/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to walk?

Abdul-Raouf
11-06-2007, 02:33 AM
How did our Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) walked..?

Plz provide authentic reports.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul-Raouf
11-07-2007, 03:56 AM
I have heard that sunnah way is to walk in wide manner good gap between legs..with short steps...

Does anyone have the hadith...?

~Taalibah~
11-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I'll look for a hadith later Insha'Allah. I think it is also said that Rasulullah Salallahu-Alayhi-wasallam used to walk "briskly".

Umm Hurairah
11-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Asalaamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu,

This was the only one I could find:

Anas bin Malik (RA) reports, "Rasullullah (SA) was of a medium stature, he was neither very tall nor very short. He was very handsome, of medium built and his hair was neither very curly nor very straight (but was slightly wavy). He had a wheat-colored complexion. When he walked, he leaned forward slightly".

Al-Tirmidhi
Insha Allah I'll look again when I get a chance.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Taalibah~
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
When walking Rasulullah Salallahu'Alayhi wasallam:
-never caused any person to move from his path.
-He used to lift his feet with so much vigour as if ascending a high place and when placing the feet on the ground he used to lower it in such a manner as if descending.
Tirmidhi

snakelegs
11-07-2007, 07:52 PM
are you supposed to try to imitate the prophet in everything?
i thought it was only in regards to religious practice, since he was the finest example to follow.

~Taalibah~
11-07-2007, 08:08 PM
He was the finest example to follow in everything. Everything Rasulullah Salallahu'Alayhi Wasallam did is called the Sunnat and Muslims should follow it.

Ghira
11-07-2007, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
are you supposed to try to imitate the prophet in everything?
i thought it was only in regards to religious practice, since he was the finest example to follow.
Yes we imitate everything he did out of love, honour, and most importantly he (saw) was the best of creation!!! That is why as Muslim everything can be an act of worship that includes eating, waking up, the way you say salaam, the way you treat others, even having intercourse with your wife you can get a good deed for that. Our purpose in life is to gain the pleasure of our Creator by following what He has prescribed for us and following example of the last Messenger in the best way we can.

The Prophet walked as if he was walking (not running) down a hill. His body was leaning forward. His pace was so fast that some companions complained and said we can't keep up with you. SubhanAllah I love him so much (saw).

When the ayah was revealed
"Oh you who believe! Do not put yourselves forward before Allah and His Messenger; but be conscious of Allah for Allah is All-hearing, all-knowing."

My teacher said the meaning of this is do not put your opinions and desires in front of what Allah (swt) and Messeger (saw) who have already spoken about the issue. Don't say well that is what they think, I think... You are allowed to think but not to think your ideas, wants, desires are better than what Allah and Messenger have already prescribed.

The companions took that literally and started to walk behind the Prophet (saw). I thought that was interesting and wanted to share.

thydavidcome
11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
But remember it isnt required to walk like he did. For example Im 6'5 walking while slightly leaning foward is very uncomfortable. Here is most likely the case. He walked in a way were he wouldn't effect anyone (not to slow to hold people up) and not to fast (to push them).

Ghira
11-07-2007, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thydavidcome
But remember it isnt required to walk like he did. For example Im 6'5 walking while slightly leaning foward is very uncomfortable. Here is most likely the case. He walked in a way were he wouldn't effect anyone (not to slow to hold people up) and not to fast (to push them).
The description of "leaning forward" is to show that he walked fast as if you are walking down a hill. He was not slow walker as some people may think. He (saw) was a man with a mission and he did not have time to walk slow. With his duties and responsibilities I think all Prophets walked fast because they had a mission to complete. I personally had to 'learn' how to walk and improved my life more because I walk a lot faster now and don't waste time walking. The amount of walking I do it does add up and causes a waste in time. Yes, it is sunnah (optional) to walk like him. If you do I think it will be for your own benefit. Allahu 'alim.

snakelegs
11-08-2007, 01:10 AM
thanks for your replies, sabeeha and ghira. makes sense re: respect.
for some reason i thought it was limited to religious practice. i should've known better, but didn't.

Abdul-Raouf
11-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Love ALLAH.. Love HIS messenger...and follow HIS messenger... Prophet Muhammad (SAS)..

Alhamdulillah

thydavidcome
11-08-2007, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghira
The description of "leaning forward" is to show that he walked fast as if you are walking down a hill. He was not slow walker as some people may think. He (saw) was a man with a mission and he did not have time to walk slow. With his duties and responsibilities I think all Prophets walked fast because they had a mission to complete. I personally had to 'learn' how to walk and improved my life more because I walk a lot faster now and don't waste time walking. The amount of walking I do it does add up and causes a waste in time. Yes, it is sunnah (optional) to walk like him. If you do I think it will be for your own benefit. Allahu 'alim.
Thank you for explaining it better. Yes, I too walk fast, I don't enjoy wasting my time by walking slow.

Once again thanks, I learned something new today

Ummu Sufyaan
11-08-2007, 02:34 AM
:sl:
this is interesting. i thought the way he walked was something natural, not something by choice. i never considered it to be the former. but if im wrong, let me know.

Ummu Sufyaan
11-08-2007, 05:28 AM
really? what makes you so sure.
im saying that i was of he opinion that it had something to do with his (sallalahu allehyi wa salams) nature, but after reading this thread, it got me thinking, that perhaps there is something more to it.
wether it has to do with the relgion or otherwise, its still possible to authenticate or not. whats his (sallalahu allehyi wa salams) look, for exampe have to do with the religion.
‘Ali bin Abi Talib describing him said: “The Messenger of Allâh (Peace be upon him) was neither excessively tall nor extremely short. He was medium height among his friends. His hair was neither curly nor wavy. It was in between. It was not too curly nor was it plain straight. It was both curly and wavy combined. His face was not swollen or meaty-compact. It was fairly round. His mouth was white. He had black and large eyes with long haired eyelids. His joints (limbs) and shoulder joints were rather big. He had a rod-like little hair extending from his chest down to his navel, but the rest of his body was almost hairless. He had thick hand palms and thick fingers and toes. At walking, he lifted his feet off the ground as if he had been walking in a muddy remainder of water. When he turned, he turned all. The Prophethood Seal was between his s houlders. He is the Seal of Prophets, the most generous and the bravest of all.
Ar-Raheeq Al-Makhtum
(The Sealed Nectar)
By Saifur Rahman al-Mubarakpuri

Abdul-Raouf
11-09-2007, 10:18 AM
From Shamaail e Tirmidhi, see this:
Abu Hurayrah:
Chapter 001, Hadith Number 002 (002).
--------------------------------------

Anas bin Malik (Radiallhu Anhu) reports, "Rasullullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) was of a medium stature, he was neither very tall nor very short. He was very handsome, of medium built and his hair was neither very curly nor very straight (but was slightly wavy). He had a wheat-coloured complexion. When he walked, he leaned forward slightly".

Commentary.
In this hadeeth Sayyidina Anas (Radiallhu Anhu) states that the complexion of Rasullullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) was wheat coloured. In the previous hadith, also narrated by Sayyidina Anas (Radiallahu Anhu), he states that Sayyidina Rasullullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) did not have a wheat-coloured complexion. This has been mentioned in the translation of the hadeeth. Actually, what is derived from the two hadeeth is that Sayyidina Rasullullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) was not of such a dark complexion that decrease the lightness and beauty of a person, but had a radiant and light colour, which slightly wheat-coloured.

In this hadeeth the word `Yata-kaf-fa-oo' is used regarding the walking of Sayyidina Rasullullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam). The scholars interpret this word in several ways. Some say it means to walk at a fast pace. Some are of the opinion that it means to lean a bit forward while walking. Some say it means to lift the leg with force. All three explanations are correct because the walk of Sayyidina Rasullullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) fulfilled all three descriptions and the word also conveys these three meanings. Sayyidina Rasullullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) walked quickly and not like the Romeos of this age who walk like women. It was also the noble habit of Sayyidina Rasullullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) to walk with slight forward inclination of the head and shoulders. He did not walk with chest pushed out with pride. He lifted his legs as men do while walking and did not drag his legs on the ground.
http://forum.ziyouz.com/index.php?topic=1467.0;wap2

NoName55
11-15-2007, 12:23 AM
He was the finest example to follow in everything. Everything Rasulullah Salallahu'Alayhi Wasallam did is called the Sunnat and Muslims should follow it.
is that why every idiot on earth is trying to become our leader/khalifah?

pity, no one consents to be ruled or serve their countries to bring about an eventual khilafat!

OK, when are you enlisting in the army? when are you becoming a politician, a judge, commander in chief of Muslim armed forces? << RasulAllah did all that!

oh by the way in times of RasulAllah how may wives were allowed for a man? should we ignore the Quraan where it tells us, marry one, or two or ....? because we want to emulate him in every detail. why not just learn basic fiqh and get on with life instead of making a spectacle of ourselves?

Everything Rasulullah Salallahu'Alayhi Wasallam did is called the Sunnat and Muslims should follow it.
who says?

~Taalibah~
11-15-2007, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
is that why every idiot on earth is trying to become our leader/khalifah?

pity, no one consents to be ruled or serve their countries to bring about an eventual khilafat!

OK, when are you enlisting in the army? when are you becoming a politician, a judge, commander in chief of Muslim armed forces? << RasulAllah did all that!

oh by the way in times of RasulAllah how may wives were allowed for a man? should we ignore the Quraan where it tells us, marry one, or two or ....? because we want to emulate him in every detail. why not just learn basic fiqh and get on with life instead of making a spectacle of ourselves?
Everything Rasulullah Salallahu'Alayhi Wasallam did is called the Sunnat and Muslims should follow it.
who says?
Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said:
"Follow my footsteps and you wont go astray"
That doesnt mean one is going to literally follow in his actual footsteps, where He (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) walked we walk!?. So same with following his Sunnat, we follow what he did to the understanding we are taught to. To follow the Quraan Shareef and the Sunnat is part of a Muslims duty. One has to understand how to follow it, and that we are taught by the Ulama etc.
OK, when are you enlisting in the army? when are you becoming a politician, a judge, commander in chief of Muslim armed forces? << Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wasallam did all that!
Rasullullah Salallahu Alayhi wasallam said: "a womans Jannat is her home"
So that is Sunnat too.

oh by the way in times of Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi wasallam how may wives were allowed for a man? should we ignore the Quraan Shareef where it tells us, marry one, or two or ....?
...three...four at most.
Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: Follow the Quraan
Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam obeyed Allah Ta'aala in everything He did. Lots of rules have changed since then and those rules obviously pointed out and taught in the correct manner for today
One requires to use common sense at certain points.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.