/* */

PDA

View Full Version : christians and non-literal understanding of the bible

Malaikah
11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi all!

I have a question, and I was hoping some of our Christian members could clarify.

I've recently learned that come Christians have a non-literal understanding of the bible... meaning they don't believe most of the stories, and see them as metaphoric and just told to teach lessons.

Apparently this even applies to Adam. Does it apply to other prophets too?

How did this come about, and is it wide spread? Also, how do they tell the difference between a real story and a fake story?

I really don't understand why they would ruin the religion like that!:omg:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
11-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, if by Adam you are referring to the creation story, Christians do not see Adam as a prophet anyway.

On the issue though, there are many Christians that take the Biblical accounts quite literally, and there are many who do not. The creation story in Genesis is a good example. This is usually the story that many Christians do not take as literal history. Why? Because they believe the author or authors of Genesis wrote the creation cosmology as poetic allegory. Primarily because of the use of human definitions of time(days), and the idea of two people and their children having incestious relationships in order to populate the Earth. Not saying that is my belief system, just explaining the different opinions on the matter that I have heard.

In the larger context, I suppose it doesn't really matter whether one takes the Adam and Eve creation story as literal history as long as the faith in God is there and one lives a life devoted to God. The Bible is indeed full of poetic allegory, and parables are used quite often as an instructional tool.

Trumble
11-09-2007, 05:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
How did this come about, and is it wide spread? Also, how do they tell the difference between a real story and a fake story?
Among all the Christians of my own aquaintance across several denominations it is universal .. they consider the idea of taking the Bible literally in all things, such as the creation myth, as utterly absurd. But it is a matter of allegory and metaphor, not "real" and "fake".

It doesn't 'ruin' it. If anything, it keeps it credible when obvious myths such as the creation story aren't taken too seriously, and certainly not as anything resembling historical fact.

Malaikah
11-09-2007, 07:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
It doesn't 'ruin' it. If anything, it keeps it credible when obvious myths such as the creation story aren't taken too seriously, and certainly not as anything resembling historical fact.
Right, then they might as well become atheist as they obviously don't think much of power of God if they can't believe the story of creation to be true!

To me it sounds like nothing more than changing the religion to suit the times.

Is this something new, or have Christians historically seen creation as a myth?

I would love the opinion of more Christians on this.

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
In the larger context, I suppose it doesn't really matter whether one takes the Adam and Eve creation story as literal history as long as the faith in God is there and one lives a life devoted to God. The Bible is indeed full of poetic allegory, and parables are used quite often as an instructional tool.
Of course it matters- how exactly do they decide which events are real, and which are fake? What if someone stands up and I says 'I think the trinity is a metaphor and that Jesus was never God?"

And for the people who don't take the story literally, do they even believe that Adam existed?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Isambard
11-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Right, then they might as well become atheist as they obviously don't think much of power of God if they can't believe the story of creation to be true!

The story was originally interpreted as a myth and only later taken as literal. You have it backwards.

Malaikah
11-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Have any proof for that, Isambard? :?

Trumble
11-09-2007, 08:45 AM
They just don't believe the literal version, i.e that the world was created in six days, or there ever was literally an Adam and Eve/tree/fruit/apple and such. That is not a barrier to believing in God as Creator. The creation myth is more saturated with metaphor and assorted symbolisms than any other story in religious or literary history... something that was recognised by Augustine, although he still believed the story to be literally true.

Of course it matters- how exactly do they decide which events are real, and which are fake? What if someone stands up and I says 'I think the trinity is a metaphor and that Jesus was never God?"
I'm tempted to say in same way that scholars 'interpret' the Qur'an to relate to certain things that are not literally stated in it. If someone did stand up and say that they would need to provide strong exegesic evidence to support their claim (a metaphor for what?) to be taken remotely seriously - I suspect if such evidence did exist it would have emerged long before now!

barney
11-09-2007, 08:51 AM
But it's a barrier to beleiving that the bible is a factual book inspired by God.

Malaikah
11-09-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm tempted to say in same way that scholars 'interpret' the Qur'an to relate to certain things that are not literally stated in it. If someone did stand up and say that they would need to provide strong exegesic evidence to support their claim (a metaphor for what?) to be taken remotely seriously - I suspect if such evidence did exist it would have emerged long before now!
True, to say a whole story, which is narrated in full as if it were a real event, didn't really happen, that definitely requires some real strong evidence rational.

Alternatively, if people really wanted to believe it (so they can fix the problem of clashing with evolution) it wouldn't take too much evidence at all.

If someone could provide the 'evidence' that would be much appreciated!

Trumble
11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Alternatively, if people really wanted to believe it (so they can fix the problem of clashing with evolution) it wouldn't take too much evidence at all.
That's not 'fixing' the problem, it's sticking your fingers in your ears, shouting "la, la, la", and hoping the problem goes away.

No evidence at all is required for people to believe in the creation myth as literal truth as a great many do, while while there has never been and never will be a shred of scientific evidence for it. Belief depends purely on faith in the authority of the religious work(s) in which the story is given.

I think it's important not to get too tied up with evolution in this context. It is still perfectly possible to 'attack' evolutionary theory and rely on God as Creator without resorting to creation in six days and Adam and Eve. Indeed for any hope of scientific credibility it must be done that way.. even a science that admitted the possibility of 'intelligent design' would still have no room for overgrown children's stories as historical reality.

barney
11-10-2007, 01:06 AM
... even a science that admitted the possibility of 'intelligent design' would still have no room for overgrown children's stories as historical reality.
Yet it's only a recent (ish) problem. As science progresses, Theism remains Static as in the case of Islam, and trys to warp itself convolutedly to fit cold hard reality like a square peg in a round hole, as in the case of Christianity and Judism.

I personally find it facinating that up to 100 years ago in the west, we were working with electricity generation, driving cars with combustion engines and beleived that the world was created in 6 days and Giant fish gobbled up naughty prophets.

It is only as our societys cleared of the coercion of religion thatwe were able to progress. Once we reach a certain point of rationality, the tales can be discarded. Todays Protestant Church likes to use the explaination of "These stories are a metaphor". Well if theyre a metaphor, how come you were swearing blind that thy were Literal not so long back?
Whenever Science brings us a new discovery, Theists are faced with a choice, Adapt or Deny.

Eric H
11-10-2007, 04:28 AM
greetings and peace be with you Malaikah;

If someone could provide the 'evidence' that would be much appreciated
I believe and trust that God exists fully and totally and he created the universe and life, I have no final proof for this. If I trust fully that God created the universe then he should be able to create all kinds of minor miracles by comparison, like prophets in fish, virgins giving birth, talking donkeys and life after death.

Why should any of these things be impossible to an all powerful God?

I believe that God had the story of creation written in the way that he wanted, it is up to me to search for meaning. The Bible is written to inspire people to trust in God and for them to do things, and it has and does.

In the spirit of searching

Eric

Eric H
11-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Greetings and peace be with you barney;
Whenever Science brings us a new discovery, Theists are faced with a choice, Adapt or Deny.
How is it possible for the story of Jesus to survive, he was only a carpenter and he had no power. The ruling Jewish authority condemned him to death and the Jewish Nation was under occupation. The Romans were all powerful at the time, they had their own Gods, why should they change their beliefs to fall in line with someone they had washed their hands of and left him to be killed.

The yearly calendar had already been set by the Romans to correspond with the Roman Empire and to show the greatness of Rome, why should an all powerful empire scrap their existing calendar and set the years to Jesus? After all the Bible is not very kind to Rome in the way they left Jesus to be condemned. Somehow the Roman Empire submitted its beliefs of greatness to a dead Jewish carpenter under their occupation, how does that make sense?

In the spirit of searching for inspiration

Eric

barney
11-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Apologies but i'm not too certain how your reply addresses the Quote you took.
But as to your reply, Rome would have and indeed did fall Christianity or no-Christianity, that was really to do with overextending, financial ruin, political intrigue and a load of hairy Visgoths overrunning them.

Jesus was indeed a carpenter, but a lot more than that. he was a superb orator and a successful prophet. He convinced thousands to follow him and gained the critical mass needed to acheive the success that all prophets need. His story has survived by this very fact, or at least a version of his story, focusing on the last few years of his 33 on the earth when he took up preaching.

If your asking why Constantine converted, then i would say, he knew which way his bread was buttered! Christianity was on the rise and the Roman gods were on the wane.

Umar001
11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Salam Alayki Sis Malaikah,

Yes, there are, in my view, increasing number of Christians who are looking at their scripture less literally. I think this stems from the scholarly work done on the Bible. The more is revealed the more doubt is produced, to the point that some doubt, I think with good reason, the virgin birth of Jesus.

I think the problem you have sister is that you face the Bible as you would the Qur'an. The Bible, according to some Christians is not the absolute word of God, rather it is a documentation of the history of God and His people. A work which recounts for future generations what has happened between God and his people. It does not have to be 100% Historical, and someone who takes it as such has misunderstood the point of the Bible.

format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you barney;

How is it possible for the story of Jesus to survive, he was only a carpenter and he had no power. The ruling Jewish authority condemned him to death and the Jewish Nation was under occupation. The Romans were all powerful at the time, they had their own Gods, why should they change their beliefs to fall in line with someone they had washed their hands of and left him to be killed.

The yearly calendar had already been set by the Romans to correspond with the Roman Empire and to show the greatness of Rome, why should an all powerful empire scrap their existing calendar and set the years to Jesus? After all the Bible is not very kind to Rome in the way they left Jesus to be condemned. Somehow the Roman Empire submitted its beliefs of greatness to a dead Jewish carpenter under their occupation, how does that make sense?

In the spirit of searching for inspiration

Eric
Simple, look at how disireable it is for man to hear about the worship of One GOd alone, many muslims actually turn from the trinity in Christianity and become Muslim because of this reason, imagine then those men and women who were worshiping statues and gods of cities and villages and so forth.

So we have the monotheistic persuation, on top of that we should take into account that the apostle to the Gentiles, Paul, apparently said new converts did not need to be circumsiced, this also helped many of those previously dettered, in my mind, and they also did not have to follow the whole Jewish law, something which would have been a big barrier.

Add to this the great story of Jesus, an amazing character, peace be upon him, a real prophet, so yes, given all these new circumstances it is easy to see the massive appeal Christianity had, no wonder it survived.

Malaikah
11-11-2007, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I think the problem you have sister is that you face the Bible as you would the Qur'an. The Bible, according to some Christians is not the absolute word of God, rather it is a documentation of the history of God and His people. A work which recounts for future generations what has happened between God and his people. It does not have to be 100% Historical, and someone who takes it as such has misunderstood the point of the Bible.
:sl:

Thanks for your post. I don't understand this part though- how can the bible be historical if is contains stories that apparently didn't happen? :?

Trumble
11-11-2007, 02:03 PM
There are far more reliable historical sources than the Bible that also contain much that is wildly exaggerated or never happened at all!

Umar001
11-11-2007, 05:26 PM

Thanks for your post. I don't understand this part though- how can the bible be historical if is contains stories that apparently didn't happen? :?
Wa Aleykum Salam,

Part of it, I didn't write it properly, is that it is not historical in the sense of it being a historical document, but rather it has stories, which are representative of God's communication with us. So you need to look at the meaning behind the stories, understand God's plans and wishes and so forth.

I don't get it much either, you're not alone.

Keltoi
11-11-2007, 11:14 PM
I think the difference here is that Christians understand quite well that the Bible was written by human hands...divinely inspired, yes, but not a word for word retelling of a monologue from God or something. I realize that Muslims believe the Qu'ran is basically a word for word retelling as recieved by Muhammed straight from God, but that isn't the case with the Bible. I'm not sure what the Jewish position on that is, but I assume it is similar to the Christian perspective on the matter.

Knowing that the books of the Bible were written by men without an angel or some other heavenly entity reciting verse, it opens the door for different ways of understanding and digesting the material. It doesn't mean those Christians who do not take the Genesis creation story literally are doubting God or God's ability to do what is written.

It sort of goes back to the way Christ taught, which was mainly in parables. Stories meant to withstand the test of time and still come away with the same interpretation. Knowing that Christ also taught by way of parables, many people read many Bible stories with that knowledge in mind, and look for the more significant meanings behind them, and not necessarily on their literal result.

Walter
11-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Malaikah:

I have a question, and I was hoping some of our Christian members could clarify.

I've recently learned that come Christians have a non-literal understanding of the bible... meaning they don't believe most of the stories, and see them as metaphoric and just told to teach lessons. Apparently this even applies to Adam. Does it apply to other prophets too?

The Bible must be read with a fair bit of common sense. If one simply reads a few verses, then you will not know whether you are reading a parable or a historical record. You must read it completely so that the verses are understood in their proper context.

Parables are identified as such. Historical records are also identified as such. The prophets explain whether they are describing a vision, or reciting a message from God, or providing a historical reference.

The principal problem is our unbelief. We simply do not believe that God did certain things so we interpret them as allegories or not part of the historical record. There are some whose faith is so weak that they mentally crumble at the first piece of conflicting information shown to them.

Thus, many simply accept evolution for fear of being ostracised and try to twist the scriptures in order to accommodate a conflicting theory. Others, when presented with some conflicting misinterpretation of history, automatically conclude that it is the Biblical account that must be wrong. Unfortunately they then teach their congregations to be as weak willed as themselves.

The problem can be solved if these religious leaders would simply critically analyse the conflicting information rather than intellectually surrendering in order to befriend the secular persons who challenge them. They seem unaware that those who challenge them have generally turned away from the faith of their parents or grandparents, but they know that something about it was real. The secular challenger then views the religious leaders with even more contempt for refusing to even defend the faith of their parents or grandparents.

For your information, the Genesis account of creation is presented as a historical account, and the evidence provided can be defended.

I really don't understand why they would ruin the religion like that!
I find it perplexing myself.

Regards,
Grenville

barney
11-14-2007, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grenville
For your information, the Genesis account of creation is presented as a historical account, and the evidence provided can be defended.
Great!
Can you therefore defend the assertion that God made the universe in 6 days and that Mankind came from two people.
One made out of clay, Like Morph.

and the other one ripped out of his ribcage.

Grace Seeker
11-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi all!

I've recently learned that come Christians have a non-literal understanding of the bible... meaning they don't believe most of the stories, and see them as metaphoric and just told to teach lessons.

Apparently this even applies to Adam. Does it apply to other prophets too?

And for the people who don't take the story literally, do they even believe that Adam existed?

Lots of great questions.

First let me say that I myself, while approaching the Bible from a rather conservative viewpoint, am not a strict literalist. In truth, I know no one who is, this includes those who claim to be.

For example, we are quite aware that there are many figures of speech in the Bible:
Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. (Isaiah 1:18)
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing.
A strict literalist would not interpret these as figures of speech, but believe that sins actually have a particular color to them or that Jesus had wings. But know one thinks that way because they are both obviously similes, given away by the use of the terms “like” and “as”. But similes are not the only figures of speech. Metaphors are another figure of speech and there are many of them in the Bible as well.
The LORD has sworn by his right hand and by his mighty arm: (Isaiah 62:8)
Again a strict literalist would not interpret this as a figure of speech, but proof that God actually has a hand and an arm. But sometimes it is hard to discern what is a figure or speech, a bit of poetic license taken by the author, and what is a description of an historical occurrence:
By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
when we remembered Zion.
There on the poplars
we hung our harps,
for there our captors asked us for songs,
our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
they said, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!" (Psalm 137:1-3)
This passage reflects on the captivity of the nation of Israel in Babylon. And these events certainly could have occurred just as described. But did they? Is the author in saying “we” referring to himself and a few others, or the whole nation? Personally, in reading the rest of the Psalm, I believe the author is talking about his own personal experience, and thus it is likely that something akin to this actually occurred, on the other hand I don’t want to put to much weight on that interpretation because I also see the author given to what I take as hyperbole as I wonder if even he wants his to literally lose the skill of his right hand or have his tongue cling to the roof of his mouth:
How can we sing the songs of the LORD
while in a foreign land?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill.
May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.
Remember, O LORD, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
"Tear it down," they cried,
"tear it down to its foundations!"
O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is he who repays you
for what you have done to us-
he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks. (Psalm 137:4-9)
Of course, in a passage like this, there isn’t much resting on whether it is literal or hyperbole. But that is not true of all passages:
If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell. (Matthew 5:29-30)
This is the teaching of Jesus with regard to sin. Pretty serious stuff. It is an effective point, it really would be better to literally lose and eye or a hand than to lose one’s life in hell. But does that mean that Jesus wanted his followers to literally do these things? Or again, is this a figure of speech, a bit of hyperbole used to drive home the serious nature of sin? We don’t see maiming being a practice that Jesus asked of any of his disciples or ever practiced in the Church. But here it is in scripture.

The answer to your question as to why not all people believe all parts are to be taken literally is because we understand scripture to comment on both faith and life and to be the standard for Christian living, but that it is not to be read in a vacuum. We read it in the context of its own time, try to understand not just the words but also the intention of the Biblical writer and what he was trying to communicate.

I keep seeing figures that over half of the population accepts the Biblical 6 days of creation as true. And over half the population believes in Darwin’s theory of evolution. So, someone out there is trying to hang onto two beliefs that just don’t mesh that well with each other, or maybe they simply don’t know what they believe. I tend to believe the majority of people are easily influenced by others around them and may not even bother to really think about what they are actually saying.

For myself, I understand a story such as the Biblical narrative of creation to be making a statement not about “HOW” the world came into being, but about “WHO” is the author of all that we see around us. One reason I accept this view, which does not require a literal understanding is because I notice that there really are two slightly different creation stories in Genesis. Now, some see this as a contradiction in an historical record and therefore disproving the Bible. But I don’t see it as even an attempt at a scientific or historical narrative of events. I believe it is a faith statement about the nature and character of God, his relation to the created order, and then mankind’s relationship both to God and to the rest of creation. But I also find it interesting, that when looked at on the cosmic scale, how similar the Biblical narrative of the first 3 days is to what happened in the coming into existence of the universe out of nothing that science attempts to describe. And then the last three days of the Genesis 1 narrative, again on the large scale, give an order to the arrival of animals that parallels that taught by science today. (I don’t think that proves anything, but I do find it interesting.)

Then in Genesis 2 there is a whole second take on what is important to tell. Now, if this was supposed to be a science text or a historical record, then it fails right there in that it gives a different accounting of the order of the arrival of things (man first and then God causes trees to grow, followed by animals, and lastly woman) than in the first chapter. Those who want to accept the Bible as intending an historical record have to do all sorts of gymnastics to make it harmonize. On the other hand, those who don’t think that the author was even trying to provide an historical record can relax and search for the meaning within the story. This doesn't mean that I don't think that God could not have done it this way, just that I don't think that the author is even trying to describe how it is that God did create, but simply that it was God who is the Creator (however it came to be).

But if that part isn’t historical, then how can the rest of it be? Well, not all of the rest of it is either. But as the Bible is not a single work of literature, but a collection of different pieces of literature, it is certainly possible for some to have been writing as allegory, others as historical narrative, and others as proclamation. The more difficult answer is how do we know which part is which. And the answer, sadly, is that sometimes we don’t. Sometimes we just study it, learn what we can, and then make our best guess as to what was the purpose of the author in writing it. Was the author providing his own interpretation or speaking on behalf of God? This makes the Bible a wholly different type of book than the Qu’ran.

Those who use the Bible need to remember not to approach it with a pre-determined point of view, but to let the Bible speak for itself. I believe that when used under the direction of the Holy Spirit, it still speaks to us today and gives guidance as to the nature and character of God, how we are to live in relationship to God, and the proper way to live in relationships with one another.

جوري
11-14-2007, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Great!
Can you therefore defend the assertion that God made the universe in 6 days and that Mankind came from two people.

How do you measure 6 days? If God created the universe does he have to commit himself to earth's laws of physics? Can he commit himself to Jupiter's laws of physics or uranus for that matter? :mmokay:
We don't know what the measure of 6 days is, by divine laws.. that is in 'ilm alghyeb' we have many verses in the Quran alluding to that measure of God's time being different than ours

you may read more on the subject here.

http://www.understanding-islam.com/r...=article&aid=4

As for the creation of Adam and his wife...well I'd gladly cast it aside if someone can give me a more sound alternative.

Some erudite member prior stated we'd all come from bacteria. I am game with that.. I'd like to know the process by which bacteria became human. And from that human it decided to 'bud' into not just male and female and tons of different species no.. it decided there should be at least six or seven different members all simultaneously at the same time as to avoid an incestuous relationship!

As for the clay part.. do tell when you die..do you not become a part of the earth or are you made of krypton?

cheers!

Malaikah
11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Thank you Grace Seeker!

I can see where you are coming from. I also understand why the first few example you gave would be methaphorical- because that is how they read.It is kinda obvious.

I guess I am not so convinced about creation being a methaphor (obviously- because Muslims believe it to be real) but I can see why many people would want to believe it is a metaphor.

Just one question, I thought the OT was meant to be the exact word of God, given to Moses? Or was I mistaken?

Grace Seeker
11-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Thank you Grace Seeker!

I can see where you are coming from. I also understand why the first few example you gave would be methaphorical- because that is how they read.It is kinda obvious.

I guess I am not so convinced about creation being a methaphor (obviously- because Muslims believe it to be real) but I can see why many people would want to believe it is a metaphor.

Just one question, I thought the OT was meant to be the exact word of God, given to Moses? Or was I mistaken?

And I'm not trying to convince you that the creation story is a metaphor. In fact, I don't think it is, because in a metaphor one thing is supposed to represent another thing, comparisons are being made, something I don't see in Genesis. But I don't think it is intended as either science or historical narrative either. That doesn't mean that I don't think that it isn't true, for it very truly identifies God as the author of all creation, and this is exactly what I believe.

On the question of "was the OT meant to be the exact word of God, given to Moses"? Clearly, No. Much of it was written after Moses. But perhaps you mean the Torah, the law which is contained in the first five books collectively known as the Pentatuech and individually as Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Then save for the closing section of Deuteronomy where Moses' death is described, YES, that is the teaching of the traditional schools of thought. There are other schools of thought, both within Judaism and Christianity.

Malaikah
11-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Oh, okay. Cool, thanks for your time.

barney
11-15-2007, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
How do you measure 6 days? If God created the universe does he have to commit himself to earth's laws of physics? Can he commit himself to Jupiter's laws of physics or uranus for that matter? :mmokay:
We don't know what the measure of 6 days is, by divine laws.. that is in 'ilm alghyeb' we have many verses in the Quran alluding to that measure of God's time being different than ours

you may read more on the subject here.

http://www.understanding-islam.com/r...=article&aid=4

As for the creation of Adam and his wife...well I'd gladly cast it aside if someone can give me a more sound alternative.

Some erudite member prior stated we'd all come from bacteria. I am game with that.. I'd like to know the process by which bacteria became human. And from that human it decided to 'bud' into not just male and female and tons of different species no.. it decided there should be at least six or seven different members all simultaneously at the same time as to avoid an incestuous relationship!

As for the clay part.. do tell when you die..do you not become a part of the earth or are you made of krypton?

cheers!
I know the Quran says "period of time" rather than day, or at least thats what is claimed.
Since in the bible God was talking to people on earth and he used the term "Day", it was accepted by absolutly everybody that this refered to 6 earth days, rather than betlegeusian ones. Unless God is supposed to live on a different planet?
Is God up there looking at the discovery of scientific evidence and saying "Actually it's several billion years, I just said 6 days as a bit of a laugh"

The theories of development of life are easy to read up on if your so inclined, but when you say "I'd like to know the process" What you mean is " I'd like to attempt to mock something I know nothing about and cant find out about because it's Shirk to try"

We return to the earth? Well not strictly nope. If we are Frozen we will remain very much fleash and bones. Am i being pedantic? No, because the spirit has left the body and , ooh look , we are still flesh. This however is irelevent, because what does decomposition have to do with creation. I am as likely to be created from Cream Cheese as Clay. In actuality I am created from a cell from my mothers body. A lump of plastercine had nothing to do with it.
God created Adam out of his special magic plastercine? I'd rather go with science.

Walter
11-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Barney:

I believe that we had this discussion already and simply agreed to disagree.

The Scripture says: “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”

When did God create the heaven and the earth? In the beginning.

When was the beginning? I do not know. That information was not provided. Perhaps it was 1 billion years ago. We would need to see whether we can determine this from any residual evidence on earth or in the universe.

When does the scripture indicate that life on earth was created? During 6 days approximately 6,000 years ago and there is plenty of defensible evidence for that.

Barney. Try for one minute to stop defending a position and simply want to know the truth. Look at the intricacies of life forms at both the macro and micro level. Does it not fill you with wonder. You can intellectualize that feeling of wonder, ignore it, or misinterpret it as some nostalgic emotion; however, it is actually a yearning or longing from your soul to worship your Creator.

Now regarding your specific concern about the rib. You must be aware that we can now remove a tissue from one part of one body and it becomes useful on another part of another body. If we have finally figured that out with our limited knowledge, why is it inconceivable to you that God with his limitless knowledge could not do even greater wonders.

Regards,
Grenville

Walter
11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Grace Seeker:

As I mentioned previously, and which I am sure you agree, the Bible must be read with a fair degree of common sense.

I have never met what you term a “strict literalist”. I believe that such a term was invented to simply dismiss the opinions of those who believe the scripture in a common sense sort of way and to compartmentalise them as some fringe silly group to be ignored. Who else but one with very little knowledge, like an infant, would believe that sins are actually scarlet red? If you are aware of such persons, then they are clearly misled and are in need of a teacher.

As to Jesus’ commands; anyone with a modicum of common sense would know that Jesus is not instructing believers to gouge out their eyes if they happen to sin. Of all of the millions of people who were and are so committed to following the Messiah to the point of severe persecution and death, I have never heard of any person so lunatic to do such a deed.

We should therefore desist from inventing or using such labels which only serve to detract from the actual issue. Let us critically examine the evidence for life on earth occurring as the Bible has stated. However, let us not relegate those who believe that life on earth was created in 6 days to the category of infants and lunatics.

Regards,
Grenville

جوري
11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I know the Quran says "period of time" rather than day, or at least thats what is claimed.
Perhaps you should read, I have no time for your claims!

Since in the bible God was talking to people on earth and he used the term "Day", it was accepted by absolutly everybody that this refered to 6 earth days, rather than betlegeusian ones. Unless God is supposed to live on a different planet?
I don't care what the bible says. In the Quran Allah doesn't commit himself to our laws of physics, if that is hard for you to comprehend, there is not much I can do about it!
Is God up there looking at the discovery of scientific evidence and saying "Actually it's several billion years, I just said 6 days as a bit of a laugh"
I don't understand what that means.. but I suspect you suffer these bouts of cachinnation often and for no good reason!

The theories of development of life are easy to read up on if your so inclined, but when you say "I'd like to know the process" What you mean is " I'd like to attempt to mock something I know nothing about and cant find out about because it's Shirk to try"
That is a nice segue for I don't know.

We return to the earth? Well not strictly nope. If we are Frozen we will remain very much fleash and bones. Am i being pedantic? No, because the spirit has left the body and , ooh look , we are still flesh. This however is irelevent,
Agreed irrelevant indeed. It doesn't matter what you decompose into.. the material you are made out of is still the same!

because what does decomposition have to do with creation. I am as likely to be created from Cream Cheese as Clay. In actuality I am created from a cell from my mothers body. A lump of plastercine had nothing to do with it.
Frankly you are a simpleton who couldn't get into any deep debate without a caustic remark I suspect it because you are so assailable and unbelievably ignorant of both theology and science

God created Adam out of his special magic plastercine? I'd rather go with science.
lol.. if science will have you?-- too bad you can't hold out a detailed topic in any scientific field, You misrepresent every theory and oh so skillfully and in the end convey science and scientists as lampoon...

cheerio shmo

Grace Seeker
11-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi Grace Seeker:

As I mentioned previously, and which I am sure you agree, the Bible must be read with a fair degree of common sense.

I have never met what you term a “strict literalist”. I believe that such a term was invented to simply dismiss the opinions of those who believe the scripture in a common sense sort of way and to compartmentalise them as some fringe silly group to be ignored. Who else but one with very little knowledge, like an infant, would believe that sins are actually scarlet red? If you are aware of such persons, then they are clearly misled and are in need of a teacher.

As to Jesus’ commands; anyone with a modicum of common sense would know that Jesus is not instructing believers to gouge out their eyes if they happen to sin. Of all of the millions of people who were and are so committed to following the Messiah to the point of severe persecution and death, I have never heard of any person so lunatic to do such a deed.

We should therefore desist from inventing or using such labels which only serve to detract from the actual issue. Let us critically examine the evidence for life on earth occurring as the Bible has stated. However, let us not relegate those who believe that life on earth was created in 6 days to the category of infants and lunatics.

Regards,
Grenville
Grenville, I don't think I relegated anyone to the category of lunatic. I spoke of strict literalists because it seemed appropriate to the way Maliakah had asked her question and to make the distinction between those who say things like, "God wrote it. I believe it. That settles it." and those who take a thoughtful but literal interpretation of large parts of the scripture. That first group seem to fail to realize that many non-literalists also acknowledge that God wrote it and they believe it becaue they cannot understand how someone might possibly come to a different interpretation than the one they themselves have adopted. What their mantra should probably be is, "God wrote it. I believe it. I have interpreted it. And I don't want to discuss it further unless you're willing to agree with my interpretation." Now nobody would be so ego-centered to actually say that, but I know many who mean exactly that when they talk about having a literal understanding of the Bible. Whether you fit into the first or second group of persons is for you to decide; I'm not trying to peg anyone in any hole.

barney
11-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi Barney:

Barney. Try for one minute to stop defending a position and simply want to know the truth.

Now regarding your specific concern about the rib. You must be aware that we can now remove a tissue from one part of one body and it becomes useful on another part of another body.
So God is using science! Wild stuff!
I suppose in years to come, with sufficent increase in scientific knowlage we will be able to say to snakes, " Lo, Cursed were you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You used to crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life., but now with the appliance of science you can have your legs back!" Hey presto! Walking Snakes. Might need to work a bit harder on their voicebox though. :D
Heck we can make Bushes burn these days, just pop into the whitehouse and throw some petrol on him.

Grace Seeker
11-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Since in the bible God was talking to people on earth and he used the term "Day", it was accepted by absolutly everybody that this refered to 6 earth days....
Well, not everybody. There are many who read "day" and then related it to where scripture says,
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. (2 Peter 3:8)
There is also discussion in some circles that the phrase yom ehad in verse 5 "the first day" can be better understood as one age. (Sadly, as I don't read Hebrew, I cannot keep up with the depth of that conversation in my commentaries.) So, I don't think we can say that abosultely everybody accepted the idea that this referred to 6 earth days or any other specfic length of a day. There have been those through the ages that have read this as simply referring to ways of marking indeterminate amounts of time. But I will grant you that the vast majority of people accept the idea that the term "day" refers to just that, one earth day, the time it takes for the earth to revolve once on its axis. Now as to the trickier question which you didn't ask -- what is meant by the terms "beginning" and "earth" is quite another.

I am as likely to be created from Cream Cheese as Clay.
And God is equally as capable of doing this as well. What's your point?

In actuality I am created from a cell from my mothers body. A lump of plastercine had nothing to do with it.
If you are going with science, then you know that you are not created from a cell from your mother's body. First, it took two cells, one from your mother and one from your father to combine and create one brand new cell. (How do you like my math? 1+1=1, but the Muslims here don't generally like that type of math when we Christians add three 1s together to get one. Anyway, I digress.) But that is not really creation, anymore than saying that when I take a tree, cut it down, saw it into boards and hammer it back together that I have created a house. I have constructed a house, but I haven't really created anything. We have to go back, and in doing so we see that you were indeed made out of star dust. All life on earth is nothing but animated star dust. And the stars, how were they created?
Approximately 13.7 billion years ago, the entirety of our universe was compressed into the confines of an atomic nucleus. Known as a singularity, this is the moment before creation when space and time did not exist. According to the prevailing cosmological models that explain our universe, an ineffable explosion, trillions of degrees in temperature on any measurement scale, that was infinitely dense, created not only fundamental subatomic particles and thus matter and energy but space and time itself. Cosmology theorists combined with the observations of their astronomy colleagues have been able to reconstruct the primordial chronology of events known as the big bang.
According to the theory you created from some pre-existant matter that occupied neither space nor time. Personally, I find it incredible that thinking men and women can believe in that concept, but cannot believe in a pre-existant spiritual being who created that matter.

barney
11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Grace, I actually beleive in a single creating force, and i even call it God. No worries at all these.
That we persist in thinking that it's still chatting away to us and is even aware that we exist is my leap of faith. To accept that it inspired the Bible or Quran is a Quantum leap. God wouldnt have written such nonsense. The early fathers (or mothers) who wrote it were trying to explain existance as we do today. But they hadnt our knowlage so they wrote of Fishes and Days and Clay and Ribs, and hey! It all made perfect sense to those who diddnt know better.

Nowadays we tend to warp the writings into a more acceptable " Its- a- metaphor " and the bible is a guide, kind of arguements.
It needs totally rewriting. For that we need a new messiah. If he dosnt arrive then just take the nearest pious person who seems to be talking sense and elevate him/her to godhood, like as a quartet instead of a trinity.

Grace Seeker
11-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Grace, I actually beleive in a single creating force, and i even call it God. No worries at all these.
That we persist in thinking that it's still chatting away to us and is even aware that we exist is my leap of faith.
It sounds like your god is not a conscious being, perhaps not a being at all but, as you said, just a creating force.

barney
11-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Well possibly. I can go along with the likelyhood of it being sentinent as the probability of this is IMO much greater than the coincidence theory, but both are valid.

I part company in this beleif with anyone who beleives or "feels" a connection with such a entity, wether they lived 4000 years ago or today.

Grace Seeker
11-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Wouldn't a conscious, sentient creator want to have communication with its creatures if possible?

barney
11-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Mayby, mayby not!

Is this force still around? How do we know that it's either omnipotent, omnipresent or eternal except that the fantasys that man has created in our poor orphan "Why are we here" state ,say that it is?

If it can communicate with people, and can effect things, it must be , by our standards , (and I think thats the standards to go by), Sick and insane.
It slaughters millions, It revels in conflict and blood, It slays for no reason, or the reason being a "Funny look" at their prophet.( Elijah) It drives demons ( LOL) into pigs instead of just banishing them. The list is endless. Why, I ask you honsetly, If you beleive in the Bible, would you want to worship a pagan based, animal sacrificing, human sacrificing, brutal, callous, unjust, dictatorial, murdering three in one deiety that, unless your a Mormon, stopped talking and interacting with people in 33AD.

If God wanted to communicate with us, he would just post a Vid on YouTube.

This may seem harsh, but i am fully prepared to back all of the accusations above.
I know religion does a lot of good, brings a lot of comfort, but we could do so much more without it. Simply connecting to that primal force ona personal level without the need for the dogma, the hatred and the slaughter.

Whatsthepoint
11-16-2007, 12:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-jJCKSnQaE

barney
11-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Splendid whatsthepoint! Not likely to stay up, but still splendid. Havn't seen that one before.

Malaikah
11-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Interesting. I guess youtube is the thing of today, isn't it?

Well, poetry was the thing of the Prophets time, when the Quran was revealed. And the Quran was revealed in a style similar to poetry (but is not poetry itself!!) and rivalled all the best poets of that day.

I don't know if you meant it or not, but you just hinted at the fact that God sends his message in the way that will best reach the people and impact on them (sad as it is, but youtube would be a pretty good candidate).

Grace Seeker
11-16-2007, 02:38 AM
Barney, I think Maliakah makes a pretty good point about God's choosing of a method to communicate with us. A better question might be why does he not continue to communicate as he did in the past. But trying to use human logic to explore the mind of God is like trying to use simiam logic to probe humanity. I'm not sure you can trust the results of your research.

barney
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
I like Mals comparison, nice one!

Walter
11-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi Grace Seeker:

Perhaps this will be instructive to all who would read the Bible.

There are and perhaps always will be some relatively minor differences in interpretation to certain verses in the Bible. With careful study, honest debate and patience, even these can be resolved. However, differences in interpretation assume that there was a basic understanding of the verse.

The example passages that you quoted earlier, like someone believing that sins are actually red from the “sins like scarlet” verse, must refer to persons who simply have not understood the verse at all.

Those who say "God wrote it. I believe it. That settles it." normally say this in the context of being pressured to compromise on what they believe to be absolute moral issues and not an issue that lends itself to more than one interpretation. For instance, God clearly stated that adultery and fornication were wrong. Some Christians would normally repeat the statement about “God wrote it …” in response to their peers trying to pressure them into engaging in pre-marital sex, for instance.

The issues with Creation, Moses parting the Red Sea, the Hebrew boys surviving the fire, Daniel surviving the lion’s den, Sampson’s strength, Jesus’ miracles, etc are what I believe Malaikah was referring to. Perhaps she can confirm this. These are not introduced as parables, visions, example stories, teaching metaphors, or any similar myth. They are described as historical accounts.

Some Christians are clearly embarrassed by these accounts and try to fit in by claiming that they are metaphors etc. If the information is not as it is described, then there is probably an attempt to deceive or confuse the reader. Let me clarify that.

If a passage is described as a parable, then we must assume that we are reading a parable and we understand it and interpret it as such. If it is described or introduced as a vision, then we must assume that we are reading a vision. However, if it is described or introduced as a historical account, then who has the authority to determine that it was actually a metaphor? Who has the authority to decide that what Jesus introduced as a parable was actually a historical account and not a parable? Clearly the Bible would then be a book of utter confusion. Actually, since one could never understand the Bible since one would not know whether one was reading a metaphor or an instruction, we would have to conclude that the Bible has been corrupted beyond all redemption.

As previously stated, the Bible must be read with a fair degree of common sense. To avoid understanding verses out of their proper context, the Bible should be read in its entirety before even contemplating forming a dogmatic conclusion on any one part.

Regards,
Grenville

Grace Seeker
11-16-2007, 03:22 PM
You are free to hold to that view. I just don't happen to join you in all aspects of it.

Walter
11-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Grace Seeker:

Fair enough. I believe that we agree on the essentials. Believing in the supernatural events as previously described may not be an essential requirement.

Best regards,
Grenville

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.