/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do we have gardeners on board?

جوري
11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I was wondering if someone would recommend me a home plant that climbs on the window and at same time is very fragrant. keeping in mine that I live in the very cold part of the country, and though my window might get some sun rise, it it barely adequate to warm a plant, and I don't use heat as I actually have a personal preference to very cold temperature.

I have tried some cactus before but sadly they have met with a certain fate.. which was rather disconerting, since I always fancied them thriving on neglect... but I do promise I'll love dearly my next plant if someone can give me some pointers and make some recommendations...Also how to keep them insects and fungus free pls.. oh and most importantly ALIVE :D

thank you wa jazakoum Allah khyran

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
11-18-2007, 10:40 PM
:sl:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/
  1. Jasminum sambac "Maid of Orleans" -- easy to find, easy to grow, blooms year-round and smells great.
  2. Osmanthus fragrans -- Needs good moisture, but blooms at least half the year, and fragrant!
  3. Citrofortunella mitis -- easy to find in garden centers, takes lots of pruning and keeps on blooming
  4. Rondelettia splendens
  5. Murreya paniculata/exotica -- Very tough once it gets established, blooms year round, can be pruned to any shape.
  6. Hoya lacunosa -- a great plant with great scent, it just needs continuous moisture.
  7. Pelargoniums, rose lemon, nutmeg, or mint-scented -- not the greatest looking plants, but they root in water, grow almost anywhere.
  8. Brunfelsia 'Isola' -- a b. nitida hybrid from Logee's; lots of good things have been said about b. nitida on the forum, Isola blooms in flushes of terrific white/lavender turning to yellow flowers, and an intoxicating night scent.
  9. Begonia 'Honeysuckle' -- the fragrance is admittedly somewhat faint, but the plant is almost bulletproof, blooms all year, and the flowers taste great!
  10. Wrightia religiosa -- almost unknown until recently, sulks if it gets below 60, so it's hard to pull through the winter, but great dangling blossoms, excellent wafting fragrance, and can be pruned like crazy -- used a lot for bonsai in SouthEast Asia.
  11. Plumeria (dwarf cultivars) -- even these get big quickly, they need lots of sun and water when growing in the warm months, but there are few more spectacular, tropical -looking plants when they're flowering, and the scent is fantastic.
excerpted from: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/fragrant/

edit: I only have Pelargoniums (fragerant geranium), many different varities of ivy (Hedera) and a collection of wandering jew (Tradescantia)

Woodrow
11-18-2007, 11:11 PM

I can't believe I did not see this before. You are right about cactus, they can be very difficult to raise. some of the best house plants do not initially sound like they would make good house plants.

the easiest and most nearly indestructable plant is the so called airplane or spider plant. It grows down ward rather then upward so you hang it close to your highest curtain rod. It will soon produce long hanging streamers and many baby plants, you can cut off the babies and plant them in separate pots. the do have the unique ability to absorb pollutants from the air and thrive on them, so 2 pluses they purify the air and feed themselves. if that interest you I will try to find some info about them.

The problem is they have no fragerance, to offset that you set a dwarf gardenia below them.

This is capable of becoming a large shrub so to keep it as a potted house plant you need to trim it back anytime it gets too big.

NoName55
11-18-2007, 11:21 PM
I had about 30 at one time. and once got held-up away from home when I came back after 3 months house had been broken in to and all plant lying dead on floor watering tubes and matting scattered.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/Hort/Hor...variegated.jpg

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-18-2007, 11:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/
  1. Jasminum sambac "Maid of Orleans" -- easy to find, easy to grow, blooms year-round and smells great.
  2. Osmanthus fragrans -- Needs good moisture, but blooms at least half the year, and fragrant!
  3. Citrofortunella mitis -- easy to find in garden centers, takes lots of pruning and keeps on blooming
  4. Rondelettia splendens
  5. Murreya paniculata/exotica -- Very tough once it gets established, blooms year round, can be pruned to any shape.
  6. Hoya lacunosa -- a great plant with great scent, it just needs continuous moisture.
  7. Pelargoniums, rose lemon, nutmeg, or mint-scented -- not the greatest looking plants, but they root in water, grow almost anywhere.
  8. Brunfelsia 'Isola' -- a b. nitida hybrid from Logee's; lots of good things have been said about b. nitida on the forum, Isola blooms in flushes of terrific white/lavender turning to yellow flowers, and an intoxicating night scent.
  9. Begonia 'Honeysuckle' -- the fragrance is admittedly somewhat faint, but the plant is almost bulletproof, blooms all year, and the flowers taste great!
  10. Wrightia religiosa -- almost unknown until recently, sulks if it gets below 60, so it's hard to pull through the winter, but great dangling blossoms, excellent wafting fragrance, and can be pruned like crazy -- used a lot for bonsai in SouthEast Asia.
  11. Plumeria (dwarf cultivars) -- even these get big quickly, they need lots of sun and water when growing in the warm months, but there are few more spectacular, tropical -looking plants when they're flowering, and the scent is fantastic.
excerpted from: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/fragrant/

edit: I only have Pelargoniums (fragerant geranium), many different varities of ivy (Hedera) and a collection of wandering jew (Tradescantia)
Masha'Allah akhi..and Jazaka Allah khyran..do you know the first one you mention is actually Arabian Jasmine and it is one of the most fragrant I have ever smelled indeed.. in my old country, they would sell necklaces of Jasmine bud on the nile...I think they still do that... they can fill a whole house.. I haven't smelt a flower quite so fragrant since...:'(

I think I am going to google image some of those I don't think I have ever heard of them..( and I took botany in undergrad :embarrass)

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I can't believe I did not see this before. You are right about cactus, they can be very difficult to raise. some of the best house plants do not initially sound like they would make good house plants.

the easiest and most nearly indestructable plant is the so called airplane or spider plant. It grows down ward rather then upward so you hang it close to your highest curtain rod. It will soon produce long hanging streamers and many baby plants, you can cut off the babies and plant them in separate pots. the do have the unique ability to absorb pollutants from the air and thrive on them, so 2 pluses they purify the air and feed themselves. if that interest you I will try to find some info about them.

The problem is they have no fragerance, to offset that you set a dwarf gardenia below them.

This is capable of becoming a large shrub so to keep it as a potted house plant you need to trim it back anytime it gets too big.
Jazaka Allah khyran akhi.. I have got to look into those recommendation...do you think ebay is a good place to buy plants? I have convinced myself that the plant shops in the city are the ones sabotaging me by selling me ailing plants and that it was never my fault imsad:embarrass

NoName55
11-18-2007, 11:28 PM
and we call it Yasmeen in Urdu and I have the outdoor variety
I have convinced myself that the plant shops in the city are the ones sabotaging me by selling me ailing plants and that it was never my fault
no one can do wrong with spider plant as it just wants to live

and I will never buy plants from ebay or a department store but from dedicated garden shops, (even then I would sneak a peak at roots by turning plant upside down to see if its to dry or rotting through over-watering. also will re pot them after acclimatization to my home

جوري
11-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I had about 30 at one time. and once got held-up away from home when I came back after 3 months house had been broken in to and all plant lying dead on floor watering tubes and matting scattered.
Wow I am so sorry your house was broken into...

you need to invest in some vicious looking plants

Actually I think it is a big deal your house was broken into..I am not making light of the matter...Hope they caught the culprit insha'Allah... and you recovered your losseses?

Woodrow
11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Masha'Allah akhi..and Jazaka Allah khyran..do you know the first one you mention is actually Arabian Jasmine and it is one of the most fragrant I have ever smelled indeed.. in my old country, they would sell necklaces of Jasmine bud on the nile...I think they still do that... they can fill a whole house.. I haven't smelt a flower quite so fragrant since...:'(

I think I am going to google image some of those I don't think I have ever heard of them..( and I took botany in undergrad :embarrass)

Jazaka Allah khyran akhi.. I have got to look into those recommendation...do you think ebay is a good place to buy plants? I have convinced myself that the plant shops in the city are the ones sabotaging me by selling me ailing plants and that it was never my fault imsad:embarrass

I would not get plants on ebay. although I love ebay, the problem comes in because of shipping. Unless it is a buy now item, the plant can set around for a few weeks before it is shipped and delivered. it can be severly damaged in that time.

since i do not like to recommend any seller on a forum, I will PM you the links for some nurseries I have used and have had excellent results from.

جوري
11-18-2007, 11:36 PM
and we call it Yasmeen in urdu and I have the outdoor variety
In Egypt we call it FÔL..I am not quite sure how it differs from yasmine. Maybe it is sub family of yasmine or people just got used to not calling it by its proper name?

جوري
11-18-2007, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I would not get plants on ebay. although I love ebay, the problem comes in because of shipping. Unless it is a buy now item, the plant can set around for a few weeks before it is shipped and delivered. it can be severly damaged in that time.

since i do not like to recommend any seller on a forum, I will PM you the links for some nurseries I have used and have had excellent results from.
Shokran Akhi..I really look fwd to that

Woodrow
11-18-2007, 11:55 PM
and we call it Yasmeen in Urdu and I have the outdoor variety
no one can do wrong with spider plant as it just wants to live

and I will never buy plants from ebay or a department store but from dedicated garden shops, (even then I would sneak a peak at roots by turning plant upside down to see if its to dry or rotting through over-watering. also will re pot them after acclimatization to my home

That is very important advice. Many people, including myself forget the importance of re potting a house plant. Like you said let it acclimate to the house(about 2 months). To replant, let the soil dry some what, not bone dry but dry enough that you can not squeeze water out of it. Use a pot 1 to 2 sizes larger than the current one. Place about an inch of soil in the new pot, remove the plant from the old pot, trying not to disturb the roots. set the plant into the pot, try to center it. Add loose soil to fill the pot, gently water, ad more soil if needed after watering.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
11-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Those money plants always sounded good to me.

LOL@the plants with big teeth

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.