/* */

PDA

View Full Version : US Commander Embraces Islam!!!

-Asadullah-
11-05-2007, 12:11 AM
US commander converts to Islam
Sun, 04 Nov 2007

The US commander of International Security Assistance Force in the Andar district of Ghazni Province in Afghanistan has embraced Islam.

The commander of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) embraced Islam in the presence of 2,000 people on Thursday.

Cap. Cormier Michel - 45 - commands 300 ISAF troops in the Taliban-infested district. The Ghazni governor, district chief, provincial council members, local officials, elders, ISAF soldiers and students attended a ceremony marking the commander's conversion to Islam.

The ceremony, which lasted well over three hours, concluded with chants of 'Allah-o-Akbar (Allah is Great).

Cap. Michel, who changed his name to Abdul Wahed, started his brief speech with Bismillah (In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent and the most Merciful). During the last five years, Abdul Wahed pointed out, he had been studying Islamic books and he concluded that Islam is the first religion.

“Islam is a religion of peace and brotherhood, but terrorists and extremists are bringing a bad name to it," he noted.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
khairullah
11-14-2007, 07:14 AM
When comes the Help of God, and Victory, And you will see the people enter God's Religion (Islam) in crowds. Celebrate the praises of thy Lord, and pray for His Forgiveness: For He is Oft-Returning (in Grace and Mercy). [110:1-2-3]

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. Each year 20,000 American revert to Islam.

It is He Who has sent His Apostle with Guidance and the Religion of Truth, to proclaim it over all religion: and enough is God for a Witness. [048:028]

Gator
11-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Could you provide a working link from a reputible news source? On the topic of Islam & the US military, this might be of interest.

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/di...ellek0.8676874

Thanks.

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
How does this fit in light of the West's "War against Islam"? :hiding:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-14-2007, 05:56 PM
here is a link for his article

http://www.chowk.com/ilogs/64100/32808

simple google search can take care of that?
As for your article.. I am not sure how it is relevant? we are not speaking of how many Muslims are joining the millitary, rather of a millitary man who converted.

I'd frown upon a Muslim joining the forces to go kill other Muslims frankly, thus how many are in or out isn't a reflection on the rate of coversion!

cheers!

Gator
11-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Ummm...that link is a blog. Thanks though.

Any CNN, Al jezeera, BBC link?

You really have to be careful using the internet, PA. Sometimes things are dressed up like its real when its not.

I read it as more of a muslim in the US military thread as though that was unheard of, but to each his/her own I guess.

thanks.

جوري
11-14-2007, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
Ummm...that link is a blog. Thanks though.

Any CNN, Al jezeera, BBC link?

You really have to be careful using the internet, PA. Sometimes things are dressed up like its real when its not.

I read it as more of a muslim in the US military thread as though that was unheard of, but to each his/her own I guess.

thanks.
here is another source, not a blog.. I am not sure what you deem a satisfactory news source?:..under any circumstance, It really doesn't matter..titles such as these seem to only draw negativism from the predicted crowd, I always maintain that religiosity is a solo journey...though it is a personal belief of mine that God shall fulfill his promise!
http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?i...onid=351020403

and ummmmmmm thanks for the heads up about what is real and what is plain surreal.

I think the title is rather simple and self-explanatory, one commander embraces Islam. Yours I still read of the small percentage of Muslims in the millitary, and to that again, I say.. Thank God, I can't think of anything worst than a Muslim readying himself to kill another Muslim..

cheers!

sabah
11-14-2007, 07:04 PM
mashaallah, allah guides who he wills, u never no Tony Blair and Bush might follow!!!

جوري
11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sabah
mashaallah, allah guides who he wills, u never no Tony Blair and Bush might follow!!!
God forbid.. I know it is probably awful for me to say so..But I have never wished hell on anyone more than these two...I want them to have a taste for each life they have ruined/tortured or ended unjustly and eternally insha'Allah!

:w:

sabah
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
God forbid.. I know it is probably awful for me to say so..But I have never wished hell on anyone more than these two...I want them to have a taste for each life they have ruined/tortured or ended unjustly and eternally insha'Allah!

:w:
ya guess i agree with you sister, they have blood on their hands, in the search for oil. although allah is the greater judge.

NoName55
11-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Even though I do not frown upon any Muslim in Pakistan Armed forces who is having to or trying to eliminate the false mullah menace terrorising public, I would be wary of any new modern day Lawrence of Arabia seeing the light and becoming Muslim, it very well could be a PR exercise

Gator
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
here is another source, not a blog.. I am not sure what you deem a satisfactory news source
I figure one that has reporters and prints news instead of just picking up unsubstantiated reports without a byline. Again, I consider CNN, Al jezeera, BBC, AP or something like that. This one (PressTV) is suspect.

I have not been negative except for the validity of this report. I have no problem with US military members converting to Islam. There are a lot of of islamic members of the military and I'm sure conversions happen all the time. God bless them. I just have doubts about this report specifically. If it turns out to be true...good for him.

Thanks.

Whatsthepoint
11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khairullah
Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.
No it isn't. It's probably the fastest growing "ancient" religion though.

Whatsthepoint
11-14-2007, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Asadullah-
Sun, 04 Nov 2007

The US commander of International Security Assistance Force in the Andar district of Ghazni Province in Afghanistan has embraced Islam.

The commander of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) embraced Islam in the presence of 2,000 people on Thursday.

Cap. Cormier Michel - 45 - commands 300 ISAF troops in the Taliban-infested district. The Ghazni governor, district chief, provincial council members, local officials, elders, ISAF soldiers and students attended a ceremony marking the commander's conversion to Islam.

The ceremony, which lasted well over three hours, concluded with chants of 'Allah-o-Akbar (Allah is Great).

Cap. Michel, who changed his name to Abdul Wahed, started his brief speech with Bismillah (In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent and the most Merciful). During the last five years, Abdul Wahed pointed out, he had been studying Islamic books and he concluded that Islam is the first religion.

“Islam is a religion of peace and brotherhood, but terrorists and extremists are bringing a bad name to it," he noted.

Source
Good for him!
I don't quite get the part about Islam being the first religion...is it about Adam and Eve being muslim?

al-muslimah
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
What a lie this story must be a false one or this man really embraced Islam(alhamdulillah) and the kuffar changed the story>if he really embraced Islam why would he still be in the army and most of all fight mujahideen?

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-muslimah
What a lie this story must be a false one or this man really embraced Islam(alhamdulillah) and the kuffar changed the story>if he really embraced Islam why would he still be in the army and most of all fight mujahideen?
Is he fighting Mujahideen or terrorists? :muddlehea

Surly you don’t think there one and the same. :mad:

al-muslimah
11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes mujahideen and not terrorists.Go learn their meaning.Or do u want me to explain it for you??

al-muslimah
11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
U are right they aren't the same.duh.

جوري
11-14-2007, 08:30 PM
I figure one that has reporters and prints news instead of just picking up unsubstantiated reports without a byline. Again, I consider CNN, Al jezeera, BBC, AP or something like that. This one (PressTV) is suspect.

I have not been negative except for the validity of this report. I have no problem with US military members converting to Islam. There are a lot of of islamic members of the military and I'm sure conversions happen all the time. God bless them. I just have doubts about this report specifically. If it turns out to be true...good for him.

Thanks.
Three or four of five news sources with the same info. will ALWAYS be suspect, so long as you don't like the content. There is nothing anyone can do to remedy that. It is your opinion, to which of course you are so entitled but it bears little or no consequence. I don't tend to believe any news source as being distilled and truthful.. and that goes too for the two or three you mention as unassailable.

Conversions happen all the time. It might not be clustered in the millitary. But thousands embrace Islam yearly..
I hope he is a good Muslims and a fine example to his community and peers...

cheers!

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes mujahideen and not terrorists.Go learn their meaning.Or do u want me to explain it for you??
I know the difference, you didn't seam to though. :muddlehea

I assume he is fighting terrorists. :peace:

Why do you think he is fighting the Mujahideen? :thumbs_do

InToTheRain
11-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Mash'Allah :D Hope man pulls out of the army as there is a fine line between fighting those to protect their land and fighting extremists.

Again, I consider CNN, Al jezeera, BBC, AP or something like that. This one (PressTV) is suspect.
Nah, I don't think this is newsworthy material for them. If he apostatized and wrote a book however ....

Whatsthepoint
11-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Hundreds of silamic sites have articles about human body having 360 joints... Quantity does not equal quality. I think all sites that have posted the news so far are islamic...:smile:
Of course, that doesn't mean the commander did not embrace Islam, however we cannot be certain.

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.mfa.gov.af/detail.asp?Lan...t=5&ContID=450
ISAF commander in Ghazni embraces Islam
Posted On: Nov 03, 2007

ISAF commander in Ghazni embraces Islam

Cap. Cormier Michel (45) commands 300 ISAF troops in the Taliban-infested district. The Ghazni governor, district chief, provincial council members, local officials, elders, ISAF soldiers and students attended a ceremony marking the commanders conversion to Islam.

The ceremony that lasted well over three hours conclude with slogans Allah-o-Akbar (Allah is Great). Cap. Michel, who changed his name to Abdul Wahed, started his brief speech with Bismillah (In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent and the most Merciful.

During the last five years, Abdul Wahed pointed out, he had been studying Islamic books and he concluded that Islam is the first religion. Stationed in Ghazni for last the last 10 months, he was impressed with the behaviour of his translator.

In a chat with Pajhwok Afghan News, the captain remarked: "Islam is a religion of peace and brotherhood, but terrorists and extremists are bringing a bad name to it." After the ceremony, Abdul Wahed said he had informed his wife in the US about his acceptance of Islam.

It is amazing what 1 minute of research will find.

I consider CNN, Al jezeera, BBC, AP or something like that. This one (PressTV) is suspect.
Do you exclude all sources of knowledge? :?

al-muslimah
See he is fighting the Taliban, not the Mujahideen.

جوري
11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
co
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum

Knowledge isn't merely imbuing all that new sources throw out at you, as if you were an empty vessel willing to soak it all up.
You first have to start with proper schooling. Have a general idea of the socio-economic and geo-political condition of the world around you-- And balance what you read against what you have learned. It becomes an act of reconciliation.
very few people don't fall into the herd and being mass manipulated and that actually goes for both sides of the fence. This isn't just merely inherent aptitude.. if it were as easy as all that. everyone would be a scholar courtesy of google and in every field-- there would be no need for proper schooling or any form of critical analysis.

cheers!

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 09:05 PM
co

Knowledge isn't merely imbuing all that new sources throw out at you, as if you were an empty vessel willing to soak it all up.
You first have to start with proper schooling. Have a general idea of the socio-economic and geo-political condition of the world around you-- And balance what you read against what you have learned. It becomes an act of reconciliation.
very few people don't fall into the herd and being mass manipulated and that actually goes for both sides of the fence. This isn't just merely inherent aptitude.. if it were as easy as all that. everyone would be a scholar courtesy of google and in every field-- there would be no need for proper schooling or any form of critical analysis.

cheers!
So you need to be educated to read the news?

Maybe you need to read the news to be educated.

جوري
11-14-2007, 09:16 PM
So you need to be educated to read the news?

Maybe you need to read the news to be educated.
It depends on your perspective I suppose? :okay:
Do you need to be learned in English to read the news, or do you read the news to learn English? :shade:

cheerio

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
It depends on your perspective I suppose? :okay:
Do you need to be learned in English to read the news, or do you read the news to learn English? :shade:

cheerio
There surly are lots of non-English news sources out there.

I assume there are many.

But then I don't know. :skeleton: Since I don't read them. :D

al-muslimah
11-14-2007, 09:26 PM
al-muslimah

THE TALIBAN ARE THE MUJAHIDEEN I AM TALKING ABOUT.DUH.

al-muslimah
11-14-2007, 09:27 PM
who did you think i was talking about NATO.No i meant the taliban the so-called extremists and terroroists.they are the true mujahideen you are non-nuslim you wouldn't understand.sorry.

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 09:37 PM
al-muslimah

THE TALIBAN ARE THE MUJAHIDEEN I AM TALKING ABOUT.DUH.
I was right, you don't know the difference between terrorists and the Mujahideen. :uuh:

al-muslimah
11-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Like I said I wouldn't expect u to understand.

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Like I said I wouldn't expect u to understand.
I guess I don't understand.

When I think of the Mujahideen, I don't think of beating up women, blowing yourself up in markets or being drug lords.

Isambard
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I guess I don't understand.

When I think of the Mujahideen, I don't think of beating up women, blowing yourself up in markets or being drug lords.
I would argue that the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is entirely subjective. So I guess you can both be right...which isnt a good thing:omg:

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
I would argue that the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is entirely subjective. So I guess you can both be right...which isnt a good thing:omg:
Na, a freedom fighter fights for freedom not the ability to beat women and run drugs. :?

Isambard
11-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Na, a freedom fighter fights for freedom not the ability to beat women and run drugs. :?
They fight for that freedom. Would you consider the first Klu Klux Klan freedom fighters or terrorists? How about El Che and his revolutionaries?

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
They fight for that freedom. Would you consider the first Klu Klux Klan freedom fighters or terrorists? How about El Che and his revolutionaries?
Da. Want to ask a real question?

Isambard
11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Da. Want to ask a real question?
That was a real question. by what criteria do you differentiate a terrorist from a freedom fighter?.

If its one strives for freedom, freedom from what and for whom are important questions.

Gator
11-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Three or four of five news sources with the same info. will ALWAYS be suspect, so long as you don't like the content.
I have no problem with the content.

So every bogus report reiterated by a few blogs is true. Ok.

Thanks.

Gator
11-15-2007, 02:50 PM

It is amazing what 1 minute of research will find.
this news line here is just a repost of other sources. They didn't substantiate.

Well, you see the internet and news in general is tricky and not all people tell the truth. A possilby bogus report pops up and all of a sudden it reiterated on a few blogs and people start believing it. The story sounds fishy to me. Again I have no problem with the content.

There's tons of horrible bias if not outright lies. So you have discount sources of news like World Net Daily or National Enquirer (though I love it).

That's why news organizations take their reputation seriously. So I'm discerning about sources of news.

I also did not regulate it to only those mentioned as well.

جوري
11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
I have no problem with the content.

So every bogus report reiterated by a few blogs is true. Ok.

Thanks.
I don't... you are the best judge of what you read... again it doesn't concern me what you deem true or not.. You are no political analyst, and my suspicion is you are no epidemiologist either running around counting accuracy of reports to some committee... Thus again and with any hope for the last time I say what you deem 'bogus' or not is of little or no consequence to me...

cheers!

wilberhum
11-15-2007, 05:50 PM
this news line here is just a repost of other sources. They didn't substantiate.

Well, you see the internet and news in general is tricky and not all people tell the truth. A possilby bogus report pops up and all of a sudden it reiterated on a few blogs and people start believing it. The story sounds fishy to me. Again I have no problem with the content.

There's tons of horrible bias if not outright lies. So you have discount sources of news like World Net Daily or National Enquirer (though I love it).

That's why news organizations take their reputation seriously. So I'm discerning about sources of news.

I also did not regulate it to only those mentioned as well.

If you look at any sight closely, there bias or lack of it becomes obvious.

But then we have several here that think Youtube is a good source of information. :skeleton:

Jayda
11-15-2007, 08:36 PM
who did you think i was talking about NATO.No i meant the taliban the so-called extremists and terroroists.they are the true mujahideen you are non-nuslim you wouldn't understand.sorry.
then explain for us...

north_malaysian
11-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Most non-Muslims know about Islam and Muslims from Non-Muslim sources and views... in fact most of them never meet a Muslim...

It's not surprising if they converted to Islam after a real encounter with Islam and the Muslims.

When the Kings of Europe sent crusaders to liberate the Levant... some of the Crusaders embraced Islam during those crusade missions in the Levant.

One of those groups are known as Sullubiyah ("little crusaders") which their descendants live in the northern part of Saudi Arabia... they have blue eyes.. Muhammad Asad did mention about them in his book "Road to Mecca".

barney
11-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I love the spin!
He's a Commander of ISAF!.

He's a sodding Captain! I mean a Captain! LMAO. Thats hilarious.

All power to the guy, if that floats his boat then fine. I hope he finds his inner peace.
I just love the way that this is portrayed and suddenly , because some Second-from-the-bottom-rank-officer has converted, suddenly GW Bush and Tony are going to submit to Allah's might? Causing even P.A's reknown love for all humanity to be streched!

Al-muslimah, perhaps its a bit of a throw, but ...as a US Officer, this man is protecting the ummah from Muslims who would sin against allah, (breaking his commandment not to kill the innocent) with their Car Bombs, suicide vests and Hijacked freaking Airliners.

I hope that this officer manages to save many more muslim lives, just like he no doubt did during Kosovo and Somalia.

جوري
11-16-2007, 12:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Causing even P.A's reknown love for all humanity to be streched!
There is no such word as 'reknown'
once again irony is wasted here with your inability to deliver a significant punch line. Try again slugger, so that we can collectively recoil from your forceful wisdom...

You leave me no choice but to enjoy mocking you in this world, when we should only save ourselves to mock you in the hereafter insha'Allah ey?..

cheerio

barney
11-16-2007, 12:21 AM
There is no such word as 'reknown'
once again irony is wasted here with your inability to deliver a significant punch line. Try again slugger, so that we can collectively recoil from your forceful wisdom...

You leave me no choice but to enjoy mocking you in this world, when we should only save ourselves to mock you in the hereafter insha'Allah ey?..

cheerio

You do realise im crying real tears now?
Will you join me in the hope that this US Officer saves Muslim lives? Yes or No? ( you can even add some medical stuff if you give me a yes or no answer:D

جوري
11-16-2007, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
You do realise im crying real tears now?
Will you join me in the hope that this US Officer saves Muslim lives? Yes or No? ( you can even add some medical stuff if you give me a yes or no answer:D
what are you talking about? must you clutter every thread with nonsense like an arrant fool?

barney
11-16-2007, 12:39 AM
A "YES!"
Hooray! You gave me a straight answer!

I'm so glad you agree with me!. Lets hope that US Officer prevents some market bombing muslim sinner dealing death to the ummah this very night!
Because of him and his men, Innocents will live when they would have died.
Interesting how his job and actions change so much upon reversion?

It gladdens the heart when two people so seperate in ways can unite in a common cause!.

Grace Seeker
11-16-2007, 09:23 PM
A man is reported to have done something that gives hope for more understanding between different groups of people. Repeatedly people pray for peace, sing songs or shout slogans saying to "give peace a chance", and yet when an event occurs that might be a sign of the possibility for peace to succeed, what do we have here on our own beloved forum....a war of words breaks out.

I truly don't understand where all the virulence and enmity comes from.

barney
11-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Human nature? Religion?

Jayda
11-17-2007, 10:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Asadullah-
Sun, 04 Nov 2007

Source
hola

why did the ceremony last three hours? muslims believe that you need only say the shahadah right?

wilberhum
11-18-2007, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
hola

why did the ceremony last three hours? muslims believe that you need only say the shahadah right?
Why does it take over an hour to say "I do"? :-\

barney
11-18-2007, 10:21 PM

He followed it with a "Miller Time!" and the ceromony only ended when he passed out clingfilmed to a lamppost.

Grace Seeker
11-19-2007, 02:21 AM
OK. We've had the smart aleck answers, now are there any sensible ones? I figure that maybe in some circumstances there is some type of celebration involved in recognizing this sort of decision. Maybe it even varies from one culture to another within Islam? I don't know. But I would be interested in learning more about it.

Jayda
11-19-2007, 03:33 PM
si,

this is a good point... i suppose when it comes to life changing experiences the importance of even a few words cannot be understated and celebrated enough.

que Dios te bendiga

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.