/* */

PDA

View Full Version : For reverts only ! Did you listen to the Quran before being a muslim

Makky
11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
:sl:
Please don't vote if you were born a muslim.
jazakum allahu kharian.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Makky
11-04-2007, 08:37 PM
If you have any stories about listening to the quran please post here

Kittygyal
12-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Salamualikum.

In a way i did, the shadah was recited and i repeated it. Although later by i did get presents of Qura'an audio's and Cd's which i still have Masha'Allaah. My first reciation audio was Qari-Basit by my Aalimah. I was delighted to listen to the sound of the way the Qari was reciting. Firstly i never took any notice of it and rather sit down and struggle to understand what has being said and at times i used to ponder and stress over why i wasn't a born Muslim first. Gradually when i got taught how to perform wu'dhu and read my salah thats the time when it really got to me and how i come form such a state to become a Muslim. Subhan'Allaah it was like a dream for me. When i first touched the Qura'an and saw the text inside i was surprised in seeing all the words and found it hard to believe i was a Muslim. It came to a standard where a friend of mine gave me an english translation Qura'an and thats when i got really deep into qura'an and started loosing music and everything which was useless. Alhamdulilah now i can NEVER give up listning to Qura'an or reciting it! ''WiThOuT qUrA'aN tHeReZ nOtHiNg,QuRa'An Iz, Ma LyF, Da WiZdOm Of Da QuRa'An,OnE wOrLd Of WiZdOm''

Now that im becoming an Aalimah and a huffaz the arabic words and english meaning of the Qura'an has affect vast amount of me. Im proud to be a Muslim and to have the oppoutunity to become an Aalimah and a huffaz. :cry:, Sometime i say to my self i don't deserve this at all... there's more people out there who deserve all this. :(

May Allaah guide us. Amin

Ma'assalama

amille40
12-22-2007, 06:24 AM
I didnt listen to recitations before I reverted, although I did read the Quran in book form. Actually, I wasnt familiar at all with any recitations until after I reverted and started to learn about Islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rabarbara2008
02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
salaam alaykum,
for me this option is true

"yes, i've listen to the Quran and it affected me in its arabic words"

however I was not affected by the Arabic words as I didn't understand Arabic. I was more affected by the tone, I guess. Don't know how else to say it.

------
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
:salamext:

Bump..

Woodrow
06-11-2008, 04:32 AM
I had read the Qur'an many times before reverting and had studied it as Arabic literature. I can say that eventually it was an appreciation for what I read that lead to my reverting. However, I can not recall hearing it recited very much before my reverting and can not attribute my reverting to hearing it, but to a large extent I attribute my reverting to reading it.

mutlib
08-12-2008, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I had read the Qur'an many times before reverting and had studied it as Arabic literature. I can say that eventually it was an appreciation for what I read that lead to my reverting. However, I can not recall hearing it recited very much before my reverting and can not attribute my reverting to hearing it, but to a large extent I attribute my reverting to reading it.
Uncle Abdullah MashaAllah i guess u r +70 so can u tell at which age did u revert to Islam.just a general taught
answer this and u will b bombarded by more question :D:D:D

shahrazad
08-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I did listen to it a little, but as I don't understand Arabic, it was the translation that affected me more... then it is similar to just reading the Qur'an. I think I'd have to learn Arabic in order to fully appreciate the recitations...

IslamLife00
12-19-2018, 07:26 AM
I remember an Islamic lecture, there is an ayat from the Qur'an mentioned (translated) and it made me curious about Islam.

eesa the kiwi
12-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

I'm not sure I even met a Muslim before converting. I wasnt given dawah or anything like that but one day I came across a copy of the Quran in a reading room. I picked it up and by the time I put it down I knew this was from my creator

So I emailed the local mosque and not long after converted into Islam alhamdulilah

The Quran is powerful subhanAllah

IslamLife00
06-06-2019, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IslamLife00
I remember an Islamic lecture, there is an ayat from the Qur'an mentioned (translated) and it made me curious about Islam.
I forgot to vote when I first posted this. I heard Qur'an before, but didn't affect me as I didn't know Arabic. I thought it was some kind of a song.
Several years later, I was watching lectures about economy, finance, banking etc
On the right bar, there are recommended video links of similar subject and one of these links led me to an Islamic lecture
I knew Islam is a religion, but didn't know anything else about it. The speaker mentioned ayat from the Qur'an but also translated and I became curious about Islam afterwards

Insaanah
06-06-2019, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

I'm not sure I even met a Muslim before converting. I wasnt given dawah or anything like that but one day I came across a copy of the Quran in a reading room. I picked it up and by the time I put it down I knew this was from my creator

So I emailed the local mosque and not long after converted into Islam alhamdulilah

The Quran is powerful subhanAllah
Wa alaikum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh. Subhaanallah.

May I ask a few questions? If so,

Do you remember which translation it was?
Did you read it through from the beginning like a book, or passages that took your interest but not necessarily in any order?
Do you remember if it had surah introductions to set the scene, background and context for each surah?
Had you been searching and thinking about faith and the purpose of life anyway before you came across this copy?
Jazaakallah khair.

eesa the kiwi
06-06-2019, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Wa alaikum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh. Subhaanallah.

May I ask a few questions? If so,

Do you remember which translation it was?
Did you read it through from the beginning like a book, or passages that took your interest but not necessarily in any order?
Do you remember if it had surah introductions to set the scene, background and context for each surah?
Had you been searching and thinking about faith and the purpose of life anyway before you came across this copy?
Jazaakallah khair.
The translation was sahih international
Initially I opened it at random but read it through not long after like a book
No it didn't really have background
I wouldn't say searching for purpose but my life was a mess I'd learned some really hard lessons in life so the day I came across it I was open and ready for the message of Islam . A couple of years earlier I dont think I would have been receptive

Barak Allah fikki

Mayameen
06-06-2019, 11:45 PM
Walaikum Salaam warahmatullah wabarakatuh
Masha'Allah! the beautiful different ways Allah guides people to Islam. I also do not remember seeing people in hijab or muslim garments. For myself and my family it started when I was a little girl with a movement called the million men march of October of 95. My mom sent my dad and 4 oldest brothers to the million men march because she thought it was going to be an historical event. While my mom, myself and 3 other brothers watched and recorded it on tv. We first heard the Adhan, than the speaker say ''In the name of Allah, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful.'' When my mom heard Allah's name she began to cry and said ''that's His name, I've been searching for Him all these years.'' We thought we were joining the nation of islam. But Allah had other plans for us. December 31, of 95 we left Chicago were I'm from and moved to Virginia. We arrived January 1, 1996,we kept driving around in circles looking for the nation's mosque. My mom advised my dad to ask gor directions. The person my dad asked was from the Sunnah, he took us to the masjid, which we kept circling and the Imam at that time gave us dawah and told us the conditions to become muslim. He asked if we understood, we said yes and He gave us our Shahadah. January 1, 1996 my family and I became muslim, I was 9 years old. Alhamdulillah! 23 years later Allah has blessed us to continue to worship Him and draw closer to Him. Masha'Allah!

Physicist
06-07-2019, 12:08 AM
I wasn't really reading Quran before convertion, only some searching through to check with my own thoughts, Couldn't read any scripture. When I already understood something, I was happy to see support for this in Quran, but couldn't get anything new from, only by talking with people and observing muslim lifestyle.

Only now, 5 monthes after my Shahada, I started enjoying reading Quran, not as ordinary book, but making my mind busy with tajweed, letting translation to sink in my subconscious:
1. I read translation of the ayat.
2. Listen proper recitation.
3. Recite it by myself.

In the beginning it was more of a struggle, like obligatory study. Now I'm getting hungry, wondering, what is in the next ayat, but keep it this way.

IslamLife00
06-07-2019, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=Physicist;
[/QUOTE]

I started enjoying reading the Qur'an after becoming a muslim as well

Physicist
06-09-2019, 06:03 PM
While reading Quran many times encountered ayats about disbelievers who will be ridiculing Messenger.

I think, if I would live in that time, perhaps I would be among them, not taking serious, demanding proves.
Luckily for me, I'm living in modern time, first, I've got all proves I needed, only after that I'm able to consider Quran seriously.

That makes me wonder:
Proportion of believers/disbelievers changes in time, as Islam's role getting more obvious. And regarding prophecy, in the end, majority will be muslims.
This seems kind of unfear toward those who were born earlier. Is any compensation for?
Like, as those who didn't receive message will be forgiven, perhaps more lenience toward earlier disbelievers and more reward to earlier believers than to latest ones?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.