of fitnah!
Mashallah sister that's great! That happens to many women, no? Insha allah you will be rewarded for your loyalty to Allah (SWT) and his messenger :)
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-09-2005, 04:01 PM
:sl:

For my scarf is my protector, my lover, my devotion,
my pureness, my beauty, my rememberance of God, And I proudly pull it over my hair knowing that when I wear it, I so rightfully thrust away all the things that the devil brought about, And when I put it on, I am Free knowin dat i'm in da right path alxmudlihaah.....My hijab is for the sake of Allah in imaan and taqwa AND I refuse to be objectified by man.
Reply

Uthman
01-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Subhanallah sister! ;)
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Osman
Subhanallah sister! ;)


MM,, mashallah in other words
Reply

Uthman
01-09-2005, 06:14 PM
I get confused I do. I can't remember the different meaning for each one :(
Reply

WomanOfJihad
01-09-2005, 06:46 PM
MashAllah sister Islam ... i like the way uve put it ..
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Osman
I get confused I do. I can't remember the different meaning for each one :(

well now my brother in islam,.. hope u can telll da diffeneces between those wordz,,,,
soory 4 beein hush...!! ma bad
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by WomanOfJihad
MashAllah sister Islam ... i like the way uve put it ..


Jaazaaki Allahu Khirah
Reply

Uthman
01-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by 1_Of_Ur_Siss_In_Islam
well now my brother in islam,.. hope u can telll da diffeneces between those wordz,,,,
soory 4 beein hush...!! ma bad
Come again? :confused:
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Osman
Come again? :confused:

nothin dear brother...
Reply

Uthman
01-09-2005, 08:22 PM
k lol!
Reply

zubair_president
01-17-2005, 11:12 PM
:sl:
allhumdullilah i adopt the sunnah way of dress.

i think its of great importance to observe the sunnah and required way of dress as much as possible for both males and females.

however i also hold the opinion that one should only take such steps when they are ready and in order to please the almighty, and not in order to impress ones peers and to have social standing.

it is also of great importance for those who adorn such clothing to be cautious of there behaviour as ones wrongs will create a negative picture for all.

also for those who do not observe such dress, they should be incouraged to do so, but never looked down upon,
for hidayah is in the hands of allah alone and one never knows what tomorow holds.
Reply

Muslimah
01-19-2005, 02:00 PM
:sl:
I started wearing the little head scrap for so many years ago, as if it was JUST obligation,used to listen to music and didnt really care...my life was just kind of empty...
Then wa Alhamdulilah i started wearing the Jilbaab...Things got changed step by step...i felt am loving meself for the way i'm..felt that my only goal is to please Allah...always ask myself i'm i being good muslimah. my jilbaab let me hate the music, walahi ikhwaani you cant bileve what music will make you be, some people think its just fun and cool...in fact it will earse your shy side..it will make you say whatever and be whatever.
My co-workers was so suprised with my new attitude, i could see the hasitation of asking me what happened in them faces, i told them this is the way i should be and i'm even missing alot, Muslim woman should be covered. they showed the respect.

Alhamdulilah My jilbaab bring me the love to the Quran...i've got the interest of anything that belong to my (deen). I'm day and night saying alhamdulilah.


My sisters....have any one of you wear Niqaab..or trying to do so in the near future?

May Allah subhana wa ta'ala guide us to the right way.

Subhana Allah wa bihamdih....Subhana Allah Al-adiim...
Reply

al-muminoon
01-19-2005, 06:21 PM
:sl:

Alhamdulillah some very good points and views about hijab etc... and its all about the indentity too, so that you can known you are a muslim, us guys wearing the jubbah, kurtah or topi etc...and girls wearing the hijab...

Take for example 2 people sittin on the bench in a park when a muslim molana comes past and says salaams to only one of them as he doesnt know the other one is a muslim... the person who didnt get salaams goes to the molana and says how come you didnt say salaam to me? the Molana says i didnt know u were muslim etc... and the guy with no islamic appearance keeps going on at the molana.... and finally.. the Molana explains it to to him in this beautiful way....

He tells the guy, here take this envelope and letter inside and post it, the Molana wrote no address on this letter.. but told the guy to post it, the guy walked a few steps and returned and thought how will it reach his destination without there being an address on the front... then the Molana replies to him and says..similiarly on our bodies when we have no outer appearance/show then how will we reach our destination?

When a letter cannot reach its destination without anything on the front, then how will we reach our Allah?
Glory be to Allah!


:sl:
Reply

WomanOfJihad
01-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Muslimah
:sl:
I started wearing the little head scrap for so many years ago, as if it was JUST obligation,used to listen to music and didnt really care...my life was just kind of empty...
Then wa Alhamdulilah i started wearing the Jilbaab...Things got changed step by step...i felt am loving meself for the way i'm..felt that my only goal is to please Allah...always ask myself i'm i being good muslimah. my jilbaab let me hate the music, walahi ikhwaani you cant bileve what music will make you be, some people think its just fun and cool...in fact it will earse your shy side..it will make you say whatever and be whatever.
My co-workers was so suprised with my new attitude, i could see the hasitation of asking me what happened in them faces, i told them this is the way i should be and i'm even missing alot, Muslim woman should be covered. they showed the respect.

Alhamdulilah My jilbaab bring me the love to the Quran...i've got the interest of anything that belong to my (deen). I'm day and night saying alhamdulilah.


My sisters....have any one of you wear Niqaab..or trying to do so in the near future?

May Allah subhana wa ta'ala guide us to the right way.

Subhana Allah wa bihamdih....Subhana Allah Al-adiim...

MasahAllah sis ... just shows even though pple r on the wrong traks .. just by adopting the Islamic Clothing .. People change their lifestyles and their Attitude . sum may not notice but slowlyy they come to realisee ..
ive heard lots of sisters sayin .. they cant wear Nikaab or Jilbab ..coz they do bad stuff n so they r not ready 4 it .. well thats wrng .. sisters dnt have to be FIRST all GOOD in order to adopt Hijaab .. i GUARANTEE as soon as a sister Adopts Hijaab their Attitude changes automatically.. n SIS MUSLIMAh is one of the examples .. SUbhaNAllah ..

as for Niqaab .. thats the Last step.. but SubhanAllah Sisters do get there at the end ... its AMAZING... NIKAAB completely STOPS u from DOING any WRng things .. because those who wear nikaab they need to be Extra careful.. coz one NIKAABI can change the opponents VIEW WITHIN a good/bad DEED they do ..
if a Person sees a nIKAABI sCREAMIN loudly n laughin n doing silly things .. than that Image will apply to alll the Nikabis ( which is nt GOOD aT ALL) the Person on the street will go n tell others that the NIKAABISSS are no good .. the person wnt mention of a particular NIkaabi .. but will TALK abt all the NIKAABIs ..not just who do nIkaab but those in hijaab as wel. so inshAllah us Muslimahs should set a Good Example when we go out ....
so no other people can raise a finger on ISLAM ..
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Asalaamu Alikum Sisz and broz

Mashallah Mashallah my dear sisterz..

I desire fearing the (hell) Fire is diligent in da way u wearin da Hijaab for the rewards of life hereafter ..

Mashallah we are to follow the sunnah of our beloved Rasulullah
from head to toe.... dat is our dutiz as a creater womenz

Remember true success is not about having lots of friendz,
In fact, it is about passing Allah's tests
Happiness is not about showing off your generous part
In fact, it's about the ATTITUDE of your heart..

May Allah Bless us all Amiin Amiin Amiin
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
01-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Masha Allah! Insha Allah i plan to wear the niqaab full time oneday my Allah give me the ability to do so! I find that wearing the niqaab stops you from doing alot of haram things. Ppp just look and look at you but its a form of doing dawah! Its something amazing really.
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by ProudMuslimah
Masha Allah! Insha Allah i plan to wear the niqaab full time oneday my Allah give me the ability to do so! I find that wearing the niqaab stops you from doing alot of haram things. Ppp just look and look at you but its a form of doing dawah! Its something amazing really.
i know.. i know da feelin,,, inshallah i wear da niqaab one day inshallah.. is a wish,, and i wanted to become a realiy.. inshallah..

i might start it on da 18th of 02 -05 inshalllah,, dat day will be my birthday, i might start with Allah (swt)Bless,, pary 4 me sister

'I like who I am and I'm glad to be me I love being a ture Muslimah and Allah sets my heart free!I can feel in my mind and in my little heart bone I confess - with Allah around, I know I'm never alone'.


wha do u think sister Proud
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
01-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by 1_Of_Ur_Siss_In_Islam
i know.. i know da feelin,,, inshallah i wear da niqaab one day inshallah.. is a wish,, and i wanted to become a realiy.. inshallah..

i might start it on da 18th of 02 -05 inshalllah,, dat day will be my birthday, i might start with Allah (swt)Bless,, pary 4 me sister

'I like who I am and I'm glad to be me I love being a ture Muslimah and Allah sets my heart free!I can feel in my mind and in my little heart bone I confess - with Allah around, I know I'm never alone'.


wha do u think sister Proud
Masha Allah sis thats great news! May Allah make it easy for you! Ameen! I just do it when the feelin is right and your intentions are clear (for the sake of Allah only)!
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by ProudMuslimah
Masha Allah sis thats great news! May Allah make it easy for you! Ameen! I just do it when the feelin is right and your intentions are clear (for the sake of Allah only)!
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
01-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by ProudMuslimah
Masha Allah sis thats great news! May Allah make it easy for you! Ameen! I just do it when the feelin is right and your intentions are clear (for the sake of Allah only)!

the way that i wrote that message came out all wrong i meant you do it when the feeling is right :-[
Reply

WomanOfJihad
01-22-2005, 10:57 PM
:sl:

MashAlah Sis in Islam..i m really hAppy to hear about ur intentions of wearing the Nikaab .. ( gives her a HUG ) .. u just reminded me of a sister who is going to start wearing from her birthday as well inshAllah ...u Made my day sis .. inshAllah once u adopt nikaab . may u sTay Muqammal on it .. (InshAlah ) ..

ERR ..
Masha Allah! Insha Allah i plan to wear the niqaab full time oneday my Allah give me the ability to do so! I find that wearing the niqaab stops you from doing alot of haram things. Ppp just look and look at you but its a form of doing dawah! Its something amazing really.
as for you Sis MUSLIMAH .. i m waiting for that ONE DAY .. it better be soon insHallah .. like u said above .. we do it for the sake of Allah ..so y nt start earlier to PLease Allah swt .. we never know when we r going to die sis .. so insHAlah for the Pleasure of Allah better to have the niyyah sooner than later .. i'l do du'as 4 u .. : )
:w:
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by WomanOfJihad
:sl:

MashAlah Sis in Islam..i m really hAppy to hear about ur intentions of wearing the Nikaab .. ( gives her a HUG ) .. u just reminded me of a sister who is going to start wearing from her birthday as well inshAllah ...u Made my day sis .. inshAllah once u adopt nikaab . may u sTay Muqammal on it .. (InshAlah ) .. :w:

Oh did i remind u with one of ur sisterz...

Shkraan ,, lookin 4word 2 next month,, inshallah..

btw,, where is my Hug,,lol.. yaa i guess it's gana be flyin hug right alll da way from ur town.... nice one...

jz pary 4 me inshallah

Jazaakun Allahu Khiraah
Reply

Uma Rayanah
01-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Aslaamu Alikum

Just wanted to post this one in as inshallah there will alot sisters considering wearing niqaab( i'm inculded), May ALLAH give all sisters the IMAAN to wear it and for those wearing it to stay steadfast, AMEEN!!

Question :

I would like to know those verses in quran which talk about the covering of face by women as i need to show it few persons who want to know whether covering of face by women is compulsory or optional.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

You should note that women’s observing hijab in front of non-mahram men and covering their faces is something that is obligatory as is indicated by the Book of your Lord and the Sunnah of your Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and by rational examination and analogy.

1 – Evidence from the Qur’aan

(i)

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”

[al-Noor 24:31]

The evidence from this verse that hijab is obligatory for women is as follows:

(a) Allaah commands the believing women to guard their chastity, and the command to guard their chastity also a command to follow all the means of doing that. No rational person would doubt that one of the means of doing so is covering the face, because uncovering it causes people to look at it and enjoy its beauty, and thence to initiate contact. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The eyes commit zina and their zina is by looking…” then he said, “… and the private part confirms that or denies it.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6612; Muslim, 2657.

If covering the face is one of the means of guarding one’s chastity, then it is enjoined, because the means come under the same ruling as the ends.

(b) Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “…and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) …”. The jayb (pl. juyoob) is the neck opening of a garment and the khimaar (veil) is that with which a woman covers her head. If a woman is commanded to draw her veil over the neck opening of her garment then she is commanded to cover her face, either because that is implied or by analogy. If it is obligatory to cover the throat and chest, then it is more appropriate to cover the face because it is the site of beauty and attraction.

(c) Allaah has forbidden showing all adornment except that which is apparent, which is that which one cannot help showing, such as the outside of one's garment. Hence Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “…except only that which is apparent …” and He did not say, except that which they show of it. Some of the salaf, such as Ibn Mas’ood, al-Hasan, Ibn Sireen and others interpreted the phrase “except only that which is apparent” as meaning the outer garment and clothes, and what shows from beneath the outer garment (i.e., the hem of one’s dress etc.). Then He again forbids showing one’s adornment except to those for whom He makes an exception. This indicates that the second adornment mentioned is something other than the first adornment. The first adornment is the external adornment which appears to everyone and cannot be hidden. The second adornment is the inward adornment (including the face). If it were permissible for this adornment to be seen by everyone, there would be no point to the general wording in the first instance and this exception made in the second.

(d) Allaah grants a concession allowing a woman to show her inward adornments to “old male servants who lack vigour”, i.e. servants who are men who have no desire, and to small children who have not reached the age of desire and have not seen the ‘awrahs of women. This indicates two things:

1 – That showing inward adornments to non-mahrams is not permissible except to these two types of people.

2 – That the reason for this ruling is the fear that men may be tempted by the woman and fall in love with her. Undoubtedly the face is the site of beauty and attraction, so concealing it is obligatory lest men who do feel desire be attracted and tempted by her.

(e) The words (interpretation of the meaning): “And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment” mean that a woman should not stamp her feet so as to make known hidden adornments such as anklets and the like. If a woman is forbidden to stamp her feet lest men be tempted by what they hear of the sound of her anklets etc., then what about uncovering the face?

Which is the greater source of temptation – a man hearing the anklets of a woman whom he does not know who she is or whether she is beautiful, or whether she is young or old, or ugly or pretty? Or his looking at a beautiful youthful face that attracts him and invites him to look at it?

Every man who has any desire for women will know which of the two temptations is greater and which deserves to be hidden and concealed.

(ii)

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And as for women past childbearing who do not expect wedlock, it is no sin on them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show their adornment. But to refrain (i.e. not to discard their outer clothing) is better for them. And Allaah is All-Hearer, All-Knower”

[al-Noor 24:60]

The evidence from this verse is that Allaah states that there is no sin on old women who have no hope of marriage because men have no desire for them, due to their old age (if they discard their outer clothing), subject to the condition that their intention in doing so is not to make a wanton display of themselves. The fact that this ruling applies only to old women indicates that the ruling is different for young women who still hope to get married. If the ruling on discarding the outer clothing applied to all, there would be no point in singling out old women here.

The phrase “in such a way as not to show their adornment” offers further proof that hijab is obligatory for young women who hope to marry, because usually when they uncover their faces the intention is to make a wanton display (tabarruj) and to show off their beauty and make men look at them and admire them etc. Those who do otherwise are rare, and the ruling does not apply to rare cases.

(iii)

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah commanded the believing women, if they go out of their houses for some need, to cover their faces from the top of their heads with their jilbaabs, and to leave one eye showing.”

The tafseer of the Sahaabah is evidence, indeed some of the scholars said that it comes under the same ruling as marfoo’ reports that go back to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The comment “and leave one eye showing” is a concession because of the need to see the way; if there is no need for that then the eye should not be uncovered.

The jilbaab is the upper garment that comes above the khimaar; it is like the abaya.

(iv) Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is no sin on them (the Prophet’s wives, if they appear unveiled) before their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their brother’s sons, or the sons of their sisters, or their own (believing) women, or their (female) slaves. And (O ladies), fear (keep your duty to) Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Ever All-Witness over everything”

[al-Ahzaab 33:55]

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: When Allaah commanded the women to observe hijab in front of non-mahram men, he explained that they did not have to observe hijab in front of these relatives, as He explained that they are exempted in Soorat al-Noor where He said (interpretation of the meaning): “and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands…”

2 – Evidence from the Sunnah that it is obligatory to cover the face

(i)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When any one of you proposes marriage to a woman, there is no sin on him if he looks at her, rather he should look at her for the purpose of proposing marriage even if she is unaware.” Narrated by Ahmad. The author of Majma’ al-Zawaa’id said: its men are the men of saheeh.

The evidence here is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said there is no sin on the man who is proposing marriage, subject to the condition that his looking be for the purpose of proposing marriage. This indicates that the one who is not proposing marriage is sinning if he looks at a non-mahram woman in ordinary circumstances, as is the one who is proposing marriage if he looks for any purpose other than proposing marriage, such as for the purpose of enjoyment etc.

If it is said that the hadeeth does not clearly state what is being looked at, and it may mean looking at the chest etc, the response is that the man who is proposing marriage looks at the face because it is the focus for the one who is seeking beauty, without a doubt.

(ii)

When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded that women should be brought out to the Eid prayer place, they said, “O Messenger of Allaah, some of us do not have jilbaabs.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Let her sister give her one of her jilbaabs to wear.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim.

This hadeeth indicates that the usual practice among the women of the Sahaabah was that a woman would not go out without a jilbaab, and that if she did not have a jilbaab she would not go out. The command to wear a jilbaab indicates that it is essential to cover. And Allaah knows best.

(iii)

It was narrated in al-Saheehayn that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray Fajr and the believing women would attend the prayer with him, wrapped in their veils, then they would go back to their homes and no one would recognize them because of the darkness. She said: If the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw from the women what we have seen, he would have prevented them from coming to the mosques as the Children of Israel prevented their women.

A similar report was also narrated by ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him).

The evidence from this hadeeth covers two issues:

1 – Hijaab and covering were the practice of the women of the Sahaabah who were the best of generations and the most honourable before Allaah.

2 – ‘Aa’ishah the Mother of the Believers and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with them both), who were both known as scholars with deep insight, said that if the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had seen from women what they had seen, he would have prevented them from coming to the mosques. This was during the best generations, so what about nowadays?!

(iv)

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever lets his garment drag out of pride, Allaah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection.” Umm Salamah said, “What should women do with their hems?” He said, “Let it hang down a handspan.” She said, “What if that shows her feet?” He said, “Let it hang down a cubit, but no more than that.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

This hadeeth indicates that it is obligatory for women to cover their feet, and that this was something that was well known among the women of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them). The feet are undoubtedly a lesser source of temptation than the face and hands, so a warning concerning something that is less serious is a warning about something that is more serious and to which the ruling applies more. The wisdom of sharee’ah means that it would not enjoin covering something that is a lesser source of temptation and allow uncovering something that is a greater source of temptation. This is an impossible contradiction that cannot be attributed to the wisdom and laws of Allaah.

(v)

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came near us we would lower our jilbaabs from our heads over our faces, and when they had passed by we would uncover our faces. Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1562.

The words “When they came near us we would lower our jilbaabs from our heads over our faces” indicate that it is obligatory to cover the face, because what is prescribed in ihraam is to uncover it. If there was no strong reason to prevent uncovering it, it would be obligatory to leave it uncovered even when the riders were passing by. In other words, women are obliged to uncover their faces during ihraam according to the majority of scholars, and nothing can override something that is obligatory except something else that is also obligatory. If it were not obligatory to observe hijab and cover the face in the presence of non-mahram men, there would be no reason not to uncover it in ihraam. It was proven in al-Saheehayn and elsewhere that a woman in ihraam is forbidden to wear the niqaab (face veil) and gloves.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: This is one of the things which indicate that the niqaab and gloves were known among women who were not in ihraam, which implies that they covered their faces and hands.

These are nine points of evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah.

The tenth is:

Rational examination and analogy which form the basis of this perfect sharee’ah, which aims to help people achieve what is in their best interests and encourages the means that lead to that, and to denounce evil and block the means that lead to it.

If we think about unveiling and women showing their faces to non-mahram men, we will see that it involves many bad consequences. Even if we assume that there are some benefits in it, they are very few in comparison with its negative consequences. Those negative consequences include:

1 – Fitnah (temptation). By unveiling her face, a woman may be tempted to do things to make her face look more beautiful. This is one of the greatest causes of evil and corruption.

2 – Taking away haya’ (modesty, shyness) from women, which is part of faith and of a woman’s nature (fitrah). Women are examples of modesty, as it was said, “more shy than a virgin in her seclusion.” Taking away a woman’s modesty detracts from her faith and the natural inclination with which she was created.

3 – Men may be tempted by her, especially if she is beautiful and she flirts, laughs and jokes, as happens in the case of many of those who are unveiled. The Shaytaan flows through the son of Adam like blood.

4 – Mixing of men and women. If a woman thinks that she is equal with men in uncovering her face and going around unveiled, she will not be modest and will not feel too shy to mix with men. This leads to a great deal of fitnah (temptation) and widespread corruption. Al-Tirmidhi narrated (5272) from Hamzah ibn Abi Usayd from his father that he heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, when he was coming out of the mosque and he saw men mingling with women in the street; the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to the women, “Draw back, and do not walk in the middle of the road; keep to the sides of the road.” Then the women used to keep so close to the walls that their garments would catch on the walls because they kept so close to them.

Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 929

Adapted from the words of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Risaalat al-Hijaab.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
01-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by WomanOfJihad
:sl:

MashAlah Sis in Islam..i m really hAppy to hear about ur intentions of wearing the Nikaab .. ( gives her a HUG ) .. u just reminded me of a sister who is going to start wearing from her birthday as well inshAllah ...u Made my day sis .. inshAllah once u adopt nikaab . may u sTay Muqammal on it .. (InshAlah ) ..

ERR ..


as for you Sis MUSLIMAH .. i m waiting for that ONE DAY .. it better be soon insHallah .. like u said above .. we do it for the sake of Allah ..so y nt start earlier to PLease Allah swt .. we never know when we r going to die sis .. so insHAlah for the Pleasure of Allah better to have the niyyah sooner than later .. i'l do du'as 4 u .. : )
:w:
Insha Allah sis. Thanks 4 ur advice!
Reply

~AMIRA~
05-26-2006, 10:20 AM
yttr
Reply

Ayesha Rana
05-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Aww. Mahsa'Allah. May Allah reward you Amira. Thanks for all the evidence Uma ilyaas. It's hard to deny Allah's wisdom when you sound as though you don't care a bit what others think of you so long as you manage to portray the truth. Once they know it it's their problem.
Reply

hidden_treasure
05-27-2006, 02:08 PM
assalamu alaikum,

When i came to Islam, the hardest thing for me to do was wear hijab. I was so used to wearing revealing clothes...the shortest of everything. I knew hijab was right, but my eman was low. It wasnt until i really started to contemplate on life, that i made that next step.

I used to work very early mornings. I would catch the train before fajr, so i would sit there at the station and think about life. How would i answer Allah on the day of judgement??? was i too concerned with my looks, that i would disobey my Lord? and anyway i hated getting married men coming up to me flirting with me at work...so i prayed and prayed, asking Allah to help me.

I started wearing long hijab, and immediately changed my job.

Now alhamdulillah i am wearing nikab, and i really feel like a hidden treasure..no one can see me...they cannot flirt with me, rate me on a number from 1-10, they have no rights to me or my body...this is how i like it.

Yes i do get bad comments, but there are also people who want to know about my religion. No matter what, people will always find something to say about you...i am sick of wanting to please the people...i just want to please Allah.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 06:38 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 08:54 PM
  3. Replies: 142
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 06:43 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!