/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Where do you eat?

~Taalibah~
11-05-2007, 08:44 PM
:sl:
So, where do you generally eat on the floor or the table, which do you like better? Just curious to see which is more common.:okay:
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-05-2007, 09:07 PM
on the table of course unless I am eating out at
http://www.bamiyan.com/
in which case sitting on floor is a nice novelty

amille40
11-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Ive never eaten on the floor...though Id love to go to a restaurant and try it!

جوري
11-05-2007, 09:11 PM
say baltimore is not far away from NY.. come to NY and try it..
though you have your own nice afghani food resturants on charles street no? called the hellmond or something.. got to look it up.. that bamyian house, has wonderful shish kebob, wonderful potato samosas in mint yogurt sauce and rose tea called shir shay.. or coconut coffee.. mmmm haven't been there for a while but have been frequenting it since I was in high school..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-05-2007, 09:15 PM
found it here
http://www.msac.org/artists.cfm?sec=Artists&id=298

I miss MD especially baltimore sometimes, I made really great friends there and it had a different flavor from NY.. love the crab cakes...
Also I think you have the biggest islamic library but I am not sure where it is located or what it is called.. =(

islamic
11-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I eat on the table BUT there were times before when I was eating on the floor.
Both are good :-) so wherever you eat, you have to start with Bismilah :) and to finish with Elhamdulilah and good dua to Allah.

amille40
11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
found it here
http://www.msac.org/artists.cfm?sec=Artists&id=298

I miss MD especially baltimore sometimes, I made really great friends there and it had a different flavor from NY.. love the crab cakes...
Also I think you have the biggest islamic library but I am not sure where it is located or what it is called.. =(

I have had some food from the afghan restaurants around...very good. Overall I think baltimore has great food of all different types.

Ive never heard of an islamic library being here...Ill have to look for it!

جوري
11-05-2007, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amille40

Ive never heard of an islamic library being here...Ill have to look for it!
I really wish you'd.. it is more of a warehouse, found it by mere chance once... in fact they have books that are out of print every where else.. a gem of a place, but unfortunately I don't remember its name or even where in MD so I can look again for it. Hate doing a google search, I get a thousand anti-Islamic sites and none of what I am looking for :offended:

amille40
11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I'll poke around and see what I can dig up. ;)

~Taalibah~
11-05-2007, 10:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
say baltimore is not far away from NY.. come to NY and try it..
though you have your own nice afghani food resturants on charles street no? called the hellmond or something.. got to look it up.. that bamyian house, has wonderful shish kebob, wonderful potato samosas in mint yogurt sauce and rose tea called shir shay.. or coconut coffee.. mmmm haven't been there for a while but have been frequenting it since I was in high school..

You are making me hungry! lol!;D

format_quote Originally Posted by amille40
Ive never eaten on the floor...though Id love to go to a restaurant and try it!
You could try it at home too, i do!:D

Umm Hurairah
11-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Asalaamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu,

The only times I eat at tables is when I'm at a restaurant or at a person's house and they eat on the table so as not to appear rude I do so as well. :D:D:D Otherwise I alwayz eat on the floor as it is sunnah. :D:D:D

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

*~ The Prophet never took his meals at a dining table,
nor in small plates, and he never ate thin well-baked bread. (The sub-narrator asked Qatada, "Over what did they use to take their meals?" Qatada said, "On leather dining sheets." ~*

Bukhari: Volume 7, Book 65, Number 326

S_87
11-06-2007, 11:14 PM

both though at the moment mostly the floor i guess.

Nabooly
11-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Sometimes, if there are no chairs or tables available :P

:)

sapphire
11-06-2007, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

both though at the moment mostly the floor i guess.
same here.^ mainly floor but if someones going to come to our house we eat on the table so its easier to clean up, plus my mum is a registered blind so she finds it easier usuing the table for certain foods.

i dont really see a difference apart from its sunnah eating on the floor.

thydavidcome
11-07-2007, 04:54 AM
I hate eating on the floor its bad for you posture and God for bid if you spill your drink..

Abdul-Raouf
11-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Couldn vote.. needed a 3rd choice....

* At home..I do eat most of the time on floor on a mat.. and rarely i eat on table.....

* Outside/ other places- school-college... mostly i eat on table.....

~Taalibah~
11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Couldn vote.. needed a 3rd choice....
I've tried before and again now, but i don't have the options to add another option in the poll.

~Taalibah~
11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
I eat on the floor too.

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Hurairah

The only times I eat at tables is when I'm at a restaurant or at a person's house and they eat on the table so as not to appear rude I do so as well.
Ditto!

Umm Safiya
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
:salamext:

At home, I eat on the floor, sometimes I sit on the couch.. We don't even have a table in the house..

Pk_#2
11-07-2007, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Safiya

At home, I eat on the floor, sometimes I sit on the couch.. We don't even have a table in the house..
That's different ^^, :D

Naah ma food doesn't go down without the table, :X :hiding::hmm:

~Taalibah~
11-08-2007, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Safiya
We don't even have a table in the house..
:D We have a table in the kitchen which we work on and for my grand parents!

------
11-08-2007, 02:26 PM

Both lol, depends if there are guests around or not, and the available space :D :lol:

Umm Safiya
11-08-2007, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
:D We have a table in the kitchen which we work on and for my grand parents!
Well, yeah, we have those table in the kitchen where you prepare your food on.. But thats it.. :D

Camomilla
11-08-2007, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha

You could try it at home too, i do!:D
me too :D
but I usually eat on the table, sometimes on the floor...not always

Al-arabi
11-08-2007, 06:06 PM
the truth is I eat on table
but cuz we r all muslim ,its better to eat on the ground cuz prophet muhammed did , and it makes u more thankful to god for what he gave u .

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
salaamu alaikum

ive always been eating on the table, but it's Sunnah to eat on the floor, Wallahu 'Alam.

wasalaamu alaikum

Talha777
11-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I tend to eat on the table, but since it is sunnat to eat on the floor I think I will start doing so, insha Allah. Sunnat takes precedence over desires and comfort.

Ali.
11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Table; I don't like eating on the floor, my back hurts and I don't relax as much :).

Danah
11-08-2007, 08:31 PM
on the floor of course, it is the tradtional way to eat in our family and on my country too.
sometimes if I am eating alone, I am eating on the table but the floor seems to be more comfortable

~Taalibah~
11-09-2007, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
on the floor of course, it is the tradtional way to eat in our family and on my country too.
sometimes if I am eating alone, I am eating on the table but the floor seems to be more comfortable
I think when you get used to sitting on the floor it gets sort of awkward to sit at the table!

IbnAbdulHakim
11-09-2007, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Hurairah

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

*~ The Prophet never took his meals at a dining table,
nor in small plates, and he never ate thin well-baked bread. (The sub-narrator asked Qatada, "Over what did they use to take their meals?" Qatada said, "On leather dining sheets." ~*

Bukhari: Volume 7, Book 65, Number 326
Alhamdulillah, thing is the prophet never had a table. Tables a luxury, but im wondering if the prophet had a table would he eat on the floor lol?

then again the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam never sat in a chair right?!

i wish we could throw away all chairs and tables :blind:

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

ps: im sitting on a chair right now :hiding:

IbnAbdulHakim
11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thydavidcome
I hate eating on the floor its bad for you posture and God for bid if you spill your drink..
lol yeah its bad if you have carpet, its ok if its wood though right?

lol

Assalamu Alaikum

~Taalibah~
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

lol

Assalamu Alaikum
Its better if you put a mat or blanket and then sit. It helps balance the glasses etc.

Ayesha Rana
11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Assalamu-alaikum people!

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

lol

Assalamu Alaikum
lol we have a carpet but it\\\'s never been a problem-specially if u spoon the drink off it first haha!

Since we moved we haven\\\'t brought a dining table cos we dnt use one n it\\\'ll just take up space. And i agree with sis Sabeeha-once ur used to the floor, a table seems strange. A bit like trying to drink standing up... i just can\\\'t
wassalam

Re.TiReD
11-09-2007, 03:50 PM
:salamext: it just depends, if we're eating with an older person, somebody who finds it difficult to sit on the floor we use the table, if not its the floor :) goin out to eat inabiT Insha'Allah, so gonna be table...wouldnt mind it being the floor tho, just to see what its like :D

sevgi
11-09-2007, 04:01 PM
im a table person...

i like the organisation and structure it implies...

one feels the need to conform to some form of ettiquite...

the floor destablises ones grounds for civil conversation...lol...uve got too much leg room to act refined.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-09-2007, 04:04 PM
^ lol on the floor we tuck our feet up under our legs !

honestly we attended a gathering the other day where we all sat in a circle and ate on the floor, it was great! i love eating on the floor!!

assalamu alaikum

Re.TiReD
11-09-2007, 04:06 PM
need to change the poll to 'both' option :) lol yeah floor is great :D

sevgi
11-09-2007, 04:06 PM
^^ye me too...it promotes equality and humblemess...

the benality of food is really brought to life...

just a bunch a humans eating coz theyre hungry...

~Taalibah~
11-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm going to pm a mod to see if another option can be added in the poll.
format_quote Originally Posted by Ayesha Rana
Assalamu-alaikum people!
lol we have a carpet but it\\\'s never been a problem-specially if u spoon the drink off it first haha!
Lol! Its nice to know that someone else does it too!

anhar786
11-09-2007, 08:56 PM
well mostly on the table, rarely on floor:)

~Taalibah~
11-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Alright, Jazakallah to Sis Zaara, we have a both option in the poll. So whoever couldn't vote, can now.

Esther462
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I eat off a table when I'm at my parents house or when I'm round at a friends house or at college when it raining but most of the time when I'm at home or it's a nice day at college, I eat off my lap. When I'm at home I also eat off a tray on my lap or a custion depending on what I can lay my hands on and most of the time I'm eatting in frount of the TV too.

*KB*
11-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Assalamualaykum

I sit on the table sometimes but prefer the floor as it is sunnat.:) (and i'm used to it as i have done it most of my life).

All throughout Ramadhan me and my family sat on the floor to eat (of course there was big cloth under us lol) it was really nice Marsha'Allah how the family got together and ate!

Assalamualaykum
*KB*
:coolious:

*~Sofia~*
11-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Salams,

Me and my family ate on the floor until a few years ago when we finally purchased a table :D

Eating on the floor is ok, it's just sometimes it hurts..like when u sit on wooden floor!

I prefer eatin on the table tho :X just more comfortable i guess

W'salam
x

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
i always prefer eating at the table and sitting upright... i find it quite hard to eat sitting on the floor and leaning over the plate as im quite clumsy sometimes... especially with pasta :p

qassy!
12-25-2007, 02:42 AM
I sit on the table and eat but when it comes to family gatherings we sit on floor all allthough I find it hard!

north_malaysian
12-25-2007, 05:12 AM
Both...

But I prefer to eat at the dining table.

I sit on the floor for feasts organised by the mosques... and when on the beach I eat by sitting on the beach...

Talib_Rayhan
12-25-2007, 08:10 AM

Ive eat sat on the floor for most of my life, I think it came from a need to watch PlayDays as a very young child (Yep, I said it, PLAYDAYS!)

truemuslim
12-26-2007, 05:55 AM
well i eat american food on the table like whopper or sumthin good...but SOMETIMES i eat arabian food on the floor...or american on the floor... but thats only when i play on the video game...

H@fiz Aziz
12-27-2007, 04:30 AM
on the floor

u eat a whopper?

Ibn_Idris
12-27-2007, 07:22 AM
i eat on the ground like the prophet usually did.

adeeb
12-27-2007, 07:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
I sit on the table and eat but when it comes to family gatherings we sit on floor all allthough I find it hard!
me too,

but i don't find it hard... i like it so much :statisfie

truemuslim
12-27-2007, 08:43 PM
^^^ me 2

mpadc
12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
floor :)

truemuslim
12-28-2007, 08:28 PM
no i eat american food (whopper) on the table...unless i am playin xbox...

im lazy aint i...

jk im not.. im not fat either... i dont even wiegh 115 pounds... and no im not one of those skinnny tiny ladies..girls...whatever...

wowi m getting hungry thinkin bout bk... mmmmmm...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!